Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 15, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #32,911 of 48,562
Connected to PCvia USB and Xbox One via optical. I get the impression that the Mix-amp isn't great and might be able to get the Sound Blaster E5 instead. It would either be a case of new headphones or the E5. Unless I went for the cheaper DT990's and I could maybe get the E5 as well.
I've got some Samson SR850's and prefer the sound of those to the K612's, the bass and tone fit better for me.

The Astro Mix-amp is about equal to a $30 PC sound card, it's great for gaming consoles, but not the best choice for PC use.
Should not the mix-amp's USB port be plugged into the gaming consoles USB port, not the PC's ?

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #32,913 of 48,562
  And what about the game one? 

Seems to be about the same as the Game Zero, but with a new paint job and a new name?
Sometimes you can just change the look and name of a product and people will want to buy it because it seems new.
Maybe there are minor changes in the internal design?
but basically Sennheiser puts the same 50-Ohm drivers in a lot of their headphones and headsets

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #32,914 of 48,562
Game Zero vs Game One: One is open with velour pads, one is closed with pleather pads. IF it has the same drivers, it doesn't change the fact that they probably sound quite different from one another. Perhaps a similar tonal balance, but that's where similarities would end.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #32,915 of 48,562
So, for gaming (ps4), movies and televison I plug my Beyerdynamics DT 990pro 250 ohms straight into to headphone jack of my Yamaha AVR with silent cinema.
The question I keep asking myself: Would my headphones/sound quality noticeably benefit from an additional external amp or is the Yamaha AVR enough to drive the dt 990pro properly. Right now I have to turn the volume up to like 30 - 40 % to get a decent volume out of it. I wonder if this is perfectly normal or if I should use an amp to further enhance sound quality. Any toughts on this? thx

Which Yamaha receiver? I got a fairly entry-level $200 one, but it sounds fairly capable next to dedicated amps, and a fair sight crisper than my older DSS or Recon3D USB. I had a Beyerdynamic DT880 and an AKG K712, Q701, all three of those have a linear impedance response so the receiver's output impedance hardly makes a difference. Having some extra headroom on e volume dial is normal and desirable, though obviously an issue if you can barely turn the volume up at all and the sound is already too loud. You can get better headphone amps but be prepared to spend hundreds to find one noticeably better on a technical level, however I feel there are better surround DSPs than Silent Cinema.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #32,916 of 48,562
Which Yamaha receiver? I got a fairly entry-level $200 one, but it sounds fairly capable next to dedicated amps, and a fair sight crisper than my older DSS or Recon3D USB. I had a Beyerdynamic DT880 and an AKG K712, Q701, all three of those have a linear impedance response so the receiver's output impedance hardly makes a difference. Having some extra headroom on e volume dial is normal and desirable, though obviously an issue if you can barely turn the volume up at all and the sound is already too loud. You can get better headphone amps but be prepared to spend hundreds to find one noticeably better on a technical level, however I feel there are better surround DSPs than Silent Cinema.

The headphone amps in anything less than a $1,000 avr definitely don't hang with the X7, let alone anything better. I sold my (very nice) Pioneer VSX 1121K because it did everything well, except send audio out to headphones.

It's really a cost-cutting measure, I've read. My 2012 Pioneer blew away my 2006 Yamaha receiver in everything but headphone performance. Anecdotal, I know, but it supports the argument that headphone quality thru avrs has significantly dropped off in the last 10-20 years.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #32,917 of 48,562
*shrug*
Mine's from... Uh... 2007? Or so? Yamaha V371. Not all headphone jacks are equal, and certainly I'd be wary about buying a new AVR for the purpose of amping headphones, but my theory is try it if you've already got it and see if you like it. Can there be improvements? Sure! But it might still outperform a Mixamp or smartphone.

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #32,918 of 48,562
So, for gaming (ps4), movies and televison I plug my Beyerdynamics DT 990pro 250 ohms straight into to headphone jack of my Yamaha AVR with silent cinema.
The question I keep asking myself: Would my headphones/sound quality noticeably benefit from an additional external amp or is the Yamaha AVR enough to drive the dt 990pro properly. Right now I have to turn the volume up to like 30 - 40 % to get a decent volume out of it. I wonder if this is perfectly normal or if I should use an amp to further enhance sound quality. Any thoughts on this? thx

I plug all my 250-Ohm & 600-Ohm Beyers (DT770, DT880, DT990, T70) into my Yamaha RX-V671 and I think it does a fairly decent job.

Sometimes it's not that easy to hook up a add-on external headphone amplifier to the back of a receiver (not sure why).
and you lose the use of Yamaha's silent cinema headphone surround sound feature.

I'm thinking your better off selling off the DT990 and put all you audio budget into higher end Beyers.
Maybe pick up a used Beyer T70?

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #32,919 of 48,562
  I was generally considering the Sennheiser Game one and the hd 598. But what draws me closer to the Game one is the features of the mic, like raising the boom to mute, which i think is really convenient as well as the volume dial at the side of the cup.
Even though the modmic has a mute switch, it would still require a extra wire running down the headset (i hate wires, especially when its multiple wires)
So seeing that the game one's are based on the drivers of the *558,598* i think it would be best if i kill 2 birds with one stone. 
It would have been great if the mic was detachable, but sennheiser would have lost a lot of sale this way towards the hd 558 lol.

