++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 13, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #12,976 of 29,490
I just made my friend a recommendation, he wanted headphones that look cool and are great for rap at around 100 dollars I recommended him the v-moda crossfade lp. Just wondering if I gave him a good recommendation.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #12,979 of 29,490
Hiya Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently in the market for a new budget pair of 'phones - and by "budget", I really mean it. I'm looking to spend around $100 or so, maybe a bit more if it's a significant step-up but I'd really like to keep it at $100 or under. I've never owned a "real" pair of headphones before and I made the mistake of getting a Corsair HS1A "gaming" headset. It sounds decent to novice ears, I suppose, but the bass is virtually nonexistent and the mic has already ceased functioning, so its time for an upgrade.

I listen to a wide variety of music, but I'm into the more bass-heavy genres: rap, hip-hop, R&B, lots of EDM/house/trance and that kind of stuff. Occasionally I will listen to some acoustic jams as well. I'm also an avid PC gamer and will be using these headphones for playing BF3 on (I've already learned my lesson and decided to go with a headphone + standalone mic rather than a "gaming headset"), where it can be helpful to hear footsteps and stuff around me.

Open- or closed-ear doesn't really matter to me, although I would prefer closed if possible for less-leakage and to help me concentrate when I'm gaming. Comfort would be nice as sometimes I am playing for 2+ hours at a time, although I usually won't have them on for much longer than that. I do not wear glasses and I consider my head to be of average size
biggrin.gif

If anyone can give me a few recommendations on what headphones I should be looking at, that would be very much appreciated! One last note: these will be powered by a Titanium Fatal1ty Pro for the time being (blah I know) until I can afford a better source.

Thanks HF!

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #12,982 of 29,490
Looking for durable, closed portable with excellent mids, but more or less neutral, and decent isolation. Prefer over ear rather than on ear...
Let me know what you think of!

Here is my reflection on some of the portables I've tried:
M80: I would have been ok w/ the M80's but the isolation was weak.
M50: The M50's bass was great but the slight v frequency left the mids a little recessed.
ESW9: I like the ESW9a mids but it seemed a little too mid-centric/treble weak and didn't really feel portable because of that nice finish.
HD25: The HD25 had a fantastic sound, but I would like my mids to be closer to the M80's; my real issue w/ the HD25 was head clamp big time!

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #12,983 of 29,490

Quote:
Hiya Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently in the market for a new budget pair of 'phones - and by "budget", I really mean it. I'm looking to spend around $100 or so, maybe a bit more if it's a significant step-up but I'd really like to keep it at $100 or under. I've never owned a "real" pair of headphones before and I made the mistake of getting a Corsair HS1A "gaming" headset. It sounds decent to novice ears, I suppose, but the bass is virtually nonexistent and the mic has already ceased functioning, so its time for an upgrade.

I listen to a wide variety of music, but I'm into the more bass-heavy genres: rap, hip-hop, R&B, lots of EDM/house/trance and that kind of stuff. Occasionally I will listen to some acoustic jams as well. I'm also an avid PC gamer and will be using these headphones for playing BF3 on (I've already learned my lesson and decided to go with a headphone + standalone mic rather than a "gaming headset"), where it can be helpful to hear footsteps and stuff around me.

Open- or closed-ear doesn't really matter to me, although I would prefer closed if possible for less-leakage and to help me concentrate when I'm gaming. Comfort would be nice as sometimes I am playing for 2+ hours at a time, although I usually won't have them on for much longer than that. I do not wear glasses and I consider my head to be of average size
biggrin.gif

If anyone can give me a few recommendations on what headphones I should be looking at, that would be very much appreciated! One last note: these will be powered by a Titanium Fatal1ty Pro for the time being (blah I know) until I can afford a better source.

Thanks HF!

I may not be a veteran on here, but if gaming is your main concern than I recommend the Logitech G35 gaming headset. Yes, it is a headset that you said you would avoid, but this thing is the real deal. Has a woven cable and is built like a tank with very good construction. The mic is very good, very flexible and picks up practically no background sound and the headset is very adjustable and comfortable. My ears don't touch the inside of the pads, and they can stay on for hours. It is completely circamaural. The only downside I can say is that they are fairly heavy, so they don't stay on as well as they might if you move a lot. I have a fairly small head, so it should be better for people with larger heads because they will have more "clamp".

I am a fairly new audiophile but here it goes for sound:

They have a wide soundstage, especially for being closed. The bass is big, accurate and crisp. They can really produce some skull shaking bass. Overall, the sound is very detailed and crisp. The highs were perhaps a bit too tinny, and the low mids suffer a bit. But, using the equalizer to done down the highs and boost the mid they sound absolutely wonderful. You will hear everything crisply, un-distorted or masked by the mids or highs.

They also have 7.1 audio which is un-freaking believable. When used with things that were actually encoded in 7.1 you will be blown away. This means games and movies. You will hear every directional footstep, here the bullets whizzing past. It is great.

I would highly recommend these. Despite being "Gaming", they are truly great audiophile headphones. Just be sure that you get the latest software from the website and use the equalizer to shore up its shortcomings, and you will not regret it.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #12,984 of 29,490
Looking for some advice to purchase Professional Studio Headphones for Production of Electro House and Dubstep music.

