++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #18,646 of 29,490
Quote:
My genres are mostly from top iTunes (pop, hip-hop, R&B) but I also like classical, alternative, rock, and others. 

What I'm looking for is: 
- <$200
- Some bass emphasis but not too much of a V-shaped sound
- Easily driven (no amp) 
- Open/Closed are both fine 

Honestly, I think the ATH-M50 is pretty fitting for my requirements. But I'm hearing so much negativity around them and how there are much better options. I'm curious to know what these options are 
beyersmile.png

You don't want too much of a "V" shaped sound, yet that is what the M50 has. It will be a nice headphone, but as others mentioned, the Shure SRH840 will probably be a bit better of an all around headphone for you so that you can enjoy Top 40 type hits as well as the other genres. The 840 is balanced with a slight bump in the bass, which should suit your tastes well.

Ultimately though it is hard to truly know what you will think until you hear them yourselves.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #18,647 of 29,490
Quote:
The 840's have a mid bass hump, but that is often not enough extra bass for those who like bass heavy genres.  The other side of the coin is that the recessed mids of the M50 is bad for classical and not good for vocals and guitars in rock, etc.

The 840's are the best single closed can choice.  The bright and bassy Ultrasone HiFi 780 are another good option.

I'm going to pass on the Ultrasones. They tend to be rather harsh and sibilant, a quality I don't like. 

I've being going back and forth between the 840s and the M50s, unable to decide. Ultimately, unamped (I have no intention of using an amp) sound quality is a priority between choosing one of the two. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #18,648 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm going to pass on the Ultrasones. They tend to be rather harsh and sibilant, a quality I don't like. 

I've being going back and forth between the 840s and the M50s, unable to decide. Ultimately, unamped (I have no intention of using an amp) sound quality is a priority between choosing one of the two. 

You have the information on sound quality and signature.  [The 840 gives you a detachable cable and two extra ear pads that the M50 does not.]  It's your decision from here.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #18,649 of 29,490
Quote:
You have the information on sound quality and signature.  [The 840 gives you a detachable cable and two extra ear pads that the M50 does not.]  It's your decision from here.

Man, I really want to hear both for myself and see which one I like better. It's a shame there are no stores in my area where you can demo them, except for a Guitar Center that stocks both. Not sure if they'll let me demo them though. 

Do any of these two cans sound like true monitor headphones and allow you to hear every single thing separately? I heard this characteristic ruins it for some as it disallows "enjoyment" of the music. 
And also, what about comfort? 

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #18,651 of 29,490
Quote:
Buy one from Amazon and return it if you don't like it.

Great idea. 

A little worried though - hope I don't end up keeping both :p 

Thanks guys, I'll do a follow up soon.

I know the DT770 Pros are almost in the same price range, but the 80ohm version is hard to drive from an iPod (a no for the 32ohm one since it can't be bought from Amazon), so I'm guessing the 770s won't sound as good unamped as the 840s or the M50s? 

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #18,652 of 29,490
Quote:

Any help guys? 
I think there aren't any great options from Sennheiser at the sub-$200 price range. I discovered the Shure SRH840 which is looking appealing right now. Any input? 

There's hd 380 pro. A bit dull and boring sounding, and an edgy midrange sound. DT 770 have insane bass, and 32 ohm version is now in stock at BH. It is $249, but the 80 ohm version is actually very good running out of an iphone. The 80 ohm is $199. I love Ultrasone. HFI 580 ($189, but can be had for $120 at BH!) and PRO 900 ($330) are my favs. The 580 are another option. I have a full comparison of the Shure SRH line if you would like to read it. Look at SRH 750 DJ. I like em more than the 840 mainly because they are more fun, but the 840 are studio headphones, so it is close to colorless, except its mid bass boost.

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #18,653 of 29,490
Quote:
Great idea. 

A little worried though - hope I don't end up keeping both :p 

Thanks guys, I'll do a follow up soon.

I know the DT770 Pros are almost in the same price range, but the 80ohm version is hard to drive from an iPod (a no for the 32ohm one since it can't be bought from Amazon), so I'm guessing the 770s won't sound as good unamped as the 840s or the M50s? 

