++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #13,021 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi, I just gave up from buying from a store and I get my money back, so I seek an other place to buy also suggest for headphones. I am living in Turkey so it should have international shipping option.
I seek Clarity, GOOD mids, Separation and overall bass. I thought that I am an basshead but i don't. I want to be an audiophile and get the every detail in music. I just don't want too bright sound, gives me headache. I actually like dark sounding. The music that I listen most is Rap, but it is different from US rap, not bass oriented. Price range is max 200$.
I looked to Sony ZX700, SH HD 518 or any higher models that i can buy for 200$. What do suggest, I actually want brands SONY or Sennheiser. Or would you recommend something else?
Thanks.
P.s : Sorry for my bad English.

What source(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #13,022 of 29,490
Hello, I need some headphone purchasing help, and this place seemed like the place to ask.. so ask I will..

My current headphone set-up:
Sennheiser PC350 (guess it's more of a "headset")
No Soundcard (On-board Realtek ALC892)
No Amp
No DAC

What I do:
· Gaming
  1. FPS/TPS (Competitive, Non-Competitive)
  2. RPG (Action, Adventure)
  3. RTS
  4. MMO (non hot-key)
  5. Casual (Puzzle, lite SHMUP)

· Music
  1. Just about everything except Country and Rap/Hip-Hippity Hop, but deffinately some bass-centric stuff..
  2. Bass player

· Movies
  1. Just about everything except romance and musicals

Why I'm looking to upgrade, and what I'm looking for:
While my Senn PC350s have held up well, they are really lacking in a few areas; mainly soundstage, and bass (put it this way, the Logitech G35s [i got a chance to try them from a friend of mine] smoked these PC350s in every area). Also, while replaceable, the earpads are starting to wear badly.. It's just time for a worthwhile upgrade.

I started by looking into the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 ($80 - $100), seems like a great set of headphones, but I've heard a few downsides that have made me think twice, those being very "tinny" bass and "one-size-fits-all" troubles. I've also heard that a good sound card, and DAC could help the bass problem greatly, but I really have no knowledge on that subject.

All in all, looking for a set of headphones that will offer a great soundstage, as well as immersive bass (solid, rich punch).

I figured if I wanted "best-of-both-worlds" to find the right soundstage:solid-bass ratio I would need to increase my price range, so that I did.

Price Range:
$200 - $300

I don't think I left anything out, I can answer any other questions that need answering, thanks for help in advance.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #13,023 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, I need some headphone purchasing help, and this place seemed like the place to ask.. so ask I will..

My current headphone set-up:
Sennheiser PC350 (guess it's more of a "headset")
No Soundcard (On-board Realtek ALC892)
No Amp
No DAC

What I do:
· Gaming
  1. FPS/TPS (Competitive, Non-Competitive)
  2. RPG (Action, Adventure)
  3. RTS
  4. MMO (non hot-key)
  5. Casual (Puzzle, lite SHMUP)

· Music
  1. Just about everything except Country and Rap/Hip-Hippity Hop, but deffinately some bass-centric stuff..
  2. Bass player

· Movies
  1. Just about everything except romance and musicals

Why I'm looking to upgrade, and what I'm looking for:
While my Senn PC350s have held up well, they are really lacking in a few areas; mainly soundstage, and bass (put it this way, the Logitech G35s [i got a chance to try them from a friend of mine] smoked these PC350s in every area). Also, while replaceable, the earpads are starting to wear badly.. It's just time for a worthwhile upgrade.

I started by looking into the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 ($80 - $100), seems like a great set of headphones, but I've heard a few downsides that have made me think twice, those being very "tinny" bass and "one-size-fits-all" troubles. I've also heard that a good sound card, and DAC could help the bass problem greatly, but I really have no knowledge on that subject.

All in all, looking for a set of headphones that will offer a great soundstage, as well as immersive bass (solid, rich punch).

I figured if I wanted "best-of-both-worlds" to find the right soundstage:solid-bass ratio I would need to increase my price range, so that I did.