I am willing to spend up to $500.00 for headphones so I can do it right the first time to produce music

Thank you for your help in advance

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #12,985 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi- new to the site, looking for advice on my first set of real "headphones".

I am a musician, looking to monitor guitar, studio monitor, and casually listen in a single package if possible.  If I had to pick the most important- it would be "casual" listening.  I should clarify that when I like to casually listen, I like crisp, clear audio.  I ran old school Altec Lansing loudspeakers before switching to Martin Logan for my home listening environment, and utilize a combination of JL Audio and Infinity in my vehicle. 

I listen mostly to classic rock, blues, country, jazz, and classical music, but I have a very eclectic collection that includes a vast variety of tonal qualities and sounds.  I would want each to be reproduced as accurately as possible.

I have a large head- 7 & 5/8th hat size, and big ears that stick out.  I want something comfortable as well.

So when you want it all- what do you buy?  When I'm traveling, I don't care how compact they will be, I just want to carry one pair and not multiples.

Beyer DT880 600 ohm would work for a really comfy full sized can, but really for traveling I would be thinking iem like the Westone UM-3X.  Both will give you fairly flat response and good definition especially with guitar.  Thanks for telling us about your home speakers, it helps.

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #12,986 of 29,490

Quote:
In my bedroom, I've never taken any previous headphones anywhere. I don't mind if sound leaks.
I usually listen to dance, and house. I think I want a balanced flat sound, I've got no experience though, so I don't really know what I want.

If you like the AKG 240s then go with them, they are very good in the mids, but have no low bass.  For something a bit better try the Shure 840s.  I owned both and enjoyed them for different reasons.

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #12,988 of 29,490
Looking for some advice to purchase Professional Studio Headphones for Production of Electro House and Dubstep music.

I am willing to spend up to $500.00 for headphones so I can do it right the first time to produce music

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #12,989 of 29,490

Quote:

People saw your first post. Now, wait for an answer and come back later.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #12,990 of 29,490

Quote:

Extra bass is always good if it does not come at the expense of the mids and highs, since vocals are still very important for most rock music. I do like circamaural, but the M80s seem to be very good. Does anyone know what the sound is like on The ATH-M50s? I've still got it narrowed down to those, and I sort of know what the sound is like on the M80s, but not on the ATH-M50, and I don't want to be sucked in by the M80s looks if the M50s sound better. I do like that the M50s fold up, but they are also much bigger than the M80s and are circamaural. So hard to choose.

The M50s are a pretty standard v-curve, and though the mids/vocals are a little recessed, it works pretty well for rock music. They're not particularly portable, though because of the 10-foot cable. I've seen the M80s sound compared favorably to the m50s however, though you might want to do some more research on your own.

Quote:
Prefered to be closed.
The price for the D2000 is somewhat around 500usd where I live.
I like bass, but it should not be bass heavy.
I have some analytical IEM's and like the very sparkly sound, and that the bass is not too prominent.
Does the D5000 have less bass?

Sorry, I'm not sure how the D5000s sound. I have heard that they share drivers with the D2000s however, so I imagine the sound would be similar-ish. What other options do you have?

Quote:
I just made my friend a recommendation, he wanted headphones that look cool and are great for rap at around 100 dollars I recommended him the v-moda crossfade lp. Just wondering if I gave him a good recommendation.

Eh, not a fan of the Crossfades, as they're a bit muddy. He'll probably be impressed, though, and they do look nice.

Quote:
Should i buy the monster turbine pearls or the monster turbine golds.

AFAIK the Pearls are just a color difference from the original turbines, so the Golds will sound better. Pricier, though.

Quote:
Hiya Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

Thanks HF!

Maybe the CAL!s, but I don't know that they have the kind of soundstage you need for gaming. It's a bit hard to find something that works for music and also has the soundstag for gaming at that price, unfortunately.

Quote:
Are there any difference with the Turbine Pros? 

Yeah, they have different drivers, and by all accounts they do sound more detailed and refined.

Quote:
Hey i am thinking about getting HD550 and a new PORTABLE amp, dont want to spend more than 250 on amp..any ideas?

Not familiar with the HD550s... Did you mean the 650s?

Quote:
Looking for durable, closed portable with excellent mids, but more or less neutral, and decent isolation. Prefer over ear rather than on ear...
Let me know what you think of!

Here is my reflection on some of the portables I've tried:
M80: I would have been ok w/ the M80's but the isolation was weak.
M50: The M50's bass was great but the slight v frequency left the mids a little recessed.
ESW9: I like the ESW9a mids but it seemed a little too mid-centric/treble weak and didn't really feel portable because of that nice finish.
HD25: The HD25 had a fantastic sound, but I would like my mids to be closer to the M80's; my real issue w/ the HD25 was head clamp big time!

Yeah, the M50s probably won't give you the excellent mids, as they're recessed, and have a slightly strange timbre. No direct experience with the M80s, but if you liked the mids there, I think there's a couple mods to improve isolation out there. Also not a ton of portables that are over-ear.

Quote:

Ultrasone Pro900? Though i imagine for music production, you might want the most neutral headphones you can get. Not sure though, as I have no experience here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back