++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #12,946 of 29,490
how do the m80's compare to the audio technica m50s, I've heard good things on the too?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588813/ath-m50-v-hd-25-1-ii-v-v-moda-m-80-v-srh940-help-please

Should answer all your questions.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #12,948 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey what  are the best headphones for  around 150- 200 dollars, I listen to the all kinds of music so just the best  overall headphones I can get

Check out the Shure SRH840, Brainwavz HM5 (if you can find them) and Ultrasone HFI 780.  You may also find these articles to be helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

and

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #12,950 of 29,490

Hey guys,

As you may know, I purchased the Ultrasone HFI 2400. When plugged into my Mac and my iPhone, they don't go very loud. They have astonishing sound quality, but I just wish they were louder... My ATH-M50 goes louder........ Can anyone help me? 

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #12,952 of 29,490
Wow that's crazy. Cheapest equivalent price I've found in the UK is $200.

Quote:

I sent my PRO700MK2's back, the sound and bass was pretty good but the clamp was too much for that price.  I found myself constantly adjusting the cups trying to find relief especially after listening to my XB500's...they just felt like hell.
I just ordered the Ultrasone Pro 550 but they are on back order so I'll won't get a chance to listen for a while.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/568387-REG/Ultrasone_PRO_550_PRO_550_Closed_Back_Professional.html

^^^best price that I found.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #12,953 of 29,490

Quote:
^ I find it amusing people send their headphones back because of clamping when you can easily fix that. Overnight streching over some suitable wide object is your friend. My AKG K518 DJ went from 15~20 mins wearable tops until intense pain in the ears started to develop to at least 1½ ~ 2 hrs wearable from 2 overnight streching sessions.

Stretching helps, but not enough to make some phones wearable for extended period of time (4hr or more).

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #12,954 of 29,490
Welp, here I am. Been lurking here for months and decided I should chime in and ask for some help. My beloved Koss PortaPros are finally breaking down after much, much use and I am looking to replace them with a good step up. These will be my first "real" pair of headphones.

I will mostly be listening to music while walking around, so a fully portable or light design is preferred, though I will easily drop that requirement for better sound. My biggest requirement is that they headphones cannot be THAT big. There is only so much portability that I can sacrifice, you know? My current budget is preferably ~$100, though I can stretch it to ~$150-$160 if I have a good reason. I listen to primarily Rock/Metal music, with a bit of electronic rock and techno mixed in.

Yes, some of these are well above my budget. However, there is currently a nice sale on many headphones/earbuds on Amazon, and I would like to take advantage of that. 

I have been looking at the Grado SR80is, Shure SRH440s, and AKG K-240, Audio Technica ATH-A700, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 for ones that fit my price range fairly well. I have also been looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for one to stretch my budget, and I have been hearing very mixed reviews about the V-Moda M-80. Some swear it is the best looking, best sounding most comfortable thing they ever worn, others say that it is completely junk.

Sadly, I am unable to try some headphones before I buy them; there isn't anywhere near my that even sells higher end headphones, and I do NOT appreciate that.
I should also mention that I can buy a portable amp separately if anyone has recommendations for one for a particular headphone. I have never used one before and am at a complete loss with them

I have deep, deep reserves about other on-ear style headphones, such as the Grados. I had good luck with the Koss PortaPros, but I still don't understand on-ear headphones. I still prefer closed-ear whenever possible, for comfort, sound quality and isolation.

Any help, advice, and other recommendations welcome! Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #12,955 of 29,490
The Shure SRH440's along with the 840's, the AT M50, CAL's and from what I've heard/read from a number of trustworthy sources--the Koss PRODJ100 and their well dressed sibling the Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone are all good closed cans that can be had within your budget and which will work on the move.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #12,956 of 29,490

Quote:
Welp, here I am. Been lurking here for months and decided I should chime in and ask for some help. My beloved Koss PortaPros are finally breaking down after much, much use and I am looking to replace them with a good step up. These will be my first "real" pair of headphones.

