Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 20, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3,706 of 4,994
Hey since there is a lull in this thread as we anxiously await our 3d printed cups (although I haven't ordered yet...I'll let you guys be the guinea pigs for now, haha), I figured I'd step in with my most recent pad revelation! 

Alright, so I can finally say without a doubt that I have discovered the optimal pad configuration, at least with the various pads/materials that I have on hand.

I noticed when listening to the HD414 pads in both their solitary and Sunflower configurations that the type of foam used in them somewhat "deadens" the sound. It kinda smooths things out and reduces that treble detail that these headphones have with just bowl pads. I then did some thinking and realized that there was a pad configuration I had no tried yet. I decided to swap out the HD414 pads and replace them with the generic S-Cush pads that I order from Amazon when doing the Sunflower pad mod. Specifically, I first put on the S-Cush with the larger hole closer the the ear (smaller hole gripping the cup). Then I stretched out the Grado Bowl pads over top. These S-Cush pads are more porous and quite similar to the foam Grado uses. What a wonderfully rich, full sound these give off while retaining fine details. The Magnum V6 sounds truly outstanding in this configuration--really brings out both vocals and bass. 

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #3,707 of 4,994
If the information exists elsewhere, please forgive the repetition. Driver wise, what are the differences between v4, v5 (turb x) & the current offering v6? Owners, any feedback would be very welcome. How much, for example, do the new (current) lens contribute?

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #3,708 of 4,994
  If the information exists elsewhere, please forgive the repetition. Driver wise, what are the differences between v4, v5 (turb x) & the current offering v6? Owners, any feedback would be very welcome. How much, for example, do the new (current) lens contribute?

here

doesn't answer your question exactly, but

General member comments on Magnum V6 drivers:

joeq70: Brief Initial Impressions: HOLY BASS RESPONSE BATMAN
More impressions: To my ears, the frequency balance of these is overall quite natural. It reminds me of a more intimate, clearer sounding HD600 (with a sacrifice soundstage). Compared to previous Magnum iterations, I would place these in between the clinical X/V5 and smooth sounding V4. The V6 is more similar overall to the V4 in that it has a very nice, lush midrange. What distinguishes the V6, however, is that sub bass notes actually come through rather than just get cut off. I think the V6 has even deeper and tighter bass than the X, but sacrifices less midrange than the X does. I have been using S-Cush style pads from a 3rd party, and I totally love them. You can get them here. I went to a local hifi store to try out bowl pads and I think they sounded good, but simply not to my taste. I will report back when I get a chance to try out more pads.

wormsdriver: With very limited listening and out of my cell phone at that, no burn in, and according to Ryhdon, they might still need a week for some of the coating to dry (after removing the sticker covers), these things are VERY special.
Excellent bass response when called for, very nice imaging, lots and lots of details, vocals sound beautiful...
I can't wait to hear them evolve and also hear them out of my desktop gear. So far, so good, I'd say these are excellent, hell they sound down right exquisite! ... Ah, forgot to mention, these are very transparent also! ...and no, not just looks either! 
wink.gif

7keys: I  like them, they do have more bass than the V4's I had, which to me is a good thing. I definitely could live with these.

joeq70: It has been a good six months or so since I listened to the higher end Grados (the whole line, SR325 and up), but I want to say these are most similar to the PS500 (sorry lol). The V6 is a bit more balanced sounding overall​ iirc. But also mind you I wasn't terribly impressed with the PS500 when I heard it and right now I'm highly impressed with these V6s. I'd really like to hear from someone who has a fresher comparison.

Arty McGee: 
i've been going back and forth between all metal V6's  and HD700's
the highs and mids are similar the bass is a little better defined in the senns
but more present in the V6, i keep grabbing for the V6, 
HD700 goin up for trade bait for a tube amp

fleasbaby: So they definitely sound better with a little time and the new cups. Listening to a stream from Bandcamp via my work MacBook Air, and I am really enjoying what I hear. Lots of lifelike drums, smooth highs, no sibilance, and clear, articulate mids. These are a very good upgrade to make if you're a longtime Magnum user, and a fantastic entry point for the new initiate.

