++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #6,061 of 29,490
Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster here. Here's what I'm looking for:

Super comfortable headphones for long listening sessions, ~$200, that sound good with the following musical genres: ambient, dubstep, alternative, metal, shoegaze, classical, folk, jazz, hip hop, trip hop, visual kei.

No amp. Listening from Macbook Pro or Samsung charge. Mostly using pandora, grooveshark, and internet radio stations.

Best headphones so far were Sony MDR V600s that my dog destroyed. Want something with more detail and better bass. Leaning toward DT 770s (80ohm). Especially since I can get them new for $170 right now.

Thanks in advance. Would really appreciate some help.
beyersmile.png

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #6,062 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I opened a thread here a while ago and I was asking what would be a good upgrade from the HD555s, but haven't reached a definite conclusion yet, and i'm still considering the HD600s or the HD650s... and bundle it with an Essence ST sound card.

I listen to a variety of different genres; hard rock, heavy metal, death metal, progressive rock, electronic music, classical music, pop, jazz, etc... and i'm also planning to play video games and watch movies with them... What would you recommend?

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #6,063 of 29,490
New closed phones for games and movies.

I'm looking for new closed headphones with the following requirements...

... but before I start, here's where I'm transitioning from:

History:

- Grado SR-80, 125 (did not like, too bright)
 - Sennheiser HD600, HD650 (liked quite a lot. I'm not bothered by the infamous 'veil' for most of my non-critical listening)
 - AKG 271, 701 (too distant, too slow, although I did grow slightly fond of the 701 even though it's distant)
 - AT ATH-W5000 (pleasant mid-range emphasis, not the most articulate bass, but great otherwise. Superb wearing comfort. Just barely enough isolation. Not for critical listening)
 - Beyerdynamic DT 770 / 32 Ohm (great for games, very good isolation, enough of bass with an amp. clearly not for critical listening)
 - Ultrasone 650 (no, way too bright, uncomfortable)
 - Westone 3 (my current on the go pick, like the quite a bit)

Now the requirements and intended use. My budget is below $700. Main use is movies so spacious imaging is a slight plus as is the bass deparment.

Must be closed, cannot leak sound. Actual incoming sound isolation is a plus, but not a total requirement.

Will be driving the headphones via a headphone amp (unbalanced). Enough power to drive all current mass production dynamic headphones at decent levels.

Sometimes will be using unamped straight off the laptop headphone out for non-critical listening for short periods.

Build quality and wear comfort are extremely important. Must not break apart easily. I like beyerdynamic quite alot in this deparment. Sennheiser lately less and less.

Fully circumaural construction for mid-sized ears.

Do not want:

- too bright
 - too harsh or pseudo-detailed sound (artificial bump in the presence region of hearing)
 - overblown, but one-note bass
 - too tight headband

Any suggestions?

Beyerdynamic T5P is out of my price range. Not sure about Denon AH-D7000 (cannot audition anywhere).

What other options are there?

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #6,064 of 29,490
I'm yet another person looking for some advice.

I've had two bad headphone experiences now.  First, I got sucked in by the old-school allure of Grado four years ago and got a pair of SR-80s.  Over time I came to hate them.  They're harsh and irritating to listen to for long periods of time, and they're not very comfortable either.  I can't recall what kind of madness made me think they were a good idea, but I sorely regret it now.

Looking to upgrade some things, I bought myself a DAC/headphone amp a couple months ago, the Beresford TC-7520 Caiman.  It suits my purposes perfectly.

Just two weeks ago, I started looking around for a replacement pair of headphones to go with it.  After some research, I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880/600s, and I was shocked to find out that they're not all that different from the Grados.  More detailed and refined, yes, more comfortable, yes, but still bright to the point of being painful.  They're okay to listen to with classical and soft jazz and other accoustic music lacking detail above 8kHz, and where bass impact isn't an issue, but they're just awful when it comes to rock.  (Which makes up about 75% of my listening.)  They have a spike around 10k that some people may interpret as detailed, but comes across to me as unnecessarily harsh and brutal.  I'm in the process of returning them right now.

So what other options do I have in a similar price range?  I won't consider closed-back headphones, and I'm stuck with the Beresford as my only amp for the foreseeable future.  (Though as of yet I see no reason why this should be a bad thing.)  Is it worth saving up some extra for a pair of HD650s?  Looking around, I get the feeling that my listening preferences are pointing me squarely in the direction of Sennheiser, whether I like it or not.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #6,065 of 29,490
Welcome to Head-Fi Dansk.

