Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #27,946 of 48,583
The Control unit plugs into that. Ive watched youtube videos of people unboxing and setting it up.

http://youtu.be/lh8HgPpOnbg

Just wanted to see if anyone else tried it.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #27,947 of 48,583
I mean, I still have the K712 (loaned to Mad for his review) and a K612, and I used to have a Q701 at the same time as the others, and a LOT of what is great about the high-end AKG's translates to the K612. Consider they all have great soundstage width and depth, "awake" mids and treble, separation, detail, control, self-adjusting headband, true circumaural comfort. Add to that base a little air, soundstage width, and imaging that will occasionally trick you into believing it's real, interchangeable cables, and you've got the Q701 (and FWIR newer K702's), basically the ideal pairing to virtual surround. Take the base and add a little more bass, interchangeable cables, flat headband, orange, little bit more treble control and overall control/separation (less width than Q) and you have the K712. Lastly, the K612 is the base AKG character + little more bass and subbass extension, flat headband, maybe you need 10% higher volume but you also get what feels like 10% more dampening, a little less "light" on the treble or "sparkle." I love them all. You lose a few "pro" features on the K612 but it's an amazing value, and if the choice is between a K612 with a good amp or an X1 or X2 without an amp, I'd pick a K612 with amp for my money, easily. All three AKG's are GREAT values when you compare to other brands, the sound of another brand may suit one' preference more but the AKG's are undeniably competent. I happen to find them really fun!

"No bass" is literally never true unless you're talking about a Tweeter. Most of the bass range is already responding above neutral in all these headphones, but it still won't be enough for some users.

Thanks for the breakdown - it was really interesting reading.  From your description it seems the K712 would probably be the most pleasing to me, but it's currently ~£290.  That puts it at £60 more than an X2, and very nearly triple the price of the K612!  I actually like the idea of a little more bass, plus the headband seems more forgiving too.  I'd be running it via the SB Z, so I guess the volume would be fine.  Can I ask what dampening relates to?  Sorry, not something I've come across yet!

Tweeters, and the AD700...
tongue.gif

Still very much in love with the x2. Just a wonderfully neutral headphone with some grunt in the bass that still keeps it neutrally toned. Think, better balanced DT880. Yeah.

So i don't agree with the Annie/7XX doing EVERYTHING better, as the AKGs have a warmer tilt to them, with that upper mid peak that a lot of people don't particularly care for. It will still put off some people. I don't see the X2 putting off anyone, unless they just don't want a neutrally toned headphone.

Keep in mind, I still think the AKGs are overall a better headphone in terms of technicalities. However, just as some people prefer the 612 over the 70X and 712, the X2 can be favorable over those AKgs for some people. Me, it's neck to neck on preference. I love both the Annie and X2. Would be hard to pick out a clear winner. I'd probably edge it out to the Annie due to my preference of intimacy/warmth, where the X2 is decidedly more neutral, and not as warm. Not warm, not bright, neutral. Even more neutral sounding than the 612 despite the better sense of bass (which I didn't think was possible, as the 612 has very balanced bass). The upper mid bump on the AKGs is just always a factor here.

We live in an amazing age of headphones, with so many fantastic options for your money. To say that two very new headphones already have my top recommendations says a lot. The X2 and 7XX (aka Annie part deux) are two headphones that I can't see many people being upset about unless you have a clear preference for something flavored a bit differently.

Of course, I have to address the price/availability. For $200, the tides are heavily swayed towards the 7XX over the X2, which is $100 more, and at the most, on a comparable level in most regards, and at a disadvantage in any other. So you're getting at LEAST a comparable if not superior headphone with the 7XX over the X2. That being said, the 7XX is going to be severely limited for now, and the alternative is the Annie/712s which are both at least as expensive as the X2, if not more so. Also, the X2 is undoubtedly going to be discounted quite a bit next year, as Philips headphones always do, further putting the X2 in the 7XX price range, making the choice between them hard again if you find both appealing like I do.

The main benefits once you put them on the same level, is that the X2 is quite a bit easier to drive, as well as having instant V-moda boompro compatibility (which were my main reasons why I didn't hold out for the 7XX).

One final thing to say: I feel the X2 is definitely superior to the 612 overall. Both are neutral headphones, while the 612 has some things about it's sound that will put off some people, it being considerably harder to power, losing comfort points, and lack of Boompro compatibilty. though of course, price is a factor, and the 612 is nearly half the price, so if price is a factor... 612 clearly wins.