I will mostly be listening to music while walking around, so a fully portable or light design is preferred, though I will easily drop that requirement for better sound. My biggest requirement is that they headphones cannot be THAT big. There is only so much portability that I can sacrifice, you know? My current budget is preferably ~$100, though I can stretch it to ~$150-$160 if I have a good reason. I listen to primarily Rock/Metal music, with a bit of electronic rock and techno mixed in.

Yes, some of these are well above my budget. However, there is currently a nice sale on many headphones/earbuds on Amazon, and I would like to take advantage of that. 

I have been looking at the Grado SR80is, Shure SRH440s, and AKG K-240, Audio Technica ATH-A700, Audio Technica ATH-AD700 for ones that fit my price range fairly well. I have also been looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for one to stretch my budget, and I have been hearing very mixed reviews about the V-Moda M-80. Some swear it is the best looking, best sounding most comfortable thing they ever worn, others say that it is completely junk.

Sadly, I am unable to try some headphones before I buy them; there isn't anywhere near my that even sells higher end headphones, and I do NOT appreciate that.
I should also mention that I can buy a portable amp separately if anyone has recommendations for one for a particular headphone. I have never used one before and am at a complete loss with them

I have deep, deep reserves about other on-ear style headphones, such as the Grados. I had good luck with the Koss PortaPros, but I still don't understand on-ear headphones. I still prefer closed-ear whenever possible, for comfort, sound quality and isolation.

Any help, advice, and other recommendations welcome! Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Check out the Sennheiser HD518.....Killer value 
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #12,957 of 29,490
OK so I am currently in the market for some new headphones. My budget is about 500 bucks. Right now I have Beyer DT770 250 ohm preimum edition. I would like to get something that is a little more portable, I am thinking about taking the plunge into IEMS. I have been looking at the Westone W4 and the JH audio JH5s. I have amps to power anything I get on the go. I listen to all kinds of music. I am also hoping that if I can get some IEMS that are good enough they can replace my Beyers, I don't know if this is possible. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #12,958 of 29,490
Hey guys! So first off, I now understand why people say "Welcome to head-fi, sorry for your wallet." I just have the sudden urge to get better/different sounds of phones. 

Anyways, so i've been wanted a more fun basshead can. I read a lot of good things about the Sony MDR-XB500's and 700's along with the V-moda crossfades lp.

My output will be coming from my computer(Mac if that makes a difference.) And i wouldn't mind buying an amp/dac if needed. 

I have a student budget soo hopefully i can get the phone and amp for < 100, but i can go up to 150. 

Thanks again Head-fi community
-Brandon

Edit: A little more research done, and apparently the ATH Pro700 MKII's bass is to be 'thunderous'. Just another option

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #12,959 of 29,490
Hey what  are the best headphones for  around 150- 200 dollars, I listen to the all kinds of music so just the best  overall headphones I can get

A couple I like in that range are the V-Moda M-80 and Skullcandy Aviators. Sennheiser HD598 can sometimes be had in that range and are excellent all-rounders. They don't seem to excel at any particular genre, but are acceptable for all. The M-80 and Aviators will be a bit more bass heavy and better for non-acoustic music.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #12,960 of 29,490

I have been looking at the Grado SR80is, Shure SRH440s, and AKG K-240, Audio Technica ATH-A700, 
Audio Technica ATH-AD700
 for ones that fit my price range fairly well. I have also been looking at the 
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for one to stretch my budget, and I have been hearing very mixed reviews about the V-Moda M-80. Some swear it is the best looking, best sounding most comfortable thing they ever worn, others say that it is completely junk.

You know Koss has a lifetime warranty on all of their headphones right? Send your broken pair in and they will send you a new one. By all means upgrade if you want, but I just wanted to make sure you knew that option was available to you. Sorry I don't have any recommendations for $100 and closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back