Grado Fan Club!
Oct 31, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #38,851 of 65,599
No, I have not heard the GS3000e.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #38,852 of 65,599
I am far from an expert, but the SR325e was my introduction to Grado. I found it "noisy" or as most term it, "bright". But after six months it was my favourite and I didn't really notice the noise.

I wanted to climb the Grado tree but was not willing to spend HUGE (to me) money. I settled on the GH2 and they are awesome. To me, they are a refined SR325e and are as close to perfect as I have heard yet.

Shane D
Same here. Started with SR325e (well, it's actually SR60i, but that was a long long time ago) and settled on GH2, though I feel they're slightly different in sound characters. I feel PS500e more like a enhanced SR325e, but still don't quite replicate the intimacy the latter makes me feel. That's what I like about Grado: even though most of them share pretty similar sound characters, and you almost always get higher sound quality if you pay higher prices, but you still could find a reason to keep a less expensive model in your collection cos it's that special.

For me SR325e and RS2e are the special models from the sub $1000 e series. Passionate and entertaining the former, smooth and elegant the latter. Complement each other really well. Even though I listen to GH2 more often these days, I could never part ways with these two beauties.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #38,853 of 65,599
That's what I like about Grado: even though most of them share pretty similar sound characters, and you almost always get higher sound quality if you pay higher prices, but you still could find a reason to keep a less expensive model in your collection cos it's that special..
This is spot on. Though I don’t really like anything outside the SR and RS lines.

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #38,854 of 65,599
Same here. Started with SR325e (well, it's actually SR60i, but that was a long long time ago) and settled on GH2, though I feel they're slightly different in sound characters. I feel PS500e more like a enhanced SR325e, but still don't quite replicate the intimacy the latter makes me feel. That's what I like about Grado: even though most of them share pretty similar sound characters, and you almost always get higher sound quality if you pay higher prices, but you still could find a reason to keep a less expensive model in your collection cos it's that special.

For me SR325e and RS2e are the special models from the sub $1000 e series. Passionate and entertaining the former, smooth and elegant the latter. Complement each other really well. Even though I listen to GH2 more often these days, I could never part ways with these two beauties.

I own GH2 and RS2e and love them both but like you, I mostly listen to the GH2 these days. Sometimes I still think about acquiring the 325e though. Do you think that they are worth it, given one already owns two technically superior models?

I'm also tempted to try out the GH3 and GH4, though I doubt they will top the GH2. these are just the perfect Grado Headphones for my ears.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #38,855 of 65,599

Interesting to hear your take on the PS500e. The local dealer had a demo set on sale at a great price several months ago. I tried them and I immediately noticed how quiet and smooth they were. After about 15 minutes it struck me: It was a Grado with all the fun sucked out, in my opinion.

I was going to look at the RS2e's due to all the great reviews. However, I did want a Woody and I liked the idea of a limited run. The GH2's ended up costing me almost a grand (in Canada) which was more than I wanted to spend.
VERY happy with the purchase though. To me it is a smoother 325. This is the only pair of headphones that I will never sell (and probably the Meze 99's).

Shane D

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #38,858 of 65,599
I have a question. Which Grado do you find to be the best performance per price ratio, and which one sounds the most refined and detailed of them all? I wish I can try the many Grados for a listen, which is the best way for me to figure out which I like best.

I have the RS2e and 'bang for buck' it's pretty darn good. I had an opportunity to A/B them with Focal Utopias and I'll say the clarity, detail and sound stage the RS2es were holding there own. The Utopias seemed just a tad smoother at the high-end and certainly better bass.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #38,859 of 65,599
This is spot on. Though I don’t really like anything outside the SR and RS lines.
I actually like what I read about the PS2000e (and the look too), but it's way beyond my budget.

I own GH2 and RS2e and love them both but like you, I mostly listen to the GH2 these days. Sometimes I still think about acquiring the 325e though. Do you think that they are worth it, given one already owns two technically superior models?

I'm also tempted to try out the GH3 and GH4, though I doubt they will top the GH2. these are just the perfect Grado Headphones for my ears.
I'm not sure. They're fun headphones, but GH2 and RS2e are definitely the better headphones. Especially if you listen to GH2 most of the time, switching back to SR325e, you may find them bass light and the treble not as refined. I like them for their slightly colored vocals and close up soundstage, great for 60s rock like the Stones, but they're not replacing GH2 or RS2e as my daily headphones.