7keys: I haven’t listened to my Magnum V6’s for two days; I put them on for a listen before I changed cups and found they sounded way better. It’s not that I didn’t like them before, I did, but I found I liked my SennGrado’s a bit more. But now I find the sound stage opened up with more separation between instruments, also more vibrant sounding.  I was getting some WOW moments listening to music I’ve heard a hundred times before.  I don’t know what accounts for it but it seems as if I’m listening to a whole other headphone. 

fleasbaby: I had the same experience. The first hour was a little sad...they sounded off somehow, then all of a sudden they loosened up and they are now extremely pleasing to listen to.

joeq70: just a brief comparison I did yesterday between the V6 and some other headphones. A caveat: I used the Sunflower pads on the V6 which definitely changes the sound for the better imo.
V6 vs SR325i: The V6 is better in every respect- it is fuller sounding, has more bass, and has a better soundstage while being just as detailed.
V6 vs Audioquest Nighthawk: I also compared it to the Audioquest Nighthawk. The Nighthawk is very different sounding but is far less resolving than the V6, has a narrower soundstage, and has kind of an odd frequency response that sounds uncomfortable on some songs. The Nighthawk does have more bass, though.
V6 vs Sennheiser Momentum 2.0: This Sennheiser is very underrated because it is a stylish portable headphone. The Sennheiser sounded nice but lacked some body, resolution, and soundstage width. The V6 has much more detail and openness but lacks the sub bass of the momentum. I could live with the Momentum 2.0 as a portable headphone but it lacks too much detail on anything but the most perfectly mastered tracks to use regularly at home. Also, the Momentum's bass could be considered loose to some.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #3,709 of 4,994
Eque, thanks very much for that. Not quite an answer but all good & useful information. Impressions from veteran ears are always gravy. Also,

I still had some wood lying around, so I decided to give my V5 drivers a final home and I guess this will be my last wood build: Karelian Birch with Rosewood inner sleeves and Ebony lids, hybrid pads (Grado l-cush plus Mi Headphones by Xiaomi pleather pads on top), Tascam headband.

Those look absolutely spectacular. Lustre of the wood is particularly striking, especially given it was originally "just lying around". Is that like in classic noires, when the femme fatale, decked in jaw dropping lingerie, says "What, this old thing? I just threw it on". & which Tascam is that? How is it holding up durability wise?

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #3,710 of 4,994
  Those look absolutely spectacular. Lustre of the wood is particularly striking, especially given it was originally "just lying around". Is that like in classic noires, when the femme fatale, decked in jaw dropping lingerie, says "What, this old thing? I just threw it on". & which Tascam is that? How is it holding up durability wise?

mmm.. i'm tempted by that tascam headband;
i'd love to know how tightly it'd clamp to my jar of a head.

may end up going for the sony 7506, but not particularly enamored by it.

also, are those detachable cables i see

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #3,712 of 4,994
  mmm.. i'm tempted by that tascam headband;
i'd love to know how tightly it'd clamp to my jar of a head.

may end up going for the sony 7506, but not particularly enamored by it.

also, are those detachable cables i see

+1 on the tascam headband assembly

it appears to be the TH-MX2 model
http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-Series-TH-MX2-Studio-Headphones/dp/B00GBATPIG

the TH-02 looks as if it would work as well and also seems to have a plush headband for a bit less money,though substitutes the aluminum adjustment rods w/ plastic
http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-TH02-B-Closed-Back-Stylish-Headphone/dp/B00B1N06PO

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #3,713 of 4,994

the TH-02 looks as if it would work as well and also seems to have a plush headband for a bit less money,though substitutes the aluminum adjustment rods w/ plastic

leaning towards one?
fit is more important than comfort to me, long as the difference is comfort is somewhat negligible.

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #3,714 of 4,994

leaning towards one?
fit is more important than comfort to me, long as the difference is comfort is somewhat negligible.

It will be interesting to see if they are a good fit with your cups. If they are I'd like to try them. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #3,715 of 4,994

leaning towards one?

i'm definitely interested,although for now i have a Grado SR60i headband assembly all ready and waiting.

i had to send my cables back to Dale at Venus Audio for modifications so it will be a few more days before i get them back, and my striped rosewood cups from Turbulent Labs are (at last!) in the United States (just processed through NY according to my tracking info) so hopefully i can begin my build towards the end of next week.

before anything else i want to get a feel for how the Grado SR60i headband assembly + Symphones V6 drivers, Turbulent Labs rosewood cups and Venus Audio cable sound as a cohesive unit for a month or two and then from there start experimenting with alternate cups and headband assemblies - as by that time i'll have a good idea of how they sound and feel and what changes (if any) i want to make.
i just realized if i do end up buying one of the alternate headband assemblies there won't be any original Grado parts left to my Grado mod
beyersmile.png

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #3,716 of 4,994
  i'm definitely interested,although for now i have a Grado SR60i headband assembly all ready and waiting.

i had to send my cables back to Dale at Venus Audio for modifications so it will be a few more days before i get them back, and my striped rosewood cups from Turbulent Labs are (at last!) in the United States (just processed through NY according to my tracking info) so hopefully i can begin my build towards the end of next week.

