Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 11, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #32,851 of 48,562
If you just want stereo sound... the E5 right now can take stereo input through optical (set the XBO to output PCM), but because MicroSoft is so [insert colorful word here] greedy you will need some separate chat solution. M$ requires a $35 or so royalty fee from the accessory manufacturer for each unit sold. So if Creative made G5 capable of connecting to XBO's non-Bluetooth wireless by adding an extra module, or USB, and sold 500 units, M$ would hold out its hand and demand $17,500 from Creative for the privledge of fixing the XBO's connectivity problem. If you've got some DIY skills you can splice together a long y-adapter to join the M$ chat adapter and output of the E5 or other device, but apparently the chat adapter cannot be manually set and sometimes will auto-decide to steal game audio too.

That, plus all of the initial "online only" and snide comments of an executive, and that some system update removed DVD playback from my 360 randomly, makes me say [colorful language] to the executive team at Xbox making these decisions, and I give up on trying to support them. The new controller and several of the XBO features are awesome (some clearly talented engineers and programmers), but my condolences to everybody who got XBone'd.

TL;DR rant: I highly doubt Creative went through the expensive process of adding native chat support for the XBone.
Same!
They said before that it should be the end of November/early December, similar production schedule as the X7.

I am hoping that they buck that trend and offer the chat support because right now I have all of my gaming consoles hooked up to my BenQ gaming monitor which is also connected to my PC. I then have all of the consoles and my PC connected to my X7. I turn on my windows 10 PC and I setup a party chat and leave my PC on. I then turn on my Xbox and setup a game so I can chat and game using my X7 with no additional cables. BUT there is an issue, I constantly get random popping when I do this occasionally and I am afraid this popping is going to destroy my headphones. I don't notice this popping when I am just PC gaming but seems to only happen when I am using my console and my PC at the same time. Its almost like when the X7 is trying to process sound from the USB and the optical at the same time the processor lags and causes a popping noise to catch up. 

Anyone have similar issues? Not looking to blow up $1000+ headphones on this X7.

If the G5 works with chat on both consoles. I could use that directly and have no ******** rigged up setup to get chat working. I can eliminate the X7 (nothing wrong with it but it doesn't play well when processing sound from 2 sources simultaneously) use optical out from my onboard sound card which has SBX to dac/amp and have access to SBX while also having much improved equipment for music..

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #32,852 of 48,562
The E5 is $200 (though sometimes on sale), the G5 is adding at least one feature to this, so we'll see about price. If the G5 truly is based on the E5, then the noise floor is inaudible on 32 ohm and up headphones, so that'll be quite good, though the noise floor is audible on my IEMs. The E1 is silent with my IEMs and has a much longer battery life, buuuuuuut it doesn't do justice with harder to drive headphones, like the E5 can. Optimized gear selection! Btw the E1 is still stronger than the PS4 controller jack's amp :wink:

So, does e1 dsp work with ps4? What about chat? Can you point me to your review? Tried looking for it....

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #32,853 of 48,562
  Well, I did at one point read the first post in its entirety. It's an amazing source of information and actually a pretty good read. Most of my audio-based decisions were based on the feedback from the thread regulars. Well, thanks to Mad and all those other people I'm a happy gamer.
While I understand that the amount of information can be a bit overwhelming I used to work as a customer support rep for a video game and I got frustrated whenever I had tickets that could be answered by literally copy-pasting an article from our FAQ. Over time I got used to it but it was still annoying.

As for the chat setup, I used cable from this diagram and a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable (about 3 bucks on ebay) to have voice chat on my PS4. Should work without a hitch with Xbox too.

Thank you for posting the diagram, exactly what I was looking for. But I did have a few questions on it. I see that diagram is for the 360, which I never owned, but I'm assuming it can be applied to the PS4 and Xbox one?

So it's cables A and B are USB and Optical, respectively, going from the Xbox...into what? Then it looks like a mic and headphone Y cable going from that device into another device. From there, looks like a 3.5mm - 2.5mm going to the xbox 360 controller and also mic and headphone Y cable going to headphones.

Can identify the devices for me please? Is one a Mixamp and one an amp? And since the PS4 and 360 don't have 2.5mm ports on their controller, what is the 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable used for with an Xbox one and PS4?

Sorry but I'm literally clueless about how chat and game audio work with the consoles. Right now I use my PS4 and Xbox One with a receiver and my Astro A50's, plug and play no wires or amps or other devices going everywhere, which I don't mind I just don't know how to set it up. If I could get a chart like that but with each device and cable labeled that would be awesome, or if one exists somewhere and you could direct me to it.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #32,854 of 48,562
  Thank you for posting the diagram, exactly what I was looking for. But I did have a few questions on it. I see that diagram is for the 360, which I never owned, but I'm assuming it can be applied to the PS4 and Xbox one?

So it's cables A and B are USB and Optical, respectively, going from the Xbox...into what? Then it looks like a mic and headphone Y cable going from that device into another device. From there, looks like a 3.5mm - 2.5mm going to the xbox 360 controller and also mic and headphone Y cable going to headphones.