The HD650 is great for rock imo, particularly if you enjoy an enveloping and textured presentation. Acoustics are rendered with a nuanced and natural tone, and distorted guitars are layered with body and crunch. Bass can be a tad smeared depending on your gear, but it's deep and musical. Vocals are a major strength.

Don't know much about your amp/dac, but the HD650 scales amazingly well to what it's hooked up to. I believe descriptions of a slow and veiled signature point to deficiencies in the chain. If you find good synergy with your gear, you'll discover a versatile and engaging headphone.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #6,066 of 29,490
Ok, so I've been reading through tons of articles/reviews on the Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 phones (including the amazing comparison guide on this site), but I have a few questions still. First, I assume it's a must to get an amp for any of these, and I've been looking at the Fiio E9 which would be plugged into my Creative X-fi card in my PC. Do you think it'll do the trick? 

Now for my second and last question. I understand the 600Ohm versions are superior, but not necessarily by much. But is there an explanation to the huge difference in prices between the 250 and 600Ohm headphones? Is it really worth emptying your wallet COMPLETELY to get the 600Ohm version?

- Khaine775

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #6,067 of 29,490

Quote:
If you read, I said having a post count here means nothing, which implies that unless he has some form of proof that he owns all the headphones he recommends, I wouldn't believe him. And it seems I've mixed up his profile with someone else's, making a complete fool out of myself.

These past few days at head-fi have been really a pain.

1. Not having people with PhDs or EE degrees who could give proper scientific answers. It really says something about the community when a clueless foo like me pops up with what I see as a valid question that can be explained w/ science, and no one can give a decent reply, not even the engineers.
2. People who recommend headphones to others when they know jack about those headphones.

Edit: Gonna take a break and cool off, lol. Headphones is serious business. :s

Why are you on these forums if you're so skeptical of the experience and knowledge of its members? Your sense of entitlement is obnoxious and your attack on the generosity of others is offensive.

You still owe Dsnuts (lol) an apology.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #6,068 of 29,490
I already did. Was a bad mix-up, both had same number of posts, I was sleepy.
Still no excuse though, and I hope Dsnuts doesn't take any offence to my prev post. 

I'm skeptical mainly because these nice folks who aren't engineers or professional music mixers or what-nots are far more helpful in their replies than the people who claim all sorts of things in their profile.

And to be honest, imo, the head-fi society seems to be very elitist; hating on people who use Beats, threads about more popular and expensive headphones being replies way faster than small "trivial" threads. People don't go out of their way to help others, often providing one off answers like "get the M50". But of course there are plenty of people who are willing to help newbies, Malveau, Chrislangley, tmraven, botbyte, etc. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #6,069 of 29,490
Hello, I was just recommended here from another forum. There are so many headphones out there and if you read my details below, I hope you guys can give me a couple suggestions because I am absolutely clueless.

I am starting college in a couple weeks and need a pair of headphones so I won't disturb my roommate. Based on the knowledgeable guy who directed me here, he recommends I get a pair of over-the-ear, close-backed, headphones in order to not disturb my roommate. I have no idea if the escaping noise deems it necessary to need closed over open-backed. I'm not the kind of person that blasts their volume up high, but keep in mind we will be in the same room.

My preferred budget range is $50-$100, closer to $50 if possible, but can go over triple digits if going under will sacrifice quality too much. If there are great closed-back headphones actually under $50, all the better.

I definitely need to keep my roommate in mind, but also not have to sacrifice sound quality significantly if at all possible. So I can pay more if highly suggested, but my preferred budget is better for the time being.

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #6,070 of 29,490

Quote:

And to be honest, imo, the head-fi society seems to be very elitist; hating on people who use Beats, threads about more popular and expensive headphones being replies way faster than small "trivial" threads. People don't go out of their way to help others, often providing one off answers like "get the M50". But of course there are plenty of people who are willing to help newbies, Malveau, Chrislangley, tmraven, botbyte, etc. 

It's often hard for those of us who haven't heard a bunch of headphones under $100.  I've heard a handful of cheapies, but they all kind of blur together, and I can't just recommend the Sennheiser PX-100 to everyone.  We do try, though.

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #6,071 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello, I was just recommended here from another forum. There are so many headphones out there and if you read my details below, I hope you guys can give me a couple suggestions because I am absolutely clueless.

I am starting college in a couple weeks and need a pair of headphones so I won't disturb my roommate. Based on the knowledgeable guy who directed me here, he recommends I get a pair of over-the-ear, close-backed, headphones in order to not disturb my roommate. I have no idea if the escaping noise deems it necessary to need closed over open-backed. I'm not the kind of person that blasts their volume up high, but keep in mind we will be in the same room.

