Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 6, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #22,681 of 48,566
Why both ?
I guess X1 is for music right ?

So I decided to stay with my aurvana live! because there seems to be a huge jump in prices after this headphone, if I want something better. I don't really care much for dolby headphone. Maybe only in a couple of games but its optional. I want to ask, if I should bother with getting anything other than my xonar dg ? some dac or other sound card? Maybe external ? Or am I good set in stone with xonar dg? (I could use voume wheel on some external device. Right now I am just controlling volume with control wheel on my g11 keybosard). So I want volume wheel control and just something on my desk so I could easily switch headphones.

That way or another, I was at media markt yesterday and besides testing some normal headphones(god those prices...) I did had a chance to see/try some gaming headsets/headphones. My general impression was always that gaming headsets are more feature rich at better prices than normal headphones. Most sport memory foam, are comfortable etc... with exceptions. There was Creative Evo set and besides being kinda expensive compared to everything else there, it looked very nice! Great build quality, nice cushions, killer looks, detachable usb and jack. built in microphone. Sadly I did not had a chance to use it. I had Creative mkII and Tactic 360 sigma(still have it and using it's amp with my aurvana live! on 360) before and creative must be my fav hedaphone brand. I always liked their warm signature but some creative sets lack detail, have poor build quality or have bad wiring/cable. That Sound Blaster Evo seems to try to improve on everything. There also was siberia v2 set but packgaged with strakingly low price. skullcandy crusher was there too. Comofrtable good cushions but rather poor seal I think.

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #22,683 of 48,566
Lance,
Rarely do we see requests for "what IS the holy grail?" combined with a large budget. Kinda cool! Issue is... games don't usually have super-high quality sound files (very good but not HD Audio, the XB1 files CAN be better cuz BluRay has more space but that's no guarantee they WILL be better). So that kinda puts a limit on the max possibilities; you can still do well, but it kinda lends itself towards euphoric musical experience at the high end rather than ultra-resolving (relatively speaking, at a $1k + budget you will still have great resolution).

With that in mind, you could either blow your entire budget on the very very expensive Smith Realizer or the Beyer Headzone (which may be overkill for the source material), but I'd say play to the strengths and typical objectives of gaming. I suggest finding one of the older receivers (AVRs) by Marantz that have Dolby Headphone. Probably the best practical amp/DAC combo to use. That pretty much covers everything but headphone, you MAY be able to find a used deal on a Sennheiser HD800 for it's amazing clarity and depth of soundstage, buuuuuut again in respect to musicality and a headphone that just sweeps you off your feet and makes you ENJOY rather than analyze, I'd say the choice match would be either a Fostex TH900 or a HiFiman HE560. Superb, immersive choices.

So those are Holy Grail options, but I think it's best to figure out which direction you want to go before dumping a large sum into a headphone. Closed, open, extra bass, neutral, particular brand, fit and comfort, all these things are individual taste, BUT I hope I gave you a starting point and something to chew on
smily_headphones1.gif

Someone in this thread bought the TH-600 + Mixamp (+some portable amp) and was hugely amazed by it. I can only speak for the TH-900 and it's still my favorite can. Relatively easy to drive, great, cohorent soundstage, very very deep hard hittingbass with low decay, very low distortion so despite its pronounced bass not fatigueing at all (like X1 or Signature DJ from my own experience) and very detailed. 

So if the TH-600 is even half as good it would be a very good recommendation. Plus he'd save quite some money. 
Maybe that guy can chime in and give his further impressions. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #22,684 of 48,566
thank you all for your experiences and knowledge.

Gaming on the Xbox is about clarity for First Person Shooter Games....top of the list as follows for importance;

1. Precision listening to my surroundings to hear people around corners or sneaking up behind me...to understand the foot steps are above me or below me...direction of enemy fire...this is crucial.

2. Environment - The enjoyment of hearing grenades, explosions, rockets, choppers etc without it becoming distorted or so overpowering that everything else gets lost as you lose "precision" and voice clarity of team mates.

3. Voice clarity

This sums up how I want gaming headsets to function...I am not seeking anything that upgrades my music collection...I want to find 100% domination in every aspect as a gamer.

