Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jan 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,231 of 1,852
Custom iems. They are not comfortable and do not "disappear" into my ears. It feels like somebody clogged my ears with a caulking gun...

Sounds like you need to get them refitted.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #1,232 of 1,852
Quote:
Sounds like you need to get them refitted.

I may take them to an audiologist and try to have them buffed down a bit, but I'm not going to do a refit - it takes too much time, shipping is too expensive, and the refit period is over. I don't have any pain, it just makes my ear canals feel like there's a change in air pressure, like during the ascent of descent or a plane...

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #1,233 of 1,852
 I know the k701 phone does get a lot of bad rap.But they are demanding headphones to drive and they take more time to break in than any headphone that I have used.But at present it is the oldest phone that I have in my stable.But when you do find the right balance of amplifier and dac along with the right combination of ancillaries like fuses and power cables they are actually quite competent.I have audeze lcd2 v2s and I have to say in the soundstaging categories the k701 beats my lcd2s hands down.They have a much better developed soundstage than my lcd2s.They are also more neutrally balanced than the lcd2s which do sound similar with a lot of amps.The akgs do not have this trait and can sound a lot different from amp to amp.The 701s are hungry and require an amp with healthy drive capability.
 I still love my lcd2s they have the best bass of any headphone that I have owned.They rarely sound anything less than beautiful sounding on most amps.But I still appreciate the k701 for its strengths which are numerous.Of the phones I have it is the most revealing  when it comes to hearing the original recording space that the recording was made in.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #1,234 of 1,852
Marshall Majors....biggest waste of 80 bucks...thankfully it turned me into an educated consumer who does his due diligence...the Sony IEM's that I got because of this forum are heads and shoulders better than anything I had before, even got a set of AKG's that I use in my messenger bag, best comapct phones for on the go....next up is full sized cans.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,235 of 1,852
JH16 pro, nice bass, but too sparkly treble, cymbals just sounded too sparkly, not well defined (not sure how to describe it but cymbals should have a metallic shimmer to it) which bothered me alot (Cld not sleep). Changed to JH13 and loved it :D

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,238 of 1,852
The only headphones I've regretted buying were the Sony MDR 7506 pro. Not because they didn't sound good, but I had only had them for about 6 months when the right channel just died on me. I had the regular 7506 before them and had them for YEARS without any issues. Eventually the pads started to flake on them and they had just gotten old, so I replaced them with the MDR 7506 pro's. After only 6 months having the right channel stop working was extremely disappointing. That is the point where I really started looking more into headphones, and eventually ended up with the M50's. Now I have the a900x's which I'm very happy with (I tend to be pretty loyal to brands when I find something I like).

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #1,240 of 1,852
Thankfully, I haven't made any big purchase mistakes on headphones so far.
I'd have to say my Yamaha hph-200's. Not too comfortable and better choices for the money.
If this thread were about headphone amps, it would be a different story for me.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #1,242 of 1,852
Philips CitiScape Uptown
Sennheiser PC360
Ultrasone PRO 900

actually... All the Ultrasones I've bought (3)
mad.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,243 of 1,852
I really regret buying the PRO900, not only because my pair was defective and a major headache, but they were cheap and nasty feeling. The build quality, for a $300 headphone, made me want to gag.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,244 of 1,852
Quote:
I really regret buying the PRO900, not only because my pair was defective and a major headache, but they were cheap and nasty feeling. The build quality, for a $300 headphone, made me want to gag.

Amen, and I feel they are really over-hyped for the price. When I first started being interested in audiophile headphones, I was somewhat of a basshead. After much research and Q&As, I decided on the PRO 900s. One of the worst headphone I have ever heard, at any price. I wanted to like them, but they were just way to uncomfortable, build was poor, and just too damn sibilant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back