Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 6, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #28,876 of 48,578
  Shouldn't You run this setup like this:

usb > dac/amp> headphone port of the splitter > boom pro > headphones

minijack extension > mic port of the splitter > boom pro > headphones

Actually, I have been doing that. I changed that shortly after drawing that picture. It didn't change anything though. I don't know if there's a way around it because of the way the boom pro is made.

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #28,877 of 48,578
I recently got the HD700 and think of it as an improvement over the K712. Treble less bright, more layered, more resolution, more prominent/extended bass, more realistic soundstage, better imaging, more comfortable. I do miss that K712 airiness though.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #28,879 of 48,578
  hello peeps! haven't been here for a long long while (wallet was safe in the meanwhile)
what did I miss :O

X7, K7XX, X2.  Sorry about your wallet!

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #28,880 of 48,578
Haven't touched Destiny in ages, but my FB news feed shows Xur is STILL managing to sell Sunbreakers even with all that new post DLC gear out in the wild. Bungie sure loves to agitate it's player base.

When in doubt, SUNBREAKERS.

I just find it hilarious.

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #28,881 of 48,578
Hey guys, I need some help and it seems this topic is filled with people with knowledge 
biggrin.gif

Anyway I'm looking to buy a pair of cans exclusively for gaming for under 100 bucks... everyone is telling to get the hyper x but I don't like the idea of buying a headset since I'm not interested in the microphone and from what I've heard you headsets are average headphones with a microphone, although this are not my words so please forgive if I'm wrong... 

Anyway I would apreciate some advice from an audiophile or someone who has had the hyper X and other audiophile cans to compare them, and as I said I'm not interested in microphones or any other of those features that significantly increases the money have to give for a normal pair (like wireless or 5.1 surround sound), all I really need is a nice pair just to play games with a good soundstage if possible

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #28,882 of 48,578
Hey guys...

Anyway I'm looking to buy a pair of cans exclusively for gaming for under 100 bucks... everyone is telling to get the hyper x but I don't like the idea of buying a headset since I'm not interested in the microphone and from what I've heard you headsets are average headphones with a microphone...

A good mindset, one that this thread was founded on! Well, that, and that you can add another device that processes surround sound and outputs a mix for regular stereo headphones. I agree with Mad's opinions, and fortunately the guide on the first post is organized by price bracket. You might want to consider if you want closed or open headphones, or if you'd be open to the idea to just buy a pair of the super-bargain Koss KSC75 for now ($10-$15 on Amazon, lifetime warranty), and then save up till you can afford something like an AKG K612, Sennheiser HD558 (just missed the $90 sale!), used MA900 from the classifieds, Creative Aurvana Live!... Check the reviews :wink:

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #28,883 of 48,578
Hey guys, I need some help and it seems this topic is filled with people with knowledge :D

Anyway I'm looking to buy a pair of cans exclusively for gaming for under 100 bucks... everyone is telling to get the hyper x but I don't like the idea of buying a headset since I'm not interested in the microphone and from what I've heard you headsets are average headphones with a microphone, although this are not my words so please forgive if I'm wrong... 

Anyway I would apreciate some advice from an audiophile or someone who has had the hyper X and other audiophile cans to compare them, and as I said I'm not interested in microphones or any other of those features that significantly increases the money have to give for a normal pair (like wireless or 5.1 surround sound), all I really need is a nice pair just to play games with a good soundstage if possible

Check the first page of the guide. MLE has reviews in every price range. I personally would look for a sale on a pair of hd558s.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #28,884 of 48,578
  Hey guys, I need some help and it seems this topic is filled with people with knowledge 
biggrin.gif

You know you can detach the mic from the Hyper X right? Also, they Hyper X are rebrands, which I keep forgetting who makes them but they are a know brand in audio. Also, depending on your preference of sound and what kind of gaming you do would help you out quickly in figuring out what headphone is best.

The 558  could be a good headphone for you.

Phillips SHP9500 is also a headphone I recommend.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #28,885 of 48,578
I picked up a Playstation TV on the cheap... Man is it nice playing Persona Golden on a big screen. Looks pretty decent and sounds fab from the X7.

Speaking of the PS TV...truly an epic fail on Sony's part. If they could have had all the necessary video apps( Netflix, Hulu, ect. ) this thing could have been huge. It's price point is similar to roku/ Apple TV and it could have done so much more. Oh well!

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #28,887 of 48,578
Check the first page of the guide. MLE has reviews in every price range. I personally would look for a sale on a pair of hd558s.

You know you can detach the mic from the Hyper X right? Also, they Hyper X are rebrands, which I keep forgetting who makes them but they are a know brand in audio. Also, depending on your preference of sound and what kind of gaming you do would help you out quickly in figuring out what headphone is best.

The 558  could be a good headphone for you.

Phillips SHP9500 is also a headphone I recommend.

Thanks I'll take a look at those two

The games I play are mostly open world, horror or rpg's tbh... games like ac unity and dying light (which I heard is pretty intense with a decent pair). In terms of shooter (the reason many people want to buy a good pair of headphones) I rarely play any.. a bit of counter strike here and there but that's it, so my main focus is for open world games which I'm guessing phones with a good soundstage would do fine
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back