++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #20,761 of 29,490
Quote:
I've read the foums a long time, never really posted..

I'm getting dissapointed. I can't seem to find a headphone worth purchasing. I've demoed alot now, and just can't seem to want to keep them for what I paid. I have yet to of been wowed. Here is my current dilema.

Currently all I use headphones are for gaming, but I listen to music 24/7 when I game. I currently run Sennheiser PC350 with the bass mod to open them up, and increase the bass. They are powered through a X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium HD (Not the THX Dolby Version this is the older one with just CMSS3D and Audio Creation Mode).

I have had the PC350s for a long time, and they are simply outstanding. But I almost have to wonder if my listening has adjusted to them since I have been using them for so long and tainted my audiophile taste. I am big into audio, as I run a HT with elemental Design speakers. And my PC Speaker set up is powered from an H/k receiver with eDs as well. But since I don't use them often, I much prefer the headphones.

Anyways my likes are tinny sounds, I much prefer titanium tweaters over silk, or cloth. The warm sounds are nice, but I much prefer the detailed sound from the titanium style. I also prefer clean bass. But I like it to be present as well. This seems to be the biggest problem I've had so far, I can't find any headphone with a nice, clean, tight bass that still represents itself. When it is tight, it's weak. When it's loose, it's distored. And this is my problem.

This is what I've tried thus far.
Audio Technica 900x (There was no bass, very weak in comparison to the HKG k550s, and the comfortabillity with the top pads, was just odd).

Logitech UE 6000 (Bass was not smooth, or tight, completely over powering and overblown when you had the power mode on, and too little base, and mids seemd to diminish with it in passive mode). Pads were also too small, and depth made my ear touch the screen.

BeyerDynamic DT770 80Ohm-
These represented music very well, were detailed. I actually probably need to try these again as I tried them in store off my phone with no amp. Maybe the needed to be amped. Again, the wow factor wasn't there. Bass was nice, mids were great. But I felt the sounstage, and detail was lacking.

HKG K550 (This was so far my best test. I actually almost walked out with them escpecially since Best Buy had them on sale for $249.99. But the issue was, the price tag just didn't wow me for what I was getting over the PC350s. They were very detailed, and bass was clean. But it just wasn't enough. Mids felt weak, and the bass, while tight and clean didn't present itself strong enough). However, these were incredibly comfortable.

Sennheiser 558, well. These are practically the PC350s with the bass mod. Granted the PC350s bass sounded less destored, and more presented.

Music I listen to is Electro, house, trance, Alternative, rock, and pop. Help me find my next headphone! I'm depressed I've had these PC350s so long and can't replace them!!!!

buy denon's old model or save for the ah-d600.  or get the akg q701's and price match them at best buy they just lack good bass but amazing for gaming in every other aspect.

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #20,762 of 29,490
I've read the foums a long time, never really posted..

I'm getting dissapointed. I can't seem to find a headphone worth purchasing. I've demoed alot now, and just can't seem to want to keep them for what I paid. I have yet to of been wowed. Here is my current dilema.

Currently all I use headphones are for gaming, but I listen to music 24/7 when I game. I currently run Sennheiser PC350 with the bass mod to open them up, and increase the bass. They are powered through a X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium HD (Not the THX Dolby Version this is the older one with just CMSS3D and Audio Creation Mode).

I have had the PC350s for a long time, and they are simply outstanding. But I almost have to wonder if my listening has adjusted to them since I have been using them for so long and tainted my audiophile taste. I am big into audio, as I run a HT with elemental Design speakers. And my PC Speaker set up is powered from an H/k receiver with eDs as well. But since I don't use them often, I much prefer the headphones.

Anyways my likes are tinny sounds, I much prefer titanium tweaters over silk, or cloth. The warm sounds are nice, but I much prefer the detailed sound from the titanium style. I also prefer clean bass. But I like it to be present as well. This seems to be the biggest problem I've had so far, I can't find any headphone with a nice, clean, tight bass that still represents itself. When it is tight, it's weak. When it's loose, it's distored. And this is my problem.

Sounds like you need to check out some ultrasone cans. I'd recommend some pro 2900's, or if your budget allows for it a pair of sig pros.
Both are extremely easy to drive.
The 2900's have excellent bass and in my opinion they are a perfect headphone for the money.
Excellent build quality, ultra comfortable, and just plain fun.

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #20,763 of 29,490
Hi guys, and girls, i'm new to the forum, this is my firts post, but i'm always reading the topics here. I want to buy an headphone to use with my ipod Classic. I listen to every kind of music. I had a Sennheiser HD205, and use a Turttle Beach X12 on Xbox.

