Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #19,474 of 48,575
  Is there any way to ensure that the pads never get dirty on the X1? I was thinking about covering the pads with some kind of cloth, but that would probably alter the SQ right?

I'm pretty sure Chico has done a sock mod on his X1. That's a great way to keep them clean and it's not supposed to alter the sound.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #19,475 of 48,575
Hi Mad Lust Envy, great guide!
I have a qustion, I'm pretty much an hardcore gamer, I recently bought a xonar stx and i'm gonna buy my first headphone.
I noticed that the best headphones for gaming lack in bass, and I would like to use the stx for music and bluray too, with a pair of cans that gives it justice.
My question is: if I buy something like the Fidelio, or the dt990 (that from your guide are fun but even competitive), and I set a profile for gaming, decreasing the bass and increasing mids and highs, can I obtain that detail whoring of something like ad700? Or I have to buy ad700 for gaming and something else for music and films?
Do you have any suggestions? Gaming is my priority, so I can plan to buy a second pair of cans in future for everything else.
Thanks to everyone who will help me =)

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #19,476 of 48,575
++++1

I just picked up an E09K on sale at a local shop while waiting for them to re-stock the Asgard 2.  Wow... I didn't know my K702 Annies could sound like this.  I was driving them off an E17 or Audioengine D1 and thought they sounded pretty good.  Now with the E09K... it's like the bass and mids are filled in with more... bass and mids.  I've only had the amp a couple hours so I've only tried listening to my FLACs so far.  But yeah, if you get the Q/K701/2, don't skimp out on the amp.   

Yup, lol. I had the e11, but realized it made no difference to the sound of the q701. I let it sit for the next month with only 5-6 hours of use on it. I recently bought the schiit vali, and hopefully it pushes the q701.

Hi Mad Lust Envy, great guide!
I have a qustion, I'm pretty much an hardcore gamer, I recently bought a xonar stx and i'm gonna buy my first headphone.
I noticed that the best headphones for gaming lack in bass, and I would like to use the stx for music and bluray too, with a pair of cans that gives it justice.
My question is: if I buy something like the Fidelio, or the dt990 (that from your guide are fun but even competitive), and I set a profile for gaming, decreasing the bass and increasing mids and highs, can I obtain that detail whoring of something like ad700? Or I have to buy ad700 for gaming and something else for music and films?
Do you have any suggestions? Gaming is my priority, so I can plan to buy a second pair of cans in future for everything else.
Thanks to everyone who will help me =)

Imo, thwres no such thing as an "all rounder" headphone that's good at movies, music, and gaming. Many recommend to buy different headphones for different purposes (ie one for gaming, one for music/movies). Really big enthusiasts have different headphones per music genres they have!

Anyways, what I've done is that I own a q701 for gaming and a ultrasone pro 750 for music/movies. And sometimes I'll use the ultrasone for some games like braid or other single player games like Skyrim or starcraft for more immersion or to enjoy the soundtrack more. However, if you still want one all rounder headphone, you can look at the HD558. From my very limited experience, I feel like that headphone is not great for all 3 purposes, but it's certainly not bad, and will do what you want it to do.

Also, this is an aside, but for hardcore gaming, you should probably look into the titanium HD sound card. The Asus std I think is better for music/movies whereas the titanium HD is good for gaming/music and with some equalizing, you can probably also make it work for movies, but I'm just nit-picking.

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #19,478 of 48,575
  Hey Mad Lust Envy, it's me again, the one who was asking about the Phillips Fidelio X1s :) (Here)

So, I bought them and they are really, really good. Much better bass and a great soundstage. Now I have a few more questions :)

1. The 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and adapter that comes with it seems to be ok, but you recommend buying a different one. Will a different increase sound performance due to no adapter?

2. Also, I got the Xonar DGX Soundcard and eventually I got it to work but my driver can't detect it, when I open Asus Audio Center it says 'Can't find any device'. I want to tweak sound settings but without driver access I can't What do I do?

Thanks for your help in the past too :)

1) If you're using an adapter you'll want something like this in order to not put strain on the jack into which you're plugging. MLE recommends a different cable in order to improve the sound slightly and also not require an adapter.

2) Contact Asus support here.

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #19,479 of 48,575
It's the same, just edits.
wink.gif

The Shure 1840 is up next.

Yay! Finally. I was considering the SRH1540, but I wanna read up on these too. Thanks :]

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #19,480 of 48,575
Yup, lol. I had the e11, but realized it made no difference to the sound of the q701. I let it sit for the next month with only 5-6 hours of use on it. I recently bought the schiit vali, and hopefully it pushes the q701.
Imo, thwres no such thing as an "all rounder" headphone that's good at movies, music, and gaming. Many recommend to buy different headphones for different purposes (ie one for gaming, one for music/movies). Really big enthusiasts have different headphones per music genres they have!

Anyways, what I've done is that I own a q701 for gaming and a ultrasone pro 750 for music/movies. And sometimes I'll use the ultrasone for some games like braid or other single player games like Skyrim or starcraft for more immersion or to enjoy the soundtrack more. However, if you still want one all rounder headphone, you can look at the HD558. From my very limited experience, I feel like that headphone is not great for all 3 purposes, but it's certainly not bad, and will do what you want it to do.

Also, this is an aside, but for hardcore gaming, you should probably look into the titanium HD sound card. The Asus std I think is better for music/movies whereas the titanium HD is good for gaming/music and with some equalizing, you can probably also make it work for movies, but I'm just nit-picking.

First of all thank you for the reply,
I heard good things about the titanium, and maybe i'll try out that soundcard in the future, but also lots of players prefers dolby headphones for gaming and what I like about the stx is the internal amp so I can choose headphones without thinking too much about the impedence.
I'm pretty sure you're right, probably there's not an all round headphones, but i'm asking cause this guide is based on console, and since i'm a pc players with a soundcard maybe there's a particular headphones that can be set for gaming and for music/movies with good results.
Aside from that, I really like the q701, they look awesome. The reason I haven't bought them yet is they're sooo much pricey than ad700 and for gaming maybe ad700 are the better choice...dunno

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #19,482 of 48,575
To those saying there is no such thing as a headphone that does everything, from gaming, music, movies, etc... there are.

Alpha Dog
K702 Anniversary

Two good choices right there.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #19,483 of 48,575
^ dude, if you lived within 50 miles, you would've [met me and] heard the K712 by now. And the Omni, though it's still in the shipping box from Amazon (been real busy). I think that the K712 is probably VERY similar to the Annie's, and I believe that they are currently cheaper as well?
Still, I respect you for not recommending headphones you haven't heard. So I'm just adding my data point: K712 also = good [open] all-rounder.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #19,485 of 48,575
The K702 Anniversary and K712 are interchangeable as far as both of them being all-rounders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back