++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #12,961 of 29,490
Hello guys, I joined this website seeking some advice on buying some headphones. Currently I am using a pair of AKG k181 LE's which I prize for the noise cancellation. I've also tried the CALs which were excellent but didn't have the noise cancellation.

I'm looking for a headphone for dubstep, hip hop, and indie music that can deliver good bass and clarity in most mids,highs,lows. Also I am looking for a headphone that can deliver good cancellation. Must be closed cans.

BUDGET: ~$80USD

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #12,962 of 29,490
Hey, I'm looking for a new set of headphones for college next year. I am going into radio broadcasting, and need something that wont leak sound, and has good sound quality. My budget is around $200-300, and have been looking pretty seriously at the Sennheiser hd 25-1 II. Do you think this a good choice? What would you suggest? Thank you very much for your time, Spencer

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #12,964 of 29,490

Quote:

Denon D2000 look to be the same size as the Denon AH-D1001. The area inside the cans for my ears is too small. I have big ears =)

Really? I'm pretty sure the D2000s are bigger, and pretty universally circumaural, though I'll  need someone to confirm. Don't think I can think of any other closed cans with bigger cups though... Maybe the Audio Technica A700/900, but I don't know how well those isolate.

Quote:
Hey what  are the best headphones for  around 150- 200 dollars, I listen to the all kinds of music so just the best  overall headphones I can get

Open or closed? basically, you can't really use open headphones outdoors, because they leak too much sound and let too much in. As far as closed goes, there's anything from the M50/HFI780 sort of bassy DJ cans to the SRH840/HM5 which are more neutral to the HD25-1/M80, which are bassy on-ear portables. All would be excellent choices, but it depends on your preferred sound signature.

Quote:
can someone recommend some headphones that will fit my small head?
my budget is 150$ and i listen to hardstyle/house/electro
thanks

My head's pretty small, but I don't think I've ever had a problem with a pair of headphones being too big for me... Is there a specific pair you've had that didn't fit?

Quote:

Hey guys,

As you may know, I purchased the Ultrasone HFI 2400. When plugged into my Mac and my iPhone, they don't go very loud. They have astonishing sound quality, but I just wish they were louder... My ATH-M50 goes louder........ Can anyone help me? 

Get a portable amp. Something like an E11/17 or iBasso D-Zero would be nice and portable, too.

Quote:
Welp, here I am. Been lurking here for months and decided I should chime in and ask for some help. My beloved Koss PortaPros are finally breaking down after much, much use and I am looking to replace them with a good step up. These will be my first "real" pair of headphones.

I will mostly be listening to music while walking around, so a fully portable or light design is preferred, though I will easily drop that requirement for better sound. My biggest requirement is that they headphones cannot be THAT big. There is only so much portability that I can sacrifice, you know? My current budget is preferably ~$100, though I can stretch it to ~$150-$160 if I have a good reason. I listen to primarily Rock/Metal music, with a bit of electronic rock and techno mixed in.

Yes, some of these are well above my budget. However, there is currently a nice sale on many headphones/earbuds on Amazon, and I would like to take advantage of that. 

I have been looking at the Grado SR80is, Shure SRH440s, and AKG K-240, Audio Technica ATH-A700, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 for ones that fit my price range fairly well. I have also been looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for one to stretch my budget, and I have been hearing very mixed reviews about the V-Moda M-80. Some swear it is the best looking, best sounding most comfortable thing they ever worn, others say that it is completely junk.

Sadly, I am unable to try some headphones before I buy them; there isn't anywhere near my that even sells higher end headphones, and I do NOT appreciate that.
I should also mention that I can buy a portable amp separately if anyone has recommendations for one for a particular headphone. I have never used one before and am at a complete loss with them

I have deep, deep reserves about other on-ear style headphones, such as the Grados. I had good luck with the Koss PortaPros, but I still don't understand on-ear headphones. I still prefer closed-ear whenever possible, for comfort, sound quality and isolation.

Any help, advice, and other recommendations welcome! Cheers, and thanks in advance.

