++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 14, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #12,991 of 29,490

Quote:
Not familiar with the HD550s... Did you mean the 650s?

Yes i did, sorry 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #12,992 of 29,490
Hey going to pull the trigger tomorrow on some Ultrasone HFI-780's. Any other last suggestions, I was considering the Audio Technica ATH-M50 however from different opinions I have read, the Ultrasone's may be better for me. Primarily listen to Trance (Armin, Above & Beyond, Cosmic Gate, Dash Berlin, Markus Schulz) Although some rock (Killswitch. B4MV, A7X) and some rap. Probably 90%-5%-5%

Driven from my hp computer stock sound card or ipod 80gb 6G.

Any advice is much appreciated. 
L3000.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #12,993 of 29,490
I have tried the ATM-M50's and they have good controlled bass. The ultrasones i have to tried but i have a pair of PRO-550 and they are fine for listening to bass heavy music although, you would need to burn them in for around 150 hours.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #12,994 of 29,490
Hi, first time posting and I'm in the market for a new headphone and was conflicted about two pairs, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700Mk2.

I'd be running the headphones either from my desktop computer or mp3 player at the library, with no amp.

Before I got to these two, I was looking for closed circumaural headphones that'll cover my ears completely, with a good emphasis on bass without sacrificing the mids and highs. I read a lot of good things said about these two headphones, but they both have things preventing me from picking one over another.

The M50 has a really long cord, which I feel would make it difficult moving it between my house and the school library to study. Also, it doesn't have a detachable cable, but I may be putting more value into that than it really is.

The PRO700Mk2 may have pads that are a bit smaller and won't cover my ears completely, but it seems that they can be replaced with M50 pads, except this seems to cause leakage, which won't be good for the library. Also, would the excessiveness of the bass cause some genres to sound bad? Right now I'm listening to dubstep and electronica, but from time to time I'll also listen to K-pop, rock, and something such as soft female vocals accompanied by acoustic guitar. I also listen to classical, but I'm crossing that off as it most likely won't work.

I'm not that big of an audiophile at all, but I'm getting this as a present and I'd like to make the most of it. Durability is important which is why i picked these two, as well as aesthetics. Budget is <$200CAD, and other recommendations are gladly welcome. Thanks for reading =D

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #12,995 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, first time posting and I'm in the market for a new headphone and was conflicted about two pairs, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700Mk2.

I'd be running the headphones either from my desktop computer or mp3 player at the library, with no amp.

Before I got to these two, I was looking for closed circumaural headphones that'll cover my ears completely, with a good emphasis on bass without sacrificing the mids and highs. I read a lot of good things said about these two headphones, but they both have things preventing me from picking one over another.

The M50 has a really long cord, which I feel would make it difficult moving it between my house and the school library to study. Also, it doesn't have a detachable cable, but I may be putting more value into that than it really is.

The PRO700Mk2 may have pads that are a bit smaller and won't cover my ears completely, but it seems that they can be replaced with M50 pads, except this seems to cause leakage, which won't be good for the library. Also, would the excessiveness of the bass cause some genres to sound bad? Right now I'm listening to dubstep and electronica, but from time to time I'll also listen to K-pop, rock, and something such as soft female vocals accompanied by acoustic guitar. I also listen to classical, but I'm crossing that off as it most likely won't work.

I'm not that big of an audiophile at all, but I'm getting this as a present and I'd like to make the most of it. Durability is important which is why i picked these two, as well as aesthetics. Budget is <$200CAD, and other recommendations are gladly welcome. Thanks for reading =D

Between the two, the M50s are the better all-rounder, as the PRO700s are quite bassy, maybe too much so for your non-electronic genres. The long cable, however, is definitely a bit problematic for use as a portable headphone. If you don't mind on-ear too much, the M80s and HD25s might be more portable, but perhaps also a little less comfortable. Or you could go for the PRO700s and see if you can deal with the bass. It's all up to you and what's more important to you. The last option would be for you to recable it yourself, if you have any experience with soldering or DIY.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #12,996 of 29,490
Just posted my review of the Sennheiser HD600 and HD598, Philips Fidelio L1 and Focal Spirit One. If you are considering these or you are shopping in that price range ($200-300), take a look.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601061/mid-fi-shootout-hd600-hd598-focal-spirit-one-philips-fidelio-l1#post_8226062

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #12,999 of 29,490

Quote:
hey im looking for some headphones in australia max $300 for just trance and vocal trance music. Will be running off an X-FI forte soundcard. Have come from a pair of ad700s.

Ideas?

