++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 1, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #18,616 of 29,490

[size=1.7em]
Ultrasone HFI-780 vs Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO vs Shure SRH840 vs Sennheiser HD 558 vs VSonic GR07 MK2 vs Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10. For hearing metal( alternative, progressive, symphonic, death, hard rock, industrial, etc), electronic (house, trance, dubstep, progressive)??? (I am using Fiio E11 amp.)[/size]

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #18,617 of 29,490
I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff, but I have the HD 558 (haven't heard any of the others you've listed) and I'd have to say they aren't so great on bass, so the electronic stuff might not be very good on them. Overall though I love them :D

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #18,618 of 29,490
Quote:

If you want active noise cancelling then get the QC15. If you are open to passive isolation which is created by a closed headphone that creates a good seal on your ears to block out outside noise, then there are many options that will have much better sound quality. If you plan to use these mostly while in your room as opposed to flying on planes or public transit, then I would recommend you consider passive noise cancelling.

From your requirements it looks like your needs are:
Closed
Comfortable
Over-ear?
Portable/semi-portable
"V" shaped sound signature for electronic music (emphasis on bass and treble)

The things that would be helpful to know are:
How will you be using these? At a desk, for travel, etc
Do the headphones need to be able to fold up or fold flat?
What will you listen to these from? Laptop, iPod, DAC/amp
Will you purchase an amp if necessary?

If you can further elaborate on these than we may be able to give you some better recommendations.

Hi, thanks for your answer.
- In terms of time I will use them mostly at the desk but I always use them for travel (train travel, sometimes airplane).
- Well if I travel it is handy that they can be transported in some kind of case so I don't have to worry about them
- Listening would just be from my laptop and iphone so no specific amplifier things needed
- I would probably not purchase an amp, I think if it was necessary than I'd be going a bit overkill for my needs.

Again, I am grateful for your help and I hope these points can give a better view of what I'm looking for.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #18,619 of 29,490
Greeting

I am choosing between AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones and

AKG K142HD Studio High Definition Semi-Open Headphones (Mocca/Sand)

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K142HD-Definition-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B0028N78HA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=GETF3OMVUJS5&coliid=I2JV5AX9LSZ4J5
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Acoustics-K-240-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=GETF3OMVUJS5&coliid=I376Q008HC663H

Are they nearly same cans? but studio version could be more flat which is priority for me, I mainly listen non bass music. None of them are Austrian made unfortunately... by the way what is difference between ,,High-Definition'' lebeled and studio lebeled ones?

Please share your opinions/experience,   which one is more better?

Thanks

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #18,620 of 29,490
142 is ON-EAR......sits ON your ears..
.240 is CIRCUMAURAL..around your ears.

i much prefer curcumaural in general...more comfy...and maybe...maybe slightly bigger soundstage..not sure..
cos i havent heard both cans. :p

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #18,621 of 29,490
Hi! I need some help choosing a set of headphones.  I listen to pretty much only Hip-Hop and Rap and I plan to use these headphones in a home environment.  My budget is ~$200 and I currently already have a pair of Grado SR80i that I use, but I am looking for a more laid back sound (I like warm treble).  My brother has the ATH-M50 and I like the sound but I want I much more 'open' sound (I am currently considering the Sennheiser HD558).  I don't mind buying an amp if necessary (or if it will greatly increase the audio quality).  Thanks in advanced!!

EDIT: I will be listening on my iPhone 4S and all of my music is pretty much 320kbps mp3 (If anyone knows where to download lossless Hip-Hop/Rap it would be greatly appreciated), I do not have an amp at this time.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #18,622 of 29,490
Quote:

The two headphones I have in my desk drawer right now are the 780 and V900. Fantastic compliments to each other!

Aw well, you gotta get 'em fast. It's the only way. 

The mids on your 780 will sound hollow, thin and artificial by comparison. Beware!

Well, since there is nowhere around here to really try headphones other than BestBuy, I went nuts and ordered three pairs (lol) to demo via Amazon Saturday Prime: V900, M-50, and A700. I've been curious about the other two, so why not? Rationalized the extra shipping cost (and return shipping) as "entertainment" for the holiday weekend. Listening day will be Monday. I buy a lot through Amazon, so I don't think they'll give me a hard time for returning two pairs, although the danger is I'll keep two 
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #18,623 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi! I need some help choosing a set of headphones.  I listen to pretty much only Hip-Hop and Rap and I plan to use these headphones in a home environment.  My budget is ~$200 and I currently already have a pair of Grado SR80i that I use, but I am looking for a more laid back sound (I like warm treble).  My brother has the ATH-M50 and I like the sound but I want I much more 'open' sound (I am currently considering the Sennheiser HD558).  I don't mind buying an amp if necessary (or if it will greatly increase the audio quality).  Thanks in advanced!!

