Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 10, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #3,661 of 4,994
  Quote:

here are a few other possible choices mentioned earlier in post #3651 all of which should all fit the Grado cup style for around $20 or less.
for the record i didn't discover most of these myself, though read about them from other Head Fi members in this forum and thought it would be good to make a list,
- anyone who knows of other options please feel free to add to the collection.

Vivitar DJ mixers http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIZ88GC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687682&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00NIZAUK4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SCSVDSDB6MB4NDA1KMQ

WeSC Banjar http://www.ebay.com/itm/WeSC-Banjar-On-Ear-Headphones-BLACK-Compact-Folding-Design-NEW-IN-BOX-/161691799746?hash=item25a59510c2:g:w9YAAOSwymxVQ-XV

WeSC Unisex Matte Conga http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFON07G/ref=psdc_172541_t3_B00BQ16RCM

Sound Intone HD850 http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Intone-HD850-Lightweight-Stretchable/dp/B00ZK7M628/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446910048&sr=1-7&keywords=Sound+Intone+HD850+On-Ear+Lightweight+Stereo+Headphones+black

Granvela imbson A802 http://www.amazon.com/Granvela-A802-Headphone-Handsfree-Headphones/dp/B00LN1F5LY/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1447143938&sr=1-9&keywords=Granvela+imbson+A802

also these (below) have been suggested and look great, though cost over twice as much at $49 and there is no guarantee (yet at least) that they fit the Grado style cups though it seems they should and could be modded to without too much difficulty.

Symphonized Wraitth 2.0 http://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-Wraith-Premium-Genuine-Headphones/dp/B00ZGNX8XC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Hx0Qw9ZEL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR123%2C160_&refRID=0N6HQQPMC2K35AM5HE3A

Symphonized Wraith 1.0 http://www.amazon.com/Symphonized-Wraith-Premium-Genuine-Headphones/dp/B00LFVSKRS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41oeg%2BLqRoL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR148%2C160_&refRID=0N6HQQPMC2K35AM5HE3A

the aluminum bands/gimbals which hold their cups in place look fairly flexible and easy enough to set at the right distance  but i'm not sure the pins which connect the gimbals to the Symphonized cups would fit into the hole on either side of Grado styled cups. also it doesn't appear that they are fused to the gimbals themselves, they may fall loose once the gimbals and cups are separated ? (i'm not sure) .  if so there should be a way to solder or rivet it back to the aluminum gimbal arm, if need be

xylin6, thanks for the work in providing this list!  I updated my Post 3452 to include your list, except for the Symphonized headphone, until we can verify whether it fits.  I sent a PM to the member who wrote the review for Symphonized headphone here on Head-Fi to see what he might be able to tell us, and will report back if I hear from him.  

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,662 of 4,994

I love the look of the Symphonized Wrath and would use it if it fit and I could find it on sale.
Someone needs to buy one and try it out. Take a hit for the team. 

Overall I like the Sony 7506 the most as it's higher in quality and gives the headphone a better look than the rest of the low cost solutions. IMO

Where on ebay can you find the Sony 7506 for $14?

more like $17
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-head-band-parts-cushion-for-Sony-MDR-7506-MDR-V6-V7-MDR7506-Headphones-/171323248285

in any case, i'm becoming more and more confused around why i actually bought a sr-60i. seems like it was unnecessary to begin with.
i had this impression that i had to buy a set of grados at the very least in order for this all to come together.

magnum v6, magnum cups, l-pads, 414 pads, sr60i headphone
potentially: 7506 headband, cables

if i bought, the 7506 for example, that seemingly leaves only the gimbal and cable from the sr60i that i'd use.
or am i underestimating how many more pieces i'd need to buy if i purchased the 7506?

again, beginners impression here:
re: the the sr60i cable...
does labor process involves detaching the cable from the grado housing and affixing it to the incoming parts i'm ordering?
or would i need to purchase new cable at that point?

i have no idea if i'm overthinking this!

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #3,663 of 4,994

I love the look of the Symphonized Wrath and would use it if it fit and I could find it on sale.
Someone needs to buy one and try it out. Take a hit for the team. 

Overall I like the Sony 7506 the most as it's higher in quality and gives the headphone a better look than the rest of the low cost solutions. IMO

Where on ebay can you find the Sony 7506 for $14?

more like $17
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headband-head-band-parts-cushion-for-Sony-MDR-7506-MDR-V6-V7-MDR7506-Headphones-/171323248285

There's nothing on the end of that Sony 7506 headband to attach to the cups.

