Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 18, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #28,516 of 48,579
I don't understand why some users buy headfones by the tastes of others, when we know most headfones has a smaller soundstage than  K702, would be those should have purchased if we want big soundstage.
Within this price, the MA900 are the ones with more soundstage and feeling of air, has more than K702 due to openings in the pads, if somehow we can make holes in the K702 pads will have large and airy soundstage as in MA900. I hope someday to buy a second pair of K702 pads to make some openings pad mods.

Sure, if you want to destroy all the sound quality. You can't simply just copy the MA900's design and expect similar results. The MA900's technology is quite different from standard dynamic headphones. You try putting openings on pads, you'll suck out all the bass and warmth, and it will be nothing but treble.

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #28,518 of 48,579
Not well. The controller is too weak for it, and you'll get moderately low volume.

The X2 is easy to drive from basically most sources, but the DS4 output is pathetic.

BTW, the X2 may be easy to drive to loud volumes, but it is very sensitive to whatever is amping it. It's neutral tone will change depending on source and amp. So I recommend something at least decent.

If you had only one choice for gaming, ma900 or the fidelio x2, which one would you choose.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #28,519 of 48,579
If you had only one choice for gaming, ma900 or the fidelio x2, which one would you choose.

If I was a gambling man, I'd wager that Mad will always appreciate the low-weight-low-clamp comfort and impressive air and imaging of the MA900, but the handsome X2 seems to address the quibbles he had for the X1, for one headphone to enjoy games and anime I bet he'd pick the X2. You can tell he liked both the X1 and MA900 from his reviews.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #28,520 of 48,579
X2 is better rounded than the MA900. The MA900 has a signature that not everyone will like. The X2 has a signature that should hit quite a bit more preferences.

I love both, but the X2 is superior overall.

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #28,522 of 48,579
I love both, but the X2 is superior overall.

Thanks for the guide! Couple questions for you.

I'm currently using the Bose QC15; those were primarily purchased for their ANC that really helps me out when I'm on the move somewhere. It's the best pair of headphones I've used, but from what I've read, I can definitely do better in terms of pure music and gaming usage. My next set is going to be geared primarily towards gaming (80% PC, 20% PS4) and a smaller portion for YouTube/Netflix.

I really liked the fact that the Bose set is extremely comfortable, even after hours on my head. It has an attached mic on there, which would be good for things like the PS4, but does not help when I play on the PC as I have a dedicated mic. However, a detachable keyboard would be nice since I typically run over the cord and the detach feature has likely saved me from completely damaging the Bose set. Consequently, the AKG K612 is sadly out of the running for that reason alone.

I am not looking for any isolation, so an open back headphone would be acceptable this time around. I would like a high rated "competitive" element as you put it in your OP. I primarily play DOTA and the occasional shooter.

I have the Asus Xonar DG sound card, so whatever impedance it can drive, is about all I can handle. I don't think it can go past 150 ohms, but I'm not 100% sure. I also have an extension Y cable on it (for back when I used to use the Bose's in-line mic) and for when I wanted to switch back and forth from my speakers. I still use the extension cable, but without the mic cable as I have a USB mic now. Not sure if the 2-3" extension cable would reduce quality or ohms allowance. Do you think it would?

Definitely looking for full size headphones, like the Bose QC15. I think I prefer when they rest over and past my ears, instead of on them. Comfort is very important to me, as is positional audio. The Asus sound card also does 5.1 Dolby, I think. I don't think I would want to spend on a dedicated amp at this time, so no Schiit models for me.

With a soft limit of $250, and a hard limit of $300, the AKG K712 Pro just seems to be a bit out of my willingness to spend (since taxes on Amazon will put it close to $400 for me). You seemed to like that unit very much in your review. But if I need to, I'll spend the money. However, some people are not pleased (on Amazon) that some AKG units are now made in China instead of Austria. Is that a problem?

And besides straight buying them online, is there no local retailer in the US that carries these units? I'm seeing my purchase options as only Amazon and I'd like to try before I buy, if at all possible.

Do you have any recommendations based on the criteria above? Thanks!!

