++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 9, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #5,986 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey again,

So I've been looking for a good, extra pair of headphones that might optimize my heavy metal experience. I own a pair of Sennheiser HD202's and they are quite wonderful, but I wonder if this one friend of mine's offer might offer an even better black/death/thrash metal experience.

You see, I've been offered a pair of [size=x-small]Panasonic RP-HTX7[/size][size=x-small]'s by a friend for $25. I've read good reviews online and on here, but nothing that specifically answers how they'd do with metal. Any feedback on that would be awesome.[/size]

(Failing that, would the RP-HTX7's be any good for classical? I've also been looking for a pair of headphones that are good for classical and choral music that are under $150 that I might get for Christmas...)

The panasonics I hear are Ok.. I listen to slayer sepultura on my kicker Hp541.. Nothing beats the Kicker for metal.. They cost $50 on BnH photo 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=kicker+hp541&N=0&InitialSearch=yes   .. It cost double your panasonics but I guarantee you will not find too many even higher priced cans that will sound better for metal..

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #5,987 of 29,490

Quote:
The panasonics I hear are Ok.. I listen to slayer sepultura on my kicker Hp541.. Nothing beats the Kicker for metal.. They cost $50 on BnH photo 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=kicker+hp541&N=0&InitialSearch=yes   .. It cost double your panasonics but I guarantee you will not find too many even higher priced cans that will sound better for metal..

Thank ya for pointing out the HP-541... but before I branch out I wanna hear more opinions about the RP-HTX's in terms of metal (and, like I said, classical to a lesser extent)...

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #5,988 of 29,490
I just bought the ATH-M50's and I love them.  However, the coiled wire is giving me a bit of trouble.  I plan on either selling these to buy a straight wire M50s or check out some wireless headphones.  If I do decide to grab a wireless headphone, what is the most similar to these M50's in price/quality?  And what are some cons of wireless headphones?  Most important aspects for me are price, bass, comfortability.  Thanks!

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #5,990 of 29,490
Quote:
Nice! I actually have some on the way too. The guy I bought them from said he'd write some cliff notes about modding them, I can hook you up if he doesn't post them here.

Please do!  Yeah, after reading through the "Thunderpants" thread, I'm actually really excited about these cans and am looking forward to some modding.  I've already spoken to Smeggy and I think I'm gonna grab one of his mod kits including the fabricated wooden cups, etc. in a week or two if I'm pleased with the T50RPs when they arrive.

But yeah, comprehensive modding instructions seem hard to find.  It's usually just a couple of pics with brief comments on what's being done, but no real walkthroughs.  So I'd appreciate anything you've got! 

I've got a feeling that once I'm done with these things, I'm going to be very pleased.  And I should come in just under my $300 total budget in the end.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #5,991 of 29,490

Quote:
I just bought the ATH-M50's and I love them.  However, the coiled wire is giving me a bit of trouble.  I plan on either selling these to buy a straight wire M50s or check out some wireless headphones.  If I do decide to grab a wireless headphone, what is the most similar to these M50's in price/quality?  And what are some cons of wireless headphones?  Most important aspects for me are price, bass, comfortability.  Thanks!

If you want good sound, don't go for wireless.

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #5,992 of 29,490

Quote:
If you want good sound, don't go for wireless.

I'm honestly not that picky when it comes to sound quality because like I said I am just a casual music listener and will only be using them for casual at home/in the car and am willing to exchange quality for comfortability/convenience to an extent..  If it matters, I listen to mostly hip-hop and prefer a lot of bass.  My M50's are fine, however I don't see the wow factor and for the price I feel like there is a decent wireless headphone out there, or a more powerful bass-ed straight wire.  (Good music isolation is preferred but not required.)

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #5,993 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm honestly not that picky when it comes to sound quality because like I said I am just a casual music listener and will only be using them for casual at home/in the car and am willing to exchange quality for comfortability/convenience to an extent..  If it matters, I listen to mostly hip-hop and prefer a lot of bass.  My M50's are fine, however I don't see the wow factor and for the price I feel like there is a decent wireless headphone out there, or a more powerful bass-ed straight wire.  (Good music isolation is preferred but not required.)

What's your budget? There are some decent wireless headphones, but they aren't cheap. If you're looking for a bassy portable, maybe consider the wireless AKGs. I haven't heard those particular models, but the closed/portable AKGs all tend to have a very thumpy bass. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #5,995 of 29,490

Quote:
My budget is around 150 and under.. I got my M50's for a steal, but decided they were not for me.  How do the AKGs compare to the Sony XB500s?

Both have accentuated and muddy-ish bass. Sony is comfortable, medium isolation. AKG clamps harder but isolates very well, is much more portable. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #5,997 of 29,490
Good info, thanks. Didn't know about the Phiatons or the SRH750DJ. I was originally looking for a replacement for my JVC HA-RX700s that I had lost. They mysteriously turned up today. Is anything in the under $150 price range really going to blow them away, or would I be better off upgrading my main everyday setup (Grado SR60 and a nuforce udac)? I'd be willing to open up my budget more for my everyday setup, and wouldn't be restricted to closed only. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #5,998 of 29,490

Quote:
So far it sounds like you prefer the AKG's for my desires, although it is the first time I've heard of them.  Is there a specific model/options you can recommend for me?

The only ones I'm aware of are the K830 and K840, but they aren't cheap...

Quote:
Good info, thanks. Didn't know about the Phiatons or the SRH750DJ. I was originally looking for a replacement for my JVC HA-RX700s that I had lost. They mysteriously turned up today. Is anything in the under $150 price range really going to blow them away, or would I be better off upgrading my main everyday setup (Grado SR60 and a nuforce udac)? I'd be willing to open up my budget more for my everyday setup, and wouldn't be restricted to closed only. 

In my experience, rolling around in that price bracket you're really just experimenting with different sounds. "Better" is entirely subjective when you're moving around sideways. I found better once I moved up to a $4-500 rig (headphone and amp combined). Moving beyond that and I don't really hear much to justify the diminishing returns. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #5,999 of 29,490

Quote:
So far it sounds like you prefer the AKG's for my desires, although it is the first time I've heard of them.  Is there a specific model/options you can recommend for me?

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-518-Limited-Folding-Headphones/dp/B0028N78DY/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1312947869&sr=8-14   try this one.. Bassier than the M50.
Also if you want a Bass can that sounds fantabulous for Hip hop I own a Ultrasone Dj1/ Hfi-580.. Can't recommend a better can for hip hop, trance, dub..

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #6,000 of 29,490
Quote:

Do you like the rx700s and just want something better? All those headphones you're looking at are going to have a lot more bass.

I'm not sure of anything around that price that has the punchy 50mm drivers of the rx700 and a similarly flat response. The SRH550 might be close, they're supposed to sound pretty good if you put 750dj earpads on it. Not many people have tried it though. Maybe someone else knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back