Grado Fan Club!
Oct 24, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #38,821 of 65,636
I have not had my Grado's modified yet. My DAP does have a balanced output via a 4.4mm connector.

Is 3.5mm connectors on the cups tricky or not recommended? My Sony and my Meze will work work with that configuration, although the Meze needs slimmer 3.5mm connectors for the headphones.

Shane D
I don't care for 2.5mm / 3.5mm jacks since I've found that they don't last long with everyday use (had to change out a few for friends) but many seem to like them since its easy to plug-in and remove. I've settled with SMC jacks since my HE400, HE400i and HE560 all have them, they are quite small, fit perfect in the cable hole of most Grado and to me provide a secure connection. The jack that @ruhenheiM showed is the HD800 jack and yes its pricy ($60-80/pair for the cable end and the one in cups is $80 IIRC), SMC jacks can be found for $20 pack of 10 for cables side and $15/pair for cup side. Another jack to consider is mini-XLR (used on Audeze and a few other headphones) so there are many choices.

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #38,822 of 65,636
I don't care for 2.5mm / 3.5mm jacks since I've found that they don't last long with everyday use (had to change out a few for friends) but many seem to like them since its easy to plug-in and remove. I've settled with SMC jacks since my HE400, HE400i and HE560 all have them, they are quite small, fit perfect in the cable hole of most Grado and to me provide a secure connection. The jack that @ruhenheiM showed is the HD800 jack and yes its pricy ($60-80/pair for the cable end and the one in cups is $80 IIRC), SMC jacks can be found for $20 pack of 10 for cables side and $15/pair for cup side. Another jack to consider is mini-XLR (used on Audeze and a few other headphones) so there are many choices.

Any idea on anyone who would mod 'phones in Canada?

Shane D

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #38,823 of 65,636
Kinda random, but I have a used gs1000i up for sale on head-fi, if anyone's interested! Tried to take some nice photos for y'all :)

IMG_3088.jpg

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #38,825 of 65,636
got any pictures of the new cable?
As for balanced jacks / cables there are different types: TRRS: 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 4.4mm (usually found in DAPs), XLR single 4 pin, XLR dual 3 pin, TR/TRS 6.3mm (full size amps)

I ordered too short a cable of course, two metres seemed plenty but once it's snaked around the back of my MDAC, another metre is only like £10. Even when I find a decently priced balanced amp I'll have to have this changed to a single four pin XLR, hopefully that's possible.

At least I can switch cables now, so I'm glad I did it, nothing worse than catching the cable and ending up with sound in one ear.
IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #38,826 of 65,636
I’ve been away from the board for several years now and interestingly Grado seems to hVe lost popularity...also happy to report I picked up a woodied 325 with headband mod, and the aluminum locks and gimbals

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #38,827 of 65,636
Are Grados generally peaky bright? Are there more even sounding Grados?

Also, what makes Grados such a draw from some of you fans? Particular music genre, or what other reasons? What sound signature do you generally prefer, and what about the Grado sound is interesting?

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #38,828 of 65,636
Personally I think it's amazing that this company still does everything by hand in their own little family operated shop...I like them for metal and rock, they do guitars well, they just sound good.

Compared to my higher end gear, they don’t have the clarity, separation, sound stage, and technical ability, etc but they are just fun to listen to...

The Alessandro MS1 is a bit more even sounding...

Also, what makes Grados such a draw from some of you fans? Particular music genre, or what other reasons? What sound signature do you generally prefer, and what about the Grado sound is interesting?

Oct 28, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #38,830 of 65,636

I think the original and "i" SR series could be called peaky and a bit on the bright side but I'm not sure about the older higher end GS and PS models since I haven't heard them. The current generation "e" series are more even sounding but to some might still be consider a bit bright.

I've always like the Grado sound since its a unique sound in comparison to my other headphones and I like them for rock, jazz, blues and some pop. I also have some alternative driver builds that are similar to the RS and GS series which to me are better due to a more natural all around presentation to me. I really don't have a "preferred" signature since I like how each headphone will present a track in its own unique way

Oct 28, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #38,831 of 65,636
Why do I think Grados are Great?

1. More than any other headphone, EACH one (and I either have or have owned over two dozen models) gives you more of the “you are there,” veil-free transparency to the players of the music...you are right in front of them, not hearing them through a wall or around a corner:
  2. More than any other headphone except perhaps the HiFiMAN HE1000 and the Ultrasone Edition 10, Grados, especially the premium ones (PS1000, PS2000e, GS1000i, GS2000e, and RS1 or RS1e) have given me breathless, visceral excitement when listening to certain songs (e.g., Enrique Iglais “I Will Survive,” Michael Tilson Thomas directing Gershwin’s “Strike Up The Band,” and many others) played through the right chain (e.g., Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp, Schiit Gumby / Mjolnir 2, Lotoo PAW Gold);
  3. Their company personality of no print ads, little participation in shows, three generation family, hand assembly by persons whose names I know, in the US, in a company born the same year I was, fabulous retro design beautifully photographed by Jon Grado, etc., etc
  4. Unlike other headphone brands, I can (and frequently have) started listening at the bottom end of their line, SR60, and hearing that lowest end headphone, marveled at its exciting sound quality, convinced that nothing could sound better. But when I listen to the next higher headphone model, it is unbelievably even better. And so on, and so on, on up the line.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #38,832 of 65,636
Why do I think Grados are Great?

