++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 1, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #18,631 of 29,490
Hello, i'm new here. After reading some guides, i've found out about these 3 headphones, but i can't decide which one to buy. Help appreciated.

Samson RH600, 50 euro
Grado SR-80i, 66 euro
Audio Technica ATH-AD700, 100 euro

I listen to rock/metal. Flac audio.
I play Quake Live a lot, sometimes CS 1.6.

roughly 60% music and 40% gaming

Now, i've been told that the RH600 is great for gaming and rock.

People at Head-Fi say that the Grado is the best thing ever for rock/metal, but are bad for gaming. How much do they differ from each other for music?

The AD700s are beloved here. Excellent for gaming. How do they sound for rock/metal for the price?

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #18,632 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks! I'd like to keep the awesome mid range of the SR80i's but from what I've read, the Grado SR80i's don't benefit from the addition of an amp? Can anyone comment on this or give me any more suggestions?

That's correct.  Save the amp money and put it in the bank toward a 225i.

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #18,633 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, i'm new here. After reading some guides, i've found out about these 3 headphones, but i can't decide which one to buy. Help appreciated.

Samson RH600, 50 euro
Grado SR-80i, 66 euro
Audio Technica ATH-AD700, 100 euro

I listen to rock/metal. Flac audio.
I play Quake Live a lot, sometimes CS 1.6.

roughly 60% music and 40% gaming

Now, i've been told that the RH600 is great for gaming and rock.

People at Head-Fi say that the Grado is the best thing ever for rock/metal, but are bad for gaming. How much do they differ from each other for music?

The AD700s are beloved here. Excellent for gaming. How do they sound for rock/metal for the price?

All of them are compromises.

The Grado is not good for gaming.

The Samson is the best value.

The AT is good but bass light--even for non-bassheads.

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #18,634 of 29,490
Quote:
All of them are compromises.

The Grado is not good for gaming.

The Samson is the best value.

The AT is good but bass light--even for non-bassheads.

How much does the Samson differ from the others in terms of quality? I might buy the Samson, or save up.

I might consider the Grado if they are that excellent for rock/metal.

Edit: What do you mean by compromises?

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #18,635 of 29,490
Quote:
How much does the Samson differ from the others in terms of quality? I might buy the Samson, or save up.

Edit: What do you mean by compromises?

I mean that none of these three cans is very good to excellent for your intended uses.  To get there you need to increase your budget and read the gaming guide that is linked in the first post of this thread.

What I mean is the Samson is one of best $50 cans you can buy.  Some people may prefer its sound signature over the AT and vise versa.  AT's build quality is a little better.

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #18,636 of 29,490
Ok, i'v tried this once before (in an own thread, which didn't give me any aswers) but which one of these cans would meet my needs the best.
I need to buy new headphones (to replace my CX 150 IEMs) as they aren't cutting it for me anymore.
The type of music i listen to is mainly Electronic/Trance/DnB/Dubstep/Vocaloid and some (j)pop and classical, and i'm going to use the phones mainly with my 2g touch while on the go.
(also i want a comfortable pair)

So these are the 3 contenders that i have:

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (70 ohm) 

V-moda Crossfade M-80 (28,5 ohm)

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro LE (32 ohm) 
Each one of these are at 190€

And thanks 
wink.gif

Edit: sorry, just read the first post 
rolleyes.gif
, and it seems that this post doesn't belong here (except for the DT 770s)

I tried to get an answer on the "right" sub forum? and didn't get anything. So i'll still leave this here (already breaking the rules, i know...)

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #18,637 of 29,490
figured i'd post this here, might get some more eyes on it.

so i was thinking of getting some sub 30-40 dollar headphones just to have that i can throw around and use. i know the HA-RX 700 gets lots and lots of praise in this price range. but just how much better are those than the 300's? i actually think the 300's look better and possibly maybe smaller than the 700's? i'm sure they don't sound better than the 700's but thats to be expected. still these are only 14 dollars on amazon right now. i'm actually debating going for these instead of the 700's. is that crazy? granted i guess i could always grab the 700's now then even eventually pick up some 300's later or vice versa since they're both just budget headphones anyways. thoughts?

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #18,638 of 29,490
Quote:
figured i'd post this here, might get some more eyes on it.

so i was thinking of getting some sub 30-40 dollar headphones just to have that i can throw around and use. i know the HA-RX 700 gets lots and lots of praise in this price range. but just how much better are those than the 300's? i actually think the 300's look better and possibly maybe smaller than the 700's? i'm sure they don't sound better than the 700's but thats to be expected. still these are only 14 dollars on amazon right now. i'm actually debating going for these instead of the 700's. is that crazy? granted i guess i could always grab the 700's now then even eventually pick up some 300's later or vice versa since they're both just budget headphones anyways. thoughts?

No offense, but being conflicted over $14 headphones seems more than just a bit out of place at Head-Fi.  Just sayin'.

