Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jul 25, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #677 of 1,852
Sony xb700. My expectations and what I got where too far apart. I knew I was gonna sell them as soon as I heard them. Can't say that about any other.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #678 of 1,852
Hmm I suppose maybe my Shure 530s.  While they do sound great, it was unnecessary to carry headphones everywhere, they weren't the biggest improvement over my ES7s, and they allowed me to become fairly antisocial senior year of highschool.  The money I put towards those I could've put towards a full sized pair of cans

However I can't really say I regret them all that much, if at all.  They've proved themselves for over 2 years

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #679 of 1,852
HE-5LE... just didn't sound right from the beginning, replaced with the W5000 and haven't looked back since!

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #680 of 1,852
Sennheisers PC350 until I found out about the mod =)

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #681 of 1,852

Quote:
HE-5LE... just didn't sound right from the beginning, replaced with the W5000 and haven't looked back since!

Really? That's interesting.

I never heard the HE5LE but I have heard the HE5 and I have also heard the HE6, and I think both sound significantly better than the W5000.  Are you listening to classical primarily?

Jul 28, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #682 of 1,852
well sounding better and being better for genres of music is apples and oranges i think...

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #683 of 1,852
Sennheiser 515HD

My first foray into headphones from the ibuds - having nothing to compare it to at the time it still failed to provide any sonic bliss even when amped with my Auzentech and Counterpoint amplifier. I've been hesitant to buy a Sennheiser since after experiencing the infamous 'veil' with the 515HD's - they sounded muddy and distant, build quality was also questionable with the rapid scuffing on the ear-cups.

These are quite common on the street in Melbourne, some other post remarked that this city loves Sennheiser and I'd agree wholeheartedly they're available at all major electronic good stores for $150AUD. Funny that when I sourced my SR80i's for $138AUD from a small boutique, I finally realized what I'd meaning to achieve in the first place.

Thankfully I found a work colleague who was happy to pay $70AUD to curb her husbands habit of loud late night TV.

To a much lesser extent - my AT-M50's. They're a great rugged all round headphone that do no wrong but I find that their clarity and detail pales in comparison to my SR80i's on the go. The M50's get preference for when I'm in a noisy environment or for walks when the weather looks a little nasty (they can cope with a little drizzle). Once inside the house though, they are all but forgotten.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #684 of 1,852
Bose-on Ears. My 1st pair went bad due to a cable break. I paid the $70.00 to get a new pair and then I side went dead. I will now recable them but gosh!

very_evil_smiley.gif
Bose
very_evil_smiley.gif
is evil incarnate

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #685 of 1,852

Quote:
Sennheiser 515HD

My first foray into headphones from the ibuds - having nothing to compare it to at the time it still failed to provide any sonic bliss even when amped with my Auzentech and Counterpoint amplifier. I've been hesitant to buy a Sennheiser since after experiencing the infamous 'veil' with the 515HD's - they sounded muddy and distant, build quality was also questionable with the rapid scuffing on the ear-cups.

These are quite common on the street in Melbourne, some other post remarked that this city loves Sennheiser and I'd agree wholeheartedly they're available at all major electronic good stores for $150AUD. Funny that when I sourced my SR80i's for $138AUD from a small boutique, I finally realized what I'd meaning to achieve in the first place.

Thankfully I found a work colleague who was happy to pay $70AUD to curb her husbands habit of loud late night TV.

To a much lesser extent - my AT-M50's. They're a great rugged all round headphone that do no wrong but I find that their clarity and detail pales in comparison to my SR80i's on the go. The M50's get preference for when I'm in a noisy environment or for walks when the weather looks a little nasty (they can cope with a little drizzle). Once inside the house though, they are all but forgotten.

The HD515 is one of the most veiled Sennheisers in existence. If you like the SR80, you will probably like the HD580/HD600 (but definitely not the HD650). I upgraded just recently to the HD580 from the SR60.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #686 of 1,852
-@calipilot227

I've briefly had a stint with a pair of HD600's and HD650's, I found them to be a world away from the 515HD's.
All my phones would be considered to be in the 'bright' category of headphones so I'm currently tossing up between the
HD650 and LCD2 to introduce a darker balance into the collection that can also provide a decent amount of low end bass.

Amazed that the K601's have not received more of a thrashing on here, they're the black sheep of the AKG family.
I like them a lot for material like Enya and Sigur Ros, anything energetic though and they tend to fall over.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #687 of 1,852
Well, can't really say I regretted anything (even though I did), because everything teaches me a lesson.
But, I will mention my 5 most disappointing headphones, in no specific order:

- Grado RS1i
- Sony Z1000
- Beyerdynamic DT990
- Audio Technica MK2
- Ultrasone Zino

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #689 of 1,852

Quote:
Well, can't really say I regretted anything (even though I did), because everything teaches me a lesson.
But, I will mention my 5 most disappointing headphones, in no specific order:

- Grado RS1i
- Sony Z1000
- Beyerdynamic DT990
- Audio Technica MK2
- Ultrasone Zino

What was disappointing about the RS1is?  Do you dislike Grados in general?

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #690 of 1,852
Beats by Dr .Dre.... The Solo HD and Studio version... I only use the red cable that I ordered after selling the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back