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #28,523 of 48,579
So I have a dilemma, I was going to buy the X2 and Vmoda Boom Mic to hook up to my DS4 (PS4 Controller) because that is just all I can afford. Would I be better of buying these 2 rather then spending my money on the new Astro A50 2nd gen? Mad Lust said that the X2 would not get enough power from the DS4 controller so im at a stand still as I do not want to get it and then have to buy a dac/amp for the PS4. Just to make it clear I really dont care about surround sound in a headset, good stereo is the best option for me as I really cannot hear the directional cues. I heard the Astro A50 is a great headset for immersion and that is what im going for and the wireless would be great since I have a child.

Any direction would be nice, I would love to buy the X2 but if it is going to sound horrible out of the DS4 there is just no point.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #28,524 of 48,579
What do u use an amp with K612 pro when u play FPS.

I play counter-strike:global offensive(Classic competitive mode) on PC and Halo 3 (playlist is MLG, and will play H5) on XBOX.

I had Astro A40 systems 2011 edition but A40 headset was broken. So I bought AKG K612 pro and use with astro mixamp now.
But, this article, u say AKG K612 pro is a high-impedance headphone and requires more power than Astro mixamp's.
>I recommend a warmer sounding amp to better match the K612's neutrality and shave off the slight harshness up top.
But I have no knowledge about amplifier, please tell me about your amplifier.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #28,525 of 48,579
  What do u use an amp with K612 pro when u play FPS.

I play counter-strike:global offensive(Classic competitive mode) on PC and Halo 3 (playlist is MLG, and will play H5) on XBOX.

I had Astro A40 systems 2011 edition but A40 headset was broken. So I bought AKG K612 pro and use with astro mixamp now.
But, this article, u say AKG K612 pro is a high-impedance headphone and requires more power than Astro mixamp's.
>I recommend a warmer sounding amp to better match the K612's neutrality and shave off the slight harshness up top.
But I have no knowledge about amplifier, please tell me about your amplifier.

Just buy Schiit Magni. that's all You need

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #28,526 of 48,579
  So I have a dilemma, I was going to buy the X2 and Vmoda Boom Mic to hook up to my DS4 (PS4 Controller) because that is just all I can afford. Would I be better of buying these 2 rather then spending my money on the new Astro A50 2nd gen? Mad Lust said that the X2 would not get enough power from the DS4 controller so im at a stand still as I do not want to get it and then have to buy a dac/amp for the PS4. Just to make it clear I really dont care about surround sound in a headset, good stereo is the best option for me as I really cannot hear the directional cues. I heard the Astro A50 is a great headset for immersion and that is what im going for and the wireless would be great since I have a child.

Any direction would be nice, I would love to buy the X2 but if it is going to sound horrible out of the DS4 there is just no point.

Why not get a small portable amp like the Fiio E11 and see if that works for you?

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #28,527 of 48,579
Hey Guys,

I wanna buy a new pair of headphones for general purposes such as listening to music, watching movies and playing video games by my laptop(MSI GS60 ghost pro). I will usually use headphone at home but who knows, maybe I change my mind and want to use it outside as well. As a result I think a close back headphone would be better for me, however the sound quality and sound stage of open ones can't be ignored specially for games. Now, I'm completely confused with the market of different kinds of headphones with different quality and brands. I should mention that I'm looking for an over-ear headphone. Now, I would like to ask you do me a favor please and help me to choose a good pair of headphones. Your valuable advice will be appreciated.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #28,528 of 48,579
Hey Guys,

[COLOR=141823]         I wanna buy a new pair of headphones for general purpo[/COLOR]ses such as listening to music, watching movies and playing video games by my laptop(MSI GS60 ghost pro). I will usually use headphone at home but who knows, maybe I change my mind and want to use it outside as well. As a result I think a close back headphone would be better for me, however the sound quality and sound stage of open ones can't be ignored specially for games. Now, I'm completely confused with the market of different kinds of headphones with different quality and brands. I should mention that I'm looking for an over-ear headphone. Now, I would like to ask you do me a favor please and help me to choose a good pair of headphones. Your valuable advice will be appreciated.

Budget?

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #28,530 of 48,579
Sorry I can't go in depth as I am limited on my time to post.

I strongly suggest one of the SoundMAGIC closed headphones, HP150 or HP100, along with the Creative X7 since you are gaming on your laptop. The X7 will be useful to you for a good long while, as an all in one DAC/Amp/DSP, and you can always upgrade your headphones down the road. The X7 was just recently sold for $280 on Amazon, so keep an eye out for another sale price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back