840 and m50 go louder overall, but the 770 80 ohm have much more bass impact, but mids and highs can get a bit muddy without an amp. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #18,654 of 29,490
Empire1

I don't have much experience but stay away from Senn, Grado or Audio-technica, some of them are good quality cans but also are expensive due to marketing reasons and other stuff. Consider AKG or Koss they are same good quality but less price... this is my personal opinion and it could be not true...

http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,id,2,nodeid,2,pcategory,33,_language,EN,country,ENUS.html 

Good Luck

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #18,655 of 29,490
Quote:

I've just been demoing the M50s (see my recent post in this thread earlier this weekend). To me, so far the M50 is slightly colder, brighter than the HFI-780. I don't see how the M50s could be less harsh than the 780s (which I don't find harsh now that they are broken in for over 100 hours).  While the jury is still out because the M50s need to burn in a lot more, I suspect that they will be more fatiguing in terms of treble. And so far, the 780 seems the better all around headphone to me by an easy margin. 

And I agree with hipster 2010. Narrow it down to 2 pairs and buy both from Amazon. Start 'em both burning in right away. Then after you have had a chance to listen to both, send one back. Return shipping won't be that high for a set of headphones, and you'll better avoid buyer's remorse. 

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #18,656 of 29,490
@Lumos

Well.. i have to disagree with you for some reason, the 840 and m50 is pretty good deal for empire1, have you ever try to audition the 840, or the m50 before?
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 for hipster2010

@Empire1 add the ms1i to your list
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #18,657 of 29,490
Quote:
Empire1

I don't have much experience but stay away from Senn, Grado or Audio-technica, some of them are good quality cans but also are expensive due to marketing reasons and other stuff. Consider AKG or Koss they are same good quality but less price... this is my personal opinion and it could be not true...

http://www.akg.com/site/powerslave,id,2,nodeid,2,pcategory,33,_language,EN,country,ENUS.html 

Good Luck

Can't say that I agree across the board with regard to Senn, Grado and AT in the U.S. market.  Your point may be the most true with regard to the Senns, but a number of lower level cans appears to have been left off the MAP. 

The Grado SR 60i & 80i are some of the best cans for the money that you can find.  Your point is more valid as you head up line.

The AT's are all over the map and vary from time to time.  The M50 has been high and low priced.  Currently the ATH-AD700 is very attractively price at Amazon for $89 shipped.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #18,658 of 29,490
Quote:
@Lumos

Well.. i have to disagree with you for some reason, the 840 and m50 is pretty good deal for empire1, have you ever try to audition the 840, or the m50 before?
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 for hipster2010

@Empire1 add the ms1i to your list
biggrin.gif

The Alessandro MS1i is open.  So I don't think that it's in the running.  Plus it has less bass than both the Shure and AT.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #18,659 of 29,490
Quote:

The Alessandro MS1i is open.  So I don't think that it's in the running.  Plus it has less bass than both the Shure and AT.

if i'm not mistaken Empire1 doesn't have any problem for having an open back headphone.. CMIIW, i've been using the ms1i for handling my metal music for a couple month but in the end i want to try a different genres with my ms1i which is trance and i'm pretty suprised with the ms1i bass extention it can handle trance pretty good to my ear's, but i'm not a basshead also so perhaps i should ruled out the ms1i suggestion
biggrin.gif

Do apologize for misleading you Empire1
beerchug.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #18,660 of 29,490
Quote:
So, I'm in the market for some portable headphones, and I'm going to assume this thread is acceptable for this question.

I am not looking for IEM's and would be OK with full sized headphones as long as they fold up to some degree. Noise isolation is quite important as it will be used primarily on a bus and other means of travel. I own a Fiio E11 so impedance isn't a large issue.

- Price $200 or less (would jump to 250 if it would be really worth it)
- Primary music will be mostly house, trance and general electronic. So decent bass would be preferred
- Needs good isolation and portability

I unfortunately don't have the time to do much reading up but when i was looking at these types of headphones before the HD 25-1 ii's were a primary pick, but i am not sure if there is now better out there. I've also heard good things about the ultrasone's for my genre of music but am uncertain as to what one to look at.

Bumping for any additional input, looking to order some very shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back