Cheers

Have you considered the Ultrasone HFI-580? A pair that handled electronica well, is easy to drive and well within your budget.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #13,000 of 29,490

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not sure how the D5000s sound. I have heard that they share drivers with the D2000s however, so I imagine the sound would be similar-ish. What other options do you have?

Well, just about any headset with the price of the D2000.
Maybe even up to D5000 since I know someone who might be going to the States, then he can get them for me:D

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #13,001 of 29,490
I'm looking for a new set of cans. Specifically, I am looking for a full sized, closed design headphone in the $300-$500 range. I just ordered the Millett MiniMAX amp kit, and I want some new phones to go with. I plan on using these at my PC, so I need some isolation to block out the fan noise.

Phones I already own: AKG K271S, Sennheiser HD 580, Denon AH-D1001 (work cans), plus a few sets of IEMs. I also own a Goldpoint Headphone Pro amp, that I like a lot. My music is either 320K mp3 or lossless flac, and I mostly listen to classic rock, as well as female vocalists (Sara K, Tori Amos, Allison Kraus are among my favorites.) I'm looking for something that will work well with the MiniMAX amp.

The AKG's were the first high-end phone I bought, but I'm not liking the sound lately. They are also lacking in the comfort aspect, mainly due to the pleather pads needing replacing. Compared to the Denons and the HD 580, they sound rather muffled. (I've had them for a long time, probably close to 10 years?) I'm looking for something detailed and balanced without being shrill, with a wide soundstage.

I'm considering the Denon AH-D2000, or possibly the AH-D5000, and would welcome some suggestions as to other phone to consider.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #13,002 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking into getting my first set of good cans for home use as i already have my westone 4 for portable use, generally for vocals, jazz, rock, pop.  I'm currently looking at the beyer t70, DT880 and AKG K702, any recommendations on a good set of cans and amplification for it?

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #13,003 of 29,490
I've owned the Westone 4 and really enjoyed it. I've also owned the DT880 and AKG K702 (though not the the t70). That being said a HD600 and even a Fiio E9 handily beats the Westone 4. If you like the Westone 4, I think you'll enjoy the HD600 more than the DT880 or the AKG K702. If you've tried other iem, I'd compare the DT880 to the triple.fi and the AKG K702 to a ER4. You should be able to get that set up used for around $250-275.

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking into getting my first set of good cans for home use as i already have my westone 4 for portable use, generally for vocals, jazz, rock, pop.  I'm currently looking at the beyer t70, DT880 and AKG K702, any recommendations on a good set of cans and amplification for it?

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #13,004 of 29,490

Quote:
Between the two, the M50s are the better all-rounder, as the PRO700s are quite bassy, maybe too much so for your non-electronic genres. The long cable, however, is definitely a bit problematic for use as a portable headphone. If you don't mind on-ear too much, the M80s and HD25s might be more portable, but perhaps also a little less comfortable. Or you could go for the PRO700s and see if you can deal with the bass. It's all up to you and what's more important to you. The last option would be for you to recable it yourself, if you have any experience with soldering or DIY.

I'm leaning towards the PRO700s mainly because of the detachable cable, since I'm fearing that I'll somehow ruin the M50s due to something with the cable, and I also don't have any soldering experience or tools to change out the cable. I really want to give them a shot, but the main thing I don't want is the earpads pressing on my ear, but instead of to go around. I tried looking around but can't find how large the earpads are, so wondering if anyone here had the dimensions.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #13,005 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for a new set of cans. Specifically, I am looking for a full sized, closed design headphone in the $300-$500 range. I just ordered the Millett MiniMAX amp kit, and I want some new phones to go with. I plan on using these at my PC, so I need some isolation to block out the fan noise.

Phones I already own: AKG K271S, Sennheiser HD 580, Denon AH-D1001 (work cans), plus a few sets of IEMs. I also own a Goldpoint Headphone Pro amp, that I like a lot. My music is either 320K mp3 or lossless flac, and I mostly listen to classic rock, as well as female vocalists (Sara K, Tori Amos, Allison Kraus are among my favorites.) I'm looking for something that will work well with the MiniMAX amp.

The AKG's were the first high-end phone I bought, but I'm not liking the sound lately. They are also lacking in the comfort aspect, mainly due to the pleather pads needing replacing. Compared to the Denons and the HD 580, they sound rather muffled. (I've had them for a long time, probably close to 10 years?) I'm looking for something detailed and balanced without being shrill, with a wide soundstage.

I'm considering the Denon AH-D2000, or possibly the AH-D5000, and would welcome some suggestions as to other phone to consider.

I have the D2000 and D7000--have only read about the D5000.  For most folks the choice is between the two I have.  However, for female vocals the D5000 may be the best choice for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back