Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 13, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #3,691 of 4,994
  I received this email from Rhydon this morning...

"Hi John,

i’ve been keeping up to date on the forum’s.

The cable issue seems to be of concern. We are going to upload a new design which addresses this. In the mean time i suggest holding your current shapeways order. The new version should is being worked on, it should be up by Monday. The site will be updated to reflect everything.

In the future we’re going to mark the C1 as a Beta program, at least until we can confirm all materials. 

We're planing on making a seller space on shapeways where customers can simply order the part direct rather then downloading/creating account, etc. This should simplify and speed the whole process for everyone.

Thanks for your understanding in this process.

Here if you have any concerns/questions.

Rhydon"

I cancelled my order with shapeways, and will reorder to incorporate the revisions.  

As a personal observation, its interesting to me that the flexibility and rapid adaptability of the 3D printing approach allows direct interactivity with the knowledge base here in the Head-Fi community. I like the idea of a beta release of the drawing, which allows examination of the design and constructive input, before production.  Further, the approach allow further refinement of the design with release of later versions, or separate versions if called for. This paradigm see the product is as evolutionary, rather than an end result.  Its exciting to me to be part of the interactive development of a product as part of the community here, that leverages the game-changing advantages of 3D printing design and manufacturing.  Kudos to Rhydon for his vision and initiative in seeing the opportunity to take a different approach.

this a thousand times syn. this; a thousand damn times.

it is frustrating on some level that the c6 has been delayed; i may not get to pair the v6 with my incoming mojos for another month or so!
frankly though, i'm much more encouraged and honored to feel this close to the process.
the delay (c6 design), more than anything, is an affirmation that rhydon values sound as much as we do insomuch as the design process permits.
the individual with whom i've been coordinating the soldering/assembly piece for the past two weeks spoke with me over the phone about the c6 design, asking a lot of the same questions alluded to here, perhaps a bit more pointedly. :) he also reflected on past iterations of the magnum, back to the v4, having owned one himself.
again though, it just feeds into how close i feel to the process.

were this reddit though, i can envision pitchforks at the ready!
i've benefited hugely from everyone elses knowledge around grado modding. and continue to.

my hope is that rhydon might post a bit about preferred raw materials for the redesign.
it's all so close to coming together. besides considering investing in headband / gimbals / rods / cables, it's just a waiting game now.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,692 of 4,994
Production on my C6's began at Shapeways before I was able to submit my cancellation, so it looks like I will have one of the few pair of Version 1.0 C6's. 
rolleyes.gif
  I'll be interested to see the changes that Rhydon makes so I can hopefully manually modify or replicate them.  

Just as information for others, I placed my initial order with Shapeways on 11/12, production began on the 13th, and the site shows the projected ship date to be 11/25.  However, as fast as this has process has proceeded otherwise, it would not surprise me if the projected date is exceeded.

And speaking of fast response, I ordered Mogami cable and Amphenol connectors from Redco at 12:05 on 11/12, the order shipped FedEx Home Delivery from Stratford, CT at 2:34 the same day, and I received the order in Franklin, TN on 11/14.

Many thanks to Arty McGee for his PM correspondence that helped me to decide to build my own cables, provided options for sourcing, and for his recommendations on what cables and materials to use.

Nov 16, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #3,693 of 4,994
Once the C6 cups are finalized, I think I will order them in Bronze from shapeways. I have always wanted a Bronze headphones. If Martin was still selling his aluminum gimbals, I'd buy one from him. Already have the funds for a Magnum V6 ready.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #3,694 of 4,994
it's up! http://symphones.com/
been crushing my f5 button lately. lol.

just bought me c6 v1.1 :)
stainless steel.

though i must say, frosted detail ultra looks f'ing legit.
lastly, obvi.. but make sure you buy yourself a pair.

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #3,695 of 4,994
  it's up! http://symphones.com/
been crushing my f5 button lately. lol.

just bought me c6 v1.1 :)
stainless steel.

though i must say, frosted detail ultra looks f'ing legit.
lastly, obvi.. but make sure you buy yourself a pair.

