Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #22,651 of 48,562

I can always edit... 
ph34r.gif

Did I say hate?  I meant love!  I love the smell of Elerberries and it's a little known fact that hamsters are the most dedicated and admirable parents in the rodent world!

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #22,652 of 48,562
Quick comparisons between the K612 w/702 pads and the K712...
  1. K612 extends further down low with more presence
  2. Soundstage difference is hard to really get a grasp on, but it seems the K612 is slighly wider
  3. K712 has a slightly larger mid bass hump
  4. K712 mids are slightly more forward
  5. K712 bass is slightly more refined. Well, the whole spectrum is slightly more refined, actually...
  6. K712 highs are slightly brighter
  7. K712 has better instrument separation

I'll leave it to MLE to compare the the K712 to the stock K612. For me, I was more interested in how my K612 w/702 pads compared to the K712, side by side. Thanks Ev!

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #22,655 of 48,562
  I'm thinking of getting one, or perhaps a SR850.
Questions: 1. what exactly do you mean by bright? Do you just mean weighted towards treble, or do you mean it makes violins sound like screeching cats?
2. these headphones are only 56 ohm, can a console drive these or will I need an amp?

Evshrug gave his very detailed explanation on your questions, check it out.

I'll just weigh in on the SR850 part. Technically, both the 668b and SR850 are the same headphones with different colors. They even cost, the same (well more or less).
I don't like the 668b due to its brightness and I feel that the similarly priced 681 Evo is a more balanced headphone. That said, it can still be a little too sparkly but definitely not fatiguing. It's also a little bit warmer than the 668b.

So yeah, depends on you. If you're one who likes bright, detailed headphones, the 668b is a good place to start.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #22,656 of 48,562
  Quick comparisons between the K612 w/702 pads and the K712...
  1. K612 extends further down low with more presence
  2. Soundstage difference is hard to really get a grasp on, but it seems the K612 is slighly wider
  3. K712 has a slightly larger mid bass hump
  4. K712 mids are slightly more forward
  5. K712 bass is slightly more refined. Well, the whole spectrum is slightly more refined, actually...
  6. K712 highs are slightly brighter
  7. K712 has better instrument separation

I'll leave it to MLE to compare the the K712 to the stock K612. For me, I was more interested in how my K612 w/702 pads compared to the K712, side by side. Thanks Ev!

I'm kinda jealous, but at the same time, I'm really happy with my Q's right now and don't need to be tempted by the Annies...

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #22,657 of 48,562

I'm kinda jealous, but at the same time, I'm really happy with my Q's right now and don't need to be tempted by the Annies...

You won't need to... all you need is the pads for the Qs to sound like the Annies/K712...

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #22,658 of 48,562
Hi folks, I got my hands on Audio Technica's ATH-ADG1 and I'm thoroughly impressed with both its comfort and audio. 
I'm a UK PS4 gamer and pretty much play COD exclusively. At present, I'm using Turtle Beach's ACU but having previously used an older version of Astro's mix amp on PS3, I have a 2013 mix amp on order for comparison. 
I've read on page one about external amps and wondering if any kind soul could give me a recommenddation for this set up. 

I just noticed a few days ago that the TB ACU is finally being sold separately, how do you like it? Can you independently control/balance chat and game volume?

The AD700/ADG1 is tricky to amp, cuz you don't need gain/volume, but more current can liven things up and make it less harsh. I only ever used it with a few amps tho... I suggest asking IEM users cuz they have similar needs, and looking for ClieOS' portable headphone amp thread. I always wanted a FiiO E11 for my AD700.

First off congratulations!!!!
Do you live in the US? You could just buy the A50 and Steelseries H (don't believe anyone owns this headset yet.) off of amazon for the free shipping and decide which one you don't like. Just a thought. I personally wouldn't buy the Astro's after my recent visit to their forums where they basically told a group of us 2011 amp owners to either upgrade or just deal with it when our chat didn't work with the PS4, thank god Turtle Beach had the same issue and stepped up.

Again good luck man on your second child and enjoy your stay around here. 

Creative says their Recon3D USB is compatible with PS4 chat too, so... That doesn't give me much hope from Astro :frowning2:

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #22,659 of 48,562
I forgot to mention that the K712 is slightly more comfortable due to the memory foam pads and softer leather headband.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #22,660 of 48,562

You won't need to... all you need is the pads for the Qs to sound like the Annies/K712...

Oh right, I totally forgot about that!  Well, $60 is still a bit much right now... I'd rather put that money towards a DAC.  But it's good to keep in mind if I ever feel like upgrading on the cheap.

I just noticed a few days ago that the TB ACU is finally being sold separately, how do you like it? Can you independently control/balance chat and game volume?

Is that an alternative to a Mixamp 5.8?

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #22,661 of 48,562

The AD700/ADG1 is tricky to amp, cuz you don't need gain/volume, but more current can liven things up and make it less harsh. I only ever used it with a few amps tho... I suggest asking IEM users cuz they have similar needs, and looking for ClieOS' portable headphone amp thread. I always wanted a FiiO E11 for my AD700.
Creative says their Recon3D USB is compatible with PS4 chat too, so... That doesn't give me much hope from Astro
frown.gif

Nope, only volume.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #22,662 of 48,562

Oh right, I totally forgot about that!  Well, $60 is still a bit much right now... I'd rather put that money towards a DAC.  But it's good to keep in mind if I ever feel like upgrading on the cheap.

Yes.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #22,663 of 48,562

Q701 + Annie's pads sound like Annie's (bigger tolerance on driver matching tho), I can tell you that swapping Pads between my Q & K don't result in same-sounding headphones. Easier to tell when they're right next to eachother, basically the comparison sounds a lot like what you said about k612 vs K712, except the Q is a little brighter and I think the K712 extends deeper (but not more than the E12 bass boost Adds).

Dunno why I didn't just put my E12 in the box, so you could hear the boost difference :/
Slipped my mind.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #22,664 of 48,562
[mentioning TB Audio Control Unit]

Yep, has Dolby Headphone again too, but unlike the 5.8 it doesn't have the wireless component.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #22,665 of 48,562
Q701 + Annie's pads sound like Annie's (bigger tolerance on driver matching tho), I can tell you that swapping Pads between my Q & K don't result in same-sounding headphones. Easier to tell when they're right next to eachother, basically the comparison sounds a lot like what you said about k612 vs K712, except the Q is a little brighter and I think the K712 extends deeper (but not more than the E12 bass boost Adds).

Dunno why I didn't just put my E12 in the box, so you could hear the boost difference :/
Slipped my mind.

Remember, my comparison was between the K612 w/702 pads (completely different sound than stock) vs the K712.

Doing a brief comparison with stock pads, now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back