Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jun 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #646 of 1,852
Sony MDR-V700 several years ago.  Bought them on a semi-whim at Best Buy.  Paid way too much for way too little.  My definition of a successful headphone is one that makes your music collection come alive.  You want to hear how all your old music sounds on them.  These didn't do that at all.  I bought a headphone amp within the last year.  One of these days, I might see if they sound any better amp'd. 

Jun 12, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #647 of 1,852
Don't really regret any purchase. Only time I recall is when I bought the Skullcandy Lowriders when I was in high school. I assumed they would be bass monsters like their earbuds. Not only did they lack in detail, but the bass was significantly rolled off. I basically got the worst of both worlds.

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #649 of 1,852
Numark Redwave ... ugly as sin and sounds as bad as it looks. A $99 headphone shouldn't sound this muffled. Luckily I sold it and got some of my money back.

Kicker HP541 - Worst sounding headphone I've heard in a very long time. The reviews of this thing claim "clear sound". Sounds more like listening to an HD-650 with cotton stuffed in my ears.
I will say it did have quite a lot of bass. I guess that's what people like. I don't think I'm too hard on this headphone. It's really that bad to my ears. Sound clarity would probably be a 5/10.

Shure SRH-750DJ -

You should have seen my reaction when I first listened to this! Basically take my least favorite signature and this has it.
I guess the reaction wasn't as bad as when I first heard my new Denon D1100, but close! I think I shouted something obscene when I first heard the D1100.

Sometimes my biggest regrets are going back and worth between headphones too much. I've switched between the HD-600, HD-650 and K702/K601 more times than I want to remember.
9/10 times if I don't love a headphone out of the box, my opinion doesn't change. The only exception is the KRK KNS-8400 with it's icicle in the ear treble out of the box. It goes away!

Strangely I absolutely don't regret my purchase of my old Bose Triport AE1 (in 2003?).. I loved those things to death...seriously!
normal_smile%20.gif

Now..I wonder if I'll hate them now..back then I had nothing to compare them with...I went from some $10 headphones to those.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #650 of 1,852
Bose QC3 - Expensive junk. Didn't work without noise canceling activated, and the battery was often did when sitting for a time. Worse, than the QC2 which were also junk when compared to headfi quality. 

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #653 of 1,852
My M50s ... I don't regret buying them. I was just looking for something more portable (found the K 518s). They're too bulky and the pads make you sweat. For non-portable use, they have amazing sound and are pretty much perfect.

Jun 12, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #654 of 1,852
drained not did in prev. post

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #655 of 1,852
Sennheiser PX200
AKG K26P
Beyer DT 531

I've bought quite a few headphones which disappointed me, but I'm fortunate to deal with a terrific merchant who
allows returns.

My most recent disappointment: Shure SRH 940. 
Very good headphones, but I was expecting something very special and didn't get it.
I own the 840 and like them better. 

A couple of other notable disappointments: Sony MDR 7509HD (odd sounding); Beyer DT 770 (too bass heavy for my taste).

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #657 of 1,852
Triports are awesome man, I loved the Triport OE to death. I upgraded to them from a Shure E2C, which I absolutely hated.

Your sound sig preference is definitely not for the bassy kind I guess, judging from what you posted below. I loved the 750DJ and the D1100, and yeah they are bassy. :)

Quote:
Numark Redwave ... ugly as sin and sounds as bad as it looks. A $99 headphone shouldn't sound this muffled. Luckily I sold it and got some of my money back.

Kicker HP541 - Worst sounding headphone I've heard in a very long time. The reviews of this thing claim "clear sound". Sounds more like listening to an HD-650 with cotton stuffed in my ears.
I will say it did have quite a lot of bass. I guess that's what people like. I don't think I'm too hard on this headphone. It's really that bad to my ears. Sound clarity would probably be a 5/10.

Shure SRH-750DJ -

You should have seen my reaction when I first listened to this! Basically take my least favorite signature and this has it.
I guess the reaction wasn't as bad as when I first heard my new Denon D1100, but close! I think I shouted something obscene when I first heard the D1100.

Sometimes my biggest regrets are going back and worth between headphones too much. I've switched between the HD-600, HD-650 and K702/K601 more times than I want to remember.
9/10 times if I don't love a headphone out of the box, my opinion doesn't change. The only exception is the KRK KNS-8400 with it's icicle in the ear treble out of the box. It goes away!

Strangely I absolutely don't regret my purchase of my old Bose Triport AE1 (in 2003?).. I loved those things to death...seriously!
normal_smile%20.gif

Now..I wonder if I'll hate them now..back then I had nothing to compare them with...I went from some $10 headphones to those.

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #659 of 1,852

Thanks! I forgot that posts are not like texts or emails and can be edited.

Quote:
There's a Edit button on left bottom side of your post that you can use to edit text.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back