Grado Fan Club!
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #38,881 of 65,528

So true. Here are my GH2s. Reddish or ? I’m still in love....

They are beautiful aren't they? I feel like a hypocrite talking all this Grado while wearing my Sony Z7's. I have to get my Grado's modded so that I can go balanced. The balanced output sounds so much better on my DAP. Not just louder, but "fuller".

Shane D

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #38,882 of 65,528
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #38,883 of 65,528
Nov 3, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #38,884 of 65,528
Listening to John Smith, album Hummingbird on the 3000e. Sounds fantastic. Every instrument has it’s own space and vocals are amazing.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #38,886 of 65,528
I posted this in two other threads but:

So I just received the GW100 Grados wrieless headphones that have SR225 drivers (apparently/unconfirmed?). This was 100% impulse purchase.
My very first pair of Grados, and of course I plan on writing about them. What I will say is:

1. FINALLY a headphone that plays nice with my bluetooth transmitter. I FINALLY get Apt-X Low Latency to work! That means I finally can just use the Creative G6 to send spdif to the transmitter to a wireless headphone without it defaulting to the really bad proprietary Fast Stream codec which garbles and distorts with most of anything. Apt-X LL sounds fine for my needs, and I can do SBX with the G6.

2. Holy cow, for $250, the headphone feels and looks INCREDIBLY cheap. I mean, Grado, I dunno what you're thinking but aesthetically, this looks and feels like a sub $40 headphone. For $250, you'd think it'd look the part. It doesn't. Disappointment here, questionable design choice here.

3. I always heard Grados were uncomfortable, but even someone like me who takes comfort as #1 priority, I find the GW100 actually quite good on comfort. It's very light, the headband is basically like there is none, and the foam on ear pads are not much different from Portapros, just much bigger in size. I'm used to this style. Clamp is fine too. They're not Ultrasone HFI-15G levels of on ear perfection in comfort, but they're solid here.

4. Really, REEEEEALLY impressive bass presence, but not much actual impact. It's more like it's there, but you don't feel TOO much of it. Not to say it's not present. Like I said, it's actually pretty damn audible, just it ain't a basshead headphone. If this is typical Grado bass, I am a FAN.

5. The midrange is REAAALLY excellent. I think Grado mids are something that are worth investigating.

6. It's a sharp detail clarity. Not warm, not fluid. Sharp and tactile. Fast. I initially thought the GW100 sounded actually not very good. After messing with it, and changing from my phone to my PC, I dunno what prompted a change or if I adapted, but I'm loving the sound. It's different. But man, it's good. I'm actually upset that I missed so many years of Grado goodness. If this is any indication on the Grado sound, I'm absolutely interested in hearing what their other stuff sounds like.

7. Spacious dimensionality. Can't say actual soundstage, but in stereo, it is reallly nice.

8. Controls are incredibly simple if a bit too simple, and the headphone only connects to ONE device at a time.

9. The wired connection has REALLY clean, clear sound with absolutely stellar midrange. One problem: the bass is sucked out. So I don't know how effective wired mode will be without a bass eq to bring the bass back. It effectively makes the GW100 sound like another headphone practically all because of the bass. I'll have to test this more.

10. Initial impressions are mainly positive, aside from the obvious build quality and price. I think it would've been a must have at $150. $250... I dunno. But then, I dunno how it compares to Grados wired lineup. Sound-wise, I'm fine with the sound quality for $250. I mean, damn, it's infectious, clear as a bell and detailed. It really doesn't even sound like a wireless headphone to me. On sound alone, Grado, you have a new fan. ABSOLUTELY.

Look, I'm not gonna lie, I've heard them for less than an hour, and I'm frustrated by how polarizing they are in that they look cheap, but sound so absolutely amazing. I love everything, EVERYTHING about that sound. Grado, I wanted to say they are a hard pass, but as the minutes passed by, I couldn't stop jamming. I haven't had a feeling like this with headphones in a loooooong time. I've heard fantastic headphones, but SOMETHING about the Grado sound here that... it's turned me into a fan.

I wish I could go back and hear all the other stuff Grado has made in the years. Even a simple SR60...

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #38,887 of 65,528
@Mad Lust Envy the Grado sound is definitely unique! I really have no other headphones that give me that same sound. It'd be great if there were a closed-back headphone or IEM that approximated the Grado sound since while I prefer open headphones by far over closed or IEM's, sometimes I need isolation.

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #38,888 of 65,528
38E70D33-FA6F-4009-BE3C-3B5C0EE95F12.jpeg

Hadn’t noticed this upon my late night unboxing of the gs3000e last week. It’s deemed in spec by Grado so I’ll take the added charm, lol.

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #38,892 of 65,528
Hello All!

I just have to say that it was quite a fun ride going through the last 30 pages or so on this thread. It helped to rekindle my love for Grados as well as being part of this fine community again. I guess I sorta stopped visiting when they changed/updated the format a long while back.

I have to say that I just acquired my 3rd pair of RS1i’s (#30xxx)!!! I am still in love with them. They compliment my GS2Ke perfectly. My headphone collection is now complete....for now.

I bought and sold the Dolce & Gabbana DS2012 (basically a GS1000 rebranded) and the PS1000 last year and never regretted it. I found myself always looking for those forward mids and musicality I found in the RS1is in other HP’s to no avail. The Audeze Sine DXs are the closest I had to that mid forward sound but lacked that Grado grit.

I am looking forward to posting my impressions and contrasts to other headphones in my collection here. Cheers!

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #38,893 of 65,528

Hadn’t noticed this upon my late night unboxing of the gs3000e last week. It’s deemed in spec by Grado so I’ll take the added charm, lol.

Just adds character!:gs1000smile:

When people ask you can say that you have owned them for decades.:grinning:

Shane D

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #38,894 of 65,528
First of all....I promise to share pictures tomorrow during daylight as I received my GS3000e last Wednesday :). It’s going through the usual burn in period but it starts to show it’s spirit. As some will have read here I was offered a very generous trade-in deal for my (3 months old) GH2 and went in blind hoping that the GS3000e would further expand on what I loved about the GH2. I can truly say that it’s the best headphone I ever had.

Nice. I really like my GS2Ke. It's the better headphone for me re sound quality, imaging, and comfort. I loved the PS2Ke when I had them on loan, and would take them in a heartbeat if I could justify the expense. However, the weight was a concern, and I'm living happily with the GS2Ke.

Except until now with the GS3000e... :)

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #38,895 of 65,528
Can any one compare a magnum V8 build with the GS2000e. My V8 build was inspired by the G2000e with Mahogany cups and Grado G-cushions. Better overall balance than my RS2es, but less of the forward mids in the sound stage. Looking at the G2k or G3k as an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back