Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 7, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #3,646 of 4,994
  Thanks for correcting me, fleasbaby.  Didn't think about heating it, just knew the plastic had a memory.  Nothing speaks louder than experience.

When purchased as a replacement part for about $20 this is an excellent and cost-effective option.

Also you get that all important "Studio Monitor" designation on the headband which of course would immediately make the headphones sound better.  
cool.gif
  This term is almost as overused as "Tactical".   Maybe I'll get a custom headband made that says "Tactical Studio Monitor". 

*chuckle* Experience, yes...as in "loads of good headphones ruined while I experiment to my heart's content"
biggrin.gif

The MDR7502 doesn't have any writing on its headband btw.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #3,647 of 4,994

Thanks for correcting me, fleasbaby.  Didn't think about heating it, just knew the plastic had a memory.  Nothing speaks louder than experience.

When purchased as a replacement part for about $20 this is an excellent and cost-effective option.

Also you get that all important "Studio Monitor" designation on the headband which of course would immediately make the headphones sound better.  
cool.gif
  This term is almost as overused as "Tactical".   Maybe I'll get a custom headband made that says "Tactical Studio Monitor". 

*chuckle* Experience, yes...as in "loads of good headphones ruined while I experiment to my heart's content"
biggrin.gif

The MDR7502 doesn't have any writing on its headband btw.

It's the 7506 that has the writing on the headband.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #3,648 of 4,994
My apology, correction of typo to Post # 3642 which originally read:

"Sony MDR-V6 and Sony MDR-7506 share the same physical dimensions.  The MDR-7502 / MDR-V6 measures 2" (50.8 mm) in between the pins that insert into the cups.  The internal radius of the half-ring, within which the cup is mounted, measures 2-3/8" (60.325 mm). The ring and pins are moulded plastic.  The pins could be filed off slightly, but the plastic cannot be bent to shape, as t returns to its original shape.  So you would need to measure the cup carefully to make sure this headband would work, or have the cups machined to fit these dimensions".

Both references should have said MDR-7506.  These dimensions are are what I measured for the MDR-7506.  A "tactical" error, lol.

Sorry for the confusion.

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #3,651 of 4,994
  Thanks buddy ... I've already got gimbals, rods and a leather outer. The only thing I need is the metal inner strip. I've got some fairly new SR80i;s, it seems a bit brutal to take a healthy pair of cans apart just for that one piece. I guess I need to hold out for some trashed SR60's on eBay.

watching this video https://vimeo.com/49894815 for turbulent labs grado style leather headband installation video you can see the metal strip underneath the grado headband once it is removed at approximately 1:27 and it's just a simple rather thin looking band which might be found in many other alternate less expensive headphones some which have been suggested in this forum i.e.

Vivitar DJ mixers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIZ88GC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00NIZAUK4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SCSVDSDB6MB4NDA1KMQ

WeSC Banjar http://www.ebay.com/itm/WeSC-Banjar-On-Ear-Headphones-BLACK-Compact-Folding-Design-NEW-IN-BOX-/161691799746?hash=item25a59510c2:g:w9YAAOSwymxVQ-XV

WeSC Unisex Matte Conga http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFON07G/ref=psdc_172541_t3_B00BQ16RCM

and Sound Intone HD850 http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Intone-HD850-Lightweight-Stretchable/dp/B00ZK7M628/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446910048&sr=1-7&keywords=Sound+Intone+HD850+On-Ear+Lightweight+Stereo+Headphones+black

whether or not these headphones use the same metal strip under the headband as Grado is purely speculation atm though it would appear as if it's likely.

i also found this from an older forum http://www.head-fi.org/t/584891/need-help-finding-grado-replacement-headbandand on post #4 where a user named Questhate suggests "If you need one from a different headphone, I'm using the headband from a Sony MDR-V150 and it fits perfectly if you file the pegs down a bit"  but, looking at the headband design http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studio-DJ-Earphone-Audio-Monitor-Headphone-Over-Ear-HOT-For-Sony-MDR-V150-/291300451683?var=&hash=item43d2dc2563:m:m-89y3tseq5QIkIg72dF6yg&rmvSB=true i'm not sure if there is a metal band underneath the plastic (or metal pegs protruding from the ends of the plastic headband once torn down) or exactly what he was suggesting, but i figured i'd share it here in case anyone else on this forum has any experience with them and can add any suggestions.

Nov 8, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #3,652 of 4,994
i've been playing with some of these alternatives to grado parts

first is my heavy metal rig, has v6 drivers in it (for now)
stainless gimbles from ebay seller  rholupat09
px100 pads with earzonk l-cush on top wicked comfortable, a bit heavy

this is the sony mdr-v150, fit is not bad, comfort is ok not great 10 bucks used on ebay

lastly these came off of a wesc banjar i believe, similar to the vivitar and can be found for 10-15 bucks
comfort is not bad and makes for a pretty cool portable

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #3,653 of 4,994
Nice.