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #18,639 of 29,490
Quote:
No offense, but being conflicted over $14 headphones seems more than just a bit out of place at Head-Fi.  Just sayin'.

i'll edit...first whenever someone says "no offense, but..." means you're about to offend someone.

i will say this though. i get why it sounds kind of trivial to ask such a thing about lower end/budget headphones. after all, audiophiles and the hobby are expensive. i get it, i was actually in it for awhile. i have a pair of grado SR-80's and at one time had an amp and DAC. i eventually sold the amp and DAC. honestly why i did enjoy the amp/DAC (still enjoy the SR-80's) i had some other expenses that i needed money for and sold them. 

honestly, i found that maybe its not my type of hobby but do enjoy reading the forums still as there are great people and discussions that i do enjoy. reason i posted the question about the HARX-700 and HARX-300 is because i figured what better community to ask than the head-fi community. obviously with them being lower budget, maybe it simply doesn't matter, but worth a shot. i actually discovered both of those headphones while searching the forums before posting my question. i don't think there was anything wrong with my asking about either of them. yes, they aren't $200 headphones, so they won't be that great, i'm not expecting them too be. still is it really worth it to post that my question isn't even worthy of being discussed on the forums?

i mean headphones are headphones right? 

thats all i'll say. this post isnt meant to call you out really, if you feel that way, sorry. 

btw, i had some extra amazon gift cards hanging around and decided to use those to order the HARX300's, had enough it didnt even cost me a dime. pretty excited to get em and feel em out. might look into the HARX700's later down the road. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #18,640 of 29,490
Quotes:
Hey guys,
I'm looking for $200 or below serious listening headphone. I'm coming from a Bose QC15 which I plan to use for traveling only. My source is a iPod Touch 4 and no amp. Most of my music is 320,256 Kbps mp3 or 256kbps AAC and from many genres, though primarily pop or top iTunes songs.
All help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Portable: Eh, not too big of an issue. I'll use my NC Bose travel pair for out and about. 
Closed please. 
I would like some bass emphasis to really feel the beat and rhythm of songs. 

Beyerdynamic DT770: Looked at it, but the 80ohm model is a little hard to drive from my iPod. I can't seem to find the 32ohm version anywhere.  :frowning2:

HD25: Nah, I don't like any on-ear versions. I am only looking at over-ear (around-ear) headphones at the moment. 

ATH-M50: Heard a lot about them and was very interested. I was a little put off about the growing consensus of it being "not worth $160" and "there are better options available." 

Any help guys? 
I think there aren't any great options from Sennheiser at the sub-$200 price range. I discovered the Shure SRH840 which is looking appealing right now. Any input? 

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #18,641 of 29,490
Quote:

Any help guys? 
I think there aren't any great options from Sennheiser at the sub-$200 price range. I discovered the Shure SRH840 which is looking appealing right now. Any input? 

Denon D1100. Great bass response and very comfortable. I've tried/had all the headphones you've listed, and the D1100's are the ones I kept because of comfort and sound.

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #18,642 of 29,490
Quote:

Well, since there is nowhere around here to really try headphones other than BestBuy, I went nuts and ordered three pairs (lol) to demo via Amazon Saturday Prime: V900, M-50, and A700. I've been curious about the other two, so why not? Rationalized the extra shipping cost (and return shipping) as "entertainment" for the holiday weekend. Listening day will be Monday. I buy a lot through Amazon, so I don't think they'll give me a hard time for returning two pairs, although the danger is I'll keep two 
biggrin.gif

After getting them this morning and listening a couple of times, I already put the Sony MDR-V900HDs back in the box. Great highs and mids, but they are bass light. Might be suitable for someone that wants the bass response of a pair of bookshelf speakers that start rolling off at 100hz, but they don't work for me. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #18,643 of 29,490
Quote:

Any help guys? 

I don't know your genres, but the Shure SRH 840 (and the KRK KNS 8400) are excellent all arounders in the low $100 price range.

The Senn HD 518 is a very nice all rounder and the HD 558 even better, but they are both open.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #18,644 of 29,490
Quote:
I don't know your genres, but the Shure SRH 840 (and the KRK KNS 8400) are excellent all arounders in the low $100 price range.

The Senn HD 518 is a very nice all rounder and the HD 558 even better, but they are both open.

My genres are mostly from top iTunes (pop, hip-hop, R&B) but I also like classical, alternative, rock, and others. 

What I'm looking for is: 
- <$200
- Some bass emphasis but not too much of a V-shaped sound
- Easily driven (no amp) 
- Open/Closed are both fine 

Honestly, I think the ATH-M50 is pretty fitting for my requirements. But I'm hearing so much negativity around them and how there are much better options. I'm curious to know what these options are 
beyersmile.png

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #18,645 of 29,490
Quote:
My genres are mostly from top iTunes (pop, hip-hop, R&B) but I also like classical, alternative, rock, and others. 

What I'm looking for is: 
- <$200
- Some bass emphasis but not too much of a V-shaped sound
- Easily driven (no amp) 
- Open/Closed are both fine 

Honestly, I think the ATH-M50 is pretty fitting for my requirements. But I'm hearing so much negativity around them and how there are much better options. I'm curious to know what these options are 
beyersmile.png

The 840's have a mid bass hump, but that is often not enough extra bass for those who like bass heavy genres.  The other side of the coin is that the recessed mids of the M50 is bad for classical and not good for vocals and guitars in rock, etc.

The 840's are the best single closed can choice.  The bright and bassy Ultrasone HiFi 780 are another good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back