Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 8, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #46,441 of 48,566
X7 is indeed a bit over the price range. Plus I don't really like how bulky it is and I probably wouldn't use 90% of its functionality ever. I just need great stereo sound for music and Dolby digital/DTS virtual surround for gaming. There's also the SB AE-9, a more discrete option I guess but also on the expensive side.

Cans I plan to use this with right now are the aforementioned V-Modas but probably add some slightly higher impedance semiopen full size down the line (haven't really decided what yet).

The mic option I'm after is boompro style, mounted to the headphones, I don't want to go down the path of separate desktop mic.
Having been where you are going now, perhaps I can make some suggestions:

I started with a G6 for everything, and I've moved on from there. As for a VSS solution, SBX works fine, except that I don't care for their rear cues. (CMSS-3D was their better solution) I also like to listen to music while I game, so not having to deal with surround shaping my stereo music is a plus. My current setup works, since I retired my G6, and now use Waves NX or Redscape (I have a license for both) for gaming, and Dolby Access / DTS:X for when I watch movies, or use a game with Atmos / DTS:X support.

One nice feature of NX / RS is that they use a virtual sound driver to capture the audio. But there is nothing stopping you from directing your music player to feed directly to your DAC. So you set up NX / RS for default sound, going out to my SMSL M300, so the game outputs to that, and, for example, I setup Amazon Music HD to use my SMSL M300 device directly. This way, my stereo music is unmolested, yet my gaming is HRTF embedded.

I have a Modmic Uni, but retired that in favor of a USB desk mic on a gooseneck stand. You could use your onboard audio for your boom pro. (I have one of these too)

You can read here for more information on VSS solutions : https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/chastitys-review-of-virtual-surround-solutions.436597/

and read MLE's info in earlier parts of this thread.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #46,442 of 48,566
Personally I use 50% surround and 20% crystallizer. Creative recommends no more than 67% surround for gaming.

So I've been talking to Creative and it doesn't seem like you can combine the Sound Blaster X3 with the AE-9 or X7. I was hoping to have the sound quality of the AE-9 combined with the VSS of Super X-Fi, lol
Good to know. I just got my Super X-Fi yesterday, but haven't had a chance to compare with my X7, yet.

Has anybody tried double amping a Super X-Fi dongle with an X7?

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #46,443 of 48,566
MLE, nice setup! I read your reviews on the Penrose and the LCD-GX.

I also posted in the recommendations/new users introductions. While not necessarily a new user, it's been many years since I posted. I could use a bit of schooling too and this looks like a much better thread for my interests because I'm ultimately working on a ps5 gaming set up with my Sony x900h.

To paraphrase my post,

Overall
  1. I'm looking for a new $500-1000 pair of headphones to add to my collection that I can use to game on the PS5 console together with my Sony x900h & PS5. I specifically want to upgrade from the "lower-tier" cans that I've had (Momentum 2s, HD598s, V-Moda, Razer Kracken).
  2. I want to learn about some good options for that setup, between Headphone <—> amp/DAC <—> PS5/TV. I've currently only got an OPPO HA-2 amp/DAC and I wonder if there's a good way to hook it up with my living room setup. I won't be gaming at a desk but from the couch/recliner.
No PC use here.

What I intend to use the headphones for:
  • Games — I'm not a competitive gamer; footstep accuracy is not a big deal for me. I'll be playing a lot of single-player immersive games on PS5 like The Witcher 3, Control, God of War, whatever else comes out, you name it. I will play the occasional competitive game but I'm by no means looking for an edge and could relatively care less about the headphone's ability to increase my performance. No PC gaming.
  • Music — I'm a generalist when it comes to music and I listen to electronic music just as much as instrumental or vocal. I do want a headphone that can musically satisfy.
  • Films/Shows — I'm definitely interested in the headphone also performing well with watching entertainment.

