Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 7, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #22,711 of 48,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1471 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alrighty. So after looking on Amazon (.com) at the Fidelio X1, I saw that I can get them for right around $275 after shipping and customs to Canada. I definitely would prefer these in terms of convenience as I wouldn't have to get a mic like the modmic or a clip on mic and instead I can just order up the Boom Pro for another $30. I'm just not so sure about how much of a competitive edge I will get over the Astros and how much worse these are than the Q701 for competitive use. Can anyone tell me if the Pro setting on the Astro Mixamp will make the X1 a lot more like the Q701? Should I go with the Q701 with the modmic (or even one of Zombie_X's adapters and the Boom Pro) or should I go with the Fidelio X1 as a more all around music/gaming/movie headphone along with the Boom Pro?

Also, do the V-moda cables that come with the M-80s (the standard audio cables) work well with the X1?

Antlion's shipping on the ModMic 3.0 is delayed 2 1/2 weeks. They emailed me today informing me of that. Bummer. You can order the ModMic 2.0 now and it will ship immediately. 

The cable that comes with the M80 will work just as well as any other mini-mini cable. I only recommend people get the V-Moda cables to use with other branded headphones because of their awesome durability, and they don't tangle up too bad.

As for your dilemma between getting the Q701 and the X1, I would say just get whatever sounds like what you prefer in a signature, or what price is more appealing to you. It seems like they're both really good headphones for gaming. Both are going to sound better than the A40's anyway. I used a pair of DT990's the other day with my MixAmp and they sounded SO MUCH BETTER than my A40's, and the DT990 don't even rank as high as the Q701 or X1 on the chart. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #22,712 of 48,562
Alrighty. So after looking on Amazon (.com) at the Fidelio X1, I saw that I can get them for right around $275 after shipping and customs to Canada. I definitely would prefer these in terms of convenience as I wouldn't have to get a mic like the modmic or a clip on mic and instead I can just order up the Boom Pro for another $30. I'm just not so sure about how much of a competitive edge I will get over the Astros and how much worse these are than the Q701 for competitive use. Can anyone tell me if the Pro setting on the Astro Mixamp will make the X1 a lot more like the Q701? Should I go with the Q701 with the modmic (or even one of Zombie_X's adapters and the Boom Pro) or should I go with the Fidelio X1 as a more all around music/gaming/movie headphone along with the Boom Pro?

Also, do the V-moda cables that come with the M-80s (the standard audio cables) work well with the X1?

If you're coming from the Astros... you'll be in heaven with the X1 and BoomPro. You may save some money, also, by looking for an X1 in the classifieds, here.

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #22,714 of 48,562

I had the same dilemma, so I bought both the Q701 and the X1.  If I could have kept both, I would have.  The Q701 is better for pure competitive gaming (soundstage, and crisp clear highs/mids) and the X1 is better for pure fun and convenience (removable cable, BASS!).  That doesn't mean that the Q701 can't be fun or that the X1 isn't great for competitive gaming; I'm just talking about the small percentages that separate the two.  As Change said, compared to the A40, you're getting a big step up either way.

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #22,715 of 48,562
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! I've had numerous IEMs that sound better than some full sized headphones!

All I can say is just stay away from IEMs. Save your wallet, and stay away...

You would really be surprised. When I had my Westone 4r, the separation is so good because there are different drivers for different parts of the spectrum, and because of that everything can be so much more precise. I only don't have IEMs because I'd rather have headphones on my head and get the proper sound immediately rather than finding the seal before I listen. That annoys me.

I don't know man, I can get an HE-400 (B-stock from Razordog) for $245 or a Mad Dog for $300.  Is an IEM going to compare to a planar magnetic in the same price range?  I guess the advantage is portability and less power to drive?

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #22,716 of 48,562
I don't know man, I can get an HE-400 (B-stock from Razordog) for $245 or a Mad Dog for $300.  Is an IEM going to compare to a planar magnetic in the same price range?  I guess the advantage is portability and less power to drive?

So much for thinning the herd :p

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #22,717 of 48,562
So much for thinning the herd
tongue.gif

I'm not saying I *WILL*, just that I *CAN*.  
tongue.gif
   I'm genuinely curious how a $250 IEM would sound compared to a Q701 or an HE-400.