1. More than any other headphone, EACH one (and I either have or have owned over two dozen models) gives you more of the “you are there,” veil-free transparency to the players of the music...you are right in front of them, not hearing them through a wall or around a corner:
  2. More than any other headphone except perhaps the HiFiMAN HE1000 and the Ultrasone Edition 10, Grados, especially the premium ones (PS1000, PS2000e, GS1000i, GS2000e, and RS1 or RS1e) have given me breathless, visceral excitement when listening to certain songs (e.g., Enrique Iglais “I Will Survive,” Michael Tilson Thomas directing Gershwin’s “Strike Up The Band,” and many others) played through the right chain (e.g., Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp, Schiit Gumby / Mjolnir 2, Lotoo PAW Gold);
  3. Their company personality of no print ads, little participation in shows, three generation family, hand assembly by persons whose names I know, in the US, in a company born the same yea I was, fabulous retro design beautifully photographed by Jon Grado, etc., etc
  4. Unlike other headphone brands, I can (and frequently have) started listening at the bottom end of their line, SR60, and hearing that lowest end headphone, marveled at its exciting sound quality, convinced that nothing could sound better. But when I listen to the next higher headphone model, it is unbelievably even better. And so on, and so on, on up the line.

I agree completely and I wish I could like your post at least twice... :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #38,833 of 65,636
I don't have any experience with high end Grados so I'll just talk about my experience with sub $1000 Grados. When people say Grados are bright I guess they're talking about the high mid/ lower treble peak (2kHz - 4kHz I guess), instead of the 8kHz peak which usually shows up in Beyer headphones. With the mid bass bump these combined create a vivid and engaging sound character, that's why they're really good for vocals and rock n roll music. I guess these are also the reasons that they sound more detailed than most headphones with the same level of technicality, which makes them a strong buy especially at the sub $500 price range.

But as you move to higher end gears, these characteristics may no longer be considered as pros. When you pass $500 people are starting to expect more linear extensions at both ends, a flatter frequency curve, and bigger soundstage, which I feel are lacking in Grado mid fi headphones. Another reason could be the popularity of Hip Hop/ Dubstep and people feel they need more sub bass, and the bass rolls off a bit earlier for most sub $1000 Grado models.

Like I said I have no experience with high end Grados so I have no idea whether they fix the problems above. But what prevents me from buying a $1000+ Grado is their refusal to disclose the source of the drivers. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with outsourcing drivers, but I really want to know where it's produced (or if they indeed make the drivers in house, simply let us know) if I'm spending $1000+ on a pair of headphones. At a time when every manufacturer is promoting how much technology is applied to their latest drivers, it's pretty hard to spend a ridiculous amount of money in something completely unknown.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #38,834 of 65,636
I don't have any experience with high end Grados so I'll just talk about my experience with sub $1000 Grados. When people say Grados are bright I guess they're talking about the high mid/ lower treble peak (2kHz - 4kHz I guess), instead of the 8kHz peak which usually shows up in Beyer headphones. With the mid bass bump these combined create a vivid and engaging sound character, that's why they're really good for vocals and rock n roll music. I guess these are also the reasons that they sound more detailed than most headphones with the same level of technicality, which makes them a strong buy especially at the sub $500 price range.

But as you move to higher end gears, these characteristics may no longer be considered as pros. When you pass $500 people are starting to expect more linear extensions at both ends, a flatter frequency curve, and bigger soundstage, which I feel are lacking in Grado mid fi headphones. Another reason could be the popularity of Hip Hop/ Dubstep and people feel they need more sub bass, and the bass rolls off a bit earlier for most sub $1000 Grado models.

Like I said I have no experience with high end Grados so I have no idea whether they fix the problems above. But what prevents me from buying a $1000+ Grado is their refusal to disclose the source of the drivers. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with outsourcing drivers, but I really want to know where it's produced (or if they indeed make the drivers in house, simply let us know) if I'm spending $1000+ on a pair of headphones. At a time when every manufacturer is promoting how much technology is applied to their latest drivers, it's pretty hard to spend a ridiculous amount of money in something completely unknown.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/02/grado-labs-hand-built-headphones/
paragraph 13: ""We do most of the work here," John explains. In the beginning, the company made about 25 pairs of wooden at a time there. Several models are made out of wood or feature it in some way, so it would require a massive investment to keep everything right there in Brooklyn now that Grado has increased production. John turned to a friend to do the woodwork and manufacture some metal parts at a facility in upstate New York. He enlisted another friend on Long Island to produce the headphone speakers."

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #38,835 of 65,636
As much as I am a fan of the Prestige and the Reference series I’ve steered away from the other models. The only pricier headphones I’d consider are HD800, but then I don’t use them for everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back