Some Headphones I'm Considering:

Budget not being a thing I would probably jump on the HD800s and call it good, but I don't think I'll be spending more than $1000 on my next cans, and I don't think I have the proper equipment to drive HD800s anyways. There are some headphones that have turned me onto this journey that I've recently learned about:
  1. The Audeze LCD-GX
    • These caught my attention from your review, MLE, and I've seen a lot of reviews since. Did you choose to keep a pair of them? Would you pull the trigger on these over a Penrose or Mobius? I've been a fan of the LCD-2 and Audeze sound and I've really wanted to add a planar magnetic headphone to my lineup. The mic on these has been pretty poorly rated by some, although I don't often use the mic for voice chat on the console, so I'm not as concerned about it. I've read and watched many reviews and it sounds like it's up my alley, and musical enough to be useful for all three categories that I'm interested in.
  2. Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro
    • I've heard good things, but that they might be a bit bright and studio-focused.
  3. The Audeze Mobius/Penrose
    • More traditionally designed for gaming/as headsets, these are appealing.
    • BUT I feel they might be geared heavily for competitive gaming and I worry they might not feel like enough of a step-up from the audio I've already experienced for other applications like music/film.
I'm all ears for recommendations on cans for my use case.

Question on setup:
I have no idea how to use external equipment to upgrade my PS5 couch console setup. Like I said I've got the OPPO HA2 dac/AMP. It's pretty portable and I might be able to connect it directly to the PS5 controller for all I know. Any other ideas? Could anyone point me in the right direction for literature on this?

Thanks for any advice!

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #46,444 of 48,566
Good to know. I just got my Super X-Fi yesterday, but haven't had a chance to compare with my X7, yet.

Has anybody tried double amping a Super X-Fi dongle with an X7?

Let me know how it goes!

MLE, nice setup! I read your reviews on the Penrose and the LCD-GX.

I also posted in the recommendations/new users introductions. While not necessarily a new user, it's been many years since I posted. I could use a bit of schooling too and this looks like a much better thread for my interests because I'm ultimately working on a ps5 gaming set up with my Sony x900h.

To paraphrase my post,

Overall
  1. I'm looking for a new $500-1000 pair of headphones to add to my collection that I can use to game on the PS5 console together with my Sony x900h & PS5. I specifically want to upgrade from the "lower-tier" cans that I've had (Momentum 2s, HD598s, V-Moda, Razer Kracken).
  2. I want to learn about some good options for that setup, between Headphone <—> amp/DAC <—> PS5/TV. I've currently only got an OPPO HA-2 amp/DAC and I wonder if there's a good way to hook it up with my living room setup. I won't be gaming at a desk but from the couch/recliner.
No PC use here.

What I intend to use the headphones for:
  • Games — I'm not a competitive gamer; footstep accuracy is not a big deal for me. I'll be playing a lot of single-player immersive games on PS5 like The Witcher 3, Control, God of War, whatever else comes out, you name it. I will play the occasional competitive game but I'm by no means looking for an edge and could relatively care less about the headphone's ability to increase my performance. No PC gaming.
  • Music — I'm a generalist when it comes to music and I listen to electronic music just as much as instrumental or vocal. I do want a headphone that can musically satisfy.
  • Films/Shows — I'm definitely interested in the headphone also performing well with watching entertainment.

Some Headphones I'm Considering:

Budget not being a thing I would probably jump on the HD800s and call it good, but I don't think I'll be spending more than $1000 on my next cans, and I don't think I have the proper equipment to drive HD800s anyways. There are some headphones that have turned me onto this journey that I've recently learned about:
  1. The Audeze LCD-GX
    • These caught my attention from your review, MLE, and I've seen a lot of reviews since. Did you choose to keep a pair of them? Would you pull the trigger on these over a Penrose or Mobius? I've been a fan of the LCD-2 and Audeze sound and I've really wanted to add a planar magnetic headphone to my lineup. The mic on these has been pretty poorly rated by some, although I don't often use the mic for voice chat on the console, so I'm not as concerned about it. I've read and watched many reviews and it sounds like it's up my alley, and musical enough to be useful for all three categories that I'm interested in.
  2. Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro
    • I've heard good things, but that they might be a bit bright and studio-focused.
  3. The Audeze Mobius/Penrose
    • More traditionally designed for gaming/as headsets, these are appealing.
    • BUT I feel they might be geared heavily for competitive gaming and I worry they might not feel like enough of a step-up from the audio I've already experienced for other applications like music/film.
I'm all ears for recommendations on cans for my use case.

Question on setup:
I have no idea how to use external equipment to upgrade my PS5 couch console setup. Like I said I've got the OPPO HA2 dac/AMP. It's pretty portable and I might be able to connect it directly to the PS5 controller for all I know. Any other ideas? Could anyone point me in the right direction for literature on this?

