++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #12,931 of 29,490
Mar 12, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #12,932 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

I am looking for an portable headphone that excell in jpop and jrock genres. Vocals are the most important factor for me.

My budget is around $200 or more. I will be playing it straight out from my cowon j3 without an amp.

I like a closed headphone that is quite small in size. I like headphones that are engaging with good soundstage, mids and treble. Also i am not much of a basshead.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi,

I was torn between the v-moda m-80's and sennheiser hd 25-1-ii. Afterwards i decided that i wanted to purchase the m-80's because of the recommendations given and because of the good price it was sold at Amazon. However the m80's have suddenly raised in price and now its about the same as the sennheisers. I was wondering what would be most suitable for me based on my sound preferences and the genres that i listen to. Another headphone i'm considering is the ATH-ESW9. I want something with a live feel and is engaging/intimate.

Thanks.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #12,933 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi,

I was torn between the v-moda m-80's and sennheiser hd 25-1-ii. Afterwards i decided that i wanted to purchase the m-80's because of the recommendations given and because of the good price it was sold at Amazon. However the m80's have suddenly raised in price and now its about the same as the sennheisers. I was wondering what would be most suitable for me based on my sound preferences and the genres that i listen to. Another headphone i'm considering is the ATH-ESW9. I want something with a live feel and is engaging/intimate.

Thanks.

Sorry, just for clarification, where are you seeing the price jump? I still see them as $170 on Amazon atm... Be sure to check the different sellers for that price. 

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #12,935 of 29,490
Hi there.
I am about to buy my first setup and my budget is:
600 usd, 300 gbp, 400eur or 3000dkk.

I want full sized headphones, I am thinking about getting the Denon AH-D2000. I have listened to these and like them, they seemed to suffer from a bit of sibilance, but hey, I was using an ipod touch 2nd gen so might have been the cause.

I want an amp with dac, or both dac and amp since I dont think my build in dac is good enough.
It would be preferred if it was portable but could live without it.
I am thinking about the e7 or e17 here.

So what are youre thoughts here?

I've heard the Beyer DT770 80ohm Pro, like these, though I think they lack some mids.
I've got the Phonak Audeo PFE 122, which it would be nice if the amp could be used with these too.

It should be noted that I have a minor hearing problem, my left ear is something like 1-4 db off the right, so some adjustment could be nice, but this is not a necessity from the amp. Remember not something that I NEED, it would just be nice to have.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #12,936 of 29,490

Quote:
Can anyone else give their $0.02 please?

Quote:
Ok I have a budget of £150 for a pair of closed cans and I've narrowed it down to the following:
1. Ultrasone PRO550
2. Audio Technica ATH-M50 LE
3. Audio Technica PRO700Mk2
To be driven by an iPhone 4 and probably either Fiio E7 or E11 (only have the iPhone right now). Music is acoustic, classical, jazz, hiphop, drum&bass, dubstep, house.. Just about anything.
I'm going round in circles reading reviews and comparisons, and I really can't decide. They'll be worn mainly while commuting on the train. Yes to comfort and prefer detachable cables, no to leakage.
I own a pair of Denon C751s, and after 3 years of constant abuse they sound muddy and claustrophobic. I like the idea of the Ultrasone's soundstage for when I'm not listening to electronic music, and I'm wondering if I really need a basshead headphone, but I don't want to be disappointed when I'm in the mood for some skull shaking bass.
If I could justify the money I would get PRO 900's for travel and Q701's for when I'm at home!

I sent my PRO700MK2's back, the sound and bass was pretty good but the clamp was too much for that price.  I found myself constantly adjusting the cups trying to find relief especially after listening to my XB500's...they just felt like hell.
I just ordered the Ultrasone Pro 550 but they are on back order so I'll won't get a chance to listen for a while.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/568387-REG/Ultrasone_PRO_550_PRO_550_Closed_Back_Professional.html

^^^best price that I found.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #12,937 of 29,490
^ I find it amusing people send their headphones back because of clamping when you can easily fix that. Overnight streching over some suitable wide object is your friend. My AKG K518 DJ went from 15~20 mins wearable tops until intense pain in the ears started to develop to at least 1½ ~ 2 hrs wearable from 2 overnight streching sessions.

