Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 15, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #32,896 of 48,562
G5 allows the usage of your own headphones. That alone beats every forced bundle ********.

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #32,897 of 48,562
Well the Katana ticks all the right boxes except the fact that it doesn;t allow plugging our own headphones and mics.

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #32,898 of 48,562
Has anyone attempted to attached a modmic to the Th900's? Does it effect the paint or take it off when you uninstall the modmic? Want to add a mic for when I am doing some single player gaming but also want to be on skype. Any info would be appreciated.

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #32,899 of 48,562
Has anyone attempted to attached a modmic to the Th900's? Does it effect the paint or take it off when you uninstall the modmic? Want to add a mic for when I am doing some single player gaming but also want to be on skype. Any info would be appreciated.

Save a bunch of money and get a lapel mic from Amazon. I got three in one pack for a few bucks, they work great.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #32,900 of 48,562
Save a bunch of money and get a lapel mic from Amazon. I got three in one pack for a few bucks, they work great.

I'm using the Zalman clip on and its awful, muffled sound and picks up sounds from my very noisy room. Need something with noise cancellation as the room I'm in has tons of background noise.

Also, would like to have a mute switch as its frustrating to have to go into settings and mute the mic instead just reaching for a switch.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #32,901 of 48,562
Hello all what an awesome thread!! Alas after days of reading I have only scratched the surface, I cant read it all :)

Considering the following:

Audiotechnica AD700 or AD700x
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm

As an audio newbie who has only ever used Razer Kraken 7.1 headset I would love to get some advice on my audio setup for PC and 90% gaming, e.g Battlefiled 4.

I am considering the Soundblaster Z (although i understand creative are bringing out a new 'X' version of the E5) or the E5.

I dont understand the use of AMPs and DAC's in their various combinations. the SB Z has inbuilt AMP upto 600Ohm but I read about some people using another amp connected to the sound card...maybe a Schiit Magni or similar. Do i even need a SB-Z if I am using a dedicated AMP? Would definately be nice to have the option of 3D surround (7.1 preferebly) if possible. The E5 seems to be both an AMP/DAC?soundcard in one but is weak as an AMP? Pffffffff please help me understand.

Many thanks!!!!!!

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #32,902 of 48,562

The residue from ModMic base can be removed using a wet napkin so unless the paint is not water-friendly You'll be fine.
  Hello all what an awesome thread!! Alas after days of reading I have only scratched the surface, I cant read it all :)

As an audio newbie who has only ever used Razer Kraken 7.1 headset I would love to get some advice on my audio setup for PC and 90% gaming, e.g Battlefiled 4.

I am considering the Soundblaster Z (although i understand creative are bringing out a new 'X' version of the E5) or the E5.

I dont understand the use of AMPs and DAC's in their various combinations. the SB Z has inbuilt AMP upto 600Ohm but I read about some people using another amp connected to the sound card...maybe a Schiit Magni or similar. Do i even need a SB-Z if I am using a dedicated AMP? Would definately be nice to have the option of 3D surround (7.1 preferebly) if possible. The E5 seems to be both an AMP/DAC?soundcard in one but is weak as an AMP? Pffffffff please help me understand.

Many thanks!!!!!!

Gaming audio rig consistes of three different components:
  1. DSP or Digital Sound Processor that creates the virtual surround effect and sends it out as a digital signal to a DAC
  2. DAC or Digital to Analog Converter which converts the digital signal from a DSP into an analog signal and sends it to an AMP
  3. AMP or amplifier (duh) which amplifies the signal and then sends it out to headphones

The SBZ has all of these components built in. However, You can use your own AMP, or your Your own DAC+AMP to improve the sound coming off of the soundcard.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #32,904 of 48,562
[COLOR=222222]This could be interesting for the Wii U as the transmitter will accept an HDMI input, but of course you have to use the accompanying headset... Tritton Katana HD: [/COLOR][COLOR=01518E]http://store.madcatz.com/Tritton-Kat...-Consoles.html[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]Mad Catz doesn't provide any details on what surround formats it will/won't accept, but they do mention "uncompressed" a few times. They also note that Xbox 360 compatibility for the pass-through is "stereo only" vs. up to 7.1 for the other consoles, including the Wii U. I'm thinking this means it won't do any decoding since the Xbox 360 actually can output surround over HDMI -- but only in compressed/encoded formats like Dolby Digital/DTS that require decoding, not uncompressed LPCM surround like the PS3, PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U can.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]So basically it appears it will accept up to 7.1 LPCM and convert it to DTS Headphone:X for the headset... for $250.  [/COLOR][COLOR=222222]Thoughts on this?[/COLOR]

Hey this does look interesting, if for no other reason than it's the right direction for input and will get a lot of attention from gamers, and will drive competition well. Tritton's amps have been fairly hissy in the past and their headphones not the greatest, but this new one could be better, and it does tick the boxes for what mainstream gamers want.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #32,905 of 48,562

Many thanks!!!!!!