This one is the way to go
http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

This

Not this

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #3,664 of 4,994

triportsad.gif

yeah don't buy those

after trying most of these the 7506 is most comfortable
had to stretch it out a bit for my fat head but i believe its most comfortable
and cost effective art about $30 shipped (lemme know if there's a cheaper source)

anyone try this? it looks similar

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-TH-TH-MX2-Studio-Headphones/dp/B00GBATPIG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447185227&sr=8-2&keywords=tascam+headphones

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #3,666 of 4,994
Those look nice and free shipping. 

The one thing that bugged about the 7506 band was that it creaked sometimes...I still stand by the 7502, but only because I can turn my cups to fit it...

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #3,667 of 4,994

more like $17

in any case, i'm becoming more and more confused around why i actually bought a sr-60i. seems like it was unnecessary to begin with.
i had this impression that i had to buy a set of grados at the very least in order for this all to come together.

magnum v6, magnum cups, l-pads, 414 pads, sr60i headphone
potentially: 7506 headband, cables

if i bought, the 7506 for example, that seemingly leaves only the gimbal and cable from the sr60i that i'd use.
or am i underestimating how many more pieces i'd need to buy if i purchased the 7506?

again, beginners impression here:
re: the the sr60i cable...
does labor process involves detaching the cable from the grado housing and affixing it to the incoming parts i'm ordering?
or would i need to purchase new cable at that point?

i have no idea if i'm overthinking this!

The reason most people use the SR60i is because they are the least expensive of all the various models Grado makes and Grado has (intentional or not) designed a headphone that is generally far easier to modify than most other headphones. you can do a couple things with this build once you have the SR60i as a starting point.

you can use the headband assembly (and the original Grado cable if you want) saving you the extra money of purchasing a separate third party cable) or choose to just use the headband assembly by which i mean the headband, rods and rod blocks (the black plastic pieces with the L for left and R for right) and the gimbals (the horsehoe/upside down U shaped part which holds the cups in place) as you see pictured below .

as for removing the cups and cable (as they are one piece attached to each other) there are some tutorials online but i find this video effectively demonstrates how to remove the cups from the headphone assembly. a word of caution first - turn the volume down its kind of loud and its just a song in the background,no actual spoken instruction though there are text instructions on screen.

now you can (or have someone else) remove the cable wiring from the Grado drivers then solder the Grado cable on to your Magnum V6 drivers and put them in whichever cups you purchased (woodies or 3d for example) and once thats finished they will pop right back into the Grado headphone assembly.

or you may decide to use a different headphone assembly altogether (possibly from some of those mentioned in the recent posts here) and just use the Grado for its cord or you could alternately not use any part of the Grado headphone and order a cable elsewhere like this one I ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-Headphone-Cable-Upgrade-Canare-Cable-Wrap-Neutrik-Cardas-6ft-10ft-15ft-/121548401848?var=&hash=item1c4cd96cb8:m:md0GgSgCV6cUvR-hKX2MWCg

it really all comes down to what you want to do,and any parts you have left over can always be used for other builds,so even if you don't use the Grado SR60i you purchased recently it's not a waste of money by any means as you can use it to make (just for example) a pair of SennGrados or any other mod you decide looks fun to build.

Edit:In this video they are removing the SR60i driver from the original Grado cup and putting it into a pair of Wooden Vibro cups.you wont have to remove the SR60i driver,only un-solder the cable wiring from the SR60i driver ( if you haven't done this before get someone else with experience to remove the wires for you as you don't want to ruin the SR60i's drivers by holding a soldering iron on the contact pad for too long as there is a tiny wire under it which connects to the voice coil and which if overheated will fry that wire effectively rendering your SR60i drivers dead - and who knows you may want to use the SR60i drivers in a different mod later on

if you do decide you want to use the SR60i drivers and put them in a different cup (at a later date) then the method for removal shown in this video is useful,but if you are just using the SR60i cable and not the drivers then you don't need to cut through the driver housing as you'll be leaving the SR60i driver in the original cups at least for now.

over all the best thing to do is figure out your budget and figure out what parts you want to use for this mod and then stick with that basic concept for the time being.later on you can always re configure your mod(s) of course.  for example i decided to go with the Grado SR60i headband assembly, a pair of Turbulent  batch 004 striped rosewood cups,the Symphones Magnum V6 drivers and Canare cable wrap Neutrik Cardas 6' cord ordered from the link i listed earlier. all of this fit into my meager budget of $250 (as I already had a pair of SR60i which i bought back in 2009). and for the price i think i'm going to end with a really quality pair of cans plus the experience of my first mod.  I might change the headband assembly sometime in the future and pop the SR60i cups and cable back into their original frame.but for now that's what I'm using for this build. 