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #12,938 of 29,490
Hi All,
I'm looking for a really comfortable headphone.  It needs to be around the near and have a closed back.  I'm going to be using it in an office environment so it can't leak much sound.  At home I use a Sennheiser PC-360 for gaming/skype and I love it. It's really comfortable because the ear cups are large enough where they don't touch/squish my ears and they have a soft velvet instead of sticky plastic. I'm look for something similar to this except with a closed back and without the microphone.  Comfort and sound leakage are my most important requirements.  Until recently (broke in half) I was used a pair of Denon AH-D1001 which didn't leak much sound but the ear cups weren't very big and squished my ear making them hurt after a while. My ear stick out a big more than average so large ear cups help.

Any thoughts?

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #12,939 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi there.
I am about to buy my first setup and my budget is:
600 usd, 300 gbp, 400eur or 3000dkk.

I want full sized headphones, I am thinking about getting the Denon AH-D2000. I have listened to these and like them, they seemed to suffer from a bit of sibilance, but hey, I was using an ipod touch 2nd gen so might have been the cause.

I want an amp with dac, or both dac and amp since I dont think my build in dac is good enough.
It would be preferred if it was portable but could live without it.
I am thinking about the e7 or e17 here.

So what are youre thoughts here?

I've heard the Beyer DT770 80ohm Pro, like these, though I think they lack some mids.
I've got the Phonak Audeo PFE 122, which it would be nice if the amp could be used with these too.

It should be noted that I have a minor hearing problem, my left ear is something like 1-4 db off the right, so some adjustment could be nice, but this is not a necessity from the amp. Remember not something that I NEED, it would just be nice to have.

Open or Closed? Unless you're looking for bass, I'd say you could probably do a little better than the D2000s for $600, unless prices are really inflated wherever you live. The disadvantage to open headphones of course is that they leak both ways, so they won't be too suited to outdoor and portable use. Between the E7 and E17 though, the E17 is definitely a step up.

Quote:
Hi All,
I'm looking for a really comfortable headphone.  It needs to be around the near and have a closed back.  I'm going to be using it in an office environment so it can't leak much sound.  At home I use a Sennheiser PC-360 for gaming/skype and I love it. It's really comfortable because the ear cups are large enough where they don't touch/squish my ears and they have a soft velvet instead of sticky plastic. I'm look for something similar to this except with a closed back and without the microphone.  Comfort and sound leakage are my most important requirements.  Until recently (broke in half) I was used a pair of Denon AH-D1001 which didn't leak much sound but the ear cups weren't very big and squished my ear making them hurt after a while. My ear stick out a big more than average so large ear cups help.

Any thoughts?

HM5? DJ cans tend to clamp a bit, and the Denon D2000s, while comfortable, aren't too isolating.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #12,940 of 29,490
Quote:

The E17 does have a balance control, in addition to treble and bass.

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #12,941 of 29,490

Quote:
Open or Closed? Unless you're looking for bass, I'd say you could probably do a little better than the D2000s for $600, unless prices are really inflated wherever you live. The disadvantage to open headphones of course is that they leak both ways, so they won't be too suited to outdoor and portable use. Between the E7 and E17 though, the E17 is definitely a step up.

HM5? DJ cans tend to clamp a bit, and the Denon D2000s, while comfortable, aren't too isolating.

Denon D2000 look to be the same size as the Denon AH-D1001. The area inside the cans for my ears is too small. I have big ears =)

Mar 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #12,942 of 29,490

Quote:
^ I find it amusing people send their headphones back because of clamping when you can easily fix that. Overnight streching over some suitable wide object is your friend. My AKG K518 DJ went from 15~20 mins wearable tops until intense pain in the ears started to develop to at least 1½ ~ 2 hrs wearable from 2 overnight streching sessions.

Well I'm glad I amuse you.  I did not list out the ways I tried to make my Pro700's comfortable.  But what I did do is choose to use that money and discover/listen to another set that I am curious about.  This is not a DIY thread.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #12,944 of 29,490
Hey what  are the best headphones for  around 150- 200 dollars, I listen to the all kinds of music so just the best  overall headphones I can get

A lot of people like the V-moda M-80s and the Sennheiser HD-25-II. I haven't heard the HD-25s, but I absolutely love my V-80s(same thing as M-80 but with True Blood branding and some color tweaks.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back