Grado Fan Club!
Oct 29, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #38,837 of 65,599
https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/02/grado-labs-hand-built-headphones/
paragraph 13: ""We do most of the work here," John explains. In the beginning, the company made about 25 pairs of wooden at a time there. Several models are made out of wood or feature it in some way, so it would require a massive investment to keep everything right there in Brooklyn now that Grado has increased production. John turned to a friend to do the woodwork and manufacture some metal parts at a facility in upstate New York. He enlisted another friend on Long Island to produce the headphone speakers."
Thanks man. I did google Grado drivers but never found much info. Though I'm still a little skeptical about how one person or any small workshop could produce so many drivers of different types. Hopefully someday they could tell us more about it, like how Audioquest explains the technology behind their Nighthawk headphones and the biocellulose drivers.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #38,838 of 65,599
At a time when every manufacturer is promoting how much technology is applied to their latest drivers, it's pretty hard to spend a ridiculous amount of money in something completely unknown.
Why would Grado not releasing "their driver "technology" deter you from buying a higher end model? Isn't it the sound that matters most? Grado keeps their "technology" and design simple without adding the lure in their advertisements. I've spent time with many "technically better" headphones and the "technology" really doesn't mean much if you're pleased or not with what you're hearing. Sorry, I don't mean to come off wrong to you in any way, but too me, this is just a ridiculous statement, and you're denying yourself a chance for a great listening experience (or not) due to this.
:)

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #38,839 of 65,599
Why would Grado not releasing "their driver "technology" deter you from buying a higher end model? Isn't it the sound that matters most? Grado keeps their "technology" and design simple without adding the lure in their advertisements. I've spent time with many "technically better" headphones and the "technology" really doesn't mean much if you're pleased or not with what you're hearing. Sorry, I don't mean to come off wrong to you in any way, but too me, this is just a ridiculous statement, and you're denying yourself a chance for a great listening experience (or not) due to this.
:)
No offense taken. I think you have a point, that if you like it and think it's worth the money, you should buy it and enjoy it regardless of anything else. But when I make a purchase, I want to make sure that I'm not being overcharged, so I like to investigate a bit about the building materials, the production process, the R&D behind it, things like that, then decide if it's worth the money or not. That's why I always prefer the manufacturers disclose more information about their products.

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #38,842 of 65,599
I'm vacationing in New York City in 2 weeks. Is there a shop there that has the entire Grado line for audition, including the new releases? Surely there must be because it's Grado's home turf. Or do I have to request an appointment at the actual Grado factory? I'd really want to try out the GS3000e and the GH4!

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #38,843 of 65,599
I'm vacationing in New York City in 2 weeks. Is there a shop there that has the entire Grado line for audition, including the new releases? Surely there must be because it's Grado's home turf. Or do I have to request an appointment at the actual Grado factory? I'd really want to try out the GS3000e and the GH4!
I doubt very highly that any authorized dealer will have the entire Grado lineup, but here are dealers in Manhattan you could call or visit while you're there.

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 10.20.11 PM.png

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #38,844 of 65,599
I’d suggest 4OurEars, at 1365 N Railroad Ave #119, Staten Island, NY 10306. I’d email rgrado@4ourears.com to see if they have an actual showroom, but they are indeed the “official Grado store.”

617A0593-D47A-419F-8D21-8B5258321E3B.png

Attachments

• 5C55AEE0-F94F-4841-BA97-CC8415B748A9.png
    5C55AEE0-F94F-4841-BA97-CC8415B748A9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #38,846 of 65,599
I have a question. Which Grado do you find to be the best performance per price ratio, and which one sounds the most refined and detailed of them all? I wish I can try the many Grados for a listen, which is the best way for me to figure out which I like best.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #38,847 of 65,599
I have a question. Which Grado do you find to be the best performance per price ratio, and which one sounds the most refined and detailed of them all? I wish I can try the many Grados for a listen, which is the best way for me to figure out which I like best.

GS1000i

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #38,848 of 65,599
I agree with @odessamarin , above, saying GS1000i. Unfortunately, that is no longer in production, though you can find it used.

For an in-production headphone, I would suggest the RS2e.

You can click on the second link in my signature (“Huge Comparison of (Nearly) All Grados”) to get my comparison and ranking of nearly all Grado models, and how each sound differs.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #38,849 of 65,599
I am far from an expert, but the SR325e was my introduction to Grado. I found it "noisy" or as most term it, "bright". But after six months it was my favourite and I didn't really notice the noise.

I wanted to climb the Grado tree but was not willing to spend HUGE (to me) money. I settled on the GH2 and they are awesome. To me, they are a refined SR325e and are as close to perfect as I have heard yet.

Shane D

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #38,850 of 65,599
I agree with @odessamarin , above, saying GS1000i. Unfortunately, that is no longer in production, though you can find it used.

For an in-production headphone, I would suggest the RS2e.

You can click on the second link in my signature (“Huge Comparison of (Nearly) All Grados”) to get my comparison and ranking of nearly all Grado models, and how each sound differs.

Have you had an opportunity to hear the GS3000e yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back