before anything else i want to get a feel for how the Grado SR60i headband assembly + Symphones V6 drivers, Turbulent Labs rosewood cups and Venus Audio cable sound as a cohesive unit for a month or two and then from there start experimenting with alternate cups and headband assemblies - as by that time i'll have a good idea of how they sound and feel and what changes (if any) i want to make.
i just realized if i do end up buying one of the alternate headband assemblies there won't be any original Grado parts left to my Grado mod
beyersmile.png

yup; that's pretty much where i'm headed.
with every second, i'm drifting towards switching out the sr60i headband+gimbals for the more plush of the two tascam headbands.
i just sent an e-mail to rhydon inquiring about compatibility just to make sure.

and if the c6 cup is capable of a detachable cable setup, well then, there goes the dough i put towards the used sr60i. goddam.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #3,717 of 4,994
The Tascam headband (taken from a set of TASCAM TH Series TH-MX2 in my case) cannot be used on standard Grado-sized cups, which (at least my 325i metal cups) have an outer diameter of about 55mm. So the Tascam gimbals will be a little too large to fit. I made custom cups with an outer diameter of 60mm, so that I could use them. In addition, the pleather on these Tascam headbands is not really good quality. So I replaced the pleather with some nice Italian lambskin leather.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #3,718 of 4,994
  The Tascam headband (taken from a set of TASCAM TH Series TH-MX2 in my case) cannot be used on standard Grado-sized cups, which (at least my 325i metal cups) have an outer diameter of about 55mm. So the Tascam gimbals will be a little too large to fit. I made custom cups with an outer diameter of 60mm, so that I could use them. In addition, the pleather on these Tascam headbands is not really good quality. So I replaced the pleather with some nice Italian lambskin leather.

oh damn.
thanks for the quick reply.

looks like it may be down to the sony 7506s or turbulent then.

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #3,719 of 4,994
Shapeways notified me production is finished and C6 cups shipped 11/21.
atsmile.gif

Also, I was considering ordering the Symphonized Wood headphones for the nice looking headband assembly, however on closer examination, it appears that the yoke that actually attaches to the cup is not semicircular like the Grados, but a little more v-shaped which might interfere with the flared outer edge shape of the Yew wood cups.  So I think I will use the Alessandro MS1 headband with the Cocobolo cups, and a Sony 7506 headband with the C6 Symphones cups.  I'm going to check with a local leather crafter ( http://ngartisans.com/collections/leather ) to see if they can make a custom leather headband for me, maybe with the Symphones logo.  If they can't do the logo, I might try it myself with a woodburner.  I really like the weathered-look leather, and the right shade would complement the Cocobolo (Gotta love that word
biggrin.gif
) wood.  Gonna try to get my cords made this week if I can find the right paracord.  I thought about using techflex as a covering but not sure how that would work out.  Closing in on getting some V6's up and running.

The other pair of MS1's I ordered originally for a donor headband are keepers...these are very good headphones, giving my ATH-R70X's a run for their money, and sounding even sweeter as they break in.  They will be a very interesting reference for comparison of V6's.

I've been checking Craigslist for used Grados cheap for a donor headband, but no luck; seems no one wants to get rid of Grados.  OTOH, there are a gazillion Beats headphones there, seems folks can get rid of them fast enough.
eek.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #3,720 of 4,994
  Shapeways notified me production is finished and C6 cups shipped 11/21.
atsmile.gif

Also, I was considering ordering the Symphonized Wood headphones for the nice looking headband assembly, however on closer examination, it appears that the yoke that actually attaches to the cup is not semicircular like the Grados, but a little more v-shaped which might interfere with the flared outer edge shape of the Yew wood cups.  So I think I will use the Alessandro MS1 headband with the Cocobolo cups, and a Sony 7502 "Tactical Studio Monitor" headband with the C6 Symphones cups.  I'm going to check with a local leather crafter ( http://ngartisans.com/collections/leather ) to see if they can make a custom leather headband for me, maybe with the Symphones logo.  If they can't do the logo, I might try it myself with a woodburner.  I really like the weathered-look leather, and the right shade would complement the Cocobolo (Gotta love that word
biggrin.gif
) wood.  

Gonna try to get my cords made this week if I can find the right paracord.  I thought about using techflex as a covering but not sure how that would work out.

The other pair of MS1's I ordered originally for a donor headband are keepers...these are very good headphones, giving my ATH-R70X's a run for their money, and sounding even sweeter as they break in.  They will be a very interesting reference for comparison of V6's.

I've been checking Craigslist for used Grados cheap for a donor headband, but no luck; seems no one wants to get rid of Grados.  OTOH, there are a gazillion Beats headphones there, seems folks can get rid of them fast enough.
eek.gif

great stuff to hear syn.
yet to get my notification, though i expect it'll come sharpish if you just got yours.

i'll probably end up grabbing me a sony 7506 headband with strato's report on the tascam and the expense of the turbulent band.
are you planning on modding a set of detachable cables for yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back