Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 5, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #28,861 of 48,579
  I do both. Mixamp is usually half way between 50/50 and all voice and the headset adapter is max voice.

My set up is slightly different from yours though, I have a fiio e17 between the mixamp and my headphones (currently using a modmic as well). But essentially you should have optical & usb going from mixamp -> xbox then boompro into mixamp and chat cable from mixamp to the headset adapter. Make sure the boompro is plugged all the way into your headphones as well.

I have a pair of X1s and a boompro coming tomorrow so I'll let you know how my experience goes with it.

Thanks. The USB just provides power, so theoretically it can plug into any port for power (TV, Cable box, etc.), right?

I plan to amp, but don't want to connect everything at once and get more confused setting it up. I have an O2 and FiiO E12 and not sure which one would be better.

I am assuming the Mixamp sits between the headphones and the amp. X1 -> BoomPro -> amp headphone jack, interconnect cable from amp -> Mixamp headphone jack. XBOX headset adapter via 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable to the controller part on Mixamp. Do I have it right? 

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #28,862 of 48,579
  Thanks. The USB just provides power, so theoretically it can plug into any port for power (TV, Cable box, etc.), right?

I plan to amp, but don't want to connect everything at once and get more confused setting it up. I have an O2 and FiiO E12 and not sure which one would be better.

I am assuming the Mixamp sits between the headphones and the amp. X1 -> BoomPro -> amp headphone jack, interconnect cable from amp -> Mixamp headphone jack. XBOX headset adapter via 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable to the controller part on Mixamp. Do I have it right? 

I think you'll need an extra Y cable.  You're splitting the Boompro into headphone+mic at the amp.  Headphone goes into amp, then amp goes into a Y cable to recombine the mic and headphone (via amp) into a 4-pin connector.

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #28,864 of 48,579
Evshrug,

Just wanted to say sorry for viewing your post as something it was not. These days one person reads one thing, while the other person wrote it and meant it some thing else. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply my post and steer me in the right direction.

For those interested there is a new Hyper X Cloud 2 coming out soon. Stats copy and pasted via Amazon.

1. USB Audio Sound Card with 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound
  2. 53mm Drivers Neodymium Magnets
  3. Noise Cancelling Microphone via Inline Sound Card
  4. Echo Cancelling via Inline Sound Card
  5. 15-25kKhz Frequency Response
  6. Memory foam ear pads with extra set of Velour ear pads and Detachable Microphone
  7. TeamSpeak Certified - Voice Chat Optimized
  8. Compatibility - USB 7.1 Connectivity for PC & Mac. Stereo compatible with PS4, Xbox One (Xbox One Stereo Adapter Required, not included), Mobile

I was thinking of getting these rather than the first Hyper X Cloud. But would like to hear your input.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #28,865 of 48,579
Feb 6, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #28,866 of 48,579
  Evshrug,

Just wanted to say sorry for viewing your post as something it was not. These days one person reads one thing, while the other person wrote it and meant it some thing else. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply my post and steer me in the right direction.

For those interested there is a new Hyper X Cloud 2 coming out soon. Stats copy and pasted via Amazon.

1. USB Audio Sound Card with 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound
  2. 53mm Drivers Neodymium Magnets
  3. Noise Cancelling Microphone via Inline Sound Card
  4. Echo Cancelling via Inline Sound Card
  5. 15-25kKhz Frequency Response
  6. Memory foam ear pads with extra set of Velour ear pads and Detachable Microphone
  7. TeamSpeak Certified - Voice Chat Optimized
  8. Compatibility - USB 7.1 Connectivity for PC & Mac. Stereo compatible with PS4, Xbox One (Xbox One Stereo Adapter Required, not included), Mobile

I was thinking of getting these rather than the first Hyper X Cloud. But would like to hear your input.

It will all depend on how good the USB sound card is and what kind of tech they're using. If it doesn't hold up to DH or SBX then I imagine the price difference will not be worth it. But that could be proven wrong, of course.

