++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #6,031 of 29,490
Hi, I don't know anything about headphones (have always used iems/earphones) so I need some help :). I'm looking for a <$100 pair of headphones that are warm. If it's portable, all the better. Trying to avoid open headphones in case I want to use them in a library or something, so isolation/bleeding are above-moderately important. Overall just looking for warm headphones with clarity and easy-listening (dont want to get tired). Thanks!

P.S. Some stuff I listen to:
Sigur Ros
Alcest
Cynic
The Fifteenth
Explosions in the Sky
The Radio Dept.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #6,033 of 29,490
Hey guys i currently sport the awesome Westone 3 IEM's, I've come to the conclusion that as awesome as they are it's a pain in the ass to put them on or take them off while in my office or room. I prefer them for commuting on the bike or traveling. I'm looking for headphones within 300-500 dollar range that will have the sound stage of the W3's or better. Something that hopefully drown out outside noise too. Thanks!

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #6,034 of 29,490
Try the JVC HAS600, or the HAS700.. Both are around $30 on amazon. They pretty much describe what you need for not so much money.. Try em. They are very impressive for the price payed. The memory foam on the cup seals very nicely on normal sized ears and actually isolates better than most portables I have. Full on dynamics on the sound including bass..

Fun sounding cans and musical detail is very evident in the sound signature.. There are better more expensive ones but these are cheap enough to just try out and see how you like em..They do require a bit of burn in. I would say 100-150ish but after they impressed me.

Quote:
Hi, I don't know anything about headphones (have always used iems/earphones) so I need some help :). I'm looking for a <$100 pair of headphones that are warm. If it's portable, all the better. Trying to avoid open headphones in case I want to use them in a library or something, so isolation/bleeding are above-moderately important. Overall just looking for warm headphones with clarity and easy-listening (dont want to get tired). Thanks!

Sigur Ros
Alcest
Cynic
The Fifteenth
Explosions in the Sky
The Radio Dept.

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #6,035 of 29,490

There are 2 .Both these are supra aural on the ear and portable.. One should be similar to the XB series but the other I have and can recommend em to you..
The pioneer HDJ500s. $86 .. No one here at headfi has em I suspect. But the Bass is not as boomy as your XB500.. It sounds more like a CLUB type Bass with nice boom and extension..About equal in impact to my Ultrasone DJ1s. Comes in 3 different colors.. White/chrome,  Red/black,  and black/chrome.. All 3 are very stylish I might add..

They are DJ cans but will have more full dynamic sound hands down over the XB700.. Fairly decent soundstage for closed cans and can deliver good definition in the acoustics, Bass is full and robust on em as well making them really good for Bass featured music .. Very comfy and isolating.

.. .. The other is the Audio Technica WS55Bk Solid Bass.. Just hit the US market.. I ordered mine off of buy.com yesterday for $86.. No one had heard them here either I suspect. I hear there is a clamping force on this one and I have no idea how well it isolates..I will post impressions on this one on the WS55 solid bass thread once I get em...
Quote:
Ok, so I'm looking for some over the ear headphones under $85 that have huge bass (other than the Sony xb series) and are comfortable and don't leak sound

IF you absolutely need a over ear the only other set that is even close to the XB sonys within your price range would be the Xteem Xplosives JVCs. and the skull crushers. .But the word ain't so good on either of em..The Audio Technica Pro700Mk2s are similar but cost $140ish. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #6,038 of 29,490

Quote:
So for example, the Shure 940 is absolutely not any less sound quality than Sennheiser HD 650? I'm not looking to downgrade.

There aren't too many options for closed headphones. Actually, I forgot about the Audio Technicas. There's the W1000x, W5000, A2000x, etc.

Quote:
I am buying new headphones and I have a tight budget, so I've narrowed it down to 2 earphones:
The Radius Atomic Bass ($25 on amazon)
MEElectronics M6 ($23.28 on amazon)

I listen to lots of Rock and Punk. a little bit of dubstep and electronica, and some acoustic stuff.
What do you think of these? And do you have any suggestions?

I don't know too much in that price bracket, but just based on things I've read, go with the M6. But check out reviews on your own. Also read Joker's large portables thread for other budget considerations.

Quote:

Sigur Ros
Alcest
Cynic
The Fifteenth
Explosions in the Sky
The Radio Dept.

I like the Sennheiser PX200-ii.

Quote:
Ok, so I'm looking for some over the ear headphones under $85 that have huge bass (other than the Sony xb series) and are comfortable and don't leak sound

Can't think of anything new in budget... if you go used, maybe an Ultrasone HFi580/DJ1 or Shure 750. 

Quote:
Hey guys i currently sport the awesome Westone 3 IEM's, I've come to the conclusion that as awesome as they are it's a pain in the ass to put them on or take them off while in my office or room. I prefer them for commuting on the bike or traveling. I'm looking for headphones within 300-500 dollar range that will have the sound stage of the W3's or better. Something that hopefully drown out outside noise too. Thanks!

Perhaps one of the large winged Audio Technicas, or an Ultrasone?

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #6,042 of 29,490

Quote:
Any attractive alternative to the Sony XB500's?  They sound like they are the headphones for me but they are just too big and ugly and I will be wearing these in public.  Thanks

do you want another set of iems or some over ear or on ear cans?

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #6,043 of 29,490

Quote:
Any attractive alternative to the Sony XB500's?  They sound like they are the headphones for me but they are just too big and ugly and I will be wearing these in public.  Thanks

What is your budget? It depends on how much you are willing to spend..If you want to wear em out in public but don't want to look like princess Leia like tires on your head. Try these and they have nice amount of good clean full bass on em.. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HDJ-500W-DJ-Headphones-White/dp/B004FVVQIK/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1313016942&sr=8-14 .. Like i said before these are supra aural but isolate really well and look awesome sauce and not so clownish in public.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #6,045 of 29,490
Cheers Joel,
I checked out the Beyerdynamic DT250's they seem really good. I was hoping to get a single pair of phones that I could use for traveling and using with my computer setup. The Beyer's are abit to big for travel for me. Maybe I'm going to find it impossible to get a set that can fufill both roles well enough. Maybe I should just get the Beyer's for home. And a smaller pair for travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back