Are you using inserts or did you fit the V6's directly to SR325 cups somehow?

Quote:
  i've been playing with some of these alternatives to grado parts

first is my heavy metal rig, has v6 drivers in it (for now)
stainless gimbles from ebay seller  rholupat09
px100 pads with earzonk l-cush on top wicked comfortable, a bit heavy

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #3,655 of 4,994
A quick remembrance of what the Sunflower pads were intended to be*:

(I never heard the difference the quarter mod is supposed to make, so I don't do it.)

*HD414 + extensive tape mod seemlessly covering the sides and the rear of the pad. The tape strips are overlaid perpendicularly (in a “radial” pattern) much like flower petals, which inspired the name.

This rather complex arrangement will give the HD414's 2 to 2.5 the bass benefits the original tape mod gave the bowl pads. I have a subjective impression that the resolution are increased just as much, but I was always on my own arguing that about the original tape mod.

I chose the HD414 base pads for their transparency over all the dual-density (non-comfies) Grado pads; they are also “volume-equal”, that is to say the sound quality and signature stays the same throughout the whole volume range. I always found Grado pads to sound muffled (lacking in details and highs) on low volumes, causing me to listen to music louder than was required for enjoyment.

Leather and pads in general have always been the weakest link in any headphone. A few small companies (I forgot) have attempted to commercialize “leatherized” Grado pads before and failed: reviews were unequivocally bad. Leather is the skin of an animal, it has no inherent acoustic properties going for it. Foam on the other hand is constituted 99% of air by volume, hence it can be transparent.

Maybe a little too transparent. My conclusion was that a less permeable material is required to transmit lowbass to the outer ear. It simply cannot travel the empty distance between the driver.

Scotch tape has a similar compliance to the mylar of the diaphragm, stiff and mechanically inert. It conduces more sound to your ear, not less (unlike leather, which might absorb part of the spectrum).

joeq70, although I am thankful you tried and reviewed my mod (“a tad too much bass”), your recent comment about it is rather shallow (focusing on things like appearance) and subjective; my own Sunflowers are just as comfortable as the HD414's and tape microphonics-free. How much pressure is your headband set to exert? That could explain the divergence between our impressions: I personally keep it to a minimum, making up for less bass (which my mod affords) and more soundstage.

*Please forget about the above paragraph if you were not referring to my mod in the first place. I do think I am the one who came up with “Sunflower pads” name first though, hehe

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #3,656 of 4,994
A quick remembrance of what the Sunflower pads were intended to be*:

(I never heard the difference the quarter mod is supposed to make, so I don't do it.)

*HD414 + extensive tape mod seemlessly covering the sides and the rear of the pad. The tape strips are overlaid perpendicularly (in a “radial” pattern) much like flower petals, which inspired the name.

This rather complex arrangement will give the HD414's 2 to 2.5 the bass benefits the original tape mod gave the bowl pads. I have a subjective impression that the details are increased just as much, but I was always alone arguing that about the original tape mod.

I chose the HD414 base pads for their transparency over all the dual-density (non-comfies) Grado pads; they are also “volume-equal”, that is to say the sound quality and signature stays the same throughout the whole volume range. I always found Grado pads to sound muffled (lacking in details and highs) on low volumes, causing me to listen to music louder than was required for enjoyment.

Leather and pads in general have always been the weakest link in any headphone. A few small companies (I forgot) have attempted to commercialize “leatherized” Grado pads before and failed: reviews were unequivocally bad. Leather is the skin of an animal, it has no inherent acoustic properties going for it. Foam on the other hand is constituted 99% of air by volume, hence it can be transparent.

Maybe a little too transparent. My conclusion was that a less permeable material is required to transmit lowbass to the outer ear. It simply cannot travel the empty distance between the driver.

Scotch tape has a similar compliance to the mylar of the diaphragm, stiff and mechanically inert. It conduces more sound to your ear, not less (unlike leather, which might absorb part of the spectrum).

Joeq, although I am thankful you tried and reviewed my mod (“a tad too much bass”), your recent comment about it is rather shallow (focusing on things like appearance) and subjective; my own Sunflowers are just as comfortable as the HD414's and tape microphonics-free.
@dv1-3, good to see you post on this thread again, I've enjoyed your many post on all things Grado and magnum from the last few years, thanks for that.
I believe what joeq70 refers to as the sunflower mod only shares the same name and the senn 414 pads as your mod. Everything else is different, totally different mod. He mentioned ithere and where he got it from.

Nov 9, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #3,657 of 4,994
  Thanks for info, fleasbaby.  Nothing speaks louder than experience. Didn't think about heating it, just knew the plastic had a memory.  I assume the 7502 and 7506 are same material and could be heated to modify slightly.

