++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 31, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #18,601 of 29,490
Looking for an upgrade for my Sony MDR-V6s. 

I've had them for about ten years, and decided it was time to get a couple new pairs of headphones (one for office/one for home). I recently got a pair of HFI-780s that I really like, but now I also want a pair that is much closer to what the MDR-V6s do, only more refined. The Shure SRH840 sounds like what I'm looking for in terms of sound, but I have an XXL hat size and apparently they aren't good for large heads. I was looking at the HM5/FA-003, but seems like it might be too neutral.

I really like how the MDR-V6 works for EDM (the tight bass and clarity of the highs, along with the balance of the overall frequency response), but I also listen to variety of rock genres, and occasionally some classic jazz/blues. I am also considering open phones. Budget is $150 to $200 (I could go a little above if convinced). I have a Fii0 E17 and Xonar Essence STX to play them with.

Any suggestions? 

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #18,602 of 29,490
Hi! I need some help choosing a set of headphones.  I listen to pretty much only Hip-Hop and Rap and I plan to use these headphones in a home environment.  My budget is ~$200 and I currently already have a pair of Grado SR80i that I use, but I am looking for a more laid back sound (I like warm treble).  My brother has the ATH-M50 and I like the sound but I want I much more 'open' sound (I am currently considering the Sennheiser HD558).  I don't mind buying an amp if necessary (or if it will greatly increase the audio quality).  Thanks in advanced!!

EDIT: I will be listening on my iPhone 4S and all of my music is pretty much 320kbps mp3 (If anyone knows where to download lossless Hip-Hop/Rap it would be greatly appreciated), I do not have an amp at this time.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #18,603 of 29,490
Hey! I'm looking for a good pair of closed over-ear headphones under $500. I listen to mostly hardcore/metal, but a lot of other genres as well and I listen on my 160GB iPod Classic (just AAC files), hopefully I'll be getting a Fiio E7 as an amp soon.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 558 and they're awesome! Just not good for on-the-go use seeing as their open, have a huge cable and bulky jack. So pretty much what I'm looking for is:

- Closed
- Over-ear
- Good for metal/hardcore
- Under $500
- Short cable
- Good for on-the-go

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #18,604 of 29,490
Diference between these?
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/heaphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-audio-headphone-amplifier/
http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full
Beter one?

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #18,605 of 29,490
Quote:
Diference between these?
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/heaphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-audio-headphone-amplifier/
http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full
Beter one?

The O2 is an open source amp, so they should be the same assuming those who assembled each one both know what they are doing. I think that epiphany is the company selling in Europe while JDSLabs is the one in the US.

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #18,606 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for an upgrade for my Sony MDR-V6s. 

I've had them for about ten years, and decided it was time to get a couple new pairs of headphones (one for office/one for home). I recently got a pair of HFI-780s that I really like, but now I also want a pair that is much closer to what the MDR-V6s do, only more refined. The Shure SRH840 sounds like what I'm looking for in terms of sound, but I have an XXL hat size and apparently they aren't good for large heads. I was looking at the HM5/FA-003, but seems like it might be too neutral.

I really like how the MDR-V6 works for EDM (the tight bass and clarity of the highs, along with the balance of the overall frequency response), but I also listen to variety of rock genres, and occasionally some classic jazz/blues. I am also considering open phones. Budget is $150 to $200 (I could go a little above if convinced). I have a Fii0 E17 and Xonar Essence STX to play them with.

Any suggestions? 

Cans that are within your budget that build on what the classic V6 does include: Shure SRH 840 & 940, Sony MDR 7510 & MDR-V900HD, KRK KNS 8400 and (open) Grado SR 225i.

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #18,607 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey! I'm looking for a good pair of closed over-ear headphones under $500. I listen to mostly hardcore/metal, but a lot of other genres as well and I listen on my 160GB iPod Classic (just AAC files), hopefully I'll be getting a Fiio E7 as an amp soon.

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 558 and they're awesome! Just not good for on-the-go use seeing as their open, have a huge cable and bulky jack. So pretty much what I'm looking for is:

- Closed
- Over-ear
- Good for metal/hardcore
- Under $500
- Short cable
- Good for on-the-go

Thanks!

Beyer DT 1350 if you are willing to go with on-ear or Beyer T 70 P (if you're willing to watch for sale or buy used).

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #18,608 of 29,490
Quote:
Cans that are within your budget that build on what the classic V6 does include: Shure SRH 840 & 940, Sony MDR 7510 & MDR-V900HD, KRK KNS 8400 and (open) Grado SR 225i.

Thanks! I'll give the V900s a try 
smile.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #18,609 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks! I'll give the V900s a try 
smile.gif

The V900's are a very sweet can, often overlooked around here. A decided and definite step up over V6/7506, tight clean bass, the best mids at that price-range bar-none, and sparkly sweet highs. Very clean, nice sounding headphone. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #18,611 of 29,490
Quote:

The V900's are a very sweet can, often overlooked around here. A decided and definite step up over V6/7506, tight clean bass, the best mids at that price-range bar-none, and sparkly sweet highs. Very clean, nice sounding headphone. 

That definitely sounds exactly what I want and a good contrast with the colored sound of the HFI-780. 

I don't know that I got the best price, though. I paid $8.99 for Amazon Prime Saturday shipping 
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #18,612 of 29,490
Quote:

That definitely sounds exactly what I want and a good contrast with the colored sound of the HFI-780. 

I don't know that I got the best price, though. I paid $8.99 for Amazon Prime Saturday shipping 
biggrin.gif

The two headphones I have in my desk drawer right now are the 780 and V900. Fantastic compliments to each other!

Aw well, you gotta get 'em fast. It's the only way. 

The mids on your 780 will sound hollow, thin and artificial by comparison. Beware!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back