If you want to avoid the wire clutter, than the G4ME ONE would be the best choice. Both the G4ME ONE and ZERO have the same mic, with the same ability to mute when raising it up. But honestly the G4ME ONE is more comfy than the G4ME ZERO and the G4ME ONE is open back and has a nice soundstage to it and airy sound. I actually like them though I sent them back because my were badly used (bought them from AWD). Either headset would suit your needs but they do lean more towards the competitve type of sound compared to immersion. Their bass is noticeable but nothing like X1/X2 bass.

EDIT:

So I was just typing Creative Labs G5 and found this....nothing much honestly and wished he would show the rear of the G5 but oh well....

at least it would get your panties wet lol

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #32,920 of 48,562
Great! Thank you Evshrug soooooooooooooo much! I will read this today!

I think I am slowly narrowing this down. I think 3 viable options so far:

Sound Blaster Z --- Audiotechnica AD700 or Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm

or

Sound Blaster Z --- Schiit Magni (or Vali?) or Focusrite Scarlett Solo --- Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm

or

Sound Blaster G5 --- Audiotechnica AD700 or Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm

I think the last option appeals to me more becuase of the uncompressed surround! Although I don't really know how compressed and uncompressed sound compared to one another.

Would very much like to hear opnions on my choices here. I would love to read all the info on the site but it is not realistic :) I have already taught myself an MSc in audio in the last week with the amount of research I have done
blink.gif

PS: I am from the UK so Schiit here is relatively expensive, £90 - $137 US

the focusrite is £60

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #32,921 of 48,562

If you want to avoid the wire clutter, than the G4ME ONE would be the best choice. Both the G4ME ONE and ZERO have the same mic, with the same ability to mute when raising it up. But honestly the G4ME ONE is more comfy than the G4ME ZERO and the G4ME ONE is open back and has a nice soundstage to it and airy sound. I actually like them though I sent them back because my were badly used (bought them from AWD). Either headset would suit your needs but they do lean more towards the competitve type of sound compared to immersion. Their bass is noticeable but nothing like X1/X2 bass.

EDIT:

So I was just typing Creative Labs G5 and found this....nothing much honestly and wished he would show the rear of the G5 but oh well....

at least it would get your panties wet lol

Thank you for the video Rudyae86!!!!
tongue_smile.gif
Rumours of a December release?

Also thank you for the Sennheiser info (previous page?) Hmm so the Game one is essentially a PC 350/360?

I have been considering the PC 363HD headset for some time but read conflicing info about it. How does the PC 363HD compare to other Sennheisers like the game one etc other than, of course it comes with its own Dolby surround USB card (Iwonder also how good the card is).

EDIT

SB-X G5

You guys probably already know about RHA DAC/AMP above?  http://www.rha-audio.com/us/dacamp

No mention of surround though.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #32,922 of 48,562

You guys probably already know about RHA DAC/AMP above?  http://www.rha-audio.com/us/dacamp

No mention of surround because it doesn't have it. It's targeting the portable audio market, not the gaming crowd. If you get one to make it work with your system then that's cool, but it wouldn't be the reason why I'd buy one.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #32,923 of 48,562
Aha thanks Axel!

After much talking on the telephone with several retailers (both audio and gaming) no one can see the sense in running an amp from an internal soundcard to an AMP such as the Schiit magni and then headphones. The consensus seams to be one or the other other wise there could be serious latency issues, not to mention EMI issues from the internal sound card. So confuzzled right now :)

Mad Lust Envy; may I ask how you went about using Dolby surround on the AKG K702 (K701) pretty please?
basshead.gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #32,924 of 48,562
Aha thanks Axel!

After much talking on the telephone with several retailers (both audio and gaming) no one can see the sense in running an amp from an internal soundcard to an AMP such as the Schiit magni and then headphones. The consensus seams to be one or the other other wise there could be serious latency issues, not to mention EMI issues from the internal sound card. So confuzzled right now :)

Mad Lust Envy; may I ask how you went about using Dolby surround on the AKG K702 (K701) pretty please? :basshead:

Latency added by an amp is usually measured in nanoseconds.

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #32,925 of 48,562
Thank you for the video Rudyae86!!!! :tongue_smile: Rumours of a December release?

Also thank you for the Sennheiser info (previous page?) Hmm so the Game one is essentially a PC 350/360?

I have been considering the PC 363HD headset for some time but read conflicing info about it. How does the PC 363HD compare to other Sennheisers like the game one etc other than, of course it comes with its own Dolby surround USB card (Iwonder also how good the card is).

EDIT

SB-X G5

No, G4ME ONE is the same as the PC360 not the PC350 SE.

As for the PC363, I read somewhere that it's similar to the PC360 difference is that it's impedance is at 32ohm vs 50ohm from the PC360 and you get the sub dongle for surround sound But doesn't do Dolby headphone and uses a different Dolby technology, which I don't remember what it is.

Just stick with the G4ME One

Users who are viewing this thread

Back