Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 29, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #19,486 of 48,575
To those saying there is no such thing as a headphone that does everything, from gaming, music, movies, etc... there are.

Alpha Dog
K702 Anniversary

To good choices right there.

I own both and agree 100%. Both are relatively inexpensive IMO. At least compared to HD800, SR-009, LCD-XC, and TH-900 flagships which might be just marginally better than the Annie's and Alpha Dogs. If I had to own just one it'd be the Alpha Dogs because they're sealed yet sound very close to open. YMMV.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #19,487 of 48,575
I'd like to toss into the ring that the STAX SR-009 are excellent all-rounders as well.

I sure hope so, given the price...

...but for what it's worth, I also deem the Stax SR-Lambda (1979 Normal bias model) to also be an excellent all-rounder.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #19,488 of 48,575
The Fidelio X1 can also be added to the mix, though with a little extra emphasis on bass.

The MA900 can too, though some may prefer more emphasis on treble, and a bass that extends lower than the 50hz that the MA900 basically starts out in (in terms of matching at least everything else.)

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #19,489 of 48,575
The thing with all rounders is that one will always have you feeling like you want something more. Whether it be more bass, more mids, larger soundstage, etc, ect... something will always be missing. Better to have two headphones that compliment each other towards your needs, if you ask me...

Oh, sorry about our wallets... :p

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #19,490 of 48,575
I dunno, the Alpha Dog is almost the perfect all rounder, IMO. What it may lack may be in a subjective preference of tonality. As far as bass, mids, treble, soundstage, positional cues? It has all of it. I haven't heard a headphone so dialed in to make every aspect of sound...sound so good. I swear, if it had pads like the 1540, that'd be pretty much the best headphone to own since it does everything so well.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #19,491 of 48,575
The Alpha would have me craving more bass as it has less than the MD... because even when I had that I wanted more. Hence the 1540...

The K712, for its purpose, had me craving less of a mid bass hump... hence the 1840. At first, I was craving more bass when I was looking for an all rounder... but there were too many trade offs (especially when I was gaming and chatting).

But even with the 1840... I'm left craving more soundstage. So, still looking for that near perfect open headphone. HD800? Yes, when I hit the lotto lol.

I'm happy with the 1540 w/Alpha pads as my closed and 'fun' headphones. That is, until someone let's me demo the TH900.

TH900 + HD800 = every head-fier's dream (or Chico's, at least :p)

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #19,492 of 48,575
The Alpha would have me craving more bass as it has less than the MD... because even when I had that I wanted more.

Did you get to play around with the bass adjustment screw?

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #19,493 of 48,575
Did you get to play around with the bass adjustment screw?

From what I've read the screw adjustment has no positive effect, whatsoever, as the enhanced bass isn't well controlled... which would make it redundant to have such a feature, IMO. It's actually the main disappointment Ive read about... along with the actual weight of the headphone. The MD was a bit heavy on my head, sometimes, after extended periods. So I can only imagine the AD. My neck is used to light headphones on my head... like the open AKGs and now the recent Shures.

Again, this is only going from what I've researched... and the last two reviews have confirmed my concerns about the Alpha (for my preference in a closed headphone).

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #19,494 of 48,575
The thing with all rounders is that one will always have you feeling like you want something more. Whether it be more bass, more mids, larger soundstage, etc, ect... something will always be missing. Better to have two headphones that compliment each other towards your needs, if you ask me...

Oh, sorry about our wallets... :p

I personally found it the opposite, a good all-rounder will satisfy and prevent me from listening to all my other headphones. I'm perfectly satisfied with my K612 on my hybrid tube amp, it does everything I want it to do very well. It sounds better on all genres and applications than my other headphones as it sounds the most realistic of any headphone I have owned by a long shot and it's an addicting bugger. I never felt the urge for more even though I know of and have heard better headphones and systems.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #19,495 of 48,575
Sorry to interrupt, but I have some leftover dollars in my pocket and I'm thinking of buying a noice set of headphones for gaming. I took a look at this thread and decided either the AD700X or the PC360 would suite my needs. Of course you can already tell what I'm going to ask next, but which is better? The AD700X has a great soundstage and all that snaz, but is uncomfortable for small headed people like me. While the PC360 has a wunderbar ID and a mic, which I don't have. I don't play FPS all day every day, as I mostly play strategy and RPG games (Skyrim only for the moment) and some Battlefield 4. 

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #19,496 of 48,575
Rainbow,
Was your second post the same as your first?

From what you've said, I'd recommend the PC360 (or the cheaper but essentially the same HD558 with a cheap lapel mic), though I think if you read the guide post and weighed the pros and cons, you would come to the same conclusion (unless you have a higher budget). GL HF.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #19,497 of 48,575
  Sorry to interrupt, but I have some leftover dollars in my pocket and I'm thinking of buying a noice set of headphones for gaming. I took a look at this thread and decided either the AD700X or the PC360 would suite my needs. Of course you can already tell what I'm going to ask next, but which is better? The AD700X has a great soundstage and all that snaz, but is uncomfortable for small headed people like me. While the PC360 has a wunderbar ID and a mic, which I don't have. I don't play FPS all day every day, as I mostly play strategy and RPG games (Skyrim only for the moment) and some Battlefield 4. 

Get the Sennheiser HD558.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #19,498 of 48,575
The MD was a bit heavy on my head, sometimes, after extended periods. So I can only imagine the AD. My neck is used to light headphones on my head.

Growing up I used a machine like this a couple times a week. Many people use it to train their neck for wrestling and such, I used it to train my neck for skiing. This machine is wonderful and it has improved my listening pleasure immensely, as I can wear pretty much any headphone on my head no matter how heavy and still find it comfortable. The Mad Dogs don't feel heavy in the slightest to me, in fact I can completely forget that they're on my head at times.

This is something every headphone aficionado should have in their home.

[disclaimer: this is partially a joke and partially truth]

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #19,500 of 48,575
mad.gif

:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back