Price Range:
$200 - $300

I don't think I left anything out, I can answer any other questions that need answering, thanks for help in advance.

Take a look at the Sennheiser HD 598. Excellent for gaming. Also look at the Ultrasone HFI 2400. I have them, and they are superb for gaming. PM me if you want more recommendations.... 
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #13,024 of 29,490
What source(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Mobile devices like Nokia N96 and my laptop. Laptop has 24 bit 192000 Hz output, Sony afterall. And N96 has better sounding than my other two Walkman Series W300 and W550i. Much better. And really able to fill my current creative headphones. Walkmans can't.

I will use the headphone with amp, but i will buy an amp later, like after 3 months. Amp will be portable, probably Fiio E11.

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #13,027 of 29,490

Quote:

I appreciate your reply, can you follow up with any specific reasons for your recomendations?

Yeah sure... Both the HD598 and the HFI 2400 have outstanding soundstage, which is important when gaming. If gaming is your main priority, DO NOT GET CLOSED HEADPHONES 
biggrin.gif
 The positioning of the sounds on both headphones are fantastic and very accurate. Other great headphones for this are the audio technica ath ad900, the AKG K701 or the grado sr225i.

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #13,028 of 29,490

Quote:
Yeah sure... Both the HD598 and the HFI 2400 have outstanding soundstage, which is important when gaming. If gaming is your main priority, DO NOT GET CLOSED HEADPHONES 
biggrin.gif
 The positioning of the sounds on both headphones are fantastic and very accurate. Other great headphones for this are the audio technica ath ad900, the AKG K701 or the grado sr225i.

What you mean is "If competitive gaming is your main priority...". Closed headphones tend to allow for more immersive gameplay at the expense of slight positional cue accuracy.

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #13,030 of 29,490

Quote:
right. That's what I meant lol 
biggrin.gif

Now, if you use competitive gaming friendly headphones with one of those tactile bass gizmos that attach to chairs, now THAT would be rather pleasant, having immersion and being competitive is indeed the best of both worlds :)

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #13,031 of 29,490

Quote:
What you mean is "If competitive gaming is your main priority...". Closed headphones tend to allow for more immersive gameplay at the expense of slight positional cue accuracy.

This is true, and is why I commented that I'm interested in both.. and honestly I really enjoy immersion over the open headphone soundstage importance.. I don't need to hear enemies tying their boots across the map.. I would like to have soundstage present, but like I said, I want the soundstage/solid bass balance, which is why I wanted to move up from the AD700..

I've been looking over this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/599486/best-combo-music-gaming-headphones-in-2012

and it seems pretty spot on to what I'm looking for, to which:

Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm ($180)
Asus Xonar DG, PCI sound card ($30)

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm ($180)
Fiio E9 ($90)

Seems like the most attractive approach. Still not sure entirely tho.. New to the "audiophile" scene, and I'm a heavy gamer (time, not size), so it puts me into a difficult predicament trying to find the proper balance..

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #13,032 of 29,490

Quote:
Seems like the most attractive approach. Still not sure entirely tho.. New to the "audiophile" scene, and I'm a heavy gamer (time, not size), so it puts me into a difficult predicament trying to find the proper balance..

Well, if gaming is your main concern, you have to go with a X-Fi powered card (excluding XtremeAudio variants, they lack the X-Fi DSP), as only those cards support the full gaming audio feature set. Basically a base Creative X-Fi Titanium outperforms all competing brands in gaming, and if you go higher on the scale, like getting an Auzentech X-Fi Forte or a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, you get the absolute best gaming source you can have.

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #13,034 of 29,490

Depends which headphones you get, and how much you value the gaming/music aspects.

If you want headphones that require decent amping and want music quality to be a priority, that card is a great choice.

If you just want great gaming and do not need as much on the amplification front you can definitely spend less and probably be just as happy.
Quote:
Is the ASUS Xonar Essence ST worthwhile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back