++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 10, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #6,016 of 29,490

Nothing more irritating that a dude telling newcomers this and this are the best cans in the market for a certain genre. 

Don't listen to Dsnuts.

Take out advice w/ a grain of salt and try them out at a store, and I mean really try them out.

Quote:
There is a reason why ultrasones have a huge following here at headfi.. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #6,017 of 29,490
Edited.
Decided to go with PC360 headphones. Just wondering how they are for movies, and what Soundcard would be recommended to drive them.
Would Asus Xonar DX be able to show them at their best with dolby headphones enabled?

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #6,018 of 29,490

Quote:
Nothing more irritating that a dude telling newcomers this and this are the best cans in the market for a certain genre. 

Don't listen to Dsnuts.

Take out advice w/ a grain of salt and try them out at a store, and I mean really try them out.

.. Why dont you tell us what is the best then.. Do you own an ultrasone can? I bet you are one of those guys the just tried them out..I know there are a thousand plus cans out in headfi land and everyone has different tastes.. See the difference between me and you is I actually own them and listen to the genres these guys want a good can for.. This thread is all about posting recommendations.. I am shure there are haters of the ultrasone sound. There are haters for every sound.. So I think you are right in that it is best left up to the person.. If any one is curious about the Ultrasone sound.. Sample em for yourselves.. That is perhaps the best advice when it comes to the sound...

If anything take all the advice on this thread with a bit of a grain of salt..Try out a set, see if you like it and then make a choice from there.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #6,019 of 29,490

Quote:

I'm currently looking for a good all around pair of sealed/closed headphones

It has to be closed headphones
I mostly listen to hip hop and all forms of techno (literally all forms). Those are the music categories I care about the most so if they fall behind in metal or something like that, I'm ok.
I will be watching t.v. with them
I will be playing games with them on my xbox/pc. I don't really care about surround sound tho for positioning in FPS games.

Changing my question to "whats the best headphones in the price range of $100-$350 for those needs?

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #6,020 of 29,490
Hello there! Im looking for £250-300 ($400-$500) cans for a basshead that mainly listens to electronic music and reggae with a bit of RnB hip hop. open or closed does not matter. doesnt matter if the headphones are 2nd hand. source will be an iphone with an arrow amp.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #6,021 of 29,490
Hello, I'm looking for comfortable, open headphones that are good for rock and long listening. I've done some searching and looks like the SR225i are the best, but they're quite expensive in my country. I can get them for ~$350 if I'm lucky. I'm thinking about HD598, are these good for rock?

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #6,022 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, I'm looking for comfortable, open headphones that are good for rock and long listening. I've done some searching and looks like the SR225i are the best, but they're quite expensive in my country. I can get them for ~$350 if I'm lucky. I'm thinking about HD598, are these good for rock?

You could always step down the line a bit.  Look for some Alessandro MS1s.  They often get compared with Grados quite a bit over their price and will likely offer you a better value outside the U.S.

There's also the MS2s which are more like the 325 equivalent.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #6,023 of 29,490

Quote:
You could always step down the line a bit.  Look for some Alessandro MS1s.  They often get compared with Grados quite a bit over their price and will likely offer you a better value outside the U.S.

There's also the MS2s which are more like the 325 equivalent.

Sadly Alessandro's are not even available in my country. Anyway I had a pair of SR60 and those were quite uncomfortable.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #6,024 of 29,490

Quote:

Sadly Alessandro's are not even available in my country. Anyway I had a pair of SR60 and those were quite uncomfortable.

Assuming that was with the comfies you'd likely have just as much discomfort with the bowl pads.  
frown.gif

Looks like the cards are stacked too high against grado for you in this case.  If someone doesn't chime in on behalf of the 598 look up some of the threads. (there's a million of them) I can't personally attest,  but I know that people are saying they do do well with rock.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #6,025 of 29,490
So far I love my Sennheiser HD 650's (with my dac/amp), they sound incredibly good. The open sound I found does limit my volume at work, so I may or may not be considering buying a second pair of headphones (one for work, one for home) :wink:.