My preferred budget range is $50-$100, closer to $50 if possible, but can go over triple digits if going under will sacrifice quality too much. If there are great closed-back headphones actually under $50, all the better.

I definitely need to keep my roommate in mind, but also not have to sacrifice sound quality significantly if at all possible. So I can pay more if highly suggested, but my preferred budget is better for the time being.

What are you using them for? Do you know what kind of sound do you like?

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #6,072 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok, so I've been reading through tons of articles/reviews on the Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 phones (including the amazing comparison guide on this site), but I have a few questions still. First, I assume it's a must to get an amp for any of these, and I've been looking at the Fiio E9 which would be plugged into my Creative X-fi card in my PC. Do you think it'll do the trick? 

Now for my second and last question. I understand the 600Ohm versions are superior, but not necessarily by much. But is there an explanation to the huge difference in prices between the 250 and 600Ohm headphones? Is it really worth emptying your wallet COMPLETELY to get the 600Ohm version?

- Khaine775

ZombieX wrote a really good guide for that here.  To some extent, it really depends on what you are using to amp them.  If you have an amp that's designed to drive headphones around 250 ohms, the 250ohm one will probably sound better than the 600ohm one.  If you have an amp that can comfortable feed the high impedance version, that will have the best results.  There are a few solid state amps that are designed specifically to feed tons of power into a low-impedance load, and I bet the 32 ohm ones really sing on those systems.  I would say the difference is mild, but distinct.  With the Fiio E9, they claim it can drive the 600ohm ones, but 80mW isn't a lot at that kind of load.

I would say start by reading the linked thread, then weigh the expected difference against the cost difference.  All three do require some solid amplification for good sound, but all should also be excellent headphones that you will enjoy.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #6,073 of 29,490

Quote:

History:

- Sennheiser HD600, HD650 (liked quite a lot. I'm not bothered by the infamous 'veil' for most of my non-critical listening)
 - AKG 271, 701 (too distant, too slow, although I did grow slightly fond of the 701 even though it's distant)
 - AT ATH-W5000 (pleasant mid-range emphasis, not the most articulate bass, but great otherwise. Superb wearing comfort. Just barely enough isolation. Not for critical listening)
 - Beyerdynamic DT 770 / 32 Ohm (great for games, very good isolation, enough of bass with an amp. clearly not for critical listening)

Now the requirements and intended use. My budget is below $700. Main use is movies so spacious imaging is a slight plus as is the bass deparment.

Must be closed, cannot leak sound. Actual incoming sound isolation is a plus, but not a total requirement.

Will be driving the headphones via a headphone amp (unbalanced). Enough power to drive all current mass production dynamic headphones at decent levels.

Sometimes will be using unamped straight off the laptop headphone out for non-critical listening for short periods.

Build quality and wear comfort are extremely important. Must not break apart easily. I like beyerdynamic quite alot in this deparment. Sennheiser lately less and less.

Do not want:

- too bright
 - too harsh or pseudo-detailed sound (artificial bump in the presence region of hearing)
 - too tight headband

Any suggestions?

Beyerdynamic T5P is out of my price range. Not sure about Denon AH-D7000 (cannot audition anywhere).

Hmm...

The Denon isn't a bad idea, but you don't necessarily have to climb up to the D7000--people say excellent things about the 2000 and 5000 as well (I have not heard either of them, but nobody else has jumped in yet, so there you go).

If you don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty with some modding, you've also just described the overall sound of a pair of slightly modded T50RP.  They have a smoothed off high end without losing detail, have nicely textured and clear bass, and they are pretty comfortable and easily adjustable.  I think it would at least be worth an audition.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #6,074 of 29,490
I'm looking to get some advice on buying some new headphones. I've never owned a pair of over the ear headphones. Currently, I listen to music through Klipsch s4, which I love, but would like something better. I'm in college and need something that has good sound isolation and does not leak. I mostly listen to hip-hop/ rap, and some rock. I also occassionally watch movies.

I've heard the ATH-M50 is pretty good, but have also read some mixed reviews. Does you guys think the M50 is a good fit for me, or have any other suggestions for headphones? I would like to stay under $150.

Thanks

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #6,075 of 29,490

Quote:
Though I primarily listen to Hip-Hop, which would imply a bass focus, there's nothing better IMO than refined, crisp mids. Upgrading (not sidestepping , mind you) from M50's because while they are still great fun cans after they've been modded, they become a bit more neutral to me; the bass is oh so slightly thinner, but it's the artificial treble and mids that are becoming more apparent that put me in the mood for upgrading.