I'd say seriously consider the M80s and HD25s, both of which are very solid on-ear portables. The M80s are $170 now, which is just above your price limit, but I think it'll be worth it. Incidentally, what negative things have you heard about the M80s? Never really heard a whole lot of negatives on them here on Head-Fi.

Quote:
OK so I am currently in the market for some new headphones. My budget is about 500 bucks. Right now I have Beyer DT770 250 ohm preimum edition. I would like to get something that is a little more portable, I am thinking about taking the plunge into IEMS. I have been looking at the Westone W4 and the JH audio JH5s. I have amps to power anything I get on the go. I listen to all kinds of music. I am also hoping that if I can get some IEMS that are good enough they can replace my Beyers, I don't know if this is possible. Any suggestions are appreciated.

What kind of sound sig are you looking for? Not too familiar with the Beyers, so can you be more specific? Also, do you have any particular isolation requirements?

Quote:
Hey guys! So first off, I now understand why people say "Welcome to head-fi, sorry for your wallet." I just have the sudden urge to get better/different sounds of phones. 

Anyways, so i've been wanted a more fun basshead can. I read a lot of good things about the Sony MDR-XB500's and 700's along with the V-moda crossfades lp.

My output will be coming from my computer(Mac if that makes a difference.) And i wouldn't mind buying an amp/dac if needed. 

I have a student budget soo hopefully i can get the phone and amp for < 100, but i can go up to 150. 

Thanks again Head-fi community
-Brandon

Edit: A little more research done, and apparently the ATH Pro700 MKII's bass is to be 'thunderous'. Just another option

The crossfade LPs tend to be muddy, so might not be the best choice, though I've heard the LP2s have fixed that. They go for msrp though, so might be out of your price range. Also check out the Ultrasone HFI580, I think there was an appreciation thread somewhere that touted them as good basshead cans. Go check it out.

Quote:
Hello guys, I joined this website seeking some advice on buying some headphones. Currently I am using a pair of AKG k181 LE's which I prize for the noise cancellation. I've also tried the CALs which were excellent but didn't have the noise cancellation.

I'm looking for a headphone for dubstep, hip hop, and indie music that can deliver good bass and clarity in most mids,highs,lows. Also I am looking for a headphone that can deliver good cancellation. Must be closed cans.

BUDGET: ~$80USD

What are the K81s not doing for you? I've always heard they were pretty bassy. Something like the XB500 will probably give you more  bass, but I don't think you'll find something better than the K81s in all those categories and with bass for under $80.

Quote:
Hey, I'm looking for a new set of headphones for college next year. I am going into radio broadcasting, and need something that wont leak sound, and has good sound quality. My budget is around $200-300, and have been looking pretty seriously at the Sennheiser hd 25-1 II. Do you think this a good choice? What would you suggest? Thank you very much for your time, Spencer

HD25s are an excellent choice, and they've been a benchmark for broadcast purposes for decades, or so I've heard. Good isolation, good sound quality, built like a tank.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #12,965 of 29,490
Heh you seem to have helped a lot of people. And actually I realized the reviews I had been reading were for the LPs, which said they were so bass heavy as to be muddy, covering the mids and highs. Read again and there seem to be no downside to the M-80s. They even look good. Definitely going to be thinking about those. Thanks for the recommendation! So now it is basically down to the V-Moda M-80s and the ATH-500s. I reaaaally wish I could try them out at a store beforehand >_<

I also really really wish that the LP2s, which fix the LPs, were not $200, or I would probably get them instantly. I have heard absolutely nothing bad about them, as opposed to the LPs.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #12,966 of 29,490

So I've been looking around, and I think I've decided on the AKG K240's
I'm going to have around $200, I will be able to go over this though.
They're going to be about $115.
With the left over $85 I am thinking of getting a FiiO E10? 

Would you recommend anything different to this for a first setup? 
I'd look at spending about $100 on an amp/DAC if it is better than the FiiO. 