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #22,718 of 48,562
As with any other headphone, only your ears can make the best judgement.

BTW, it's a $350 hybrid IEM... that's on sale for the first time EVER at this low of a price. That's the reason I posted it... because there are some people here that use IEMs.

And, usually, CAN means WILL in these ballparks :p

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #22,720 of 48,562
Quick question...

I think I've decided on the X1's.  Now, in order to complete this setup on the PS4, I'd need to add either the Astro Mixamp, the Turtlebeach DSS2 or the Soundblaster Recon 3D.  Do all three of those devices basically perform the same function?  I'd be able to attach a mic and that would also give me the surround functionality, correct?  I've spend hours reading up on all this and am sloooowwly starting to get it... I think.

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #22,721 of 48,562
  Quick question...

I think I've decided on the X1's.  Now, in order to complete this setup on the PS4, I'd need to add either the Astro Mixamp, the Turtlebeach DSS2 or the Soundblaster Recon 3D.  Do all three of those devices basically perform the same function?  I'd be able to attach a mic and that would also give me the surround functionality, correct?  I've spend hours reading up on all this and am sloooowwly starting to get it... I think.

I'm not sure about the DSS2 but the Recon and Mixamp basically do the same thing.  The main differences are that the Mixamp gives you separate game/chat balance (BIG ADVANTAGE!) and Mixamp uses Dolby Headphone vs THX on the Recon.  The different surround processing is a YMMV thing; I prefer the THX, others prefer DH.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #22,722 of 48,562
  Quick question...

I have the Astro Mixamp and can definitely recommend it for the PS4 as well as other consoles and occasionally PC. The different EQ settings definitely help depending on the way I'm using them. The chat and game audio dial is quite useful. There's noticeable hiss at volumes above 50%, however, once game audio is playing, you won't even know it's there. The surround sound functionality would work regardless of whether you are using a separate mic along with the X1 or if you are using the Boom Pro (the Boom Pro would be a TON more convenient though). The mixamp includes a short splitter cable in case you happen to have separate mic and audio jacks. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #22,723 of 48,562
Quote:
  Quick question...

I like my Astro MixAmp. I have a 4 month old baby and use a video baby monitor app on my MacBook Pro, while I'm playing xbox with my headset on I have the "MP3" input on the back of the MixAmp connected to the MacBook so I can hear the baby if she cries while I'm playing. The MixAmp's USB power is plugged into my PC so I can set my Default Speakers to the MixAmp in the sound settings and play music from my PC to my headset. It can mix up to 3 inputs (optical, MP3, and USB) into your one headset. This probably isn't necessary for most people, but it is nice if you ever need to do something like that.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #22,724 of 48,562
  Quick question...

If you were to get the DSS2 you'd need a USB to 3.5mm chat adapter. I own a DSS2 but have yet to do a head to head on the same game with my SB Omni (which uses the same technology as the Recon 3D). If it is useful, I could do a head to head and give you my impressions.

Edit: Have you tried the video (there are others on Youtube too) comparing the surround technologies? Give that a try to get an impression of Dolby Headphone (Mixamp uses this) and SBX Pro Studio surround (Recon 3D). I can then try and fill in the DSS2 by describing how I feel it compares to them.

However watching someone else playing with it and playing with it yourself (that sounds filthy!) feel quite different. When watching a video, you are not able to track the sound cues as you would when you are in control and genuinely reacting to what you hear.

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #22,725 of 48,562
  If you were to get the DSS2 you'd need a USB to 3.5mm chat adapter. I own a DSS2 but have yet to do a head to head on the same game with my SB Omni (which uses the same technology as the Recon 3D). If it is useful, I could do a head to head and give you my impressions.

Edit: Have you tried the video (there are others on Youtube too) comparing the surround technologies? Give that a try to get an impression of Dolby Headphone (Mixamp uses this) and SBX Pro Studio surround (Recon 3D). I can then try and fill in the DSS2 by describing how I feel it compares to them.

However watching someone else playing with it and playing with it yourself (that sounds filthy!) feel quite different. When watching a video, you are not able to track the sound cues as you would when you are in control and genuinely reacting to what you hear.

Eh?

Recon3D uses THX Surround, Omni uses SBX Surround.
SBX and THX sounds different, even though SBX is pretty much a more refined version of THX — but they are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back