Thanks for any advice!

For that price range, you should consider the Gold Planar GL2000 double magnet version. I use them along with my Fostex TH900's for gaming, and I really like them. They're about $700 bucks but they definitely compete with headphones that are double the price. They're relatively easy to drive so you don't need a super powerful amp, very versatile and they respond to EQ very well. They're very immersive for gaming and also happen to be quite accurate when paired with the right VSS solution.

I was so impressed with them, I kept them - so now I like to switch between my Fostex and these every few days.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #46,445 of 48,566
For that price range, you should consider the Gold Planar GL2000 double magnet version. I use them along with my Fostex TH900's for gaming, and I really like them. They're about $700 bucks but they definitely compete with headphones that are double the price. They're relatively easy to drive so you don't need a super powerful amp, very versatile and they respond to EQ very well. They're very immersive for gaming and also happen to be quite accurate when paired with the right VSS solution.

I was so impressed with them, I kept them - so now I like to switch between my Fostex and these every few days.
I wasn't made aware of the GL2000 — I'll have to consider those as well! Thanks for your input.

Mar 9, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #46,446 of 48,566
Having been where you are going now, perhaps I can make some suggestions:

I started with a G6 for everything, and I've moved on from there. As for a VSS solution, SBX works fine, except that I don't care for their rear cues. (CMSS-3D was their better solution) I also like to listen to music while I game, so not having to deal with surround shaping my stereo music is a plus. My current setup works, since I retired my G6, and now use Waves NX or Redscape (I have a license for both) for gaming, and Dolby Access / DTS:X for when I watch movies, or use a game with Atmos / DTS:X support.

One nice feature of NX / RS is that they use a virtual sound driver to capture the audio. But there is nothing stopping you from directing your music player to feed directly to your DAC. So you set up NX / RS for default sound, going out to my SMSL M300, so the game outputs to that, and, for example, I setup Amazon Music HD to use my SMSL M300 device directly. This way, my stereo music is unmolested, yet my gaming is HRTF embedded.

I have a Modmic Uni, but retired that in favor of a USB desk mic on a gooseneck stand. You could use your onboard audio for your boom pro. (I have one of these too)

You can read here for more information on VSS solutions : https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/chastitys-review-of-virtual-surround-solutions.436597/

and read MLE's info in earlier parts of this thread.
Earlier parts of this thread @ 3100 pages xD whew

Thanks a lot for your insight. It seems like a pretty good idea to go for Redscape (seems kind of most sympathetic at this point) and get a proper desktop DAC/AMP, although I still prefer mic-in capability to benefit from both worlds. Mayflower ARC Mk2 seeming pretty good, although it's a tad on the expensive side.

Any subjective take on sound quality comparisons between ARC, Schiit Hel and G6? Night and day?

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #46,447 of 48,566
Earlier parts of this thread @ 3100 pages xD whew

Thanks a lot for your insight. It seems like a pretty good idea to go for Redscape (seems kind of most sympathetic at this point) and get a proper desktop DAC/AMP, although I still prefer mic-in capability to benefit from both worlds. Mayflower ARC Mk2 seeming pretty good, although it's a tad on the expensive side.

Any subjective take on sound quality comparisons between ARC, Schiit Hel and G6? Night and day?
The Schiit Hel is a nice AIO if you need the external mic option. and you don't need premium features offered in software, like noise reduction. The G6 has all the fun software support, and SBX option, and you can get refurbs from Creative via their website for $80 US. I didn't have any major issues of their ADC, but I do like my USB desk mic more. After comparing the G6's analog out to the SMSL M300 MKII, I discovered a couple of flaws with the G6. (grainy sound + rolled off bass)

Both units will work with Waves NX or Redscape just fine, as well as Dolby Access and DTS:X.

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #46,448 of 48,566
Great to see this thread is still alive and kicking! I wonder if it close to a record for the largest/longest thread on the internet...

Since I got my hands on a PS5 recently, I have been researching different sound options (including the disappointment about optical, UAC2 etc etc).

I have always used a mixamp, to get Virtual surround. Therein lies my question, especially for people familiar with virtual surround (aka all of you probably).

