Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #27,916 of 48,583

Except, receivers are notorious for adding huge amount of input lag and Yamaha was (and still is) some of the biggest culprits.

If you run your video to the TV directly and only run the audio to the AVR, you bypass that.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #27,917 of 48,583
  @FDDreamer, You're perfectly entitled to your opinion on Chinese vs Austrian AKG's.  However, I have a Chinese Q701 and I've never had any issues with it.  I haven't met anyone in the Q701 thread who believes there is any material difference between versions.  They've been proven to sound identical as well.  

What I'm trying to say is that there really isn't any logical grounds to worry about inferior quality when it comes to Chinese vs Austrian AKG's.  If it bothers you anyways, by all means, get something else.  But I wanted to make sure you're aware that there's not really any reason to worry about it.

I tend to agree, because the company AKG is going to place quality controls in place to ensure their standards are maintain no matter where the manufacture point is. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #27,918 of 48,583
Yeah, of the mindset that if I have zero gear, I'd go right for the X7 as that takes care of multiple things:

DAC

Amp

Virtual surround

Virtual surround PC device

That is how everyone should at least break the X7 as. If viewing it as just those things, its essentially like $400+ worth of those things if you were to buy single devices like a Modi, Magni, Mixamp, Xonar U3 or whatever Creative equivalent there was (for pc purposes). Of course, its quite a bit more than that, as it can also drive some passive speakers, but in terms of headphone specific duties, you have 4 devices worth of stuff in one package that happens to do it for both PC and external consoles.

The only reason I wouldn't get it myself is because I already have these things. If I somehow sold everything, then yes, I'd buy one myself. I kinda really like my mostly untethered freedom with the Mixamp 5.8 though, so it'd be hard for me to give it up again.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #27,919 of 48,583
Yeah, of the mindset that if I have zero gear, I'd go right for the X7 as that takesbcare of 3 things:

DAC

Amp

Virtual surround

That is how everyone should at least break the X7 as. Of course, its quite a bit more than that, as it can also drive some passive speakers, but in terms of headphone specific duties, you have 3 devices worth of stuff in one package that happens to do it for both PC and external consoles.

The only reason I wouldn't get it myself is because I already have these things. If I somehow sold everything, then yes, I'd buy one myself. I kinda really like my mostly untethered freedom with the Mixamp 5.8 though, so it'd be hard for me to give it up again.

Once the X7 comes down in price, I'm going to take the plunge on it. Just at $400 is a pretty good jumping off point to "see" if you like it. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #27,920 of 48,583
Yeah, of the mindset that if I have zero gear, I'd go right for the X7 as that takes care of multiple things:

DAC

Amp

Virtual surround

Virtual surround PC device

That is how everyone should at least break the X7 as. If viewing it as just those things, its essentially like $400+ worth of those things if you were to buy single devices like a Modi, Magni, Mixamp, Xonar U3 or whatever Creative equivalent there was (for pc purposes). Of course, its quite a bit more than that, as it can also drive some passive speakers, but in terms of headphone specific duties, you have 4 devices worth of stuff in one package that happens to do it for both PC and external consoles.

Well when you put it THAT way... now I am seriously considering getting the X7 since I have nothing of those things. I will need a pc solution or a ps4 solution. Since my ps4 will be with my tv and maybe other consoles in the future, maybe the x7 may not be a bad choice as a future investment anyway. Hmm... 

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #27,921 of 48,583
Thanks ever so much for all your help, guys.  It seems like I'm in a win-win situation really, and as such I'm going to wait on the sales to see if any of the short-listed headphones are reduced before pulling the trigger. 

I feel like the X2s might be the best one for me (in terms of a solution that completely nails my requirements) and if they were slightly cheaper would be a no-brainer.  However, right now I could buy a K612 for £130 less than an X2 which seems like an absolute steal.  I could use the difference, plus whatever I could get for selling my one-week-old Zx, and be probably halfway to buying an X7!

The HP200 looks great too.  I need to dig up some more reviews on it, but if it is reduced in the sales (to land somewhere between the K612 and the X2) it could be a serious contender.  Shame it's not on Mad Lust Envy's list as I'd love to read his impressions!

Finally, thank you for the tip re. Austria / China.  If the quality is there then I see no reason to be worried by where it is actually assembled!  I guess I'm getting old and cynical and couldn't help but apply the 'if it's too good to be true...' adage to the K612 when it costs so little!

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #27,922 of 48,583

Finally, thank you for the tip re. Austria / China.  If the quality is there then I see no reason to be worried by where it is actually assembled!  I guess I'm getting old and cynical and couldn't help but apply the 'if it's too good to be true...' adage to the K612 when it costs so little!

I had a Honda CBR600F4 motorcycle in 2002 that was the best 600 supersport you could buy.  It was winning every shootout in every magazine and was THE bike to get.  Not even ten years later, they were selling the EXACT same bike, but it was their "entry level" 600 sportbike.  The newer bikes got so much better that the older tech was that outclassed by comparison.  But that older bike didn't change.  Everything that made it so amazing in 2002 was still there.

That's how I think of the K612.  It's a entry-level version of the K7-- series that's really quite good on its own, and is only entry-level in direct comparison with its newer better brothers.