Ergo I'm looking for a more intense, fun pair of cans such as Ultrasones, but I want ones with more forward and clean mids. Seems like the Pro 900s are the most bassy, which is a nice plus, but I guess I'll have to find a demo pair in a retail store (which won't be easy) before I drop $350.
atsmile.gif

Maybe Shure 940? By all accounts like the 840 but with bass tuned down and midrange brought into  focused. 

Quote:
im back not that anyone cares anyways im i had a look at the shures but im not sure bout the looks all i want is something better then the ms1 i realized i have 7 pairs of in ears so maybe something bulkier wont be the end of the world any ways im thinking a700 or ad700 or esw9 or m50 coiled and maybe the sennheiser 555

Well you're all over the place with those choices... you've got full sized, open and closed, portables and not... based purely on sound and personal preference I would go with the ESW9a.

Quote:
Hi, guys I need headphone recommendation.

Budget: $300
Music: mainly rock (for example: Green Day, Ac/dc, guns n roses, the clash)
Amp: for now I've dac/amp ef2

Expectation: great sounding guitars, decent soundstage, not too fatiguing.

As I owned sr60, I'm thinking of grado sr225i or sr325is, and now the question which one will suit my needs better? Maybe you've got other good recommendations for me?

Really try to audition 325 before buying them. They take the typical grado sound and up the zing factor by a bit. 

Quote:
Hi folks, just joined hoping to get some advice. I'm looking to get some new cans in the somewhat near future. I'd prefer to get circumaural, because back when I had an on ear pair my ears hurt horribly after prolonged use. I know this might not be the case with a different model but I don't want to tempt fate. They'd also pretty much need to be closed, because I plan to use them in public often (in a fashion that would necessitate portability), including in a library (I'm a college student). For that same reason, if I could do without an amp (with an iPod or computer) that would be optimal. I listen to mostly rock, indie, some metal, and some electronic music, with some hip hop peppered in there, but my priority would be the best sound for rock and indie/folk. Budget is max $200.

Not ideal specifications I know.

Oh and when I say portability, I don't mind carrying a big pair of headphones around, I just mean an amp wouldn't work out.

standard recommendations:
Senn HD280 or HD380 (these are hard to beat for isolation)
Audio Technica M50
Shure 840

Quote:
Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster here. Here's what I'm looking for:

Super comfortable headphones for long listening sessions, ~$200, that sound good with the following musical genres: ambient, dubstep, alternative, metal, shoegaze, classical, folk, jazz, hip hop, trip hop, visual kei.

No amp. Listening from Macbook Pro or Samsung charge. Mostly using pandora, grooveshark, and internet radio stations.

Best headphones so far were Sony MDR V600s that my dog destroyed. Want something with more detail and better bass. Leaning toward DT 770s (80ohm). Especially since I can get them new for $170 right now.

Thanks in advance. Would really appreciate some help.
beyersmile.png

Most comfortable headphones that I've tried:
Phiaton PS500
Senn PX100 and PX100-ii
B&W P5
AKG K240

Quote:
Hi guys,

I opened a thread here a while ago and I was asking what would be a good upgrade from the HD555s, but haven't reached a definite conclusion yet, and i'm still considering the HD600s or the HD650s... and bundle it with an Essence ST sound card.

I listen to a variety of different genres; hard rock, heavy metal, death metal, progressive rock, electronic music, classical music, pop, jazz, etc... and i'm also planning to play video games and watch movies with them... What would you recommend?

I think the 600/650 would be a good upgrade, though personally I would consider a different brand just to play with different sounds. If you like Senn though, by all means stay with what you know and like.

You might consider something like an AKG K701 or Audio Technica AD900/1000/2000

Quote:

History:

Do not want:

- too bright
 - too tight headband

Any suggestions?

Wow, you've run quite the gamut of headphones there... random suggestions:
Shure 940
Smeggy Thunderpants
Pioneer HDJ-2000

Quote:

- Khaine775

It isn't a *must*, but it highly recommended. It's difficult to get good volume and bass control out of them otherwise. 

The e9 will be just fine.

The prices fluctuate all the time. Just wait for a sale and the 600 ohm will drop sooner or later.

Quote:

Given the college environment, you'll probably want to keep noise out just as much as preventing it from leaking out. I would recommend the Sennheiser HD280, which is the absolutely king of isolation short of iems. 

Quote:
It's often hard for those of us who haven't heard a bunch of headphones under $100.  I've heard a handful of cheapies, but they all kind of blur together, and I can't just recommend the Sennheiser PX-100 to everyone.  We do try, though.

As far as "safe" recommendations go though, the PX100 is a great choice 
cool.gif
 Now if only they could have maintained that same warm fuzzy sound in a closed container. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back