++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 26, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #20,626 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi Head-Fi'ers,
I posted this up on reddit/r/headphones the past week and wanted to get a second opinion.
I'm looking to get my first set of serious cans for listening to music on my PC. I'm currently using Panasonic RP-HTX7's and have grown accustomed to closed full headphones.
I listen to a lot of electronica (specifically dnb, glitch/ambient, trip-hop and trance, amongst others), some punk/metal, a bit of hip-hop as well as the odd bit of classical/orchestral. http://www.last.fm/user/ambientmf <-- Last.fm profile. I do know that this is a wide-range and I probably won't be able to get headphones that cover everything...No problem. 90% of my music is lossless FLAC. I do game occasionally and don't mind using my Panasonic for that.

So, here are the headphones I was thinking about picking up. My budget is $200 CAD.

1. Ultrasone HFI-780 (can get this from B&H for $190ish shipped to me in Canada)
  2. Beyerdynamic DT770 250-ohm (80-ohm version is $20 more at a local place which would be breaking my budget a bit after taxes)
  3. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (I like the bass selection but not sure if it's worth $200. This just comes in my budget if I get this at headphonebar in Canada, otherwise it's a bit out of my price range)

Those are the only 2-3 I'm looking at right now. If anyone has any better suggestions, please let me know. Price and availability in Canada kind of limits me too, just FYI. Phones like the ATH-M50's amongst others were not considered due to the (high) price and (lack of) availability up here. Thanks

I have the M50 and the 780, and I think the 780 is a little bit better headphone, especially for EDM.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #20,627 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello.
I've done a fair bit of research on this website and other sources and came to a conclusion of what kind of headphones i'd like to get.
I want another opinion from you based on the info i'll provide.

Currently I'm listening to everything on a hifi with 2 50W speakers which im fully satisfied with but now i'm going to university and decided on getting some quality headphones.

I'll be using them on a laptop with the standard soundcard and don't need portability.
I've decided on full sized open ear headphones and am aware of the sound leaking.
Although i want an allarounder the music genres I spend most of my time listening to are:
Trance, (progressive) House, Drum and bass, classic dubstep, ambient, and sometimes progressive metal.

Based on those factors i've come to a conclusion of getting 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro with the JDS Objective2 amplifier (195$ for headphones and 140$ for the amp).

I want to hear your opinion on this choice and welcome a different recommendation for both headphones and desktop amp at a similar price.

Thank you in advance.

Another possibility is to try the DT990s 250 ohms with the FiiO E17 as it doubles up as a DAC when used with a computer/Laptop.
I've got this as my current setup and I love it. The features on the E17 are great and it falls just within your amp budget.

Hope this Helps

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #20,628 of 29,490
I want to get something nice for my girlfriend.
Looking to spend about $100.
It's mostly for home use.
She listens to a lot of musicals (so something that has a nice emphasis on vocals).
I can get an amp.
Preferably over ear since she's uncertain of her compatibility with on/in ear.

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #20,629 of 29,490
Quote:
I want to get something nice for my girlfriend.
Looking to spend about $100.
It's mostly for home use.
She listens to a lot of musicals (so something that has a nice emphasis on vocals).
I can get an amp.
Preferably over ear since she's uncertain of her compatibility with on/in ear.

Have you let her try your Grados? SR80i fits your budget. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #20,631 of 29,490
Hello, im new and i think my question goes here. im gonna buy a gaming headset and im thinking of getting the sennheiser pc 360, but i dont know if i should wait for ces 2013 to see if there would be a pc 370 or a revised version of the pc 360, what do you guys think? :D :)

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #20,632 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, im new and i think my question goes here. im gonna buy a gaming headset and im thinking of getting the sennheiser pc 360, but i dont know if i should wait for ces 2013 to see if there would be a pc 370 or a revised version of the pc 360, what do you guys think?
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

The PC360 is currently the best gaming headset on the market, so if you plan on getting a headset as soon as possible, that's the one to get. Since there are no news regarding a newer model and due to the headset performance, I think you would do good to get them.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #20,637 of 29,490
Quote:
Bassy cans and jazz do not mix well.  Without an amp, the Shure SRH 840, which still gives you a mid bass hump, might be right for you.

Is there an alternative for the SRH840  ?
i read the reviews and it seems to be rather heavy and lots of people complain when wearing for a long period of time
i want it to be comfortable as well as durable, detailed with good sound stage and slight bass emphasis.

i was thinking about ue6000/ vmoda lp2 / m-100 / beyerdynamic custom one pro but i don't know which would have the most bang for buck

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #20,638 of 29,490
The grados are long gone. The only ones she's tried are the HD800 and LCD2r1.
I'm not sure she'd like grados... Though she hasn't narrowed her tastes yet =/
I'll keep the grados in mind.

so she's tried $1,000+ headphones and you have a budget of around $100. Based on the desire for vocals, a grado could do well, and I like my 555s for more vocal or folk. Hope that helps. She should really audition some stuff though.

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #20,639 of 29,490
OK so I have a budget of 0-450 US and I want noise cancellation for the school bus and sometimes for airplanes, it would be nice if it had Bluetooth (not that important) and I want GREAT sound.I listen to Green Day, Dubstep, and Electro.
I currently have the Bose AE2i.
Please help.

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #20,640 of 29,490
OK so I have a budget of 0-450 US and I want noise cancellation for the school bus and sometimes for airplanes, it would be nice if it had Bluetooth (not that important) and I want a GREAT sound.
I currently have the Bose AE2i.
Please help.

This headphone has pretty much everything you are asking for. Should be a pretty drastic improvement in sound quality over those AE2i.

http://ue.logitech.com/en-us/headphones/ue9000

Another headphone that fits is the Sennheiser MM550 which is available refurbished if you search. Pricey new.

Personally I would just get some in ear headphones with good foam tips that seal off the outside noise. That's called isolation.

The Westone 4, Shure 535, Heir 4ai, and the new UE900 are ALL going to sound great and you will be VERY happy. You should just read reviews for each one and see which one seems to match the sound you would like most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back