Grado Fan Club!
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #38,807 of 65,587
Thanks.
I was mostly curious about their sound because I had tried the Ear-Zonk vinyl pads on my 325is and took them off in less than 30sec...they totally destroyed the Grado sound. This doesn't mean the same goes for the pads we're talking about, though, so that's why I ask. How did you like them?
As one who didn't care much for the SR series (non-e versions) sound and comfort the Merino pads on these older original and "i" series changes the sound enough that I think many might actually like the sound and the comfort is quite a bit better than any S or L pad that I've tried to date. The pads came with two different foam inserts and while they both change the sound the open cell foam insert has much less influence in the sound and would be my preferred choice while those that want a warmer fuller sound will probably like the dense foam insert. With that said I still prefer G-pads but since my SR225e, SR60 and RS2e are modded the Merino pads don't quite work well with them making them all a bit to warm and killing some of the Grado "magic" that I like. I'm trying to get a friend to bring over her PS500 to see if the Merino pads are what they need since my listen with them left me unimpressed since the sound was thin and lacked any bass with highs that were a touch harsh/hot with some tracks.

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #38,809 of 65,587
If they cut out on you then a re-cable would be nice but I'd go a different way and make the cables detachable at the cups using SMC, 2.5mm or 3.5mm jacks. It will make it easier to change cables so you can easily change your cable in the future. I'd used SMC since the jacks are small and the connection is quite secure, like this on my RS2e:

I just got mine back from Custom Cans, nice cable, they also put the jacks on the old Grado cable as well so that works now. So when I use the balanced cable it's truly balanced, yes?

I am still trying to get my head around the fact that most balanced cables and amps have just one four pin XLR, it gets very confusing.

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #38,810 of 65,587
Benelux dealer made me an offer I couldn’t refuse and traded in my GH2 for.....the GS3000e :). Will most likely receive it end of next week and will let you know what I think. Blind purchase but none of my Grado cans disappointed me (and I still have the ps500 and GH1 for portable use).

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #38,811 of 65,587
I just got mine back from Custom Cans, nice cable, they also put the jacks on the old Grado cable as well so that works now. So when I use the balanced cable it's truly balanced, yes?

I am still trying to get my head around the fact that most balanced cables and amps have just one four pin XLR, it gets very confusing.
got any pictures of the new cable?
As for balanced jacks / cables there are different types: TRRS: 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 4.4mm (usually found in DAPs), XLR single 4 pin, XLR dual 3 pin, TR/TRS 6.3mm (full size amps)

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #38,812 of 65,587
Benelux dealer made me an offer I couldn’t refuse and traded in my GH2 for.....the GS3000e :). Will most likely receive it end of next week and will let you know what I think. Blind purchase but none of my Grado cans disappointed me (and I still have the ps500 and GH1 for portable use).

I'll be curious to hear your reaction. I don't think I will ever sell my GH2's, which is why I am thinking about having them modded. To me, they are lifers. But I suppose who knows for sure.

Shane D

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #38,814 of 65,587

That sounds like a really good offer... mind you, I haven't heard the GS3000e but they certainly are intriguing. Have you heard any of the Statement Series models before?

Looking forward to reading your impressions... congrats!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #38,815 of 65,587
got any pictures of the new cable?
As for balanced jacks / cables there are different types: TRRS: 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 4.4mm (usually found in DAPs), XLR single 4 pin, XLR dual 3 pin, TR/TRS 6.3mm (full size amps)

I would LOVE to have 3.5mm inputs and a 4.4mm connector so that I could use my balanced cable with my Sony DAP. I think that would be audio bliss. Made a very large difference with my Sony Z7's.

Shane D

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #38,816 of 65,587
I would LOVE to have 3.5mm inputs and a 4.4mm connector so that I could use my balanced cable with my Sony DAP. I think that would be audio bliss. Made a very large difference with my Sony Z7's.

Shane D
Did you mod your Grado to have removable cables? and if you did what are the connectors at the cup end?
Here is a suggestion if you have a few different headphones and a few different DAPs/amps with various balanced or SE output.
1. Wire all your headphones to a balanced connector (4pin XLR)
2. Make a adapters:
a. 4pin XLR to 6.3mm/3.5mm SE
b. 4pin XLR to 2.5mm, 3.5mm or 4.4mm balanced (based on what you need here)
This way you can use any headphone on any amp type of output.

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #38,817 of 65,587
Did you mod your Grado to have removable cables? and if you did what are the connectors at the cup end?
Here is a suggestion if you have a few different headphones and a few different DAPs/amps with various balanced or SE output.
1. Wire all your headphones to a balanced connector (4pin XLR)
2. Make a adapters:
a. 4pin XLR to 6.3mm/3.5mm SE
b. 4pin XLR to 2.5mm, 3.5mm or 4.4mm balanced (based on what you need here)
This way you can use any headphone on any amp type of output.

I have not had my Grado's modified yet. My DAP does have a balanced output via a 4.4mm connector.

Is 3.5mm connectors on the cups tricky or not recommended? My Sony and my Meze will work work with that configuration, although the Meze needs slimmer 3.5mm connectors for the headphones.

Shane D

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #38,818 of 65,587
I have not had my Grado's modified yet. My DAP does have a balanced output via a 4.4mm connector.

Is 3.5mm connectors on the cups tricky or not recommended? My Sony and my Meze will work work with that configuration, although the Meze needs slimmer 3.5mm connectors for the headphones.

Shane D

i don't think it's tricky,few people already mod their grado like that but i'm not sure how reliable for the connector though, how long the trs connector female plug going to lose the grip

moon audio use this connector, looks great but that connector really pricey
grado_gs1000_custom_hack_1.jpg

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #38,819 of 65,587
i don't think it's tricky,few people already mod their grado like that but i'm not sure how reliable for the connector though, how long the trs connector female plug going to lose the grip

moon audio use this connector, looks great but that connector really pricey
grado_gs1000_custom_hack_1.jpg

It looks good. I would probably go with whatever is stronger. I would only use the Grado's at home with my DAP.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #38,820 of 65,587
That sounds like a really good offer... mind you, I haven't heard the GS3000e but they certainly are intriguing. Have you heard any of the Statement Series models before?

Looking forward to reading your impressions... congrats!

Haven’t heard any GS series (did listen to the ps2000e at home....amazing but way too expensive here). If it takes the qualities of the GH2 to the next level I’ll be very happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back