i can understand why you wonder if you're overthinking it as i've felt the same myself, it's hard not to feel a bit overwhelmed at times with all the options available.i think its like finishing a song, a story or a painting.at one point you just have to stop and say 'okay it's finished' and move on to your next project.it's frustrating at times for sure,but it will be worth it when all the parts arrive and these headphones are finally built (i hope) it better be
beyersmile.png
. (It will be)

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #3,668 of 4,994
Lotsa goodies arrived....

The Alessandro MS1's I ordered on 11/5 to use as donor headphones were received 11/9.  They come in a Grado box, packaging with a separate label affixed which identifies it as an Alessandro MS1, and include a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. Before I ordered, I verified with Alessandro that these MS1 incorporated the latest e-series features. I had planned to use the headband, gimbals, and cord from these.  However, the cord has a flange on it which interferes with my iPhone case.   So at this point, I think I will just detach the cup/driver/cord from the headband/gimbal assembly and make them available to raise money for veterans as discussed earlier.  These MS1 headphones, even without break in are impressive.  I listened for about two hours last night, comparing them with a pair of Audio Technica ATH-R70X as I went.  These are good enough that I think I may well keep one pair of these stock just as a reference pair and for portable use.  The down side of these is they reminded me of how good the Grado based designs are, and made me all the more impatient to get the V6's up and running.

On 11/5 I ordered Cocobolo cups from Yew Woodworks. These shipped the morning after my order was placed the night before, within 24 hrs. These were received 11/9. They exceeded all my expectations. The Cocobolo wood is absolutely beautiful. Fit, finish, and workmanship is superb. The grille on the back of the cup has an elegant finished look to it. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Clinton Eash included comfort ear pads with the cups. Also included is a small roll of foam tape for sealing and seating the driver in the cup, and small cable ties to use as strain-reliefs on the cord, very nice touches. Tapping on the cup, they have a significantly higher resonance than the plastic Grado cups. I can highly recommend this option to others due to the excellent workmanship, quick response, and attention to detail.  

On 11/5 I ordered Grado L-Cush pads, since the V6 drivers were designed to be used with these pads. These arrived via Amazon 11/9.

Since I decided to keep the cord on the Alessandro drivers, once I get a cable, I'll be good to go.  I'm still trying to decide whether to buy from someone else or build. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #3,669 of 4,994

...The Alessandro MS1's I ordered on 11/5 to use as donor headphones were received 11/9.  They come in a Grado box, packaging with a separate label affixed which identifies it as an Alessandro MS1, and include a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. Before I ordered, I verified with Alessandro that these MS1's incorporated the latest e-series features. I had planned to use the headband, gimbals, and cord from these.  However, the cord has a flange on it which interferes with my iPhone case.   So at this point, I think I will just detach the cup/driver/cord from the headband/gimbal assembly and make them available to raise money for veterans as discussed earlier.... 

MS1 drivers posted in classified to benefit veterans.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #3,670 of 4,994
Rhydon has posted the preliminary 3D cup preliminary drawing on the http://symphones.com/ site.

Very nice, minimalist.  This should be a very light and inert cup for the V6, almost an extension of the driver itself.  Very open grille to minimize reflection.  Nicely done.  

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #3,671 of 4,994
  Rhydon has posted the preliminary 3D cup preliminary drawing on the http://symphones.com/ site.

Very nice, minimalist.  This should be a very light and inert cup for the V6, almost an extension of the driver itself.  Very open grille to minimize reflection.  Nicely done.  

mmm.. preliminary. beautiful nonetheless!
syn, do you have a sense of what next steps are regarding the 3d model? 
depending on what material will be ideally suited for the cups, that's going to determine which vendors can even work on the c6, right?
is it going to be a given that a place like shapeways.com is going to have the raw material necessary for the model?

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #3,672 of 4,994
  mmm.. preliminary. beautiful nonetheless!
syn, do you have a sense of what next steps are regarding the 3d model? 
depending on what material will be ideally suited for the cups, that's going to determine which vendors can even work on the c6, right?
is it going to be a given that a place like shapeways.com is going to have the raw material necessary for the model?

uploaded to shapeways
28 bucks shipped in hard plastic
looks like about a 3 week lead time
who's  got about 90 bucks for stainless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back