I want your advice on which headphone to buy. I live in Brazil, so headphones are a little salty here (a beat's pro for example, cost around 1.1K U$D). I want something in the price range of 100-200 U$D. My thoughts so far are:

Audio Technica ATHM50
Shure SRH840
Shure SRH750DJ

Thanks

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #20,764 of 29,490
[size=small] I want an all-rounder (every type of music), relatively balanced (I like high treb and moderate to high bass) with good clarity[/size]

[size=small] I don't really care if they're open or closed (circumaural, I wear headphones for hours on end)[/size]

[size=small] I won't ever be using these away from my computer, so no portability/amp required[/size]

[size=small] p.s. I have a slightly smaller than average head[/size]

[size=small] price range ~175 USD[/size]

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #20,765 of 29,490
What did you like about the M50 and what makes you want to upgrade?
What will they be used for (gaming, movies, music, portable)?
What genres of music do you listen to primarily?
Are you ok with open cans or do you only want closed?
Any preferred sound signature (Emphasis on any particular part of the sound spectrum)?

1. The M50s is a good balanced headphone. Good for entry level users to hear what good sound is like. The M50s got me hooked into the audio world now and I want to experience more with different pairs. The M50s made me never want to look back at the quality of sound that I've been experiencing for all these years. For me, the M50s set the new standard line of sound quality.

2. I will use them primarily for music.

3. I listen to pretty much everything besides metal and country. Though I mainly listen to rock, hip hop, and electro.

4. It doesn't matter

5. A little more bass would be nice.

Originally, I was going to get a pair of ATH-A700s as my first audiophile headphones but I went with the M50s because it seemed that it was a little better overall than the 700s. At the same time as I was doing my research, I saw that AT was releasing a revised version of the ATH-700s and 900s. That's also the reason why I had went with the M50s first.

Since now I have a general idea of what to expect, I want to go for a pair of ATH-900x. Mainly due to a larger soundstage.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #20,766 of 29,490
Alright guys, looking for an upgrade over my M50s for around $300. I listen to nearly all musical genres. I am not really that interested in "bassy" headphones as I tried the Denon 2000s and absolutely hated them. They felt incredibly flat to me and the bass just felt too forced over everything else. I enjoy a good overall, detailed sound but also enjoy them to be relatively loud as well.

I have been looking at the Beyer 880s and AKG550s or even something cheaper like the HD598s. I am also not really picky on whether they are open or closed as well. 

Any recommendations out of these three or perhaps something else?

I also do not have any sort of DAC or amplifier at the moment. 

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #20,767 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright guys, looking for an upgrade over my M50s for around $300. I listen to nearly all musical genres. I am not really that interested in "bassy" headphones as I tried the Denon 2000s and absolutely hated them. They felt incredibly flat to me and the bass just felt too forced over everything else. I enjoy a good overall, detailed sound but also enjoy them to be relatively loud as well.

I have been looking at the Beyer 880s and AKG550s or even something cheaper like the HD598s. I am also not really picky on whether they are open or closed as well. 

Any recommendations out of these three or perhaps something else?

I also do not have any sort of DAC or amplifier at the moment. 

By flat, I'm assuming you mean too laid back for your taste? I've owned the D2000 and didn't like it much for the same reasons. I think that the DT 880 (quite neutral) or a Grado SR225 or SR325 (more aggressive) would be closer to your sound preferences. You should pair the Beyers with a good budget dac/amp for best results. I've had good results with the NFB-12 and HUD-MX1.

For another $100 or so used, I think that the ATH-AD2000 or ATH-AD1000PRM would be perfect for you. They are fast and detailed headphones with plenty of air but not much bass impact. I really like the forward upper mids on my AD1000PRM for acoustic music. They also play very loud out of any portable since they are about as sensitive as the average iem.

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #20,768 of 29,490
I had Grado RS-1 with a Millet Hybrid Max amp. Due to comfort issues and the fact that they seemed to excel in music played with instruments I moved on and got a pair of Darth Beyers (still the same amp). These days I mostly listen to electronic music (psytrance, ambient, downtempo, ebm/industrial etc) plus some metal.

While I'm fairly happy with my current setup, I guess I just want to try something new. I'm something of a bass head and the Audeze LCD-2 certainly seems interesting.. but it's beyond my budget even used. Hifiman HE-500 might be doable, but tentatively my max budget is 400eur/~520usd. Electrostatics are one possible direction, but the bass might not be enough for me (and they tend to be on the expensive side, especially if you need a separate amp). I enjoyed the RS-1's tight bass, but these days I tend to prefer more of it. I'm interested in any thoughts you guys might have.

