Grado Fan Club!
Oct 17, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #38,791 of 65,536
I washed my decades-old Grado SR60 pads a few months ago in dish soap and water, rung them out gently by hand and let them air dry. No harm, they look just like they did before the wash.
which pad? the flat pad or s-cush? my guess is s-cush wouldn't be problem because of the texture pretty much all the same through out the whole pad also it's soft, so maybe that's the reason the pad still intact. but with flat pad and L-cush, from my experience those two fell apart when i washed them after 4-5 years using it

Oct 17, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #38,792 of 65,536
[QUYOTE="ruhenheiM, post: 14544963, member: 167811"]which pad? the flat pad or s-cush? my guess is s-cush wouldn't be problem because of the texture pretty much all the same through out the whole pad also it's soft, so maybe that's the reason the pad still intact. but with flat pad and L-cush, from my experience those two fell apart when i washed them after 4-5 years using it[/QUOTE]
which pad? the flat pad or s-cush? my guess is s-cush
Yes, S-cush. Regardless, washing is worthwhile for used headphones. Even if they don't survive, replacements are readily available.

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #38,793 of 65,536
LOL! Ain't that the truth. That goes for headphones too, some people hate Grado HP's.

What pads do you like better? (I'm not interested in exotics). The low cost of the WinnerEco is conducive to mods. Maybe you'd prefer a spacer to move the drivers further from your ears?
With my RS2e and SR225e (both slightly modded) it generic G-pads for me, my old SR60 (modded) it Grado L-pads, not very comfortable but damn it makes them come alive. I've been spending some time with some ear pads from Beautiful Audio (Merino pads) and while it more comfortable than stock Grado L-pads it does change the sound a bit and with my modded SR225e and RS2e it makes the sound way too warm but I can see them being great for un-modded SR series (original and "I" series) since it will take of the sharp treble edge, bring up some bass and its way more comfortable to me but they are a bit higher priced so its something to consider. If you want to hear more about these pads there is a thread started by @Geezer Rock 001 who was nice enough to let me demo them and you can find a few more impressions here.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #38,796 of 65,536
What would happen if you placed a thin soft cotton fabric over the original Grado L pads? Big audio change or maybe not too intrusive on sonic properties?
I know I've tried it before but I honestly don't remember the outcome. I think what I used might of been scratchy feeling that I dismissed it.
You could try a piece of Merino wool like the BA pads, it's very comfortable and breathable.

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #38,797 of 65,536
What would happen if you placed a thin soft cotton fabric over the original Grado L pads? Big audio change or maybe not too intrusive on sonic properties?

Been experimenting with some pad modifications. Thin cotton didn't do much (to me) audio wise, BUT, unless you use high thread count it's kind of scratchy. Additionally, Cotton stretches a lot so the cover got wrinkly with use. When I made the cover a lot tighter to compress the foam, so it would remain taut after stretching, there were more significant changes in audio. I believe the changes are mostly due to the changes in the way the headphones fit around my ears and relative driver placement, not the cover/pads acoustic properties.

Personally, I have preferred the result from a good quality light wool fabric. If you pre-stretch it, it doesn't wrinkle and I think the impact to the sound of my 325s is a net positive. It seems more smooth and the treble is less harsh overall. There is some measure of BS there as I don't have any way to blind test myself, so it might just be I think they sound better because they are more comfortable. Wool is nice and comfy as long as you don't naturally run warm. :)

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #38,799 of 65,536
I have a pair of the GW100. They sound fantastic to me. Anyone know if the ear cushions are replaceable? I’m looking to get some different colors.

Pretty sure they use the same foam pads as the SR60e, SR80e and SR125e, and in general pads across the Grado Prestige line (including the L cushions that come with the 225e and 325e stock) are interchangeable, I'd be surprised if the GW100 doesn't use the same compatible ear pad design.

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #38,800 of 65,536
509B625A-63B0-4882-AA23-1C20101C9A51.jpeg Enjoying some GH2 time with beautifulaudio headband and hybrid pads :)

Oct 20, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #38,802 of 65,536
Who makes the hybrid pads and what are they made from.
Also, how did they change the sound compared to the stock L cushions?

These are made by https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/ and are leather on the outside and merino wool on the inside. They come with 2 different foam inserts and I prefer the reticulated foam which is very close to the original sound. I actually prefer these pads to the original L due to added comfort but also because these are ‘over ears’ so there is no sound leakage. May sound a little bit warmer then stock L but Grado spark is still there.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #38,804 of 65,536
A little more info on the Beautiful Audio ear pads can be found here, a big thanks to @Geezer Rock 001 for letting me audition them.
Thanks.
I was mostly curious about their sound because I had tried the Ear-Zonk vinyl pads on my 325is and took them off in less than 30sec...they totally destroyed the Grado sound. This doesn't mean the same goes for the pads we're talking about, though, so that's why I ask. How did you like them?

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #38,805 of 65,536
Has anyone listened with the new GS3000e? Are the new set of 'phones basically a GS2000 with cocobolo wood?

The Grado web site shows matching specs for both models and it's a lot for just a change in wood (+400.00 $US).

Sorry... I am just bumping this. I there anyone on here that has auditioned the GS3000e? I am very curious and the reviews I've read are pretty vacuous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back