Hope this helps Mad Lust...If you have a NUMBER 1 suggestions on what headphone, Decoder/Amp/Mic you would put together that would rule over all else using my specifications please provide & I shall buy.

Lance. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #22,685 of 48,566
Hello Mad Lust Envy (and the rest of Head-Fi)! 

I had recently bought the Astro A40 2013 Mixamp and Headset bundle. This was my first serious gaming headset (the one prior to them was a pair of cheap Turtle Beaches). I have noticed that the bass in this headset is a little too prominent when I am trying to listen for footsteps in Call of Duty and other competitive shooters. I definitely think these are great all around for gaming and other media alike, however, after stumbling upon this thread, I have begun to wonder how much better the positional audio can actually be. 

So, here's my dilemma: I am unsure as to whether to get the ATH-AD700Xs or the Q 701s. My even bigger issue is my budget. I only have enough spending money to either go with the AD700Xs for competitive AND keep my A40s for a slightly more fun headset or I can go with JUST the Q701s as well as a mic (possibly the modmic) and end up selling my A40s. In the latter option, I will have the Q701s as my main headphones for all around use. 

I will for sure be keeping the Astro Mixamp as I am a console gamer as well as a PC gamer. I'm absolutely unsure which headphones to purchase. Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Oh, and also, if there are any other headphones that anyone thinks I should consider, please mention them so I can take a look at them. The Q 701s are around $250 so that would be more or less my budget. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #22,686 of 48,566
Hi Gents,

After playing around with the adapter design, I've come around to the final design. The entire body of the adapter will be made of metal with glue shrink holding it together. I've wired all the internal with solid core copper. This also insures the highest quality signal will be sent, though I have considered wiring the internals with solid core Silver. The new design is more snug with the AKG as well. The 1/8" jack I used has a smaller entry, so the Boom Pro wont turn nearly as much as the prototype I made.

I'm opening up a testing program for these very shortly. Participants will be put on a list and there will be one unit passed around among the members. Final details will be disclosed later. 

Stillhart, I have your adapter in hand, let me know when you want it. Same goes for you MLE.

On the left is the prototype, on the right is the final design.

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #22,687 of 48,566
  Hello Mad Lust Envy (and the rest of Head-Fi)! 

I had recently bought the Astro A40 2013 Mixamp and Headset bundle. This was my first serious gaming headset (the one prior to them was a pair of cheap Turtle Beaches). I have noticed that the bass in this headset is a little too prominent when I am trying to listen for footsteps in Call of Duty and other competitive shooters. I definitely think these are great all around for gaming and other media alike, however, after stumbling upon this thread, I have begun to wonder how much better the positional audio can actually be. 

So, here's my dilemma: I am unsure as to whether to get the ATH-AD700Xs or the Q 701s. My even bigger issue is my budget. I only have enough spending money to either go with the AD700Xs for competitive AND keep my A40s for a slightly more fun headset or I can go with JUST the Q701s as well as a mic (possibly the modmic) and end up selling my A40s. In the latter option, I will have the Q701s as my main headphones for all around use. 

I will for sure be keeping the Astro Mixamp as I am a console gamer as well as a PC gamer. I'm absolutely unsure which headphones to purchase. Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Oh, and also, if there are any other headphones that anyone thinks I should consider, please mention them so I can take a look at them. The Q 701s are around $250 so that would be more or less my budget. 

I'm not sure where you live but there is almost always a pair of Q701 on the classified here for less than $200 (the price for a new one in the US).  I love my Q701 and I think, with the super easy and reversible bass mod, it can easily a great headphone for everything.  While I haven't heard the AD700, I've read that they're great for competitive gaming but that's it.  The Q doesn't have that problem once you mod it (takes ~5 minutes).

The Fidelio X1 is also a great all-arounder.  It's more bass-heavy so you lose a bit for competitive gaming (vs the Q701 or the AD700) but it should still be a step up from the A40's. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #22,688 of 48,566
  Hi Gents,

After playing around with the adapter design, I've come around to the final design. The entire body of the adapter will be made of metal with glue shrink holding it together. I've wired all the internal with solid core copper. This also insures the highest quality signal will be sent, though I have considered wiring the internals with solid core Silver. The new design is more snug with the AKG as well. The 1/8" jack I used has a smaller entry, so the Boom Pro wont turn nearly as much as the prototype I made.