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #20,769 of 29,490
I had Grado RS-1 with a Millet Hybrid Max amp. Due to comfort issues and the fact that they seemed to excel in music played with instruments I moved on and got a pair of Darth Beyers (still the same amp). These days I mostly listen to electronic music (psytrance, ambient, downtempo, ebm/industrial etc) plus some metal.

While I'm fairly happy with my current setup, I guess I just want to try something new. I'm something of a bass head and the Audeze LCD-2 certainly seems interesting.. but it's beyond my budget even used. Hifiman HE-500 might be doable, but tentatively my max budget is 400eur/~520usd. Electrostatics are one possible direction, but the bass might not be enough for me (and they tend to be on the expensive side, especially if you need a separate amp). I enjoyed the RS-1's tight bass, but these days I tend to prefer more of it. I'm interested in any thoughts you guys might have.

Electrostats can be the **** for electronic and metal. Extremely clean and punchy. Depends on your bass preferences though. Anyway when I had a pair of Stax Lambda Pros they were by far the best metal cans I've ever heard.

Oct 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #20,770 of 29,490
I've been looking to buy some headphones and have been doing some extensive research on some products I'm interested in. I am by no means an audiophile, but would like some good headphones, with good sound, good comfort (especially since I wear glasses), durable, that won't break the bank.

The ones I've been most interested in are Creative Aurvana Live!. They seem like good headphones, but I'd like to hear some testimonials from people about them before I buy them. Are they as comfortable as people say they are? Are they good for glasses wearers? Are they good at blocking out ambient noise?  Are they durable?

Creative Aurvana Live! : $60

I've also looked at Urbanears line of headphones, mainly the Plattan and the Zinken. I like that they fold, but I hear that the Plattan is an on-ear, as opposed to an over ear headphone, and that makes me wonder comfort-wise. I've not seen too much about the Zinken as far as comfort and how they feel for glasses wearers, but I love the color choices and would love to hear more about them. They are a little more expensive than I'd like to spend, so I need to hear some VERY good things about them to sway me.

Plattan : $60
Zinken : $140

Another type of headphones I was looking into are the Bose AE2 headphones, these are very expensive for me anyway, but would I be getting what I'm paying for, is it definately worth it? Good for glasses wearers?

Bose AE2 : $150

I'd like to hear more about headphones that have color choices. This is by no means a determining factor in whether or not I buy a headphone, but if I can find a good quality, comfortable, colorful headset that won't break the bank, this may have to be my new choice.

I've never actually bought a pair of headphones that are remotely close to being high-end, so this all new to me so please excuse the ignorance on my part. O:

My main uses for the headphones are music and video game playing on my laptop. :) If this makes a difference.

o2smile.gif

Thanks ahead of time. ^^

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #20,771 of 29,490
Quote:
I will have to think about a balanced amp. First I need to get a headphone that deserves a balanced cable; like a sennheiser HD600.

The NFB 17+NFB 6 combo is amazing.
I love it!
Like Steve said, the output out on the nFB6 is significantly better than the usual single ended. Yet, the se is also great - much better than (for example) the Schiit Asgard I had previously.

However, if the price is too steep, I'd try going with the NFB10 DAC+Amp combo for $550:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB-10.1/NFB10.1EN.htm

If it is any good as it's brothers, is definately a bang for the buck

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #20,772 of 29,490
Quote:

The NFB 17+NFB 6 combo is amazing.
I love it!
Like Steve said, the output out on the nFB6 is significantly better than the usual single ended. Yet, the se is also great - much better than (for example) the Schiit Asgard I had previously.

However, if the price is too steep, I'd try going with the NFB10 DAC+Amp combo for $550:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB-10.1/NFB10.1EN.htm

If it is any good as it's brothers, is definately a bang for the buck

I'll probably get the 17 in a year and the 6 in 2 years/ or never
tongue.gif
. I really want to focus on headphones and regular amps/DACs right now and I think i'll just try to collect as many headphones as I can until I can get some more money.

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #20,773 of 29,490
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #20,775 of 29,490
Quote:
I hope I am asking in the right place... I have a friend who is working out in Japan for the next few months and he told me there are a few cool headphone shops. I'm after a protable pair of on ears up to 150$, anything over there that we can get in the UK/US? Thanks in advance peeps!

Can anyone help me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back