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #28,867 of 48,579
Crazy question......but........Anyone try to set up a Hugo chord yet?

Stillhart! And he was super impressed!

Evshrug,

Just wanted to say sorry for viewing your post as something it was not. These days one person reads one thing, while the other person wrote it and meant it some thing else.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt and chance to make better!
That headset sounds promising, kingston's stepping up their game. Most headsets in the past like that used DH, 7.1 surround makes me suspect it PROBABLY does too but it may not. GL!

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #28,868 of 48,579

I figured it was probably hard to tell what I was talking about, so here's an illustration.

This is my current chain, the problem is that because of the amplifier, the internal sound/etc from my desktop is being amplified once the mic-in cable reconnects with the headphone-in.

Is there any way to prevent this?

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #28,869 of 48,579

I figured it was probably hard to tell what I was talking about, so here's an illustration.

This is my current chain, the problem is that because of the amplifier, the internal sound/etc from my desktop is being amplified once the mic-in cable reconnects with the headphone-in.

Is there any way to prevent this?

Shouldn't You run this setup like this:

usb > dac/amp> headphone port of the splitter > boom pro > headphones

minijack extension > mic port of the splitter > boom pro > headphones

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #28,871 of 48,579
Stillhart! And he was super impressed!
Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt and chance to make better!
That headset sounds promising, kingston's stepping up their game. Most headsets in the past like that used DH, 7.1 surround makes me suspect it PROBABLY does too but it may not. GL!

Kingston just rebrands those headphones but from what I have read and seen youtube videos.......They are pretty good for the price and with all those features under 100 bucks, makes it right for those that dont have the money for a higher end set up.

Honestly, I kind of want to buy a pair and see what all the fuzz is about, would probably buy them and keep it at my parents house whenever I go visit and play games on my PS3 or other old school systems (PS2, GamCube, PC with XP, etc)

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #28,872 of 48,579

Literally just got my X1 and boompro set up. I have it as follows...

X1/boompro -> supplied splitter (splits headphone and mic into separate 3.5mm jacks) -> headphone jack to amp -> amp to headphone in, mic jack to mic in (another splitter here to take separate headphone & mic inputs) -> mixamp -> Xbox via optical

FWIW i'm using a Fiio e17 and can't complain.

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #28,873 of 48,579
Literally just got my X1 and boompro set up. I have it as follows...

X1/boompro -> supplied splitter (splits headphone and mic into separate 3.5mm jacks) -> headphone jack to amp -> amp to headphone in, mic jack to mic in (another splitter here to take separate headphone & mic inputs) -> mixamp -> Xbox via optical

FWIW i'm using a Fiio e17 and can't complain.

I'm waiting for my X1 to come in from the Amazon Lightning deal this week, I am going to be using it with a boom mic and an x7 and I'm moving my hyperx clouds to my Xbox one and ps4. What are your thoughts on the headphone for gaming?

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #28,874 of 48,579

worth the money?

That's a very subjective question.  Depends on your needs etc etc etc.  Do you need a portable super-high-end DAC with tons of connectivity?  I can't imagine many people who need the really specific combination of value items this thing has.

For me, it's clearly not worth the money.  If you don't need portable, you can get the upcoming Schiit Yggdrasil for less money; it's supposed to sound better than just about any other DAC under $10k if you believe the folks who have heard it so far.  Or if you need portable, you can get an AK120 DAP, which is supposed to sound really good for half the cost of the Hugo.  etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Hugo sounds absolutely phenominal.  But I don't think it's worth the money.

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #28,875 of 48,579
I'm waiting for my X1 to come in from the Amazon Lightning deal this week, I am going to be using it with a boom mic and an x7 and I'm moving my hyperx clouds to my Xbox one and ps4. What are your thoughts on the headphone for gaming?

I've only been using them for about 30-60 minutes but I'm pretty stoked on them. I have a pair of ultrasone pro900s and a pair of hd598s and the X1 is like the glorious love child of those cans. Destiny and Farcy 4 sound pretty BA through them. Very fun headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back