Assuming a dac/amp is to be used, what are some really high quality closed (isolating) headphone options? I like the HD 650 sound a lot, but most importantly I don't want anything of lesser sound quality / detail / resolution, and hopefully not much less comfortable although I know the HD 650 is hard to beat in that area. Same price range would be nice ($400 ish), but I'm interested in hearing a variety of options too.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #6,026 of 29,490
the denon ah-d2000's would probably be a good pair to try. they are much lower impedence (25ohms i think) so i dont know how well they would work with your amp. but they are great sounding closed cans. im actually debating buying a pair right now. they dont clamp hard like sennheisers, but are very comfortable in their own way.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #6,027 of 29,490

Quote:
Which has the smoothest mids out of the Ultrasone HFI/PRO line?

In my experience... none of them.

Quote:
Hi

I'm looking to spend 250 euro (France) for headphones + amp/whatever's needed to upgrade from my AD700 (sold it to a friend). I have a Xonar D1, which I can try to sell if needed.

I use them on my computer (I wouldn't mind using them with my Sansa Fuze though). I listen mainly to alternate rock and pop and I play FPS games with them. Comfort during long periods of usage is very important.

I'm especially confused by amps, I never know what an amp can power sufficiently or what a certain headphone requires..

Thanks for any help! if you know of headphone/amp e-stores in France/EU, do tell.

Asus Xonar STX and Sennheiser PC350 will put you just a tiny bit over budget (going by Amazon.co.uk prices). Just find some local stores to price match or find sales and you should come in under budget. For headphones without mic, consider HD555/558/595/598 or Audio Technica AD700/900 (the former better for bass, the latter better for soundstage).

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #6,028 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for sub-$100 phones myself. Don't really have anywhere to start from other than a pair of SR-80s I have. Wanting something with a similar sound but a bit more thump in the bass. I'm not a basshead, but I do like my bass to make some impact. Looking for something with clear highs and mids and a mild emphasis on bass I guess, without being muffled. Not even sure I can get this in my price range.

I would recommend the Phiaton MS300, but they are a bit higher than your budget. They come close when they go on sale though, and I've seen them used for even lower.

Quote:
I'm from israel and im looking for a good headset for gaming for 150-170$ ,
i saw the SteelSeries 7H and sharkoon X-Tatic Digital , is anyone of them good ? i'm using the onboard soundcard

Sennheiser PC350 is good and fits in your budget, and also has excellent isolation if you game in a noisy environment.

Quote:

Quote:
I'm currently looking for a good all around pair of sealed/closed headphones

It has to be closed headphones

I mostly listen to hip hop and all forms of techno (literally all forms). Those are the music categories I care about the most so if they fall behind in metal or something like that, I'm ok.

I will be watching t.v. with them

I will be playing games with them on my xbox/pc. I don't really care about surround sound tho for positioning in FPS games.

Changing my question to "whats the best headphones in the price range of $100-$350 for those needs?

Beyerdynamic DT770 would fit well. Find one on sale and spend the rest on an amp.

Quote:

Can you give us an idea of what brands are available and their rough pricing?

Quote:
So far I love my Sennheiser HD 650's (with my dac/amp), they sound incredibly good. The open sound I found does limit my volume at work, so I may or may not be considering buying a second pair of headphones (one for work, one for home) :wink:.

Assuming a dac/amp is to be used, what are some really high quality closed (isolating) headphone options? I like the HD 650 sound a lot, but most importantly I don't want anything of lesser sound quality / detail / resolution, and hopefully not much less comfortable although I know the HD 650 is hard to beat in that area. Same price range would be nice ($400 ish), but I'm interested in hearing a variety of options too.

The two popular newcomers are the Shure 940 and Beyer DT1350. Moving up a bit, maybe a Smeggy Thunderpants?

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #6,029 of 29,490
So for example, the Shure 940 is absolutely not any less sound quality than Sennheiser HD 650? I'm not looking to downgrade.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #6,030 of 29,490
I am buying new headphones and I have a tight budget, so I've narrowed it down to 2 earphones:
The Radius Atomic Bass ($25 on amazon)
MEElectronics M6 ($23.28 on amazon)

I listen to lots of Rock and Punk. a little bit of dubstep and electronica, and some acoustic stuff.
What do you think of these? And do you have any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back