Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 16, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #28,486 of 48,568
What was the name of third party (company) that was selling the X7 on Amazon for $279.99? It's now being sold by Creative Labs, fulfilled by Amazon, hence the original retail price. 

It wasn't third party it was creative labs. The sale was there all day and it's ended now it looks like, not sure why they'd only have their item on sale for a few hours but that's what they did.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #28,487 of 48,568
I just need to sell my OLED Vita, PS3, Mixamp 5.8, and I'd consider it once it drops down that much again. I hardly ever touch my Vita, and my Ps3 is collecting dust. Obviously my Mixamp would go last once I'm certain to get the X7.

Shoot, that's another reason for me to sell the MA900 right there! Been meaning to pick up a Vita and just never got around to it...

But if I get one, there's no going back from OLED, even with all the other improvements of the revised Vita.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #28,488 of 48,568

Shoot, that's another reason for me to sell the MA900 right there! Been meaning to pick up a Vita and just never got around to it...

But if I get one, there's no going back from OLED, even with all the other improvements of the revised Vita.

Yeah, my eye perked up at that Vita also.  But I need a HE-1000 more.  >.>

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #28,489 of 48,568
Yea, I get quite a bit of use out of my Vita just using remote play. Not to mention all the free games from PS+.

I ended up grabbing one of the X7's when Creative had it on sale on Amazon. I am interested to compare it to the Astro MixAmp Pro & DSS2 for gaming. I am also curious to see how the input mixing works. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #28,490 of 48,568
Headphone.com has a sale going right now with some good deals that people in this thread might like.  20% off with coupon code HRNEWS20.  This also applies to items currently on sale! Notables for me:

Skullcandy PLYR1 for $119 after sale + coupon.  This is a great little all-in-one wireless surround headset.  It blows the Playstation Gold out of the water IMO.  It's nothing special but it gets the job done with minimal cables and for really cheap.

Fiio E09k (B-stock) for $68 after sale + coupon.  Not much to say other than this is a pretty good price for a solid entry-level desktop amp.  I am really considering grabbing one of these actually.  I'm using the Project Ember to amp my Recon right now but I'll be selling the Ember and I've been thinking about getting a cheaper replacement like this or a used Magni or Vali or whathaveyou.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #28,491 of 48,568
Hmm well trying out the x7 and I gotta say the sound is fantastic. One thing tho is that sometimes I get weird static and when listening to soundtracks, it has some really weird static sometimes. So when it works, it works really well. Not sure if it is software though since it is working sometimes :/ EvShrug, did you have any issues with this?

EDIT: Seems that plugging the device into usb 3.0 is not a good thing to do. The static is completely gone now! Or maybe it is the USB (MOBO is starting to show signs of age anyway). 

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #28,493 of 48,568
No kidding... It sounded really weird :/ Thankfully I swapped the usb before deciding to return it!

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #28,494 of 48,568
No kidding... It sounded really weird :/ Thankfully I swapped the usb before deciding to return it!

XD
Well, that's your reward for not jumping to conclusions :)

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #28,496 of 48,568
  So I am thinking about getting the Phillips X2, how well will it work if I just connect it to the PS4 Controller directly and not with a amp of some sort?

They're relatively easy to drive, so should work fine.  

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #28,497 of 48,568
Magni 1 and Modi 1 are $79 each right now direct from Schiit.  They're listed as "B-stock/Closeout" so I assume it's a "while supplies last" kind of thing.

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #28,498 of 48,568
So I am thinking about getting the Phillips X2, how well will it work if I just connect it to the PS4 Controller directly and not with a amp of some sort?

I am thinking about returning my HD 700's as even though I love the way the headphones sound but I don't experience this soundstage that everyone is speaking about. I feel like the soundstage is only marginally better then my m-100's. Maybe I'm missing something here but I feel like maybe the x2 might be the next headphone I try.

I'm just concerned as in I think the sound of the HD 700's is near perfect for what I was looking for, but the soundstage is not as large as I wanted for gaming. This is gonna be a tough choice.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #28,499 of 48,568
On this whole virtual surround battle one contender seems to have been foroggten. Tritton AX720+ decoder box. The box itself can be bought direct from Tritton for 35$ + 10$ for the inline cable (unfortunately it's necessary). That's 45$ in total which is even less than half the cost of a new mixamp. Even adding in cost of a mini usb cable (which most of users already have), optical (ditto) and a chat cable for xbox/ps4 that's still much much less than a mixamp.  Also, the newer model does not need an AC adapter to function.

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #28,500 of 48,568
InSeconds99,
I'd rate the HD700's soundstage as just the upper range of average-sized for a headphone. Stand-outs that I'VE HEARD for soundstage are the AKG K-series (in particular the K701 or 702), Audio Technica AD700, and Sony MDR-MA900. Soundstage in general is something to manage expectations with on headphones, but I thought those were pretty impressive with their sense of air. Some people don't like the extra soundstage of these models and deem them "unnatural and exaggerated." Not saying you have to buy another pair of headphones, but Chicolom has a thread about soundstage.
-----

Yethal,
It's an alright option, ebay'd DSS version 1 is often found (with optical cable and USB) for $30 or less, has less background noise, so generally less likely to recommend unless you already have the Tritton. Review of it is in the OP under the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back