When purchased as a replacement part for about $20 the MDR-7506 is an excellent and cost-effective option.

cool.gif
tongue.gif

syn,

i've just begun to think about customizing my headband too on my incoming magnum v6.
the mdr7506 look like a fine option. $14 on ebay.

but do you have a sense of what other options are out there?
or anyone else for that matter?

also, will i need to wait for the symphones cups before i truly know if they're going to fit?

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #3,658 of 4,994
See Post 3651 on page 231, scan down to Headband Assembly.  These are the headband options I am aware of.   I've been summarizing the various member's responses to my original post, and any other information relevant to my post I have seen since then.   

The dimensions for the 3D cup in the drawing that Rhydon is doing, to be submitted to shapeways.com, has not yet been released yet (should be any time now) and will give the specific dimensions for that cup. It can then be compared to the dimensions measured for the MDR-7506 headband.  

I would imagine that the 3D cup will have the Grado spacing that is commonly used, and the MDR-7506 headband has been successfully used by many for that purpose (sometimes with a little finagling), so it would surprise me if if the 7506 doesn't fit the 3d cup.  The cost of the 7506 headband, its durability, comfort, and availability makes it a pretty attractive option assuming you like the visual aesthetic.

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #3,659 of 4,994
Quote:
  syn,

i've just begun to think about customizing my headband too on my incoming magnum v6.
the mdr7506 look like a fine option. $14 on ebay.

but do you have a sense of what other options are out there?
or anyone else for that matter?

also, will i need to wait for the symphones cups before i truly know if they're going to fit?

here are a few other possible choices mentioned earlier in post #3651 all of which should all fit the Grado cup style for around $20 or less.
for the record i didn't discover most of these myself, though read about them from other Head Fi members in this forum and thought it would be good to make a list,
- anyone who knows of other options please feel free to add to the collection.

Vivitar DJ mixers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIZ88GC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00NIZAUK4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SCSVDSDB6MB4NDA1KMQ

WeSC Banjar http://www.ebay.com/itm/WeSC-Banjar-On-Ear-Headphones-BLACK-Compact-Folding-Design-NEW-IN-BOX-/161691799746?hash=item25a59510c2:g:w9YAAOSwymxVQ-XV

WeSC Unisex Matte Conga http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFON07G/ref=psdc_172541_t3_B00BQ16RCM

Sound Intone HD850 http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Intone-HD850-Lightweight-Stretchable/dp/B00ZK7M628/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446910048&sr=1-7&keywords=Sound+Intone+HD850+On-Ear+Lightweight+Stereo+Headphones+black

Granvela imbson A802 http://www.amazon.com/Granvela-A802-Headphone-Handsfree-Headphones/dp/B00LN1F5LY/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447143938&sr=1-9&keywords=Granvela+imbson+A802

also these (below) have been suggested and look great, though cost over twice as much at $49 and there is no guarantee (yet at least) that they fit the Grado style cups though it seems they should and could be modded to without too much difficulty.

Symphonized Wraitth 2.0 http://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-Wraith-Premium-Genuine-Headphones/dp/B00ZGNX8XC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Hx0Qw9ZEL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR123%2C160_&refRID=0N6HQQPMC2K35AM5HE3A

Symphonized Wraith 1.0 http://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-Wraith-Premium-Genuine-Headphones/dp/B00LFVSKRS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41oeg%2BLqRoL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR148%2C160_&refRID=0N6HQQPMC2K35AM5HE3A

the aluminum bands/gimbals which hold their cups in place look fairly flexible and easy enough to set at the right distance  but i'm not sure the pins which connect the gimbals to the Symphonized cups would fit into the hole on either side of Grado styled cups. also it doesn't appear that they are fused to the gimbals themselves, they may fall loose once the gimbals and cups are separated ? (i'm not sure) .  if so there should be a way to solder or rivet it back to the aluminum gimbal arm, if need be

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #3,660 of 4,994

Symphonized Wraith 1.0 http://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-Wraith-Premium-Genuine-Headphones/dp/B00LFVSKRS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41oeg%2BLqRoL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR148%2C160_&refRID=0N6HQQPMC2K35AM5HE3A

the aluminum bands/gimbals which hold their cups in place look fairly flexible and easy enough to set at the right distance  but i'm not sure the pins which connect the gimbals to the Symphonized cups would fit into the hole on either side of Grado styled cups. also it doesn't appear that they are fused to the gimbals themselves, they may fall loose once the gimbals and cups are separated ? (i'm not sure) .  if so there should be a way to solder or rivet it back to the aluminum gimbal arm, if need be

I love the look of the Symphonized Wrath and would use it if it fit and I could find it on sale.
Someone needs to buy one and try it out. Take a hit for the team. 

Overall I like the Sony 7506 the most as it's higher in quality and gives the headphone a better look than the rest of the low cost solutions. IMO

Where on ebay can you find the Sony 7506 for $14?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back