And yes, GH3 and GH4 are really tempting. Probably the second most beautiful Grado woodies ever (the first being GH1).

Interesting to hear your take on the PS500e. The local dealer had a demo set on sale at a great price several months ago. I tried them and I immediately noticed how quiet and smooth they were. After about 15 minutes it struck me: It was a Grado with all the fun sucked out, in my opinion.

I was going to look at the RS2e's due to all the great reviews. However, I did want a Woody and I liked the idea of a limited run. The GH2's ended up costing me almost a grand (in Canada) which was more than I wanted to spend.
VERY happy with the purchase though. To me it is a smoother 325. This is the only pair of headphones that I will never sell (and probably the Meze 99's).

Shane D
Oh really? I haven't listened to PS500e in a long time, but I don't remember them being boring. Guess I'll check on them tonight. Anyway, it seems we both have found our perfect headphones in GH2. And by the way they were also ridiculously pricy here in China ($800).

By the way I was considering buying the Massdrop Meze 99 for office use, but then I saw people talking about the pads change which got me quite confused, so I quitted it.

This is exactly how I feel about my 325is.
And some said the gold is their favorite 325s. It seems in every generation, the 325s are classic.

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #38,860 of 65,599
By the way I was considering buying the Massdrop Meze 99 for office use, but then I saw people talking about the pads change which got me quite confused, so I quitted it.

I don't get all the hate on the pads for these. I bought mine over a year ago and I find them super comfortable. And they sound great! I actually have a balanced cable on the way for them.
When I bought these they were $399.00, plus tax. The same price as the SR325e's.

For half the price of GH2's, I think you would be Very impressed. They are really easy to drive and sound wonderful out of my LG V30 phone.

I am thinking HARD about ordering the MassDrop HE4XX's. Most reviews are pretty flattering and they are really cheap. Almost bought some "NIB" Denon's (AH-D7200's), but I chickened out on the cost ($600.00).

Shane D

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #38,861 of 65,599
I don't get all the hate on the pads for these. I bought mine over a year ago and I find them super comfortable. And they sound great! I actually have a balanced cable on the way for them.
When I bought these they were $399.00, plus tax. The same price as the SR325e's.

For half the price of GH2's, I think you would be Very impressed. They are really easy to drive and sound wonderful out of my LG V30 phone.

I am thinking HARD about ordering the MassDrop HE4XX's. Most reviews are pretty flattering and they are really cheap. Almost bought some "NIB" Denon's (AH-D7200's), but I chickened out on the cost ($600.00).

Shane D
Seems it's all about the pads altering the bass. I'd like to have a bit more of it, but looks like the newer pads actually turn it down a bit. Anyway it won't ship until next April so I figure I'd better have some Sony noise cancelling instead.

I had a pair of HE-400i, which I believe sounds exactly like the 4XX. They're quite good for the price, linear bass though not much sub, very good HiFiMAN mid. Anyway I sold them cos I feel the high mid slightly too forward for me.

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #38,862 of 65,599
First of all....I promise to share pictures tomorrow during daylight as I received my GS3000e last Wednesday :). It’s going through the usual burn in period but it starts to show it’s spirit. As some will have read here I was offered a very generous trade-in deal for my (3 months old) GH2 and went in blind hoping that the GS3000e would further expand on what I loved about the GH2. I can truly say that it’s the best headphone I ever had. It looks like it would shorten your neck after a few hours :) but you put it on and....it disappears. Weight is super light and the sound is amazing....no harshness, textured low end (took about 10h before the bass started to kick in). At this level I can only really compare with the PS2000e which I could audition at home for a number of days 2 months ago. Technically it should be superior (it has to no....as the end game G) but I prefer my new toy. Oh and my dealer is sending me a new pair of G cush free of charge as one of the G cush was not cut straight (Q control is not yet at release 2.0 it seems).

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #38,863 of 65,599
Does the cocobolo wood look the same?

Shane D

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #38,864 of 65,599
7DB00A9A-1E90-48DF-8251-91CBAF931DC7.jpeg This can better explain it then me lol

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #38,865 of 65,599
This can better explain it then me lol

More brown. Mine (GH2) are kind of reddish. Is it maybe the dark lighting or are they a solid brown?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back