How does the Mixamp virtual surround compare to the tempest audio virtual surround? As I see it, I have 2 options. Either buy a HDMI - optical extractor, or buy a new DAC/AMP. Since the mayflower arc 2 can handle PS5 audio, I was eyeballing that one, but the price tag is quite steep therefore I would like to know if it is actually better than the mixamp solution (aka buy an extractor for ~30 euros). Although I am open for other solutions with provide external virtual surround.

Other information which might effect the advice: I recently bought a PC38X, which are fairly easy to drive I believe. I game on a 1080p monitor without optical out, meaning I don't need HDMI 2.1. Additionally, a new dac/amp would have the added benefit as a desk amp while working.

I have been reading a lot of mixed opinions on the Tempest vs DH implementation, so very curious to hear opinions about that part. Additionally, are all of you still in favor of virtual surround at all? The imaging on the PC38x is quite good, so I am curious if plain stereo wouldn't do the job just as well. I have been AB testing it, but since I currently just use the dual sense as DAC/AMP, i feel it is all just very mediocre.

Thanks!

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #46,449 of 48,566
The Schiit Hel is a nice AIO if you need the external mic option. and you don't need premium features offered in software, like noise reduction. The G6 has all the fun software support, and SBX option, and you can get refurbs from Creative via their website for $80 US. I didn't have any major issues of their ADC, but I do like my USB desk mic more. After comparing the G6's analog out to the SMSL M300 MKII, I discovered a couple of flaws with the G6. (grainy sound + rolled off bass)

Both units will work with Waves NX or Redscape just fine, as well as Dolby Access and DTS:X.
Alright, I think I'll go with the better sounding solution, so Hel or ARC Mk2. Now if I could only decide between the two.. ARC seems to be a tad better all rounder, but no idea about which sound signature I'd like more.. Zeos really hypes up the ARC Mk2 in his review, but Hel doesn't receive any less praise.

Edit: But if I also want MQA, then I'm screwed I think.. would have to go separate mic+dac/amp way

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #46,450 of 48,566
Since I got my hands on a PS5 recently, I have been researching different sound options (including the disappointment about optical, UAC2 etc etc).

I have always used a mixamp, to get Virtual surround. Therein lies my question, especially for people familiar with virtual surround (aka all of you probably).

How does the Mixamp virtual surround compare to the tempest audio virtual surround? As I see it, I have 2 options. Either buy a HDMI - optical extractor, or buy a new DAC/AMP. Since the mayflower arc 2 can handle PS5 audio, I was eyeballing that one, but the price tag is quite steep therefore I would like to know if it is actually better than the mixamp solution (aka buy an extractor for ~30 euros). Although I am open for other solutions with provide external virtual surround.

Other information which might effect the advice: I recently bought a PC38X, which are fairly easy to drive I believe. I game on a 1080p monitor without optical out, meaning I don't need HDMI 2.1. Additionally, a new dac/amp would have the added benefit as a desk amp while working.

I have been reading a lot of mixed opinions on the Tempest vs DH implementation, so very curious to hear opinions about that part. Additionally, are all of you still in favor of virtual surround at all? The imaging on the PC38x is quite good, so I am curious if plain stereo wouldn't do the job just as well. I have been AB testing it, but since I currently just use the dual sense as DAC/AMP, i feel it is all just very mediocre.
I want to make sure Qupie is answered, although I want to follow up as I've also got a PS5 and similar questions about the setup.

Say I've got an Audeze LCD-GX, an OPPO HA-2 DAC/Amp, and a Sony X900H Bravia, and a Playstation 5. That's my gear for my living room gaming/film watching setup.
I want to get what I can out of them and connect them to the amp/DAC too.

So, PS5 does not feature an optical cable slot. It has multiple USB ports in the front and the back, and it seems that support for DACs/Amps via PS5 is somewhat limited (no UAC2 support). Similar to what Qupie mentioned, someone on Reddit mentioned getting around this with an HDMI extractor like this one: https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Newest-Extractor-Support-Vision/dp/B06XRT9VGL. Is that a viable option?

The X900H does have an optical out, although it's currently used by the sound bar in my living room.

Finally, I'm around 12' away from the TV when I'm on my couch. Is the best option for getting my headphones to reach and connect to my system really to buy a super long audio cable? If so, any suggestions on one that wouldn't make me cry from the expense?

