++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 10, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #6,002 of 29,490

Quote:
I think so, I really like the midrange on it. I wouldn't buy it unless you have really high quality music though, they're extremely revealing! The bass is very neutral too, so it might not have the punch you're after. If you're okay with that go ahead, they're really nice.

Yes, most of my music are in 320 kbps quality, I do have some flac files. So it sounds like HFI 580 is a solid choice for me :D
Well again, thanks a lot for the guidance.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #6,003 of 29,490

Quote:
The 580 is a bass heavy headphone, and Ultrasones tend to lose their mids amidst the bass. I did find the Pro550 to be a bit more balanced than the others though.

Greeting, Armaegis. My priority is the mid and the next is the bass. :) So for HFI580 at least I can get the second priority. I think I'm gonna go for them. I don't think I can afford the Pro series as I think they are a bit more expensive.
Thanks for the guidance.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #6,005 of 29,490

Thanks for your advice, Instead of the 880 I'll be buying the 770, because I will be using the cans mostly outside, and since the 770 are closed cans, including noice cancellation, they're better for my use I think. And I heard they have more bass, and I like listening to rock and that sort of stuff, so I'll buy the 770/32. 
I assume the 770/32 can be driven by a portable amp, so I think I'm not doubting anymore.

Thanks for your help, appreciate it very much!
Quote:

The DT880/32 can be driven by a portable amp. Even the 250 could be driven by an amp. A cmoy with 9V is the simplest option and relatively cheap.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #6,006 of 29,490
Which has the smoothest mids out of the Ultrasone HFI/PRO line?

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #6,008 of 29,490
Hi

I'm looking to spend 250 euro (France) for headphones + amp/whatever's needed to upgrade from my AD700 (sold it to a friend). I have a Xonar D1, which I can try to sell if needed.

I use them on my computer (I wouldn't mind using them with my Sansa Fuze though). I listen mainly to alternate rock and pop and I play FPS games with them. Comfort during long periods of usage is very important.

I'm especially confused by amps, I never know what an amp can power sufficiently or what a certain headphone requires..

Thanks for any help! if you know of headphone/amp e-stores in France/EU, do tell.

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #6,009 of 29,490
Hey all,

I am in the market for some headphones. Got a new laptop and I am buying a FIIO E7 DAC/amp to make it produce better sound. Now I just have to find a perfect pair of head phones for max $400! I listen to indie, rock, blues and classical etc. depending on the mood. I would prefer a clean sound that is not biased towards bass. I'm listening to flac. files on the laptop and transferring them to my smartphone currently. If if find the smartphones no good once I get the phones I'll buy a Cohen. I found the Sennheiser MM 450 really exciting until an audiophile explained to me it decodes with A2DP technology which is lossy. This is no good since I've gone to the trouble to re-rip everything to flac. I would love one pair of headphones that sound as mentioned above but are also travel friendly like the 450's; the design of those are great. I have heard mention of a apt-X codec that makes bluetooth set ups almost lossless and it is sold with some Sennheiser models. Is this true and does it work? I don't necessarily need the bluetooth function, these phones come with a wired capability too. Would they be lossless quality with the wire connected?

Interested to hear what others think of these phones and hit me with recommendations of other phones if the MM 450's can't produce lossless sound any which way. Noise canceling isn't a necessity but it would get used.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #6,011 of 29,490

I'm currently looking for a good all around pair of sealed headphones, I was thinking of getting the M50's...

I need something that is good all around, and I really mean all around. 

My list of requirements is simple, but I need something which can do a little bit of everything

It has to be sealed headphones
I mostly listen to hip hop and all forms of techno (literally all forms). Those are the music categories I care about the most so if they fall behind in metal or something like that, I'm ok.
I will be watching t.v. with them
I will be playing games with them on my xbox/pc. I don't really care about surround sound tho for positioning in FPS games.

So I guess what I'm asking is, are the M50's good or is there something better in the price range of 100-350$?

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #6,012 of 29,490
I'm having a really hard time thinking of a pair of closed headphones that will sound how you want these to sound.  To me, it sounds like you would really enjoy something in the open Audio-Technica, AKG or Sennheiser line, but most closed headphones aren't ideal in those genres.  There are a few exceptions, of course.  If the Beyerdynamic DT250 isn't too bulky, it would give you really nice sound for those genres.  It's not portable, but a DT880 would also be something you'd probably enjoy with your setup there.
Quote:
Hey all,

I am in the market for some headphones. Got a new laptop and I am buying a FIIO E7 DAC/amp to make it produce better sound. Now I just have to find a perfect pair of head phones for max $400! I listen to indie, rock, blues and classical etc. depending on the mood. I would prefer a clean sound that is not biased towards bass. I'm listening to flac. files on the laptop and transferring them to my smartphone currently. If if find the smartphones no good once I get the phones I'll buy a Cohen. I found the Sennheiser MM 450 really exciting until an audiophile explained to me it decodes with A2DP technology which is lossy. This is no good since I've gone to the trouble to re-rip everything to flac. I would love one pair of headphones that sound as mentioned above but are also travel friendly like the 450's; the design of those are great. I have heard mention of a apt-X codec that makes bluetooth set ups almost lossless and it is sold with some Sennheiser models. Is this true and does it work? I don't necessarily need the bluetooth function, these phones come with a wired capability too. Would they be lossless quality with the wire connected?

Interested to hear what others think of these phones and hit me with recommendations of other phones if the MM 450's can't produce lossless sound any which way. Noise canceling isn't a necessity but it would get used.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #6,013 of 29,490
Looking for sub-$100 phones myself. Don't really have anywhere to start from other than a pair of SR-80s I have. Wanting something with a similar sound but a bit more thump in the bass. I'm not a basshead, but I do like my bass to make some impact. Looking for something with clear highs and mids and a mild emphasis on bass I guess, without being muffled. Not even sure I can get this in my price range.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #6,015 of 29,490

Quote:
Which has the smoothest mids out of the Ultrasone HFI/PRO line?

There is a misconception when it comes to Ultrasones.. It isn't that they have recessed mids.. They have a unique sound..  The S logic surround tech makes it seem like the mids are a bit off but in reality they are not..I think ultrasones in general have a unique sound signature in part because of the tech involved in creating the sound..For me at least this creates something different.
There are so many CANs out there that have a "balanced" sound they tend to become boring..
HFI-580 big bold BASS while not bleeding into the other signatures. FUN is what this can is about
HFI-680 balanced.. If overall balance is what your looking for this is it..
HFI-780 widest sound stage out of the 3..The most precise out of the 3. THE BEST TRANCE CAN of all time here!!   

All 3 are unique to their properties.. And don't suffer from any type of weakness in sound.. If any of you guys want something different sounding that is defined in character while offering a surround type sound. There is a reason why ultrasones have a huge following here at headfi.. I would recommend any of them and they deserve to be in everyones collection.

One last thing.. I have seen guys that don't even have a particular set saying this or that about the sounds on em.. Don't judge until you have one.. Nothing irritates me more than some dude saying this or that without even owning them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back