Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 15, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #32,881 of 48,562
Any recommendations between X1's, DT990's or HP200’s?

I currently have K612's but looking for something with a bit more bass and more fun. I also have a Mixamp. Main usage is immersion in games with some music mainly being rap and rock.

I might be able to get the DT990's for half of the price of the X1's but concerned about the treble peaking. Or any other headphones that are less analytical than the K612's but fun and good soundstage?

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #32,882 of 48,562
Any recommendations between X1's, DT990's or HP200’s?
I currently have K612's but looking for something with a bit more bass and more fun. I also have a Mix-amp. Main usage is immersion in games with some music mainly being rap and rock.
I might be able to get the DT990's for half of the price of the X1's but concerned about the treble peaking. Or any other headphones that are less analytical than the K612's but fun and good sound stage?

What is the Mix-amp connected to?    PC or gaming console? (details)

I would not consider the Mix-amp of bring out the best in the K612 Pro, or any other headphone.
Not really trying to knock the Mix-amp, for what it is, but there is better.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #32,883 of 48,562
What is the Mix-amp connected to?    PC or gaming console? (details)

I would not consider the Mix-amp of bring out the best in the K612 Pro, or any other headphone.
Not really trying to knock the Mix-amp, for what it is, but there is better.

Connected to PCvia USB and Xbox One via optical. I get the impression that the Mixamp isn't great and might be able to get the Sound Blaster E5 instead. It would either be a case of new headphones or the E5. Unless I went for the cheaper DT990's and I could maybe get the E5 as well.

I've got some Samson SR850's and prefer the sound of those to the K612's, the bass and tone fit better for me.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #32,886 of 48,562
Connected to PCvia USB and Xbox One via optical. I get the impression that the Mixamp isn't great and might be able to get the Sound Blaster E5 instead. It would either be a case of new headphones or the E5. Unless I went for the cheaper DT990's and I could maybe get the E5 as well.

I've got some Samson SR850's and prefer the sound of those to the K612's, the bass and tone fit better for me.

Keep in mind you and I have different ears, but the DT880 caused my first experience with tinnitus. The DT880 has less of a treble spike than the DT990.

I'm willing to bet the K612 sound lackluster off of just the Mixamp. I don't know if the full, actual sound of the K612 when properly driven will have the bass and tone you prefer, but I do know the K612 does sound much better with an amp, most future upgrades you might consider over the K612 in the future would also benefit from amping, and it takes a little while to adjust to a new headphone signature. Does anyone in your family have a receiver with their TV? Try plugging the K612 into that and listening to something.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #32,887 of 48,562
Fallout 4 is so addictingly captivating, I seem to forget about my real life and responsibilities. Freaking Skyrim all over again, for me...

:/

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #32,889 of 48,562
Keep in mind you and I have different ears, but the DT880 caused my first experience with tinnitus. The DT880 has less of a treble spike than the DT990.

I'm willing to bet the K612 sound lackluster off of just the Mixamp. I don't know if the full, actual sound of the K612 when properly driven will have the bass and tone you prefer, but I do know the K612 does sound much better with an amp, most future upgrades you might consider over the K612 in the future would also benefit from amping, and it takes a little while to adjust to a new headphone signature. Does anyone in your family have a receiver with their TV? Try plugging the K612 into that and listening to something.

Thanks Evshrug. Unfortunately nobody else has a receiver and after trying the SR850's again, I think I want more of a deeper sound. I did have an X1 that I was watching but that's now sold unfortunately.

Any recommendations on similar to the X1 sound? I've read good things about the HP200 too but I think the sound is similar to the K612? Also spotted a HD600 on eBay finishing in a few hours and still on £150.

I wouldn't think it would be this difficult to find a headphone similar to the X1 and SR850 sound.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #32,890 of 48,562
  I want to get surround sound on the Wii U with my AKG K702 headphones. I heard you need an AV Receiver that supportas LPCM 5.1 with HDMI in and out.

Wii U -> HDMI -> AV Receiver -> HDMI -> TV
...................................|...................................
..................................v...................................
.........................Headphones?.......................

Do AV Receivers introduce input lag or display lag? Which is the best AV Receiver for the Wii U?

Nah, the AVRs should be fine, it's the TV and a typical TV'a video processing that causes lag. Adding an AVR to your existing setup won't create more input lag.

This could be interesting for the Wii U as the transmitter will accept an HDMI input, but of course you have to use the accompanying headset... Tritton Katana HD: http://store.madcatz.com/Tritton-Kat...-Consoles.html

Mad Catz doesn't provide any details on what surround formats it will/won't accept, but they do mention "uncompressed" a few times. They also note that Xbox 360 compatibility for the pass-through is "stereo only" vs. up to 7.1 for the other consoles, including the Wii U. I'm thinking this means it won't do any decoding since the Xbox 360 actually can output surround over HDMI -- but only in compressed/encoded formats like Dolby Digital/DTS that require decoding, not uncompressed LPCM surround like the PS3, PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U can.

So basically it appears it will accept up to 7.1 LPCM and convert it to DTS Headphone:X for the headset... for $250.  Thoughts on this?

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #32,891 of 48,562
More hours spent researching this afternoon and I think I've finally settled on a decision. I'll wait to see if a pair of used Fidelio X2's come up for sale and I expect they'll be my end-game headphones...

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #32,892 of 48,562
More hours spent researching this afternoon and I think I've finally settled on a decision. I'll wait to see if a pair of used Fidelio X2's come up for sale and I expect they'll be my end-game headphones...

Good call, but I doubt they will be your end game:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back