I'm opening up a testing program for these very shortly. Participants will be put on a list and there will be one unit passed around among the members. Final details will be disclosed later. 

Stillhart, I have your adapter in hand, let me know when you want it. Same goes for you MLE.

Yessss!  Thanks, man.  I'll PM you my info.  Between this and the M-stage, I've got a fun week for headphones coming up!

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #22,689 of 48,566
Tsunami, footsteps above or below, not happening. Games today only have horizontal positional cues, not vertical. The things you ask for are basically you asking for everything. The only way to have everything is to go for a neutral headphone, and you're still gonna trade off a little immersion (unless you get something like the Alpha Dogs which are neutral but still fun). Planarmagnetics have the advantage of being linear without trading off fullness. The Alpha Dog is $600 and you're definitely gonna want to amp them.

Grumpy, Considering the K70x is about $90 more than the AD700x, I'd get it instead. Later on down the line, you can buy some K712 pads for it, and you'll have both an amazinbg competetive friendly headphone, and with the K712 pads, you'll gain warmth and more fun. You could also look into the K612, but I haven't heard them yet (I will be very, very soon). They are like $150, and apparently do everything well.

Zombie, that is an awesome looking adapter. Thanks for your hard work and dedication. :)

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #22,690 of 48,566

I'm not sure where you live but there is almost always a pair of Q701 on the classified here for less than $200 (the price for a new one in the US).  I love my Q701 and I think, with the super easy and reversible bass mod, it can easily a great headphone for everything.  While I haven't heard the AD700, I've read that they're great for competitive gaming but that's it.  The Q doesn't have that problem once you mod it (takes ~5 minutes).

The Fidelio X1 is also a great all-arounder.  It's more bass-heavy so you lose a bit for competitive gaming (vs the Q701 or the AD700) but it should still be a step up from the A40's. 

Thanks for replying! Leaning towards the Q701 now! I happen to be in Canada (believe me, I know this sucks when it comes to purchasing headphones and electronics) so the cheapest Q701 that I can find is $250.  Is the bass mod the one where you remove the foam on the inside of the grilles or this one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/607019/akg-q701-simple-mod-increase-bass-and-decrease-soundstage-a-little

Grumpy, Considering the K70x is about $90 more than the AD700x, I'd get it instead. Later on down the line, you can buy some K712 pads for it, and you'll have both an amazinbg competetive friendly headphone, and with the K712 pads, you'll gain warmth and more fun. You could also look into the K612, but I haven't heard them yet (I will be very, very soon). They are like $150, and apparently do everything well.

The Q701s are on sale where I'm looking to buy from so would those be just as good as the K70x? I am aware that the two are around the same so sorry for asking. 

Hi Gents,

I would definitely want one of these if I end up getting the Q701! Would definitely be better using the Boom Pro instead of a separate mic! Sadly, I'm in Canada so I'm not sure how I'd get my hands on one... 

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #22,691 of 48,566
Quote:
You could also look into the K612, but I haven't heard them yet (I will be very, very soon). They are like $150, and apparently do everything well.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #22,692 of 48,566
  Thanks for replying! Leaning towards the Q701 now! I happen to be in Canada (believe me, I know this sucks when it comes to purchasing headphones and electronics) so the cheapest Q701 that I can find is $250.  Is the bass mod the one where you remove the foam on the inside of the grilles or this one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/607019/akg-q701-simple-mod-increase-bass-and-decrease-soundstage-a-little

This is the mod:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/5850  You're basically just pulling a small sticker off the back of each driver.

Even if you're in Canada, I assume you can find a used pair for $165-185 and then ship for $40-50 and still come out ahead.  Food for thought.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #22,693 of 48,566
Yo,

I'll order more mini XLR's this week for everyone. I'll get on making more. Right now I have a few mini XLR's on hand, and about 10 of the 1/8" jacks. I may upgrade to the nice Rean mini XLR's as they give me more to work with than generic Switchcraft clones.

EDIT:
Getting on the PS4 now, who wants to play with me or watch me stream?

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #22,695 of 48,566
  Hi Gents,

Would definitely be interested in purchasing an adapter after testing is done. (assuming it works fine)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back