Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 17, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #28,501 of 48,579
InSeconds99,
I'd rate the HD700's soundstage as just the upper range of average-sized for a headphone. Stand-outs that I'VE HEARD for soundstage are the AKG K-series (in particular the K701 or 702), Audio Technica AD700, and Sony MDR-MA900. Soundstage in general is something to manage expectations with on headphones, but I thought those were pretty impressive with their sense of air. Some people don't like the extra soundstage of these models and deem them "unnatural and exaggerated." Not saying you have to buy another pair of headphones, but Chicolom has a thread about soundstage.
-----

Yethal,
It's an alright option, ebay'd DSS version 1 is often found (with optical cable and USB) for $30 or less, has less background noise, so generally less likely to recommend unless you already have the Tritton. Review of it is in the OP under the headphones.

I have to agree with you, they are very average. In a way they remind me of a closed back headphone. Also, I've noticed that my hear touches the driver and that becomes a little annoying. Going to order a couple more pairs of headphones this weekend and I'm going to return what I don't like. Gonna order the x2 dt990 and ma900. I'll report back on comparisons.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #28,503 of 48,579
^Holy!
Your ears touch the drivers? Uuuuuuuuuuuh, uuuuh... well, your ears will probably touch the drivers of any headphone short of the AKG K1000.

Yeah, I was nowhere close to the drivers on the HD700.  Those things felt cavernous...

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #28,504 of 48,579
So I am thinking about getting the Phillips X2, how well will it work if I just connect it to the PS4 Controller directly and not with a amp of some sort?

Not well. The controller is too weak for it, and you'll get moderately low volume.

The X2 is easy to drive from basically most sources, but the DS4 output is pathetic.

BTW, the X2 may be easy to drive to loud volumes, but it is very sensitive to whatever is amping it. It's neutral tone will change depending on source and amp. So I recommend something at least decent.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #28,505 of 48,579
With great regret I must return my AKG K712 Pro's. They sound great but unfortunately my melon is on the small side for these to obtain a proper fit. Not enough clamping so they fit loosely. Too much movement with these on. Every time I move so do the cans. 

Any suggestions on a comparable level with better clamping or at least more of a fit for a smaller noggin?

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #28,506 of 48,579
Sennheiser HD650. Those clamp like a beast at first. Unfortunately not many headphones like the K712s in signature AND soundstage. 650, MA900 (as a cheaper alternative).

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #28,507 of 48,579
Sennheiser HD650. Those clamp like a beast at first. Unfortunately not many headphones like the K712s in signature AND soundstage. 650, MA900 (as a cheaper alternative).

Yeah, the HD650 was my first thought too, but it doesn't really sound like the Q701 at all (and therefore, I assume it doesn't sound like the K712 either).  Great headphone but different sound signature.

Someone posted something this morning or last night on the Deals thread about an HD650 on sale for $320...

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #28,508 of 48,579
Thanks guys have to take a look at them.

Any other suggestions. I was originally looking at the DT990 as well as the Fidelio X2. How are these as far as fit? Any tighter clamping compared to the K12's? Doesn't have to be super clamp but just a bit more pressure than the K12.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #28,509 of 48,579
Ah yes the X2 clamps quite a bit more than the 712. The tonality is different though, but I still wholeheartedly recommend it as an alternative. It's a great sounding headphone, period. It will still have a large soundstage, great tonal balance, and all rounded nature. Bass is fantastic for an open headphone too. Lots of energy, with great minds, and treble.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #28,510 of 48,579
Good to hear. Like I said, I don't need much more clamping. Just a bit more than what the K12 provides. Damn shame as I think these sound great.

I've been reading good things about the X2. How are they driving wise? I currently am using an ASUS Xonar Xense that has served me well but am looking to get a dedicated AMP/DAC. I have 2 PC's and would like to use the cans on both. Any suggestions for these? Surround as well.

Thanks

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #28,511 of 48,579
They are a bit easier to drive than the 712. Don't need much, I would just make sure the source is high quality.

As for soundcards and whatnot, there are plenty of people that can help. I'm not here to bring back those tired discussions.

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #28,512 of 48,579
They are a bit easier to drive than the 712. Don't need much, I would just make sure the source is high quality.

As for soundcards and whatnot, there are plenty of people that can help. I'm not here to bring back those tired discussions.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Don't want to bring up worn topics. I'm good on the soundcard direction. More looking at other options not using an onboard  or soundcard. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #28,514 of 48,579
I don't understand why some users buy headfones by the tastes of others, when we know most headfones has a smaller soundstage than  K702, would be those should have purchased if we want big soundstage.
Within this price, the MA900 are the ones with more soundstage and feeling of air, has more than K702 due to openings in the pads, if somehow we can make holes in the K702 pads will have large and airy soundstage as in MA900. I hope someday to buy a second pair of K702 pads to make some openings pad mods.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #28,515 of 48,579
I have to agree with you, they are very average. In a way they remind me of a closed back headphone. Also, I've noticed that my hear touches the driver and that becomes a little annoying. Going to order a couple more pairs of headphones this weekend and I'm going to return what I don't like. Gonna order the x2 dt990 and ma900. I'll report back on comparisons.

Touching the drivers? On the HD 700? You must have ears with a more considerable angle than mine. I can't think of a time when mine have touched those drivers. I do have headphones where it has happened but they were terrible anyway and we don't talk about them. I wasn't a fan of the DT990 and I haven't heard the MA900 but I have read good things about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back