(Caveat:  I haven't heard the K612.  Take the comments above for what they're worth.)

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #27,923 of 48,583

I had a Honda CBR600F4 motorcycle in 2002 that was the best 600 supersport you could buy.  It was winning every shootout in every magazine and was THE bike to get.  Not even ten years later, they were selling the EXACT same bike, but it was their "entry level" 600 sportbike.  The newer bikes got so much better that the older tech was that outclassed by comparison.  But that older bike didn't change.  Everything that made it so amazing in 2002 was still there.

That's how I think of the K612.  It's a entry-level version of the K7-- series that's really quite good on its own, and is only entry-level in direct comparison with its newer better brothers.

(Caveat:  I haven't heard the K612.  Take the comments above for what they're worth.)

I like your analogy! 

As a complete newcomer to all this I am more than happy to look at an entry-level headphone.  In fact, from the reviews I've read it may be that I'd actually prefer the K612 to the K7 series due to the slightly warmer sound and fuller bass.  I've read the K612 can be a little picky as to the system that drives it, but I imagine the Sound Blaster Zx would be fine with it?  I've also been digging around for any known issues with the K612 (specifically the cable as it's not removeable) but have turned up virtually nothing which is really encouraging!

Problems on the X2 also seem few and far between, although I did notice that their sound can deteriorate when using a high output impedence amp.  Not sure if that would apply to me or not, but they would be driven by the SB Zx.  Crikey there's so much to learn.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #27,924 of 48,583

I like your analogy! 

As a complete newcomer to all this I am more than happy to look at an entry-level headphone.  In fact, from the reviews I've read it may be that I'd actually prefer the K612 to the K7 series due to the slightly warmer sound and fuller bass.  I've read the K612 can be a little picky as to the system that drives it, but I imagine the Sound Blaster Zx would be fine with it?  I've also been digging around for any known issues with the K612 (specifically the cable as it's not removeable) but have turned up virtually nothing which is really encouraging!

Problems on the X2 also seem few and far between, although I did notice that their sound can deteriorate when using a high output impedence amp.  Not sure if that would apply to me or not, but they would be driven by the SB Zx.  Crikey there's so much to learn.

IMO, don't worry about impedance matching.  You most likely won't be able to hear the difference until you train your ears a bit more.  Even then, it will be hard to pick out unless you're A/B'ing them back to back.  I mean, obviously don't run the 32 ohm X2 out of a Bottlehead Crack that's specifically designed for high-impedance headphones, but if you're just running it from a normal amp/soundcard you'll be fine.

The K612 should sound just fine out of the Z/Zx.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #27,925 of 48,583
My K7XX has finally arrived. Man, I almost forgot how wonderful the K7** series sounds. I am reminded at how the latter models do pretty much everything very well, similar to the X2, but... better!

If one were to choose between the X2 and K7XX/K702 AE/K712 for an all-rounder, the AKGs win... hands down.

The recent Massdrop sale on the K7XX has to be the steal of the year, imho.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #27,926 of 48,583
I have the Mixamp 2013 and the 7.1 Tritton decoders....I also have both XB1 and PS4 consoles.

which decoder should I use with which console ? I mean If you were me, which console would you use with which decoder ?

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #27,928 of 48,583
Any idea on what a comparison for gaming would look like between the K712 and 7XX? That's a big price difference, don't want to spend extra for almost the same product. Reviews are confusing, since they tend to not focus on the gaming side at all.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #27,929 of 48,583
  Any idea on what a comparison for gaming would look like between the K712 and 7XX? That's a big price difference, don't want to spend extra for almost the same product. Reviews are confusing, since they tend to not focus on the gaming side at all.

If you're getting them for gaming only get the cheaper one. Simple as that.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #27,930 of 48,583
I mean, I still have the K712 (loaned to Mad for his review) and a K612, and I used to have a Q701 at the same time as the others, and a LOT of what is great about the high-end AKG's translates to the K612. Consider they all have great soundstage width and depth, "awake" mids and treble, separation, detail, control, self-adjusting headband, true circumaural comfort. Add to that base a little air, soundstage width, and imaging that will occasionally trick you into believing it's real, interchangeable cables, and you've got the Q701 (and FWIR newer K702's), basically the ideal pairing to virtual surround. Take the base and add a little more bass, interchangeable cables, flat headband, orange, little bit more treble control and overall control/separation (less width than Q) and you have the K712. Lastly, the K612 is the base AKG character + little more bass and subbass extension, flat headband, maybe you need 10% higher volume but you also get what feels like 10% more dampening, a little less "light" on the treble or "sparkle." I love them all. You lose a few "pro" features on the K612 but it's an amazing value, and if the choice is between a K612 with a good amp or an X1 or X2 without an amp, I'd pick a K612 with amp for my money, easily. All three AKG's are GREAT values when you compare to other brands, the sound of another brand may suit one' preference more but the AKG's are undeniably competent. I happen to find them really fun!

"No bass" is literally never true unless you're talking about a Tweeter. Most of the bass range is already responding above neutral in all these headphones, but it still won't be enough for some users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back