Can identify the devices for me please? Is one a Mixamp and one an amp? And since the PS4 and 360 don't have 2.5mm ports on their controller, what is the 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable used for with an Xbox one and PS4?

Sorry but I'm literally clueless about how chat and game audio work with the consoles. Right now I use my PS4 and Xbox One with a receiver and my Astro A50's, plug and play no wires or amps or other devices going everywhere, which I don't mind I just don't know how to set it up. If I could get a chart like that but with each device and cable labeled that would be awesome, or if one exists somewhere and you could direct me to it.

Cables A and B are going into SoundBlaster Recon 3D surround processor but due to exact same inputs it can be substituted with any other gaming DSP.
The important part is the cable D which has two 3.5mm male jacks on one end, and three jacks (2 x 3.5mm mic and headphones and a 2.5mm chat jack) on the other end. Use the headphone jack to plug either headphones or an amp, the mic input to connect the microphone and the 2.5mm jack input to connect to the PS4 or Xbox one 3.5mm headphone jack with a cable such as this one. While the diagram shows an Xbox 360 controller, a PS4 or an Xbox One Controller can be put in its place. 

Found some connection diagrams posted here previously.

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #32,855 of 48,562
So, does e1 dsp work with ps4? What about chat? Can you point me to your review? Tried looking for it....

Sorry, meant to edit. Full reply to your earlier post here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal/345#post_12069785

And no, the E-series can apply DSP settings but cannot decode Dolby or DTS, and a USB connection to PS4 merely gives stereo audio (which can be processed but won't have accurate positional audio).

My E1 review and all my other reviews are linked in the first post of my thread... First post is like a table of contents, so people can freely comment and discuss but I'll always put the right link to an "article" on the table of contents.

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #32,856 of 48,562
Sorry, meant to edit. Full reply to your earlier post here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal/345#post_12069785

And no, the E-series can apply DSP settings but cannot decode Dolby or DTS, and a USB connection to PS4 merely gives stereo audio (which can be processed but won't have accurate positional audio).

My E1 review and all my other reviews are linked in the first post of my thread... First post is like a table of contents, so people can freely comment and discuss but I'll always put the right link to an "article" on the table of contents.

But the G5 can decode DTS and Dolby, correct?

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #32,862 of 48,562
I am hoping that they buck that trend and offer the chat support because right now I have all of my gaming consoles hooked up to my BenQ gaming monitor which is also connected to my PC. I then have all of the consoles and my PC connected to my X7. I turn on my windows 10 PC and I setup a party chat and leave my PC on. I then turn on my Xbox and setup a game so I can chat and game using my X7 with no additional cables. BUT there is an issue, I constantly get random popping when I do this occasionally and I am afraid this popping is going to destroy my headphones. I don't notice this popping when I am just PC gaming but seems to only happen when I am using my console and my PC at the same time. Its almost like when the X7 is trying to process sound from the USB and the optical at the same time the processor lags and causes a popping noise to catch up. 

Anyone have similar issues? Not looking to blow up $1000+ headphones on this X7.

If the G5 works with chat on both consoles. I could use that directly and have no ******** rigged up setup to get chat working. I can eliminate the X7 (nothing wrong with it but it doesn't play well when processing sound from 2 sources simultaneously) use optical out from my onboard sound card which has SBX to dac/amp and have access to SBX while also having much improved equipment for music..

Replied here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal/345#post_12070928

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #32,863 of 48,562
But the G5 can decode DTS and Dolby, correct?

Speaking of the G5, I've been contacting Creative on Twitter and they finally got back to me. Super disappointed to hear that it's been pushed back from November to December.

https://twitter.com/soundblaster/status/663598599515697152

Finally some info but that "dec?" Has me kind of worried we won't see it till February

Let them get it right. Better late and right.

I agree. Nobody wants it on day one full of bugs and inconveniences cough*X7*cough....too obvious i think lol

I signed up for that 30% of coupon so I'll probably have it day one lol I'll chronicle the heartache on here. Hopefully it comes out before January 31st just in case it's good enough for me to return my mixamp.

More replies here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646786/evshrugs-if-i-knew-then-what-i-know-now-discussion-journal/345#post_12070949

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #32,864 of 48,562
Hi after reading endless threads and posts all over the net. I've narrowed it down to x2, hd598 maybe get hd558 and mod them to be hd598 seems way enough. For ps4 mixamp and boom pro. Are the x2 so much better than the hd598 or modded hd558's to warrant the extra cash? I like the look of the x2 more than the hd598's. They are not ugly just remind me of a 1970's car interior. All help greatly received.

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #32,865 of 48,562
Yay! Been complaining about the mic output being too low? Behold, the software that comes with my Roland has an output gain adjustment. 3db does the trick right now.
Awesome! The Quad-capture was not the cheapest interface, but it sure is all I need.
Happiest camper right now 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back