Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #16,306 of 48,583
Quote:

Stop listening to my voicemail message!

Haha!

How you been enyoyin those M80s since you posted your first impressions?

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #16,307 of 48,583
Quote:

Haha!

How you been enyoyin those M80s since you posted your first impressions?

Very much so. Currently running them directly off my iPad and watching Netflix. Nothing fancy, but they're certainly excellent portables. Going to give some more gaming time Tuesday evening when the new Borderlands 2 DLC is out, again with the BoomPro cable. But for today and tomorrow they're being used at work.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #16,308 of 48,583
Quote:
Nameless, how much again for your Recon3D? Or would you honestly recommend a Creative soundcard instead (you see the Thief 4 trailer?)?

$70 shipped, as an initial offer.

The internal sound cards don't even have Mac drivers, if you're taking the Mac Pro or Hackintosh route. I had almost forgotten that part being of particular use to you.

As for Thief 4...everything I've heard about it has basically been bad news, to say the least.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #16,309 of 48,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCoris

Very much so. Currently running them directly off my iPad and watching Netflix. Nothing fancy, but they're certainly excellent portables. Going to give some more gaming time Tuesday evening when the new Borderlands 2 DLC is out, again with the BoomPro cable. But for today and tomorrow they're being used at work.

Nice!

Is there a way to get that boompro mic to fit on the SE MDs with an angled adapter or something? And if so... any idea on where to get an adapter of sort?

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #16,310 of 48,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for Thief 4...everything I've heard about it has basically been bad news, to say the least.

I'm actually looking forward to The Evil Within by Bethesda. I'm really looking forward to what they will do for the horror genre this generation.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #16,311 of 48,583
Quote:

Nice!

Is there a way to get that boompro mic to fit on the SE MDs with an angled adapter or something? And if so... any idea on where to get an adapter of sort?

I'm currently looking for this exact kind of adapter. As soon as something reasonable shows up I'm going to buy it and give it a try. If I can find a good angled adapter then I feel this will replace my Modmic. I'll probably end up selling the Modmic included with my white Q701, assuming the buyer wants the pair braided together to create a shorter length.

However, should I follow through with my plans to upgrade my Mad Dogs to Alpha Dogs...

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #16,312 of 48,583
Quote:

I'm actually looking forward to The Evil Within by Bethesda. I'm really looking forward to what they will do for the horror genre this generation.

For horror gaming, I kickstarted U55 - End of the Line. One of the biggest reasons is the following quote:

"The game features binaural sound effects especially intended for stereo headsets. These are designed to support the disturbing, adrenaline-driven atmosphere and enhance your perception."

There are some interesting titles coming out for the horror genre, including Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs which is out on the 10th.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #16,313 of 48,583
$70 shipped, as an initial offer.

The internal sound cards don't even have Mac drivers, if you're taking the Mac Pro or Hackintosh route. I had almost forgotten that part being of particular use to you.

Yep, I love me some Mac, still prefer it and find it more reliable with less maintenance, I even found that for some reason when I had a dual-boot system that the stock Win8 install downloaded far slower than the Mac side (10x as fast, must be Ethernet driver issue or something with what came with Win8 Pro), but now that I have a legit Mac in a separate box... it's not as important. Part of me says "Stick with your plan you made 6 months ago! Get an internal soundcard for the PC and just use SC on the receiver with your console!" But I'm still living with the parents, trying to find a roommate who won't screw me over, and currently I have some space and setup limitations.

Anyway, just beat Heart of the Swarm (recommended, most fun I've had in an RTS!), so I'm going to eat something and pick an Xbox game to test the DSS + M-100 combo some more. Write notes. What do you guys think, some Halo 4/Reach, Batman Arkham City, Alan Wake?

AxelCloris,
The binaural audio looks promising, but to be honest, I'd turn off the binaural "beats" feature. I can tell the difference between game and life, but some things push too far, and I think I'd be too sensitive to that stuff based on my personal history with trying to use similar techniques, EEG feedback, and etc to have a positive mental effect... I don't like to be fully freaked out, it tends to stick with me longer than I'm comfortable with.
Also, seems like the audio is the main creative effort in that game, haven't seen much else besides general setting. Story, gameplay, graphics? They mention Occulus Rift, but that's about it.
May throw a few bucks at it anyway, just to support better audio in games.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #16,314 of 48,583
Quote:

I'm currently looking for this exact kind of adapter. As soon as something reasonable shows up I'm going to buy it and give it a try. If I can find a good angled adapter then I feel this will replace my Modmic. I'll probably end up selling the Modmic included with my white Q701, assuming the buyer wants the pair braided together to create a shorter length.

However, should I follow through with my plans to upgrade my Mad Dogs to Alpha Dogs...

I'd be interested in that modmic when the time comes for you to sell it.

As for the Alphas... yea it's still a toss up for me. It all depends on how big of a soundstage Dan was able to create on them... because if it's better than good than I will only be having one pair of home cans then. Still, I may just keep the MDs and go with the K712 PRO down the line. I'll wait until Dan starts doing the upgrade process and make my decision by then.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #16,315 of 48,583
I think after the revelation that is the MA900 for me, I won't be buying any other full sized headphone that doesn't match it's weight and comfort. So basically, unless Sony makes a higher end model with similar design (kind of like the F1, SA5000, Qualia) with an improved, but similar tonal balance, I don't have any real reason to upgrade from the MA900.

It is the everyday, well balanced, multi-purpose headphone for me.

Better sound is worthless if you're constantly missing the comfort of something cheaperthat still sounds great.

I put on my X1 for an hour, and then I just wanna go back to the MA900...

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #16,316 of 48,583
Quote:
I think after the revelation that is the MA900 for me, I won't be buying any other full sized headphone that doesn't match it's weight and comfort. So basically, unless Sony makes a higher end model with similar design (kind of like the F1, SA5000, Qualia) with an improved, but similar tonal balance, I don't have any real reason to upgrade from the MA900.

It is the everyday, well balanced, multi-purpose headphone for me.

Better sound is worthless if you're constantly missing the comfort of something cheaperthat still sounds great.

I put on my X1 for an hour, and then I just wanna go back to the MA900...

Are you sayin the X1 will be up for sale soon?
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #16,317 of 48,583
I do enjoy the sound of the X1 a bit more for my taste in music, but in the end, it's whether I'll keep the X1 for just music use and heavy action movies and games (which I still think the MA900 does well), or get some of my money back and apply it to something else like a desktop dac/amp (looking at the Nuforce Icon DAC which is new, amp/dac, and powerful, but no optical in).

Though I need a new TV/monitor, so I could go for that...

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #16,318 of 48,583
All those are plausible options for you, my friend. If you find yourself using only one headphone over 90% of the time than why keep both? I'm at 60-40 with my MDs and Anniversaries. Though the last couple days I've been using the MDs 100% of the time. Anniversaries are sitting in a box waiting for a new home.

So how about now I'm venturing into looking at the HE500 to match my MDs (possibly Alphas in future). I'm thinking about saving the funds I get from the Anniversary and going that route in a few months. But then I will have to upgrade my equipment as well... sheesh! Doubt I'll do it... but it's a thought if the funds come around.

You heard the HE500?

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #16,319 of 48,583
Nah, the weight has always put me off. Now with my owning of the MA900, I'd probably be even more critical on headphone comfort. Comfort reigns supreme, and heavy headphones have no more place in my home. If it weren't an issue, I would've just been happy with the LCD2. I love that headphone's sound. But man, it's just not the most comfortable thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back