So my personal opinion on tier list between these headphones, price be damned:

1. Annie = 7XX
2. K712 = X2 (just very, very slightly behind the #1 spot)
3. 612 = X1 = MA900

I'm really interested in the upper-mid peak you mentioned, and I've heard it referred to on a number of threads.  If I was to put some music on and play with the equaliser bundled with the Sound Blaster Control Centre, could I replicate this peak by moving particular sliders?

Finally, can I put you on the spot and ask where the Q701 / K702 would figure in your list above?  And maybe the DT990 Premium?  They are all roughly the same price here, which puts them squarely between the K612 (which is around £60-£80 cheaper) and the X2 (which is £60-£80 more expensive).  I've written off the others as the K712 is another £60 more than the X2, and the Annie is about the same increase again.

Roll on the sales, and merry Christmas to everyone!

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #27,949 of 48,583
Is Surround at 69% still the best universally agreed as the best option for the SBX? Testing the X7 atm so just asking :)

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #27,950 of 48,583
How much better is the Q701 compared to the Sennheiser G4me One? Ive heard great things about the Q701 but if it isnt that much better I dont really want to change because of the easy Volume control and built in mic on the G4me One. Has anyone used both the Q701 and G4me One or even the PC360 as its almost the same?

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #27,951 of 48,583
How much better is the Q701 compared to the Sennheiser G4me One? Ive heard great things about the Q701 but if it isnt that much better I dont really want to change because of the easy Volume control and built in mic on the G4me One. Has anyone used both the Q701 and G4me One or even the PC360 as its almost the same?

I'd say your best bet is to read the reviews for both on the first page of this thread.

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #27,952 of 48,583
Is Surround at 69% still the best universally agreed as the best option for the SBX? Testing the X7 atm so just asking
smily_headphones1.gif

I think based on Chicolom's video, we decided that 66% made it easier to tell wehre sounds were coming from for sound whoring.  100% made it less analytical like that but more immersive along the lines of DH.  You can search Youtube for Chicolom and the video will come up...

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #27,953 of 48,583
Is Surround at 69% still the best universally agreed as the best option for the SBX? Testing the X7 atm so just asking :)

Oh it's entirely personal. Some people swear by 67% and won't go a percent higher because of the perceived difference. I saw one guy who games at 33%, and another who likes a little surround to his music. Personally, I just played around with it on the Recon3D while I had a movie playing in the background, I liked rear imaging best at 100%, and now with the X7 I first used it at the default 67% for a few days before playing with the mobile app and setting it for 88% these days.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #27,954 of 48,583
Oh it's entirely personal. Some people swear by 67% and won't go a percent higher because of the perceived difference. I saw one guy who games at 33%, and another who likes a little surround to his music. Personally, I just played around with it on the Recon3D while I had a movie playing in the background, I liked rear imaging best at 100%, and now with the X7 I first used it at the default 67% for a few days before playing with the mobile app and setting it for 88% these days.

I am experimenting myself. I find the 100% setting to sound weird and distant though. 60 - 70% seems much more natural and realistic. Basically [as been said] lower values tend to sound more natural, while something near a 100 just sounds very processed to me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll experiment further 
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #27,955 of 48,583
I like 100% due to it making rear audio cues quite a bit easier to discern. 100% still doesn't sound as 'processed' as Dolby Headphone, which I'm used to, so it doesn't bother me in the least.

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #27,956 of 48,583
Hey guys which one you guys think it's best for positioning audio like pinpoiting footstep positions etc the AKG 612 PRO or AKG 7xx or neither?

Also I will be using whichever one I buy with the MixAmp should I get an amp to power them?

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #27,957 of 48,583
  Hey guys which one you guys think it's best for positioning audio like pinpoiting footstep positions etc the AKG 612 PRO or AKG 7xx or neither?

Also I will be using whichever one I buy with the MixAmp should I get an amp to power them?

Go for whichever one You can afford. Try without an amp first if it doesn't suit You or isn't loud enough buy an amp.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #27,960 of 48,583
  Does anyone know how the Sennheiser G4ME One compares to the PC360?  I would guess they are very similar in performance (is that correct?).  Is there a difference in build quality?  Comfort?

They would pretty much be the same, sound wise. Comfort should be the same as well and build quality the same but just different color White with red ring or black with red ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back