Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jun 9, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #634 of 1,852
ONTOs definitely. I bought them at first because they were cheap and, according to some Head-Fiers, are very value for money. It was the worst piece of junk I have ever owned, even my "Extra bass" Sony earbuds performed better at half the price.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #635 of 1,852
I regret picking up my Solo Beats, and SkullCandy Hesh. At the time I knew absolutely nothing about headphones, so I bought these because I thought they looked cool, and I saw everyone else wearing them. My SkullCandies are still lying around the house somewhere unused, and I sold my Solo Beats to pay for a pair of Sennheiser HD 428's, which I'm using currently. Even though the bass is almost non-existant compared to the Beats, they're still exponentially better, I just wish I had known this sooner. 

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #636 of 1,852
Philips SHE9500. Bought them when they were just released, at full retail. That was a pretty big expense for me at the time. The SQ was decent, but it never sounded 'right' to me. But the little extension cord that came with them, I still use that on a regular basis...

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #637 of 1,852
Marshall Majors.  Technically I got them as a present.  Was looking to replace a 10+ year old pair of senn HD570's, so those made the list as the new cool phones to try out at the time (I should have done some research).  Rarely ever used them, and ended up just replacing them with better options.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #638 of 1,852

Quote:
Marshall Majors.  Technically I got them as a present.  Was looking to replace a 10+ year old pair of senn HD570's, so those made the list as the new cool phones to try out at the time (I should have done some research).  Rarely ever used them, and ended up just replacing them with better options.

Me too :)

I got 'swindled' into buying these when my guitarist friend said they were good. I bought them, hated them (bass too loose and average detail pickup) and eventually sold them off after 3 weeks.

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #639 of 1,852
I don't have that much high end audio, just the HD600, M50, and Klipsch S4, all of which I'm happy with. It's just those cheap headphones and earbuds that I regret.

For example, I got the matix domepiece headphones a few months ago, just because I thought they looked super cool..... total waste of $30. I can't imagine anyone ever listening to music through them.

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #641 of 1,852
Jun 12, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #642 of 1,852
Fair enough rhythmdevils. 

Quote:
HD555

@Mochan-You never said if you bought them from Smeggy.  Some folks have been selling knockoffs using his name.  Oddly they were described the same way you have.

These were definitely bought from Smeggy.  They do look like his work, the wires and styling are consistent, but who knows, maybe we were duped because we never met the seller face to face. Still, those pants were just not up to pat, perhaps there was a mistake in their making, but we got two of them and they both had the same problems. I think our friend who did the purchase, Sherwin O, is returning them to Smeggy either for adjustment or for reimbursement.

They seriously were not staying. Thankfully, I now have my LCD2's and they are exactly as I wanted them.

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #643 of 1,852
Some vintage ones I don't regret as they are nice collectors things but in reality have just sat in my cupboard since being bought - AKG K140 600ohm, AKG K270 Playback, Jecklin Float Model 2... none of them really bad but just don't stand up to the test of time...

EDIT: You know what, having said that, I just dusted off the K140 600ohm and am having a listen with Yamaha HP50-S pads on right now... these are a lot better than I remembered. They need some serious juice and are quite dark but very smooth, mellow and weighty sound. Almost orthodynamic in some. Not bad at all for their age...

Jun 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #644 of 1,852
B&W p5's.  Not because they are bad or anything, just that I don't use them as much as I'd like too to justify them.   Do most of my listening during my working day where the isolation isn't good enough, and use speakers at home.  Bought them on impulse more than anything...

Jun 12, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #645 of 1,852
P5 are one of those ones I just really wish I liked the sound of, they are so amazingly well designed and B&W being British and all.

With B&W's calibre I hope they don't give up on the headphone game but come out with something with a bit more in common with their speaker's SQ in future - with the same great attention to looks and build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back