Thanks!
J

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #46,451 of 48,566
I think I can answer some of those questions @jjpresturd

The big drawbacks on the audio extractors are HDMI features. Most are only HDMI 1.4. That means you are not able to use 4K@120, I don't think you can 4K@60 either, but I do think you can 1080@120 (Right? Because I am personally banking on that).
You are also loosing stuff like VRR and freesync. So keep that in mind (I don't need any of it, since my monitor doesn't support it except VRR). As far as my research reached, it doesn't introduce an input delay though, which was one of my fears.

Your specific use case lets me wonder though if some kind of Toslink splitter wouldn't be better (so you don't interupt the HDMI at all) and cheaper. But I have zero knowledge or experience in the quality of such devices.

But now I look at it, your oppo doesn't have an optical input, does it? So I am not sure where you would like the optical signal to get into LOL

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #46,452 of 48,566
I think I can answer some of those questions @jjpresturd

The big drawbacks on the audio extractors are HDMI features. Most are only HDMI 1.4. That means you are not able to use 4K@120, I don't think you can 4K@60 either, but I do think you can 1080@120 (Right? Because I am personally banking on that).
You are also loosing stuff like VRR and freesync. So keep that in mind (I don't need any of it, since my monitor doesn't support it except VRR). As far as my research reached, it doesn't introduce an input delay though, which was one of my fears.

Your specific use case lets me wonder though if some kind of Toslink splitter wouldn't be better (so you don't interupt the HDMI at all) and cheaper. But I have zero knowledge or experience in the quality of such devices.

But now I look at it, your oppo doesn't have an optical input, does it? So I am not sure where you would like the optical signal to get into LOL
Excellent thoughts and thanks for the response! -- yes, now I think I was getting ahead of myself there. The Oppo HA-2 at the very least will be what I listen to the cans at my desktop with. I'm really very keen on getting a living room setup going and seeking a proper solution for headphones there. As you mention it, loss of 4k@60/VRR/etc. are huge losses in my book, because I bought the TV specifically to have those features via the HDMI 2.1 -- I hadn't even considered that the splitter wouldn't support it, so thanks for the info.

New technology; new issues. . . I should mention I'm also willing to consider a separate DAC/Amp for the living room setup. Some have been playing with the G6 Soundblaster. I suppose the best option might be to have one that has an optical input and to use that input on my TV. Unfortunately, I'd have to swap it out every time from the soundbar that currently uses it. I wish I had a bit more knowledge on this, it's holding me back!

I wonder about using the audio out or USB-c directly from the PS5 DualSense to the Audio-in 3.5mm on the HA-2 . . .

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #46,453 of 48,566
If I'm playing a PS4 game or want to play with SBX, I'll switch the ps5 audio to hdmi, making sure its dolby digital. The TV outputs dolby through the optical out, into the G6 optical in.

I don't do the latter much anymore (since I don't really play any ps4 games anymore) but it's an option.

Sorry for double posting, but this caught me attention. You play warzone on PS5 right? I am looking to buy a solution for that game specifically for now, so I am curious if you notice improvement going Toslink 5.1 vs USB 2.0 in warzone.

G6 B-stock is actually on sale right now, its incredibly cheap. I think I will have to go for that one (kind of afraid of all the bugs people online are having though).

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #46,454 of 48,566
Let me know how it goes!
Tried it out a little bit last night on some music and YouTube videos. Pretty impressed with how this little dongle can drive my HD800 just fine. On YouTube videos with Super X-Fi enabled it sounds a bit reverby to me compared to SBX on my X7, but music doesn't sound bad. I didn't have a chance to try out any games, but will tonight with some Warzone, and see how it compares to SBX.

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #46,455 of 48,566
Sorry for double posting, but this caught me attention. You play warzone on PS5 right? I am looking to buy a solution for that game specifically for now, so I am curious if you notice improvement going Toslink 5.1 vs USB 2.0 in warzone.

G6 B-stock is actually on sale right now, its incredibly cheap. I think I will have to go for that one (kind of afraid of all the bugs people online are having though).
I actually play on PC. I was playing on PS5 for testing only. If you have the G6, I'd greatly say do that over Tempest 3D in general. Tempest 3D is nice, but def not as nice as SBX. Go optical when you can if you want the better experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back