Quote:
Are there any better alternatives, that I would be able to get,
Within Australia, for less than $150?
Comfort is a big factor is my decision, I've tried some 701s
And I found them amazingly comfortable.

I want to buy these tonight, any input? 

From my thread that got no attention. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #12,967 of 29,490
I will listen mostly in an office setting. So these need to isolate pretty well, I also use the headphones to block out any out side noise. I will most likley use these headphones while walking around campus too. I would like a sound signature that is accurate, detailed as big of a sound stage as I can get.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #12,969 of 29,490

Quote:
Heh you seem to have helped a lot of people. And actually I realized the reviews I had been reading were for the LPs, which said they were so bass heavy as to be muddy, covering the mids and highs. Read again and there seem to be no downside to the M-80s. They even look good. Definitely going to be thinking about those. Thanks for the recommendation! So now it is basically down to the V-Moda M-80s and the ATH-500s. I reaaaally wish I could try them out at a store beforehand >_<

I also really really wish that the LP2s, which fix the LPs, were not $200, or I would probably get them instantly. I have heard absolutely nothing bad about them, as opposed to the LPs.

Well, are you looking for the extra bass that the LP2s give over the M80s, or are you looking for circumaural, or is it just another option? The M80s have a bit of bass emphasis, but not enough to be basshead cans.

Quote:

From my thread that got no attention. 

Where are you going to be using them? How important is isolation, portability, and comfort? What kind of music do you listen to/what kind of sound are you looking for?

Quote:
I will listen mostly in an office setting. So these need to isolate pretty well, I also use the headphones to block out any out side noise. I will most likley use these headphones while walking around campus too. I would like a sound signature that is accurate, detailed as big of a sound stage as I can get.

If you haven't already, go check out ljokerl's IEM review thread, specifically the top-tier options. Some choices would be those Westone 4s, etc, though you could also look into some customs. Unfortunately, it seems like the ones with the biggest soundstages, like the IE80 and EX1000, don't isolate all that well.

Quote:
Hey guys..
I want your advice about purchasing the Monster Turbine Pro- review Headphones..
Those are awesome headphones but let's say they not the cheapest..haha
I have more dilemma, what to buy? the Monster Turbine pro Gold or copper?

Thanks..

By all accounts, they're competent upper-mid range IEMs, but are a little pricey at MSRP. The Gold is generally a little more bassy than the Coppers, which are more refined, from what I've heard. Check out ljokerl's IEM review thread and other such resources for more details.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #12,970 of 29,490

Well, are you looking for the extra bass that the LP2s give over the M80s, or are you looking for circumaural, or is it just another option? The M80s have a bit of bass emphasis, but not enough to be basshead cans.

Extra bass is always good if it does not come at the expense of the mids and highs, since vocals are still very important for most rock music. I do like circamaural, but the M80s seem to be very good. Does anyone know what the sound is like on The ATH-M50s? I've still got it narrowed down to those, and I sort of know what the sound is like on the M80s, but not on the ATH-M50, and I don't want to be sucked in by the M80s looks if the M50s sound better. I do like that the M50s fold up, but they are also much bigger than the M80s and are circamaural. So hard to choose.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #12,971 of 29,490
Hi- new to the site, looking for advice on my first set of real "headphones".

I am a musician, looking to monitor guitar, studio monitor, and casually listen in a single package if possible.  If I had to pick the most important- it would be "casual" listening.  I should clarify that when I like to casually listen, I like crisp, clear audio.  I ran old school Altec Lansing loudspeakers before switching to Martin Logan for my home listening environment, and utilize a combination of JL Audio and Infinity in my vehicle. 

I listen mostly to classic rock, blues, country, jazz, and classical music, but I have a very eclectic collection that includes a vast variety of tonal qualities and sounds.  I would want each to be reproduced as accurately as possible.

I have a large head- 7 & 5/8th hat size, and big ears that stick out.  I want something comfortable as well.