That last point wasn't as obvious xD I wish there was a Bronze option, or they provided the 3D file so I could print it with different layers of materials, etc.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #3,697 of 4,994
  Equedadoii & Kapanak,

Heads up, there was a glitch with the rendering of our mesh on 1.1. Its fixed now. Please replace your orders with Beta 1.2. Thanks guys!

i wasn't sure how refunds work with shapeways rhydon, so i went ahead and e-mailed them.

if i should order another or if they'll just acknowledge (1.1 to 1.2) that you updated the beta.
i'll act accordingly.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #3,701 of 4,994
Equedadoii & Kapanak,

Heads up, there was a glitch with the rendering of our mesh on 1.1. Its fixed now. Please replace your orders with Beta 1.2. Thanks guys!

Nice approach for the cable :). I never thought of that!

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #3,702 of 4,994

Thanks mate! Any possibility of Bronze being added as a material type?

This information from shapeways site for stainless steel:

"This material is 3D printed 420 Stainless Steel infused with bronze, and has a final composition of approximately 60% steel and 40% bronze. To build steel models, special 3D printers deposit small drops of glue onto layers of stainless steel powder, one layer at a time, until the print is complete. We carefully remove these models from the printer. At this stage of the process, the objects are very fragile, similar to wet sand. The models then go through an infusion process that replaces the glue with bronze, creating a full metal product. Models are then processed to achieve your desired finish, sprayed with a sealant, and shipped to you." and "The way that bronze infiltrates into the steel can vary, and this changes the color of your product. If there is a higher concentration of Bronze near the surface of the product, it will take on more of Bronze's deep brown color. This has the most noticeable impact on Stainless Steel, but can also affect the shade of other finishes. The bronze infiltration process also requires the addition of sprues that are broken off and polished away after infusion. This can create small, round marks on the final product that appear smoother and more polished than the rest of the product.

This description at least to me implies that the current 3D process being used does not offer either 100% stainless, or 100% bronze, construction.

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #3,704 of 4,994
  This information from shapeways site for stainless steel:

"This material is 3D printed 420 Stainless Steel infused with bronze, and has a final composition of approximately 60% steel and 40% bronze. To build steel models, special 3D printers deposit small drops of glue onto layers of stainless steel powder, one layer at a time, until the print is complete. We carefully remove these models from the printer. At this stage of the process, the objects are very fragile, similar to wet sand. The models then go through an infusion process that replaces the glue with bronze, creating a full metal product. Models are then processed to achieve your desired finish, sprayed with a sealant, and shipped to you." and "The way that bronze infiltrates into the steel can vary, and this changes the color of your product. If there is a higher concentration of Bronze near the surface of the product, it will take on more of Bronze's deep brown color. This has the most noticeable impact on Stainless Steel, but can also affect the shade of other finishes. The bronze infiltration process also requires the addition of sprues that are broken off and polished away after infusion. This can create small, round marks on the final product that appear smoother and more polished than the rest of the product.

This description at least to me implies that the current 3D process being used does not offer either 100% stainless, or 100% bronze, construction.

what material will you end up with syn?

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #3,705 of 4,994
  what material will you end up with syn?

I chose the Strong and Flexible material, which is nylon, for its durability and resilience.  

I also chose the Polished Metallic Plastic, which is nylon mixed with metallic particles, for its visual aesthetic which I like, although the description indicated it is slightly more brittle than the Strong and Flexible. So I hedged my bet in the event the Metallic Plastic is not durable.  Also, from an acoustic standpoint I wondered if the presence of the metallic particles in the nylon might affect the resonance versus the nylon alone.  Metallic or mineral particles are sometimes imbedded in plastic speaker cones to change the resonance or structural nature. 

I considered the stainless option but had concerns about whether the material might "ring" as metals tend to do since the walls are very thin. Another factor was a relatively higher weight, though that may in actuality be negligible. 

According to Shapeways, they are in production, estimated to be received on or before 11/25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back