Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #22,666 of 48,562
Yep, has Dolby Headphone again too, but unlike the 5.8 it doesn't have the wireless component.

Soo... not an alternative to the 5.8, just to the normal Mixamp?  For some reason I thought it was wireless.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #22,667 of 48,562
He
Nope, only volume.

Hello mate. Cheers for the reply.
The ACU has plenty of capabilities and options for presets and the option to download user's 'home made' presets.
My criticism of it is, without locking the device I dare not touch it. It has capacitive and physical buttons all over it and I invariably change something. There is a master volume dial on top and a chat dial on the right hand side. On the left hand side is the volume dial for your MP3 player.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #22,668 of 48,562
Okay, pinpointing the differences between the stock K612 and K712 is much more difficult to distinguish. So far, I've only noticed a trade off in bass for mids (meaning the K612's mids are slightly more forward than the K712, while the K712 has more bass). Soundstage is about equal... while the K712's treble is slightly brighter.

Again, K712 is more refined and technically superior; mostly in the lower frequencies. Plus, one thing I forgot to mention, earlier, and still applies... the K612 is harder to drive than the K712...

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #22,669 of 48,562
He
Hello mate. Cheers for the reply.
The ACU has plenty of capabilities and options for presets and the option to download user's 'home made' presets.
My criticism of it is, without locking the device I dare not touch it. It has capacitive and physical buttons all over it and I invariably change something. There is a master volume dial on top and a chat dial on the right hand side. On the left hand side is the volume dial for your MP3 player.

So, you CAN change chat volume independently from game audio? That IS what I was asking, the ACU would then be the only other surround processor for consoles that can do that besides a Mixamp.

Did my amping suggestions help clarify?

Plus, one thing I forgot to mention, earlier, and still applies... the K612 is harder to drive than the K712...

I thought it might be, that could be a GOOD thing. Tube amps tend to have more gain, so it could be easier to be turned up past the point of channel imbalances and feed the headphone plenty of current.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #22,674 of 48,562
Three words:

Epic Shark Failure

Don't see why you're complaining. You knew full well that sharks do not like to be kissed on their tail while stroking their dorsal fin and calling them "Ms. Yolanda." Also, who the heck is Ms. Yolanda? You kept morning slightly every single time after you said it. Kinda creepy.

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #22,676 of 48,562
Hi Mad Lust,

I am Australia Sydney a something of an entry level gamer but forever searching of the ultimate gaming headset.

Firstly let me say out of all the forums and "reviews" by experts I find yours to be nothing but pure religion as its from experience, understanding, geared for a specific culture and it comes from the heart, so thank you...If there was ever a cult name for those who follow you I would call us "The Cult of Ascension to Pure Lust" in gamin.

I currently own the Titian Warhead 7.1 & before this a Turtle Beach headset but I am wanting to venture into something new & not the usual gaming "brands"

So just two question's I would like to ask;

(1) To improve the Warhead 7.1, what amp/decoder would you add if you had the choice & if they can be improved upon in any way?

(2) With a budget of $1000 - $1500, what ULTIMATE GAMING HEADSET would you personally purchase with the knowledge you have so far? This would include Headset, amp, decoder, mic & anything else you deemed needed to complete the package.

NOTE: I am 100% console Xbox 360 & Xbox one gamer ONLY...no PC or PlayStation.

Thanks,

Lance.

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #22,677 of 48,562
Hi Mad Lust,

I am Australia Sydney a something of an entry level gamer but forever searching of the ultimate gaming headset.

Firstly let me say out of all the forums and "reviews" by experts I find yours to be nothing but pure religion as its from experience, understanding, geared for a specific culture and it comes from the heart, so thank you...If there was ever a cult name for those who follow you I would call us "The Cult of Ascension to Pure Lust" in gamin.

I currently own the Titian Warhead 7.1 & before this a Turtle Beach headset but I am wanting to venture into something new & not the usual gaming "brands"

(1) To improve the Warhead 7.1, what amp/decoder would you add if you had the choice & if they can be improved upon in any way?

(2) With a budget of $1000 - $1500, what ULTIMATE GAMING HEADSET would you personally purchase with the knowledge you have so far? This would include Headset, amp, decoder, mic & anything else you deemed needed to complete the package.

Thanks,

Lance.

Hi Lance.
The answer to 1. is no. Those headsets are not made to be improved and they won't. It'd be a waste of money trying to anyways.
To 2. Well it depends. We need to know a bit more about your preferences and such. That's a very promising budget and there's quite a few headphones that'd fit there. Is it accuracy you seek? Enjoyment or soundstage? A bit of both or ear shaking bass? No music or movies in the mix? Tell us more and we'll sure be able to help :wink:

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #22,678 of 48,562
  Hi Mad Lust,

Thanks,

Lance.

You could get the beyerdynamic headzone game..the smyith realiser a8's the best of the best but it's a bit over your budget!

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #22,679 of 48,562
Lance,
Rarely do we see requests for "what IS the holy grail?" combined with a large budget. Kinda cool! Issue is... games don't usually have super-high quality sound files (very good but not HD Audio, the XB1 files CAN be better cuz BluRay has more space but that's no guarantee they WILL be better). So that kinda puts a limit on the max possibilities; you can still do well, but it kinda lends itself towards euphoric musical experience at the high end rather than ultra-resolving (relatively speaking, at a $1k + budget you will still have great resolution).

With that in mind, you could either blow your entire budget on the very very expensive Smith Realizer or the Beyer Headzone (which may be overkill for the source material), but I'd say play to the strengths and typical objectives of gaming. I suggest finding one of the older receivers (AVRs) by Marantz that have Dolby Headphone. Probably the best practical amp/DAC combo to use. That pretty much covers everything but headphone, you MAY be able to find a used deal on a Sennheiser HD800 for it's amazing clarity and depth of soundstage, buuuuuut again in respect to musicality and a headphone that just sweeps you off your feet and makes you ENJOY rather than analyze, I'd say the choice match would be either a Fostex TH900 or a HiFiman HE560. Superb, immersive choices.

So those are Holy Grail options, but I think it's best to figure out which direction you want to go before dumping a large sum into a headphone. Closed, open, extra bass, neutral, particular brand, fit and comfort, all these things are individual taste, BUT I hope I gave you a starting point and something to chew on :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back