So when you want it all- what do you buy?  When I'm traveling, I don't care how compact they will be, I just want to carry one pair and not multiples.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #12,972 of 29,490

Quote:
Open or Closed? Unless you're looking for bass, I'd say you could probably do a little better than the D2000s for $600, unless prices are really inflated wherever you live. The disadvantage to open headphones of course is that they leak both ways, so they won't be too suited to outdoor and portable use. Between the E7 and E17 though, the E17 is definitely a step up.

Prefered to be closed.
The price for the D2000 is somewhat around 500usd where I live.
I like bass, but it should not be bass heavy.
I have some analytical IEM's and like the very sparkly sound, and that the bass is not too prominent.
Does the D5000 have less bass?

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #12,973 of 29,490

Quote:
Where are you going to be using them? How important is isolation, portability, and comfort? What kind of music do you listen to/what kind of sound are you looking for?

In my bedroom, I've never taken any previous headphones anywhere. I don't mind if sound leaks.
I usually listen to dance, and house. I think I want a balanced flat sound, I've got no experience though, so I don't really know what I want.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #12,974 of 29,490
Hi- new to the site, looking for advice on my first set of real "headphones".

I am a musician, looking to monitor guitar, studio monitor, and casually listen in a single package if possible.  If I had to pick the most important- it would be "casual" listening.  I should clarify that when I like to casually listen, I like crisp, clear audio.  I ran old school Altec Lansing loudspeakers before switching to Martin Logan for my home listening environment, and utilize a combination of JL Audio and Infinity in my vehicle. 

I listen mostly to classic rock, blues, country, jazz, and classical music, but I have a very eclectic collection that includes a vast variety of tonal qualities and sounds.  I would want each to be reproduced as accurately as possible.

I have a large head- 7 & 5/8th hat size, and big ears that stick out.  I want something comfortable as well.

So when you want it all- what do you buy?  When I'm traveling, I don't care how compact they will be, I just want to carry one pair and not multiples.

If your budget can stand it I would suggest the Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor. It's quite a jump for a first headphone but it is truly neutral so it is great for monitoring, but it is also a custom so it will be very portable and useable on stage or while working a live show at the board.

Don't be afraid that bass will be lacking. It extends very well and produces the bass of the recording. The frequency response continues smoothly through to very detailed treble.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #12,975 of 29,490

Quote:
Welp, here I am. Been lurking here for months and decided I should chime in and ask for some help. My beloved Koss PortaPros are finally breaking down after much, much use and I am looking to replace them with a good step up. These will be my first "real" pair of headphones.

I will mostly be listening to music while walking around, so a fully portable or light design is preferred, though I will easily drop that requirement for better sound. My biggest requirement is that they headphones cannot be THAT big. There is only so much portability that I can sacrifice, you know? My current budget is preferably ~$100, though I can stretch it to ~$150-$160 if I have a good reason. I listen to primarily Rock/Metal music, with a bit of electronic rock and techno mixed in.

Yes, some of these are well above my budget. However, there is currently a nice sale on many headphones/earbuds on Amazon, and I would like to take advantage of that. 

I have been looking at the Grado SR80is, Shure SRH440s, and AKG K-240, Audio Technica ATH-A700, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 for ones that fit my price range fairly well. I have also been looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for one to stretch my budget, and I have been hearing very mixed reviews about the V-Moda M-80. Some swear it is the best looking, best sounding most comfortable thing they ever worn, others say that it is completely junk.

Sadly, I am unable to try some headphones before I buy them; there isn't anywhere near my that even sells higher end headphones, and I do NOT appreciate that.
I should also mention that I can buy a portable amp separately if anyone has recommendations for one for a particular headphone. I have never used one before and am at a complete loss with them

I have deep, deep reserves about other on-ear style headphones, such as the Grados. I had good luck with the Koss PortaPros, but I still don't understand on-ear headphones. I still prefer closed-ear whenever possible, for comfort, sound quality and isolation.

Any help, advice, and other recommendations welcome! Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Creative Aurvana Live! (Seems the most fitting for you)
Skullcandy Aviators
V-Moda M80
ATH-SJ55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back