I have an explanation of DSP, DAC, and Amp here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal/345#post_12069824

I had a Sound Blaster Z, it was pretty good but the E5 would be a better amp, at least as good DAC (slightly different flavor). I also put up an E5 review in that same thread as the link, that should give you a pretty informed view why I'd recommend the E5 for you over getting a SB-Z. For PC, the E5 supports full uncompressed surround, so you'd get a heck of a lot of good use out of that :)

As for headphones, that's what this thread by Mad Lust Envy is for. I think the AD700 was pretty great, but a bit light on bass and musical enjoyment (perhaps too focused?). It's a decent start, but there are many other great choices depending on your tastes and budget.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #32,906 of 48,562
So, for gaming (ps4), movies and televison I plug my Beyerdynamics DT 990pro 250 ohms straight into to headphone jack of my Yamaha AVR with silent cinema.
The question I keep asking myself: Would my headphones/sound quality noticeably benefit from an additional external amp or is the Yamaha AVR enough to drive the dt 990pro properly. Right now I have to turn the volume up to like 30 - 40 % to get a decent volume out of it. I wonder if this is perfectly normal or if I should use an amp to further enhance sound quality. Any toughts on this? thx

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #32,907 of 48,562
So, for gaming (ps4), movies and televison I plug my Beyerdynamics DT 990pro 250 ohms straight into to headphone jack of my Yamaha AVR with silent cinema.
The question I keep asking myself: Would my headphones/sound quality noticeably benefit from an additional external amp or is the Yamaha AVR enough to drive the dt 990pro properly. Right now I have to turn the volume up to like 30 - 40 % to get a decent volume out of it. I wonder if this is perfectly normal or if I should use an amp to further enhance sound quality. Any toughts on this? thx

I think Yamaha ho impedance is north of 400 ohms. Good rule of thumb is ho impedance no less than 8 times the headphone impedance. I have a Yamaha and I prefer the mixamp Dolby headphone with a schiit amp to my k7xxs for both movies and gaming.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #32,908 of 48,562

The residue from ModMic base can be removed using a wet napkin so unless the paint is not water-friendly You'll be fine.

I am concerned as we all know the TH900's paint is very soft and seems easy to damage. I don't want to create a giant hole in the very beautiful paint.

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #32,909 of 48,562
  just a question, but why is no one using or recommending the sennheiser  game zero? Is it bad? i am considering buying those,

these should be the same as the PC 350 Special Edition/G4ME Zero. And although I kind of agree with what he said, I still feel like the PC350 SE/G4ME Zero does fairly well with gaming, especially when its for competitive gaming. It lacks bass of course but its there, its noticeable but the whole sound signature is neutral. Not everyone likes this type of sound signature but if you are playing competitively in a loud crowd (LAN parties, etc) or you dont want to wake up your roomate, the Sennheiser headsets will get the job done.

as for the G4ME One, its pretty much the HD558 with a mic, though some say its the HD598 with a Mic but both HD558 and HD598 sound similar that at this point, its doesnt matter, the headset G4ME One get the job done very well too. G4ME One is the PC360 from Sennheiser.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #32,910 of 48,562

these should be the same as the PC 350 Special Edition/G4ME Zero. And although I kind of agree with what he said, I still feel like the PC350 SE/G4ME Zero does fairly well with gaming, especially when its for competitive gaming. It lacks bass of course but its there, its noticeable but the whole sound signature is neutral. Not everyone likes this type of sound signature but if you are playing competitively in a loud crowd (LAN parties, etc) or you dont want to wake up your roomate, the Sennheiser headsets will get the job done.

as for the G4ME One, its pretty much the HD558 with a mic, though some say its the HD598 with a Mic but both HD558 and HD598 sound similar that at this point, its doesnt matter, the headset G4ME One get the job done very well too. G4ME One is the PC360 from Sennheiser.

I was generally considering the Sennheiser Game one and the hd 598. But what draws me closer to the Game one is the features of the mic, like raising the boom to mute, which i think is really convenient as well as the volume dial at the side of the cup.
Even though the modmic has a mute switch, it would still require a extra wire running down the headset (i hate wires, especially when its multiple wires)
So seeing that the game one's are based on the drivers of the *558,598* i think it would be best if i kill 2 birds with one stone. 
It would have been great if the mic was detachable, but sennheiser would have lost a lot of sale this way towards the hd 558 lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back