EDIT: I will be listening on my iPhone 4S and all of my music is pretty much 320kbps mp3 (If anyone knows where to download lossless Hip-Hop/Rap it would be greatly appreciated), I do not have an amp at this time.

Most good headphones these days need an amp cause the ohms it has. as for the price alot of the high priced headphones are more for reference like classical, jazz ,rock, people want those crisp, clean sounds. try some beyer, ultraones,  you said you like the ath-m50s just go for the upgrade http://www.amazon.com/Technica-Ath-Pro700Mk2-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B0046JS1IE/ref=sr_1_1

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #18,624 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I'm looking for $200 or below serious listening headphone. I'm coming from a Bose QC15 which I plan to use for traveling only. My source is a iPod Touch 4 and no amp. Most of my music is 320,256 Kbps mp3 or 256kbps AAC and from many genres, though primarily pop or top iTunes songs.

All help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #18,625 of 29,490
Hey guys,
I'm looking for $200 or below serious listening headphone. I'm coming from a Bose QC15 which I plan to use for traveling only. My source is a iPod Touch 4 and no amp. Most of my music is 320,256 Kbps mp3 or 256kbps AAC and from many genres, though primarily pop or top iTunes songs.
All help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Portable/non portable?
Open back or closed?
Bass lover yes no?
Any info on sound signature like u want something with forward mids, sparkly highs, etc.?

Assuming you want a closed can i can throw out a few models i personally like that will ALL sound better than the bose. Beyerdynamic dt770 (if u like bass), sennheiser hd 25-1 ii (portable), ath-m50 (good upgrade for 100 bucks on amazon). I recommend in that order. Many people here like the closed shure models but i dont have any.

Look em up in the reviews section.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #18,626 of 29,490
Ok... so I narrowed it down to a couple of headphone that I need some advice on which to buy.

Background:
  1. They must be closed (are going to be used in a close office environment)
  2. Soundsource: mainly Spotify (320 Kbps)
  3. Music genre: Jazz, classical, soundtrack and a bit of rock and electronic thrown in for good measure
  4. Amp/DAC: FiiO E10
  5. Current headphones: Denon AH-D750 (like them very very much, but they are breaking apart)

My budget allows me to consider the following headphones:
  1. Ultrasone PRO 750 (€ 244)
  2. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (€ 145)
  3. AKG K550 (€ 187)

I like a headphone with a wide frequency range (soundscape) and a solid bass)

So which should I go for? 

(or should I just break the bank and go for the new Denon AH-D600 (aprox € 400) ?

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #18,627 of 29,490
Quote:
Portable/non portable?
Open back or closed?
Bass lover yes no?
Any info on sound signature like u want something with forward mids, sparkly highs, etc.?
Assuming you want a closed can i can throw out a few models i personally like that will ALL sound better than the bose. Beyerdynamic dt770 (if u like bass), sennheiser hd 25-1 ii (portable), ath-m50 (good upgrade for 100 bucks on amazon). I recommend in that order. Many people here like the closed shure models but i dont have any.
Look em up in the reviews section.

Portable: Eh, not too big of an issue. I'll use my NC Bose travel pair for out and about. 
Closed please. 
I would like some bass emphasis to really feel the beat and rhythm of songs. 

Beyerdynamic DT770: Looked at it, but the 80ohm model is a little hard to drive from my iPod. I can't seem to find the 32ohm version anywhere.  :frowning2:

HD25: Nah, I don't like any on-ear versions. I am only looking at over-ear (around-ear) headphones at the moment. 

ATH-M50: Heard a lot about them and was very interested. I was a little put off about the growing consensus of it being "not worth $160" and "there are better options available." 

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #18,630 of 29,490
Hi there,

A couple days ago I started a new thread asking for some recommendations. I'm fairly new to Head-Fi and didn't know this thread existed. Since I didn't received many opinions, I'll post my question here to see if I have any better luck, thanks.

Currently I have a Clip + as my portable player, love the size and portability.
I've been thinking in getting an portable amp for it, I was planning to get either the Arrow or Slim for it, having in mind the portability.
After a while I decided I don't need something ultra portable since I don't need it while I'm walking/gym, only for when home/work use.
It doesn't need to be ultra portable like the SLIM, but still portable enough to carry everyday.

Having said that and after reading a bunch of reviews, I'm wondering if I should go for the Rx Mk3 or the Portaphile 627.
Or, third option, upgrade my player to the DX100?

This is the original link to that poll.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624934/rx-mk3-portaphile-627-or-dx100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back